Why no body lotion? I'm finally posting!

jlap

Earning My Ears
Forgive me if this has been discussed previously but I didn't see anything when I searched. I am at a loss to understand why, in at least some of the DVC resorts (AKL, Wilderness, BCV, Boardwalk, judging by recent stays in studio rooms), the DVC toiletries as determined by the housekeeping list do not include body lotion! They ARE included on the housekeeping list for the non DVC rooms, and I've seen them there when I stay non-DVC. Yes, if you ask housekeeping, they'll bring you as many as you'd like. But it's so illogical and sorry, gives me a 2nd class kindof feeling. I know this is not earth shattering. But as dues rise and I see tempting offers to non DVC members for resort stays and meals, it is somewhat annoying. Especially since I've raised this with DVC many times over the years and it hasn't been fixed. Not good customer relations in my opinion.
Each time the reaction is something like, that can't be right, let me check, hmm...how odd, I don't know why that is, I'll be sure to forward your concerns. Then nothing changes. Since it is NOT earth shattering, I havent bothered to post before. But with BCV and AKL coming up this week, I figure it's time. At least, when I'm calling down to housekeeping for my lotion, I'll know I finally shared this frustration.
Anyone else observe this, or have any insight? Any advice as to how to pursue would be appreciated.

As DVC owners we pay Disney to make decisions for us and they decided that we don't need body lotion. DVC owners pay for everything at the resorts and in the units with our dues so in theory we are saving money by not having things like lotion and ceramic plates in the studios.

:earsboy: Bill

Forgive me if this has been discussed previously but I didn't see anything when I searched. I am at a loss to understand why, in at least some of the DVC resorts (AKL, Wilderness, BCV, Boardwalk, judging by recent stays in studio rooms), the DVC toiletries as determined by the housekeeping list do not include body lotion! They ARE included on the housekeeping list for the non DVC rooms, and I've seen them there when I stay non-DVC. Yes, if you ask housekeeping, they'll bring you as many as you'd like. But it's so illogical and sorry, gives me a 2nd class kindof feeling. I know this is not earth shattering. But as dues rise and I see tempting offers to non DVC members for resort stays and meals, it is somewhat annoying. Especially since I've raised this with DVC many times over the years and it hasn't been fixed. Not good customer relations in my opinion.
Each time the reaction is something like, that can't be right, let me check, hmm...how odd, I don't know why that is, I'll be sure to forward your concerns. Then nothing changes. Since it is NOT earth shattering, I havent bothered to post before. But with BCV and AKL coming up this week, I figure it's time. At least, when I'm calling down to housekeeping for my lotion, I'll know I finally shared this frustration.
Anyone else observe this, or have any insight? Any advice as to how to pursue would be appreciated.
We haven't seen body lotion in a while, maybe 2 toiletry companies back. My guess is that most don't use it so it was determined not to be essential and thus not worth paying for, I would agree with this decision.

This drove me NUTS the last time I stayed DVC at the THVs (Feb.) My "solution" was to go to Basin in DDT and buy their lotion. Unfortunately for my wallet, I fell in love with the store and their products...

I thought there was lotion when I stayed at BLT last month. I didn't like it so I didn't even bring it home. I never use the shampoo or conditioner, I bring all my own stuff. I thought there was lotion out at VGC last year but it was some kind of seaweed. I liked the shea butter lotion they used to have, I went and bought a large tube to bring home.

I agree. It drives me nuts. I stayed at a $38 a night hotel in Northern MI recently, and they provided body lotion. I would LOVE to get it at DVC.

I also agree! They could easily skip the bodywash IMO and just leave soap and lotion. :thumbsup2 I don't use the shampoo or conditioner but DH does. Most hotels the only bottled item I always use is the lotion.

Since I find most lotions, shampoos and conditioners to be inferior to what I prefer to use, I really would rather they not leave anything other than the soaps. Thankfully, Disney has great soap! As for lotion, shampoo and conditioner....I'll continue to bring my own, and I don't want my dues going to pay for those things that so many just throw away anyway.

DVC has always had a "pay as you play" policy. If you want additional toiletries you can pay for a toiletries pack. I would assume the same is true of lotion. I just prefer not to have it coming out of my dues.

I don't mind packing my own lotion. However, I should not have to pack my own toilet paper! I don't remember it being bad at WDW in the past. However, the stuff they were passing off as t.p. at the Grand Californian last month was horrible!

I also agree! They could easily skip the bodywash IMO and just leave soap and lotion. :thumbsup2 I don't use the shampoo or conditioner but DH does. Most hotels the only bottled item I always use is the lotion.

I totally agree with this. Who uses body wash???

I don't mind packing my own lotion. However, I should not have to pack my own toilet paper! I don't remember it being bad at WDW in the past. However, the stuff they were passing off as t.p. at the Grand Californian last month was horrible!

LOL, we used to always pack our own toilet paper when we went to Hilton Head resort, then leave whatever we didn't use from the roll on the back of the toilet at the end of the week. After several years of doing this the TP there got better and we no longer have to bring our own. Maybe they took our hint. Maybe try that at the GCF.

I totally agree with this. Who uses body wash???
I'd bet that the % of people using body wash is far higher (like 10-20 times or more) than those using the lotion during the visit.

Dean said:
I'd bet that the % of people using body wash is far higher (like 10-20 times or more) than those using the lotion during the visit.

Agreed, as a kid you can read 'body wash' as 'bubble bath'. I don't think in all my 31 years I have ever used the lotion.

When I stayed ay Hilton head in December they had a wonderful body lotion there. It's from their newest line....so I know they have it. I don't think one resort should have it and not others. It was a nice citrus smell to it. When I went to Bay Lake Tower the next day, for double the points....NONE. I would think for the cost of this hotel, either through dues, or original purchase....it should include basic necessities that a 100.00 hotel would have. It is supposed to be a delux resort.

The DVC resorts seem to be really inconsistent about which toiletry items are placed in a villa. We've gotten lotion, body wash and even after sun lotion at some DVC resorts when using our points and others only bar soap, shampoo and creme rinse.

I wouldn't mind if they were consistent, either always supplied them or didn't. The DVC resorts are supposed to be deluxe resorts. Do toiletries really cost that much, when they are only provided every four days?

I loved the lotion we received at Aulani. Although it was an H2O product it was a much better quality that the H2O lotions at the WDW resorts.

the last time we stayed at BCV's the only soap we received was liquid dish soap. No shampoo, no conditioner, no body wash, no dishwasher soap. Nothing. Even a call to housekeeping produced nothing. Very bad.

the last time we stayed at BCV's the only soap we received was liquid dish soap. No shampoo, no conditioner, no body wash, no dishwasher soap. Nothing. Even a call to housekeeping produced nothing. Very bad.
IMO that's unacceptable. My experience is that Disney is pretty good at handling such matters but not great. However, essentially every other timeshare I've ever stayed at where they had to opportunity to take care of an issue did better than DVC does. Again, not that I've had a lot of issues with DVC, just that others tend to do better. Plus most of the others actually give a phone call back to make sure everything was actually taken care of. My interpretation is that members and exchangers have opportunities to rate the resorts and that the other resorts are more worried about what you think and say than is Disney/DVC. For example, Marriott resorts compete among themselves for owner, exchanger and member satisfaction ratings. It shows in other areas as well. We were in Aruba in Jan/Feb at a Marriott and they had a weekly event where the managers for each Dept mingled and talked with the owners there. This type of meeting is common for most Marriott's.

I'm positive you are correct since they provide one but not the other. ;)

If what I've seen provided in the last couple of years at other places gives any indication then I don't know if that would be a correct assumption though.

Motels - shampoo, conditioner and soap.
Hotels - shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion (my experience just in the last couple years - there have been cutbacks).
Higher end hotels - shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, body wash, maybe toothpaste, cottonballs, qtips and every now and then a shower cap, a shoe shiner and a little darning kit but the last 3 are getting more rare.

I'm positive you are correct since they provide one but not the other. ;)

If what I've seen provided in the last couple of years at other places gives any indication then I don't know if that would be a correct assumption though.

Motels - shampoo, conditioner and soap.
Hotels - shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion (my experience just in the last couple years - there have been cutbacks).
Higher end hotels - shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, body wash, maybe toothpaste, cottonballs, qtips and every now and then a shower cap, a shoe shiner and a little darning kit but the last 3 are getting more rare.
My statement was if both were present, not the forced situation. I'm sure a lot of people here see hotels and different levels of hotels more than I do but I'm comfortable that I've seen quite a few over the years and timeshares more than most here. My impression is that over the past 20-25 years we've seen a dramatic increase in conditioner, a moderate decrease in lotion and a significant increase in shower gel. I think the shower gel is more hit or miss but in the early years of our experience we never saw it and now it's quite common for nicer places though I know it's a more recent trend in general. My interpretation of those changes overall was a combination of cost and demand but that lotion was always the cheapest of those options and he least in demand. I often stay at varying places where the owners are on site and often workers, I'll have to start asking about this issue when the opportunity arises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter