Who represents us?

caveat lector

Mouseketeer
I know there is a board, and we are allowed to attend annual meetings. However, who specifically, can we hold accoutable for things not perceived to be in our best interest.

Case in point: Removal of drink coasters at OKW. It had upset some people, but if someone would explain the logic, and possibly tradeoff, it might be more paletable (sp?)

Case in point part deux: The point changes. Once again, who made these calls and why.

Calling or emailing member services is not a equitable solution. They probably have little more exposure, to the ivory tower, than we do.

I purchased a product based on current structure. If things need to change, and I understand that things change, I want to know that someone has exercised due diligence in my benefit.

If we were at least surveyed or there was a suggestion box or something, it would make us all feel like our views are important to them!

I do not know the proper protocol, but in a recent thread someone gave out every address to executives at Disney! That is definitely one way to get your voice heard.

Another would be to call your DVC rep. I am very friendly with mine and feel that I can call her with any questions, problems and/or suggetions. I recommend you do as well. They may also direct you to another channel in which to vent/discuss.

At one point, Disney did send out surveys! I do not recall that this stopped, but then again, I have not received one in a long time.

The answer to your question seems to be, NO ONE. Surveys, emails, sales reps etc etc all of absolutely no use what so ever.

IMHO that isn't right and needs to be addressed. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone we can raise the question with....... Oh that is the question LOL

I haven't been able to find those executives e-mail addresses to whom I would like to send some letters expressing concern over price increases and rumored loss of the pool hopping priveledge given the abuse by locals. Can you point me to that e-mail please?

Thank you.

Diane I think the issue here is that DVC owners do not have a representative on the board, nor do they have a board member that is nominated to look after their interests. ( That isn't that same issue twice by the way )

Drinks coaster are , IMHO, an irrelevance BUT they are a symptom of dissapearing "appointments" to the rooms. The removing of furnishings should be an issue ( both by owners/guests and by DVC managemnet in the guise of cutbacks) should be at least explained. The shambolic efforts in the negotiations for DC points use is a much more important issue, but there are others.

The DVC board ( which runs the whole shebang) isn't accountable to the owners At the very least there should be some avenue to make our veiws on MAJOR issues known. There is NONE, IMHO THAT IS WRONG.

Taxation (dues) without representation. That should ring a bell with my (ex)colonial friends LOL

Vernon,
You nailed it. My intent was NOT concern over coasters. My concern was direct input with the board.
Thanks,

Just wondering why it is okay for the moderator of the rumor and news board to post addresses to Disney executives at the top of their forum?

What? - they're taking away all the roller coasters? Hey Vernon, is July 4th considered British Thanksgiving over there? (LOL)

Vernon,
I too think there needs to be an identified method for us to voice our concerns. That includes "who" we should voice them to IMHO, things like the DC are exchanges that come under the heading of business that sometimes even DVC has nothing to say about. For example, if a II resort decides it doesn't want to be an exchange possiblilty to DVC, they could be dropped from the list, and DVC would have little or nothing to say about it. That is why those "perks" are not guaranteed in our ownership documents. In the case of appointments inside the units, I think we should have a voice in that since what is spent on those things effects our dues. There were some excellent suggestions on the thread about the coasters that were possible solutions to the things that "walk off", but no one knows who to make the suggestion to.

I have spoken to the webmasters about your concerns. Since these addresses are accessable to the public I am re-posting them for you. My apologies to DVCDave for removing them.

Original post from DVCDAVE:

Hope this helps....at this point I will try anything.

copied from a thread on the Rumors and News Board. Thanks to the author of that thread.

Below are current names and addresses for prominent Disney personnel.

Mr. Roy E. Disney
Vice Chairman
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Marty Sklar
Vice Chairman & Principal Creative Executive
Walt Disney Imagineering
1401 Flower Street
Glendale, CA 91221

Mr. Michael Eisner
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Paul Pressler
Chairman & President
Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Al Weiss
President
The Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Mr. Lee Cockerell
Executive Vice President of Walt Disney World Operations
1375 Buena Vista Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000

Ms. Erin Wallace
Vice President
PO Box 10040

Mr. Karl Holz
Vice President
PO Box 10040

Mr. Phil Holmes
Vice President of Magic Kingdom Operations
PO Box 10000

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Walt Disney World Guest Relations
PO Box 10000

Brad Rex, VP of Epcot
Tom Wolber, VP of The Disney-MGM Studios
Phil Holmes, VP of The Magic Kingdom
Beth Stevens, VP of The Animal Kingdom.
Reggie Williams, VP of Sports and Recreation
Mark Mrozinski, VP of Downtown Disney
Keith Bradford, GM of Port Orleans Resort
Mahmud Dhanani, GM of Caribbean Beach Resort
Vince Valdes, GM of Boardwalk Resort
Sonya Deese-Byrnes, GM of Old Key West Resort
Malcolm Ross, GM of Yacht and Beach Club
Rilous Carter, GM of Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness
Rick Allen, GM of Pop Century Resort
Georgina Sussan, GM of Grand Floridian
Kent Mitchell, GM of Contemporary
Spencer Oberle, GM of Polynesian
Thea Sargent, GM of Coronado Springs
Djuan Rivers, GM of All-Stars
LodgeNorm Noble, GM of Animal Kingdom
Deanne Gable, GM of Disney Institute

Somewhat OT, but does anyone else see irony in a DVC'er from England----Vernon-----complaining about DVC not being a democracy and he has no vote!! Hey, that's kinda revolutionary, so to speak. Next thing you know, Vernon will be throwing tea in the Seven Seas Lagoon. To answer the original question--no one represents us...DVC is not a democracy. About all you can do is represent yourself and hope for the best. Once the Mouse decides the way he wants to go, not too much will impede him and if you think that's not true, you have achieved Nirvana-- or as its known at "home", Fantasyland.:pinkbounc

I have attended the OKW annual meetings for several years. I find the board members, resort General Managers (like Sonya from OKW) & other CMs involved with DVC to be more than willing to talk to & to genuinely listen to individual member like myself. Those members with concerns should try calling or writing DVC CMs. Most of the names listed above are for the WDW theme parks & resorts, but not many of them have direct "power" with DVC.

What do you find ironic? Last time I looked both the UK and the US were democracies. Had I come from Zimbabwe and been called Mugabe you might have a point. I used that phrase to point out this is a basic "unfairness", I'm glad your history is good enough to pick up the reference. Recognising that original fairness "taxation without representation" was one of the reasons your country was founded. Are you (plural) so at ease in giving up that concept (fairness) that your founding fathers fought ( quite rightly for IMHO) without even questioning it?

This has nothing to do with National politics and everything to do with corporations. WE ARE THE OWNERS OF DVC and it seems the board isn't opperating in our best interests as their first priority. I'm not asking that the whole board be made up and elected by DVC members, I'm asking why there isn't ONE member of the board that looks after and speaks up for our interests. If there is a valid reason, I'll be happy to listen. I tend to think it's because Disney isn't interested in our views, rights or feelings.

I'd be interested to know if Marriotte and the other large timeshare organisations have people on their boards who are designated as representing the owners interests. I believe that is the way they work in Europe, I'm certain their is someone (Dean?) who could let us know if it is "market practice" in the US for timeshares to ignore their ownership completely and work on behalf of the holding company/contractors.

I know for a fact that DVC CMs DO read this board!

The DVC CMs we have had contact with do care about all the members. I encourage each of you to share your thoughts/comments/concerns/problems with DVC CMs either while at WDW or when you are at home. In my experience, DVC - like anywhere else at WDW - wants feedback from members/guests.

My DVC contact advises that the place to send comments is Member Services. If you call or write MS, the CM will forward your message/concern/etc. to the appropriate person.

From time to time DVC has done surveys. I think the last one I received included questions about the OKW pool & towels. However, I don't wait for a survey to contact a DVC CM if I have a thought/comment/concern/problem/etc.

So if you have something to say or a question, please call or write MS.

It is important to keep in mind that we all agreed to the level of representation we have. This isn't something imposed on us unilaterally.

Brian, would you not agree that the original format of DVC has grown and evolved? Surely the expectation that the administration of the system should also evolve is not unreasonable?

It was also agreed/implied ORIGINALLY that the board would be employed to work in the best interests of the DVC membership to ensure the whole entity runs as efficiently as possible. IMHO that isn't the case at the moment. The board is employed to work on behalf of the DVC not to be Quasi puppets for the Disney corporation. I have no objection to them working in Disney's interests, after all DVC is IMHO part of Disney, BUT that shouldn't be to the detriment of the membership. IMHO that balance is not being attained at the moment, if there are good reasons , then explain them.

It's all very well talking to the CMs and I think they understand our points of view to a degree but the message is either not getting home to the board/management or they are burying their heads in the sand and hoping we will go away. If I knew who or how to contact at a higher level I'd do so. But it seems the "avenues of power" are shrouded in mists so it is difficult to do so. Not that I expect any response.

Originally posted by vernon
Brian, would you not agree that the original format of DVC has grown and evolved? Surely the expectation that the administration of the system should also evolve is not unreasonable?
Things sure have changed, but the legal documents are as valid now as they ever were.
It was also agreed/implied ORIGINALLY that the board would be employed to work in the best interests of the DVC membership to ensure the whole entity runs as efficiently as possible. IMHO that isn't the case at the moment.
I disagree on two counts. First, it was always clear that the developer retained control for purposes of their own design. Second, they seem to be doing a wonderful job in that regard.
The board is employed to work on behalf of the DVC not to be Quasi puppets for the Disney corporation.
I see no indications of that. What are you talking about?
It's all very well talking to the CMs and I think they understand our points of view to a degree but the message is either not getting home to the board/management or they are burying their heads in the sand and hoping we will go away. If I knew who or how to contact at a higher level I'd do so. But it seems the "avenues of power" are shrouded in mists so it is difficult to do so. Not that I expect any response.
Again what are you talking about? This thread is so amorphously defined that you could mean anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter