• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where will you travel this summer?

Hopefully spend some weekends at my parents’ house (Bruce Peninsula) and my FIL’s cottage ( Muskoka). The cottage is easy, because it is just our immediate family. Hopefully things are okay for us to go to my parents (they and I should be immunized by then, but my DH likely won’t be (he’ll be last phase) and my kids aren’t old enough). MIL has asked us to spend a long weekend with her in Quebec, at her cottage. We’ll see if that can happen safely.

That’s our normal summer, we never do any other travel.

We will be going a few hours north of Toronto to my parents cottage. I’m really hoping my parents will be vaccinated so we can all be there at the same time. It’s a special place on an island on the most beautiful lake. We’re lucky to be able to go there still.

So will you still go if you have to quarantine for 2 weeks after? Especially if the hotel is still part of it?
I went in October and did the 2 week quarantine. I'm going to fly to Orlando from Toronto and fly back to Buffalo. From there we will take a cab to the border and walk across if the hotel quatantine is still a thing. There is a legal challenge in regards to it right now. I have credits with SW right now so either way I'll probably walk back across and be picked up on the otherside and driven home. I work from home so the 2 week quarantine after isn't a big deal for me.

ETA: This breaks no rules as I'll still be quarantining at home, taking a test on the way down and 3 when I come back and I actually come in contact with less people because I won't be in contact with hotel staff.

Last edited:
The hotel quarantine is only in place for international arrivals by air.

The website says land crossing must follow all federal quarantine measures, so I assumed that meant the hotel. So no hotel quarantine? That honestly makes no sense, lol. Why would a person be any less/more risk crossing by air/land?

The website says land crossing must follow all federal quarantine measures, so I assumed that meant the hotel. So no hotel quarantine? That honestly makes no sense, lol. Why would a person be any less/more risk crossing by air/land?
Their official stanse is because there are hundreds of border crossing locations across the country and some of them are in rural areas so they can't manage making everyone quarantine. Airports are easier because all incoming air traffic is only going to 4 airports in the entire country.

The people who aren't going to do the 14 day quarantine at home are already walking out of the airports with fines that cost them less than the hotel stay anyway.

Last edited:
There official stanse is because there are hundreds of border crossing locations across the country and some of them are in rural areas so they can't manage making everyone quarantine. Airports are easier because all incoming air traffic is only going to 4 airports in the entire country.

The people who aren't going to do the 14 day quarantine at home are already walking out of the airports with fines that cost them less than the hotel stay anyway.

This doesn’t make getting around the requirements ok.

I’m deleting my vaccine comment just cause I don’t want us to get another thread shut down.

Last edited:

It doesnt make sense, but it's true. Currently, there is not hotel requirement in regards to driving across the border. Just the home quarantine and a negative test to cross. https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/new-r...st-at-canadian-border-now-in-effect-1.5309007

nowhere big, squirreling all our money away for Disney if the border ever reopens... we would like to go to Canada's Wonderland as we were supposed to go last summer but couldn't and I would like to see how the kids do with rides before we tackle Disney (they're only 4&6) I'm kind of nervous of going that close to Toronto though (we live roughly 2.5 - 3 hours east)

other than that we are hoping to go camping - outside and away from other people. covid has given me panic disorder so I'm pretty scared of crowds right now

staying in Nova Scotia but we're seasonal at a campground so I'll be working from home from there...like last year. We're hoping for the Atlantic bubble so we can travel more in the fall, most likely Newfoundland.

we're hoping to do a family reunion trip in February or March of next year. this was supposed to be at WDW but the end of ME and dropping so many resort perks pushed us to change the venue.

It doesnt make sense, but it's true. Currently, there is not hotel requirement in regards to driving across the border. Just the home quarantine and a negative test to cross. https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/new-r...st-at-canadian-border-now-in-effect-1.5309007

I'm amazed more people aren't doing like @ellbell - flying over, then driving back across the border. I mean, fly to the nearest US airport, then rent a car and drive across, and do your quarantine at home.

I'm amazed more people aren't doing like @ellbell - flying over, then driving back across the border. I mean, fly to the nearest US airport, then rent a car and drive across, and do your quarantine at home.
You can't rent a car. They options to drop a car on the other side are suspended as far as I've looked but I have seen a few articles of people doing what I'm going to do. Snowbirds mostly and I got the idea from another man who was staying with his girlfriend for a few weeks and them coming back because he's in school here. Another couple winters in Arizona, they are having a friend drop their car off on the canadian side of the border and they will walk across and pick it up. You still have to take the test beforw you enter, another when you enter and you are given another to take at home 10 days later (which you don't get when you fly in). It doesn't break any rules and is probably safer than interacting with everyone involved with checking you, delivering meals, cleaning yoyr room and security when you go outside for fresh air.

They also give you two tests. One to do the first day at home, and then I think the next is on day 10 at home. Someone picks them up for testing.
It would be impossible to have hotel facilities at every land border crossing. Plus, most people are in their own car and going straight home. With flying in, there's the potential to affect many others when you hop on a connecting flight or two to your end destination after arriving in Canada.

No summer vacation planned. A big vegetable garden planned. Already have herbs, tomatos, sweet peppers and cold hardy greens started from seed and now little seedlings growing. My family has a cottage close to their homes so I might slip away for a weekend depending on vaccine status. My parents should have their shots by the end of May and I hope to have my first shot by the end of June or early July. Social distancing still required but hopefully will allow limited visits in safety to be carefully made. Think should be a much better summer for all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter