Why wouldn't I rent DVC instead of Disney?

wvhokies

Earning My Ears
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, so if I can find this somewhere else, please direct me with a link :)

My family of 4 (hubby, me, and 2 girls 9 and 6) are taking a Disney cruise from 5/12 to 5/16, and we'd like to stay for 2 nights afterwards on Disney property. We've always wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and thought about staying there.

It seems it may be less expensive to rent from DVC (Studio Savannah room) than getting a room at the resort, but is there something I don't know? We'll be arriving early in the day from the ship. Would we be able to use the facilities (pool, etc) and store our luggage before the 4pm check-in time?

Are there benefits of staying at the resort that I wouldn't get by using DVC points?

The one thing to keep in mind is you only get housekeeping every four days, unless you pay extra. Additionally there are set rooms for DVC, but they have them in all dofferent locations. There is one other time where there would be a difference, which I will get to in a moment, otherwise you get all of the benefits, including bell services.

If you like to go to Disney a lot, I would seriously look at getting DVC membership, but that is another discussion. The one other thing that would be a difference would be that if you got a non DVC room and decided to join DVC, you can usually use a portion of your room cost towards your down payment.

We definitely love Disney, but unfortunately, can't afford to go except maybe every 3 or 4 years.

The lack of housekeeping wouldn't be a problem for me especially for only a 2 night stay.

Do you know... I was told we'd get off the ship no later than 9 on Thursday morning which I would imagine would mean we could get to the resort by 10. Would we be able to use the pool and/or tour the grounds then? Also, would they store our bags for us?

Are the DVC units and Disney units all in the same buildings or are they completely separate?

They will store bags and you can certainly use the pool or tor until your room is ready.

Kidani is all DVC. Jambo's DVC is in one wing I believe, and then the few concierge rooms on the 6th floor (which do include housekeeping and lounge access with free food).

Also keep in mind there is no tax on top of DVC rentals.

WVHokies - West Virginia Hokies? Is that someone from West Virginia who goes/went to Virginia Tech?

Sorry - I have a senior in high school who applied to West Virginia and Virginia Tech. I've got college on the brain. :rotfl:

Anyway - the one thing that comes to mind when comparing the differences between renting a DVC rent versus a regular resort room. It is easier, much easier to cancel and reschedule a non DVC reservation. But your dates are pretty set, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The DVC rooms are a little bit different - one bed and a pull out couch versus two beds. But the rooms do have a microwave.

I agree that you can get a room at a lower rate. Just make sure you rent points from someone reputable.

Happy planning. I love AK and Kidani!

The DVC rooms are at Kidani and they are in certain sections of AKL.

You also get pool hopping privileges when you stay on DVC points - not all resorts, but most.

Do you know... I was told we'd get off the ship no later than 9 on Thursday morning which I would imagine would mean we could get to the resort by 10. Would we be able to use the pool and/or tour the grounds then? Also, would they store our bags for us?

Are the DVC units and Disney units all in the same buildings or are they completely separate?

Yes, you would be able to use the pool and tour the grounds and they will store your bags.

There are some DVC units at Animal Kingdom Lodge and then there is Kidani Village (AKV) that is all DVC. They are booking catagories and you can choose where you may want to stay if there is availability. Kidani has no quick service restaurant so you would have to go to Jambo House at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the Mara. Jambo also has Boma, a buffet restaurant and Jiko, a Signature dining restaurant. Kidani has Sanaa, an Indian/African flavor restaurant. Both AKL and AKV have savanna view rooms.

WVHokies - West Virginia Hokies? Is that someone from West Virginia who goes/went to Virginia Tech?

Sorry - I have a senior in high school who applied to West Virginia and Virginia Tech. I've got college on the brain. :rotfl:

You are very astute and a good guesser! My hubby and I are both VT engineering college alumnae, but when we met after graduation, we lived in WV, so that's where that came from. We are definitely huge Hokie football fans. To complicate things, we now live in my home state of Maryland :)

Thank you everyone for the information. It definitely seems like it makes sense for us to try to see if we can go the DVC point route. Does anyone know which animals you will see in the different houses? Can you request a specific room to see certain animals?

Also, I guess we have access to all the Disney Transportation, too, right?

Thanks again!

I think renting DVC points is one of the best kept secrets! We rented points for Old Key West for the first time last year. I kept thinking there had to be a catch, but our trip was super smooth! I don't know how many is in your party, but OKW has two queens in their studios. The room was really large, and it is a beautiful resort. Just thought I would mention that in case you have 4 people. I even rented from an individual, and I got a really good deal! We went in June, and we paid the same for OKW as Pop would have cost me per night!

The major difference is housekeeping, and no cancellation, pay in full in advance.

Think of it like Priceline, great price, but restrictions.

In a studio you will get 4 towels, if you need more you will need to pay extra for that.

Anyway - the one thing that comes to mind when comparing the differences between renting a DVC rent versus a regular resort room. It is easier, much easier to cancel and reschedule a non DVC reservation. But your dates are pretty set, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The DVC rooms are a little bit different - one bed and a pull out couch versus two beds. But the rooms do have a microwave.

I agree that you can get a room at a lower rate. Just make sure you rent points from someone reputable.

Happy planning. I love AK and Kidani!

The DVC rooms are at Kidani and they are in certain sections of AKL.

You also get pool hopping privileges when you stay on DVC points - not all resorts, but most.

Pool hopping is DVC member perk, technically renters do not get it.

The major difference is housekeeping, and no cancellation, pay in full in advance.

Think of it like Priceline, great price, but restrictions.

In a studio you will get 4 towels, if you need more you will need to pay extra for that.

Thanks for breaking it down for me in such a simple way. I definitely appreciate that!

I did forget to ask about departure. We won't be flying home until 7:15pm on Saturday, so after check-out in the morning, will we still have access to the grounds and will they store our luggage then, too? Also, can we get the Magical Express from there?

Thanks for breaking it down for me in such a simple way. I definitely appreciate that!

I did forget to ask about departure. We won't be flying home until 7:15pm on Saturday, so after check-out in the morning, will we still have access to the grounds and will they store our luggage then, too? Also, can we get the Magical Express from there?

Yes they will and yes to Magical Express.

Since you all are discussing DVC rentals at AKL maybe I can chime in and have a couple of my questions answered since you all seem knowledgeable! We will be staying in AKV Jambo Dec. 7-14 in a 2 bedroom lock off villa. We're super excited as its our first time staying at a deluxe resort! We are renting the points and using David's DVC rentals as a broker. We have 4 adults and 3 kids. I was kinda hoping for Kidani as my mom and brother are both bigger people and would have been comfy in a queen bed each in the 2nd bedroom. I called AKL and the nice gentleman at the front desk informed me that in Jambo the second bedroom has a queen and a sleeper sofa. My question is...Are the sleeper sofas comfortable? Should I see if I could be switched to Kidani? Would it even be possible to switch to Kidani? My mom and brother said that they don't mind the sleeper sofa, but this is a big vacation for them and I really want them to have a magical time! I kind of like the idea of staying in the main lodge, but I don't know if the trade off of the 2nd queen bed is worth it! Any help would be appreciated! Sorry for the long winded post!

Remember with a 7:15 flight ME will pick you up from your resort at least 3 hours prior to your flight.

Three hours seems a good bit in advance of our flight time. I was hoping to have a longer time at one of the parks that day. Maybe we should consider another type of transporatation.

...Kidani is all DVC. Jambo's DVC is in one wing I believe, and then the few concierge rooms on the 6th floor (which do include housekeeping and lounge access with free food).

Also keep in mind there is no tax on top of DVC rentals.

At Jambo House, the entire fifth floor is DVC villas and the sixth floor consists of five two bedroom lockoffs.

...We will be staying in AKV Jambo Dec. 7-14 in a 2 bedroom lock off villa. We're super excited as its our first time staying at a deluxe resort! We are renting the points and using David's DVC rentals as a broker. We have 4 adults and 3 kids. I was kinda hoping for Kidani as my mom and brother are both bigger people and would have been comfy in a queen bed each in the 2nd bedroom. I called AKL and the nice gentleman at the front desk informed me that in Jambo the second bedroom has a queen and a sleeper sofa. My question is...Are the sleeper sofas comfortable? Should I see if I could be switched to Kidani? Would it even be possible to switch to Kidani? My mom and brother said that they don't mind the sleeper sofa, but this is a big vacation for them and I really want them to have a magical time! I kind of like the idea of staying in the main lodge, but I don't know if the trade off of the 2nd queen bed is worth it! Any help would be appreciated! Sorry for the long winded post!

Jambo House does not have any dedicated two bedroom villas. They are all lockoffs - meaning a combination of a studio and a one bedroom with the door between them opened. All studios at AKV have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. So no second bedroom at Jambo House will have two queen beds.

Kidani Village has both dedicated and lockoff villas. A dedicated will have two queen beds in the second bedroom, but no kitchenette and no second entrance into the villa. The lockoff has a queen bed and a double sleeper sofa in the second bedroom, plus the kitchenette and the additional door to the corridor.

Deb & Bill said:
At Jambo House, the entire fifth floor is DVC villas and the sixth floor consists of five two bedroom lockoffs.

Jambo House does not have any dedicated two bedroom villas. They are all lockoffs - meaning a combination of a studio and a one bedroom with the door between them opened. All studios at AKV have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. So no second bedroom at Jambo House will have two queen beds.

Kidani Village has both dedicated and lockoff villas. A dedicated will have two queen beds in the second bedroom, but no kitchenette and no second entrance into the villa. The lockoff has a queen bed and a double sleeper sofa in the second bedroom, plus the kitchenette and the additional door to the corridor.

Do you know if the sleeper sofas are comfy? Would I be able to call the rental broker and ask them to switch the room to a Kidani dedicated 2 bedroom villa or would that be asking too much? I'm probably totally over thinking this!

Do you know if the sleeper sofas are comfy? Would I be able to call the rental broker and ask them to switch the room to a Kidani dedicated 2 bedroom villa or would that be asking too much? I'm probably totally over thinking this!

They aren't horrid, but not as good as a real bed. Contact your broker and see if they can change you.

Deb & Bill said:
They aren't horrid, but not as good as a real bed. Contact your broker and see if they can change you.

Do you think it's "worth" the discomfort to be in the main lodge. I kind of like the idea of more dining choices, bigger store, and more grand lobby :). Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter