Why no SSR love?

tomandrobin

DIS Veteran
I am new to this board, but have been doing alot of reading of past post. I am surprised of the amount of disaproval, disrespect and dislike people have of the Saratoga Springs Resort and those who buy into that resort.

I know there are enough out there that like it the resort, but I see alot of older DVC members showing thier dislike of SSR. I have not bought a DVC membership yet, but I am getting close to making a purchase. I have been to all the resorts but OKW. I think they are all very nice. Each one is different and unique in thier own way, including SSR.

I am not sure why there seems to be so many that look at SSR and thier owners as second class. Not wanting them to trade into "my" resort thinking. Its a timeshare! I agree with the "Buy where you want to go mentallity", but if you don't book your reservation at your home resort before 7 months and you lose out to another owner, thats your fault.

Where's all the love out there? Its Disney....isn't it?

I like SSR, but will probably never stay there. I just like VWL too much!
I certainly don't think of the owners or resort as second class. I never got that impression from anyone, but I may be wrong.

Ironically, SSR may be the "classiest" of all the DVCs! :smokin:

MG

I love SSR - I own in and will not part with those points. I think people love their resort and because most SSR owners are new they may not know of the Disboards.

I personally think SSR is gorgeous. I love the design of the buildings, the decor of the rooms, and the layout of the resort. The location is fab too, but then we love DTD. I would be more than happy to buy and stay at SSR, but it's also nice to have the flexibily to use your points elsewhere for a change, which is the beauty of DVC.

we don't own at SSR but do like it there. Stayed there last OCT 3 nts in congress park and will do it again. Walk to DTD and loved it. We do own at BWV and love it there. :thumbsup2

Amen to that, brother/sister!

One of the tribal elders has gone on record to say that people always bash the new resorts. In fact, rumor has it that the venerable BCV got knocked around a lot in the beginning. Doctor P would tell us not to care what other people say (write), but I still don't think it's very nice of them.

I always like the posts where people remind us all that we're lucky to be able to afford to go to WDW and should be grateful. Some people have been affected by illness or money troubles, and I appreciate their reminders about what is important in life.

So, when DVC builds the next resort, I think we should all agree to be very excited for people who buy there and promise to keep any negative opinions to ourselves.

Shannon

I've been a SSR owner for 2 years and plan on adding on soon. This Easter it'll be our second trip and are looking forward to it.

I've also visited the other resorts except OKW. I had a chance to stay at Wilderness Lodge this past February. The lobby was very nice and the 2 bdrm condo was set up exactly like SSR. The decor was a little too busy for me and it felt more like a hotel then at home condo but I still liked it. SSR with it's openness feels more like a home away from home and more open.

You know when you here kids saying.......My dad is bigger then your dad or my bike is better then your bike ect. ect. I like enjoying our differences rather then judging them.

37 more days and we'll be home!

There are Mercedes drivers out there who wouldn't be caught dead in a Lexus, too. People are funny about this kind of stuff. We toured SSR and it just didn't click with us. Certainly no reflection on our neighbors who have bought there... If anything, you all could logically argue we are the loons for paying $9 more per point for a product that "runs out" 12 years earlier. Where does it end? Little nametags with how many points you own on them?

IMO the anti SSR attitude can be in part due to concern that with SSR being SO LARGE, and having SO MANY owners that those owners will make it harder for people to get last min rooms (with in 7 mths)at the smaller resorts.

I think the days of booking a room at HH or Vero at 2 mths out may well be over.

:love: I love DVC, period - of course, I'm a relative newbie.

I passed on SSR as a matter of personal decision, for a multitude of reasons:

1) Any DVC points will probably outlive me, so the extra years didn't factor.

2) Even though I bought unseen, I researched the "market" for a while & found that certain properties appeared to be more in demand than others (easier to rent in case of emergency).

3) Wanted a 2nd property w/lower point requirements (BWV stan. studio).

4) Wanted to be near MK & Epcot parks.

5) Didn't want to stay @ a large spread out resort, with a subdued theme.

6) Lastly, although I bought in smaller increments since I was paying cash, I did buy where I wanted to stay.

From several postings on this board, there is a vocal contingent of SSR folks who want the incentives to buy into but, have no intention of actually staying there on a regular basis...and proudly proclaim that fact???

You classify your upcoming purchase as a timeshare. DH & I think of DVC as our 2nd home, a sanctuary if you will. Call it corny but, lots of DVC'ers identify & take pride in their little slice of the magic.

BTW, I've been unable to get a res. @ my home resorts even less than 10-1/2 months out during non-holiday periods, let alone 7; that's why they have waitlists.

DVC is more than a timeshare, it's a state of mind. Hope you make the right decision for you.

I certainly do NOT think of SSR owners as second rate. But as boatboatboat says, some of us have concerns about SSR's size, and the large number of owners impacting availability at other resorts. It'll be hard for, say, a BCV or WL owner to get a ressie at their own resort after the 7 mo. mark if even a fraction of SSR's owners decide they want to stay there instead of their home resort.

This has nothing to do with how classy SSR or its owners are. It's a very nice resort.

DisFlan

DisFlan said:
But as boatboatboat says, some of us have concerns about SSR's size, and the large number of owners impacting availability at other resorts. It'll be hard for, say, a BCV or WL owner to get a ressie at their own resort after the 7 mo. mark if even a fraction of SSR's owners decide they want to stay there instead of their home resort.
I'm a little lost. What's the difference between the number of owners at one large resort, or several small ones? :confused3

MG

Blue&Gold said:
There are Mercedes drivers out there who wouldn't be caught dead in a Lexus, too. People are funny about this kind of stuff. We toured SSR and it just didn't click with us. Certainly no reflection on our neighbors who have bought there... If anything, you all could logically argue we are the loons for paying $9 more per point for a product that "runs out" 12 years earlier. Where does it end? Little nametags with how many points you own on them?

Hi! :wave: I'm Cher 200 :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

DisFlan - you have a good point about all of us owners of SSR wanting to go to other resorts and how it will impact availability. Hopefully, that desire to switch/try other resorts will calm down in a few years after everyone has a chance to move around a little. Did the same thing happen when the other resorts opened? Maybe some big additions to the existing resorts are needed.

Your post brings up many valid points. All of the new DVC Resorts have taken some criticism in the beginning. Also, I've posted some negative things about SSR and taken a flaming on here for it. :firefight I welcome all members to post both positive and negative reactions to any and all DVC Resorts. Please lets not make these boards into a "love fest" for all things DVC. SSR has many shortcomings in my opinion as well as many positives. You were right when you state DVC Resorts are all different. My biggest problem with this place is that it sems like DVC hasn't learned a thing along the way. Poor planning to not have food by the pool, poor planning that AP has such a limited menu, poor planning that no sit down restaurant was included in the plans, poor planning that the seating around the pool is so limited, poor planning theming it based on Saratoga Springs, NY (where I live by the way), poor planning offering another resort with no ties to a theme park, poor planning to locate the boat transfer to DTD where it is and the list could go on. Drtomorrow and others have convinced me however that this resort will have great appeal as our kids grow older. That DTD tie will be very important. The gym and spa are great at SSR as well. The resort is visually very nice and is great for golfers. Lets face it, all of the DVC Resorts are good. It is only natural to be critical of new resorts. These type of critical comments is part of what led to a sit down restaurant being added at SSR. It is also what will help improve the resort and help work the kinks out. No need to fish for good comments about any resort. Why do that? Let people post there honest feelings about the place.

DAVE

shantay1008 said:
Amen to that, brother/sister!

One of the tribal elders has gone on record to say that people always bash the new resorts. In fact, rumor has it that the venerable BCV got knocked around a lot in the beginning. Doctor P would tell us not to care what other people say (write), but I still don't think it's very nice of them.

I always like the posts where people remind us all that we're lucky to be able to afford to go to WDW and should be grateful. Some people have been affected by illness or money troubles, and I appreciate their reminders about what is important in life.

So, when DVC builds the next resort, I think we should all agree to be very excited for people who buy there and promise to keep any negative opinions to ourselves.

Shannon

I'm usually on board with your posts but not this one. Are you serious about keeping negative comments to ourself? :confused3 We all should be very thankful we get to enjoy WDW but we also should continue to be critical and demand more of our ownership. Good and bad should be heard.

DAVE

I'm a little lost. What's the difference between the number of owners at one large resort, or several small ones?

Speaking for MY SELF, my concern is that there will be a $hit pile of SSR contracts sold(it's a large off site resort). IMO the people who buy at a resort such as SSR are MUCH more likely to try and book rooms into the BCV's and the BWV's simpy due to location. When BCV was built, it in some ways took some of the preasure off of the BWV's. SSR is IMO going to put more strain on availabilty.

I may be wrong, but i doubt if you see many BWV or BCV owners trying to book stays at SSR, I simply don't think that will happen. But IMO and IMO only you will see MANY SSR owners booking into BWV and BCV's.

Daitcher said:
I'm usually on board with your posts but not this one. Are you serious about keeping negative comments to ourself? :confused3 We all should be very thankful we get to enjoy WDW but we also should continue to be critical and demand more of our ownership. Good and bad should be heard.

DAVE
I knew you'd come after me, Dave! No, seriously, I do think there are some people who lay on the "Resort Pride" thing a bit thick. It's one thing to constructively criticize a place, but some people just seem to go out of their way to remind others how lucky they themselves are to own at BCV or WLV or wherever. I think that's the sort of thing the OP is referring to. When you've just spent X-thousands of dollars on a place, you don't necessarily want to hear others say things like "getting stuck staying at SSR."

Should we care what others think? Of course not. Does it take a little of the fun out of things? Unfortunately, yes.

Oh, just to let you know.....I was considering either a BWV or VWL purchase. I just hit me after reading so many posts all of the negativity towards SSR that I had to post my observation.

There are going to be other DVC resorts after SSR. So no need to fret over take over of SSR. I have seen the same reacting in other vacation clubs in regard to overcrowding, new owners in other resorts taking over the older resorts, etc. From what I know and have heard the next resort will take pressure off from the SSR takeover of the Boutique Resorts.

I do think that Marriott, Hilton or Starwood resorts have been totally blocked out when a new resort opens up. They usually respond with opening additional "in demand" type resorts. Which you will see with DVC too!

boatboatboat said:
Speaking for MY SELF, my concern is that there will be a $hit pile of SSR contracts sold(it's a large off site resort). IMO the people who buy at a resort such as SSR are MUCH more likely to try and book rooms into the BCV's and the BWV's simpy due to location.
I understand your point.
I questioned DisFlan's wording because Flan said "some of us have concerns about SSR's size, and the large number of owners impacting availability at other resorts. It'll be hard for, say, a BCV or WL owner to get a ressie at their own resort after the 7 mo. mark if even a fraction of SSR's owners decide they want to stay there instead of their home resort."

I think your suggesting many SSR owners would want to stay at the other DVCs. :smokin:

MG

Oh, I forgot one more thing. It would not bother me to stay at any of the DVC resorts. I love them all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter