Who's Driving!!

Hi! My daughter and her friend have both been accepted and we're arriving on May 19th. We'll also be staying at the All-Star music! Your check in date is the 18th???!! I havent heard of that...theirs is the 20th. It would have been great if you guys could have met up....we're from Chicago, but we spend time every year in Bedford, Gloucester, and down the Cape! I also am familiar with Hingham, Hull, and Pembroke as I know people from those towns! I have a very dear friend who lives in Bedford. I lived in Boston, then Waltham years ago...in the 70's. What role did you get?!!! My daughter will be doing hospitality and her friend is doing housekeeping. My daughter is on the boards --Tashiana T.-- but she's not on too often---she's been swamped because she graduates in a couple of weeks. Will you still be at the All-Star Music on the 19th? Maybe you could meet Tashiana and her friend Judy!

Oh, cool! I'm gonna try to get down to the Cape in the next two weeks before I leave, as it's just not summer for me without a Cape visit. :goodvibes I'm actually in Weymouth, so very close to Hingham, Hull, etc. I'm doing the summer alumni program (I did Spring Advantage back in 2005) and going back to my QSFB role. Sadly, my check-in day is the 18th, so I won't be at the All-Star Music when your daughter and her friend get in! But it's very possible I'll be seeing her this summer! :) Does she know where she wants to live? I'm going to try to get Patterson this time, but I wouldn't mind being back in Vista (I loved it)!

Oh, cool! I'm gonna try to get down to the Cape in the next two weeks before I leave, as it's just not summer for me without a Cape visit. :goodvibes I'm actually in Weymouth, so very close to Hingham, Hull, etc. I'm doing the summer alumni program (I did Spring Advantage back in 2005) and going back to my QSFB role. Sadly, my check-in day is the 18th, so I won't be at the All-Star Music when your daughter and her friend get in! But it's very possible I'll be seeing her this summer! :) Does she know where she wants to live? I'm going to try to get Patterson this time, but I wouldn't mind being back in Vista (I loved it)!

Hi! I think my daughter and her friend were looking to move into Chatham or Vista because at first she wasnt going to drive down...but now, she's bringing her car and the two of them are following us...she has a small car so not all of their stuff will fit well. She was worried at first that if she didnt have a car and the bus doesnt stop at Patterson, that she would have a difficult time getting to work on time..Im glad she's taking her car so she has the freedom to go wherever... whenever! Is there any advice you could give me about the whole experience? I sure would appreciate it! Lucky you to be able to go to the Cape so frequently! My girlfriend and her hubby have a summer home in Gloucester and we've spent time there.. but we all get together and head to the Cape, too. We've spent time in Hyannis, Falmouth, Brewster, Chatham, well, actually, all over the Cape, so no sense in me listing every single place! I absolutely love it and try to get out to Mass. annually. Unfortunately we wont be going this year...at least no plans at this time... we come out in the fall...its very nice at that time. This year we'll most likely be visiting Disney in the fall instead! One question, since my daughter is now going to take her car, but she stated to Disney at first that she wasnt going to be bringing a car, what do we do or how do we contact them so that they're aware that she'll need a parking sticker? Or, do we have to contact them at all before we arrive? And, does her name have to be on the insurance card? My name is on the card because the car is in my name. :)

Is there any advice you could give me about the whole experience? I sure would appreciate it!

Well, I'm sure this isn't anything new or profound, but the experience really is what you make of it! Like with any other job, there are going to be some bad days and some days when you're homesick. I called home a lot and that helped. I was also able to take a couple days off a few months into my program and visit home. That helped my sanity a little. :goodvibes But really, I spent my program getting out of my comfort zone. I'd never lived away from home before. I met amazing people from not only all over the country, but all over the world. I made friends with so many different kinds of people with different points of view that I wasn't used to. I got a little daring and did things I probably wouldn't have at home (like skydiving -- what a fun time!). If you can just keep a sense of humor and remember the magic, the bad days aren't so bad! The only thing I would have changed about my program is that I wish I had a car, which I am remedying this time around! It'll be nice to have the buses as an option for work and play, but I felt trapped in the Disney bubble for seven months and I know I'll have more fun exploring Florida this time around. And your daughter will have lots of friends since she's bringing her car. :)

One question, since my daughter is now going to take her car, but she stated to Disney at first that she wasnt going to be bringing a car, what do we do or how do we contact them so that they're aware that she'll need a parking sticker? Or, do we have to contact them at all before we arrive? And, does her name have to be on the insurance card? My name is on the card because the car is in my name.

I didn't bring my car down on the first program so I am not 100% sure on this, but I don't think you need to contact them. Her name needs to be your proof of insurance somewhere though. It says this under the Housing FAQs on the official site:

If you decide to bring a vehicle, parking at your apartment complex and the Walt Disney World Resort Complex is free of charge to Walt Disney World Cast Members and is patrolled by security. If you bring a car, you must be able to provide proof of ownership:
Current vehicle registration
Proof of insurance in your name
U.S. driver's license​

Good luck to your daughter! :yay:

While your making sure you have your vehicle registration, insurance etc. Don't forget to pack what you need for your I9 forms. Like Driver Licen. Social Security card and/or Passport. I know alot of kids that forget to bring those down and then have to spend a couple of days at the social security office waiting to get a replacemnet card.

I'm driving down from Springfield, MO. I made the drive last month for Spring Break...It's about 20 hours. Unlike the last time, however, this time we'll be stopping overnight so that the drive will be broken up over two days. *Whew*.

I'm checking in on August 12th.

Well, I'm sure this isn't anything new or profound, but the experience really is what you make of it! Like with any other job, there are going to be some bad days and some days when you're homesick. I called home a lot and that helped. I was also able to take a couple days off a few months into my program and visit home. That helped my sanity a little. :goodvibes But really, I spent my program getting out of my comfort zone. I'd never lived away from home before. I met amazing people from not only all over the country, but all over the world. I made friends with so many different kinds of people with different points of view that I wasn't used to. I got a little daring and did things I probably wouldn't have at home (like skydiving -- what a fun time!). If you can just keep a sense of humor and remember the magic, the bad days aren't so bad! The only thing I would have changed about my program is that I wish I had a car, which I am remedying this time around! It'll be nice to have the buses as an option for work and play, but I felt trapped in the Disney bubble for seven months and I know I'll have more fun exploring Florida this time around. And your daughter will have lots of friends since she's bringing her car. :)

I didn't bring my car down on the first program so I am not 100% sure on this, but I don't think you need to contact them. Her name needs to be your proof of insurance somewhere though. It says this under the Housing FAQs on the official site:

If you decide to bring a vehicle, parking at your apartment complex and the Walt Disney World Resort Complex is free of charge to Walt Disney World Cast Members and is patrolled by security. If you bring a car, you must be able to provide proof of ownership:
Current vehicle registration
Proof of insurance in your name
U.S. driver's license​

Good luck to your daughter! :yay:

Thank You! And Good Luck to you, also! I hope you have another wonderful experience this time around. I contacted someone at Disney and they gave me the necessary information to have when we arrive since the car is in my name. I appreciate your help and I hope somewhere along the line that my daughter can meet you! :):banana::yay:

I totally understand about spliting up the driving..I have a 33 hour drive without stops. Most of it is through a whole lot of nothing. Though it gets better once you hit the Lousiana border. Alot better rest stops the farther east you go too.

Yeah, splitting the drive is much better. I hate making the drive in one day. So we'll be splitting our drive over 2 days as well.

While your making sure you have your vehicle registration, insurance etc. Don't forget to pack what you need for your I9 forms. Like Driver Licen. Social Security card and/or Passport. I know alot of kids that forget to bring those down and then have to spend a couple of days at the social security office waiting to get a replacemnet card.

Hi! Thank you for this information! Is a Social Security card necessary? My daughter cannot find hers and was going to present her birth certificate along with her drivers license. Should we now race to the SS office and hope we get one in time before we leave on May 18th? I appreciate your help! :)

The birth certificate needs to be either the original or certified copy of the birth certificate with the offical seal.
You can google Forms needed for an I-9 if you have any other questions.

The birth certificate needs to be either the original or certified copy of the birth certificate with the offical seal.
You can google Forms needed for an I-9 if you have any other questions.

Thanks once again for the information! I appreciate your help! :flower3:

Hi! Thank you for this information! Is a Social Security card necessary? My daughter cannot find hers and was going to present her birth certificate along with her drivers license. Should we now race to the SS office and hope we get one in time before we leave on May 18th? I appreciate your help! :)

If you can get a replacement social security card in time I think you definitely should! My sister did the program last year and she couldn't find her card but had her birth certificate and license, but when she got to filling out the forms Disney gave her a hard time about not have the social security card and she had to go on this half day excursion to get a new one anyway. I'm not really sure why this happened as it says you can use those replacements on the website, but I know as I've been preparing to leave my sister just keeps asking me if I have my social security card because it was a huge hassle for her. I just went to order a replacement last week and I already have it, so they do process the requests quite quickly!

If you can get a replacement social security card in time I think you definitely should! My sister did the program last year and she couldn't find her card but had her birth certificate and license, but when she got to filling out the forms Disney gave her a hard time about not have the social security card and she had to go on this half day excursion to get a new one anyway. I'm not really sure why this happened as it says you can use those replacements on the website, but I know as I've been preparing to leave my sister just keeps asking me if I have my social security card because it was a huge hassle for her. I just went to order a replacement last week and I already have it, so they do process the requests quite quickly!

Hi! Thanks so much for this info! I will relay this to my daughter whose at school and she'll just have to go get a new one asap. By the way, I see you're driving down from a suburb of Chicago. So are we! We're leaving from Bolingbrook on 5/18. I dont remember if you are leaving at the same time or later. My daughter graduates 5/16 from WIU and she and a friend from Macomb, Il are both driving down! Thanks again for the info on the social security card! :)

My family and I are driving down...though they are driving back with the van too lol

I will be driving down from Raleigh, NC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter