Where to stop NJ-HHI

deanna2426

DIS Veteran
We are taking our first trip to HHI the week before Labor Day. It is about a 12 hour drive from our home in New Jersey. We will be traveling with a two year old and a six year old, so we are thinking of breaking the driving into two days.

Does anyone know of a nice, clean place with a pool about 8 hours into the trip? Any fun side trips along the way?

Thanks for any suggestions.

The Hampton Inns are usually a good choice. We generally stay in Santee, SC but this is further than you want to go. (We are in Northern NJ) Breakfast is included which is a big timesaver for us and many are located near chain restaurants. Not all have pools however so you need to check the individual hotels to make sure there is one - and booking online is a snap. You are probably looking for the area on 95? between the bottom of Va and first half of No. Carolina. depending on where you are in Jersey.

I might be doing this drive soon. What I was going to do was get an early start and do most of my driving that first day. I'd then stop at a cheap motel no more than an hour away from Hilton Head. I'd then go to Hilton Head the next morning. I figured there's no reason to waste points by arriving right at Hilton Head that night. This way, I'll get to enjoy the full day at Hilton Head.

I would stop at Newark, N.J., hop on a plane, and forget about that 12 hour drive.

deanna2426 said:
We are taking our first trip to HHI the week before Labor Day. It is about a 12 hour drive from our home in New Jersey. We will be traveling with a two year old and a six year old, so we are thinking of breaking the driving into two days.

Does anyone know of a nice, clean place with a pool about 8 hours into the trip? Any fun side trips along the way?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Lumberton has a Fairfield Inn with a pool, it's about 8 hours from us here in Bergen County. It has a Cracker Barrel right next door.
It's 4 hours from there to the resort.
We;ve stayed there a few times and it's been fine. They also have a Continental breakfats which is good.

It usually takes us 12 hours from Baltimore, once it was 11 but only once. I figure from baltimore it is about 3-5 hours to the virginia line depending on traffic, 3 hours to north carolina 3 hours to SC. 2 hours to Ga. Once you get to the Hilton Head exit it is another 45 minutes to the resort. Maybe that could help you pinpoint a stop. Nancy

Par8hed said:
I would stop at Newark, N.J., hop on a plane, and forget about that 12 hour drive.

That thought has crossed my mind as well. I'll see.

Another chain you might want to check out is the Country Inn and Suites. I think they're mostly in the South, so you may not be too familiar with them.

They are not real costly and seem to have very good standards as far as cleanliness, etc. and they're usually right off the highway.

If you're traveling with kids, you can sometimes get a mini-suite for a little more room and privacy. They also have a decent free breakfast!

We just drove from MA a few weeks ago (children are 9,7,3). The total driving time (not including stops) is about 17 hours. Our original plan was to make it Rocky Mount, NC which is about 10-11 hours for us. Lots of places to stay there. We ended up going to Florence, SC so that we only had 2.5-3 hours left the second day. Lots of places in Florence too. We stayed at a Springhill Suites. Very clean and free breakfast the next day. The ride, by the way, was fine. We are looking forward to doing it again next year.

It's been a long while since I've made that drive, so things might be different now, but I'd make this suggestion: before you check into any hotel make sure you're not in a dry county! Apparently there are some in the Carolinas. After eight hours in a car with a two and a six year old the last thing you want is a dry town!

Disneyaholic said:
Another chain you might want to check out is the Country Inn and Suites. I think they're mostly in the South, so you may not be too familiar with them.

They are not real costly and seem to have very good standards as far as cleanliness, etc. and they're usually right off the highway.

If you're traveling with kids, you can sometimes get a mini-suite for a little more room and privacy. They also have a decent free breakfast!

There is a Country Inn & Suites in Lumberton, NC and they are usually nice as Disneyaholic states.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I think Lumberton, NC might be best for us...about 8 hours from our house and then we'll only have about 4 more hours the next day.

I also called MS today and got a 1 bedroom cash for Friday night. The rate was only $165, so I grabbed it!

Thanks again!

deanna2426, I am glad you asked, I was wondering the same thing. We are also driving from NJ, leaving on Aug.26. I was wondering if I should make arrangements now or just play it by ear. It sounds like there are a lot of decent places to stop along the way, so I think we will drive till we don't want to any more. We will be traveling with 3 kids 4,7,9.

Chrissybear, sounds like we'll be there the same time! I have two boys, ages 2 and 6.

We'll be sure to look for you!!!

Deanna2426, I have 2 girls and the youngest is a boy. We are looking forward to the trip. I hope to see you there.

We have stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Lumberton, NC a few times & like it. They have a continental breakfast in the morning. The hotel has always been clean & we feel safe.

We also drive from the Baltimore area, and we stayed in Florence SC. It is a pretty long drive, but the beauty of it was a relatively short drive the next day. We left early the first day, and then had a good nights sleep and arrived in Hilton Head rested and in good spirits.

I HIGHLY recommend the Holiday Inn Express 1-20 @ I95 Civic Center in Florence. I used this link to find and make reservations

http://www.res99.com/nexres/search/...&country=US&header=ExitGuide&footer=ExitGuide

It was spotless, comfortable beds with 2 queen beds in the room, clean pool, very good free breakfast, free newspapers, free business center with internet service to check your email or fool around. It is adjacent to a Target and mall and an Outback. We liked it so much we stayed there on our way home from WDW (where we went after a week at HH).

You can go to www.res99.com for other ideas. Good Luck. Sandie

sandieb said:
We also drive from the Baltimore area, and we stayed in Florence SC. It is a pretty long drive, but the beauty of it was a relatively short drive the next day. We left early the first day, and then had a good nights sleep and arrived in Hilton Head rested and in good spirits.

I HIGHLY recommend the Holiday Inn Express 1-20 @ I95 Civic Center in Florence. I used this link to find and make reservations

http://www.res99.com/nexres/search/...&country=US&header=ExitGuide&footer=ExitGuide

It was spotless, comfortable beds with 2 queen beds in the room, clean pool, very good free breakfast, free newspapers, free business center with internet service to check your email or fool around. It is adjacent to a Target and mall and an Outback. We liked it so much we stayed there on our way home from WDW (where we went after a week at HH).

You can go to www.res99.com for other ideas. Good Luck. Sandie

This a very good HI Express. Very well maintained. I've also stayed there on many trips. There is also a new one at exit 170 that is also very nice, with small pool, but the local services are few. You have to go on down another exit to get dinner unless you want to settle for Wendy's.

We do the drive from Philly twice a year and will second the votes for the Holiday Inn in Florence. Our first choice though is the Country Inn and Suites in Santee. We found leaving at 5:00 am on a Saturday gets us to Santee about 3 pm. Note: There is a Comfort Inn next to the Country Inn that should be avoided at all costs - it is very poorly maintained.

Now what I'm trying to decide is if I stay on 95 through DC (our usual route) or we take the eastern route over the Bay Bridge and avoid DC? :confused3

Any suggestions there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter