Why wouldn't I rent DVC instead of Disney?

Do you know if the sleeper sofas are comfy? Would I be able to call the rental broker and ask them to switch the room to a Kidani dedicated 2 bedroom villa or would that be asking too much? I'm probably totally over thinking this!

Spent 1 night on a sleeper sofa at Kidani. It wasn't horrible but I was sharing it with DH. Wouldn't want to spend my whole vacation on it. Maybe if I had been the only one it would have been better. Personally, I think adults deserve a real bed on vacation. It looks like you have plenty of time to try to switch to a dedicated 2 br at Kidani. It shouldn't cost any more and can't hurt to try. Good Luck!!

Honestly, the pull out beds are very comfortable at AKL, but not at SSR. So it does depend.

As to Kidani or Jambo House, both have advantages and disadvantages. I personally liked Jambo with the easier to find pool (never did find it at Kidani), nice quick service and great table service options, but if you want somewhere quieter or a one bedroom with two bathrooms, go with Kidani.

Three hours seems a good bit in advance of our flight time. I was hoping to have a longer time at one of the parks that day. Maybe we should consider another type of transporatation.

This is the primary fault with Magical Express. The service is great, but that three hours in advance of Flight time is a killer.

We definitely love Disney, but unfortunately, can't afford to go except maybe every 3 or 4 years.

The lack of housekeeping wouldn't be a problem for me especially for only a 2 night stay.

Do you know... I was told we'd get off the ship no later than 9 on Thursday morning which I would imagine would mean we could get to the resort by 10. Would we be able to use the pool and/or tour the grounds then? Also, would they store our bags for us?

Are the DVC units and Disney units all in the same buildings or are they completely separate?

Coming from the cruise, don't count on getting to the resort prior to 11:00. It always takes more time than expected to disembark the ship and transfer to WDW. We were some of the last ones off a couple of weeks ago, we got in line to disembark at about 8:45, didn't get through customs until about 9:30. Our bus to the airport left the port around 9:50, putting us to the airport B Side at around 10:50. WDW is 30 minutes further than the airport and AKL may not be the first or only stop for that bus. You may get there sooner, but don't make hard plans for anything before noon.

DVC villas are usually not ready until at least 4:00 PM, but Bell Services will store luggage for you, until the room is ready, and you call them for delivery.

... We will be staying in AKV Jambo Dec. 7-14 in a 2 bedroom lock off villa... We have 4 adults and 3 kids. I was kinda hoping for Kidani as my mom and brother are both bigger people and would have been comfy in a queen bed each in the 2nd bedroom... My question is...Are the sleeper sofas comfortable? Should I see if I could be switched to Kidani? Would it even be possible to switch to Kidani?... I kind of like the idea of staying in the main lodge, but I don't know if the trade off of the 2nd queen bed is worth it!...

I think your instincts are correct, in that your brother and mother will have a more enjoyable stay if they can each sleep in their own queen bed. I've used the sleeper sofa before, and yeah - it's fine for a night or two, but not nearly as comfortable as a real bed.

My advice would be to try to switch over to Kidani. The points requirement for a 2BR is the same for both Jambo (the main lodge) or Kidani, whether lock-off or dedicated. It will cost the owner nothing to make the change, other than the time to make a phone call. In my experience, there always seems to be more availability at Kidani than at Jambo (Kidani has many more DVC villas than does Jambo).

Another consideration is that you will have an extra bathroom if you switch to Kidani (3 bathrooms, as opposed to the 2 you would have at Jambo).

What you may lose in the way of super-convenient dining options will more than be made up for in confort, IMHO.

Good luck!

wvhokies said:
We definitely love Disney, but unfortunately, can't afford to go except maybe every 3 or 4 years.

The lack of housekeeping wouldn't be a problem for me especially for only a 2 night stay.

Do you know... I was told we'd get off the ship no later than 9 on Thursday morning which I would imagine would mean we could get to the resort by 10. Would we be able to use the pool and/or tour the grounds then? Also, would they store our bags for us?

Are the DVC units and Disney units all in the same buildings or are they completely separate?

Once you check in, even if your room isn't ready, the front desk will hold your luggage and you'll be able to afford yourself of the facilities.

Thanks so much for helping us make up our mind. We just put in a deposit with David's, so I've got my fingers crossed that they'll be able to get us a studio for our stay. Anyone know which savannah view studios get to see the most animals? Can you request a certain room?

We did this after our cruise in August. We rented for two nights at AKL. We were actually at the resort by about 9 am. Fortunately for us, our room was ready! It worked out great. Only downside to AKL is that we didn't have a car, and our room was at the FAR end of Kidani Village and it was a long walk to the elevators. If you have a choice, I would rather stay at Jambo, as the quick service dining is there. But renting is definitely the way to go. We have done it a couple of times, and whenever it fits into our plans, we definitely do it. Usually for us, only a book end to a different stay, but I woud highly recommend it. You get more space for about the price of a moderate room. Sometimes less. We used the ME, but had to have the person we rented from arrange it for us, since he "owned" the reservation. That's the only real downside. Fortunately, we have rented from the same guy the times we have done it, and trust that everything will be handled for us. Go for it!

DVC villas are usually not ready until at least 4:00 PM, but Bell Services will store luggage for you, until the room is ready, and you call them for delivery.

Not sure if it is the same renting DVC post-cruise, but when we rented Pre-cruise last year it was very easy. We just left our bags in the hotel room the morning of the cruise and they showed up in our stateroom that afternoon (not sure if it works in reverse, but I assume so since on departure we left our bags outside our room on the ship and didn't see them again til baggage claim in our hometown). This bag service was awesome and I was thrilled that it worked with DVC Rentals too:thumbsup2.

Coming from the cruise, don't count on getting to the resort prior to 11:00. It always takes more time than expected to disembark the ship and transfer to WDW. We were some of the last ones off a couple of weeks ago, we got in line to disembark at about 8:45, didn't get through customs until about 9:30. Our bus to the airport left the port around 9:50, putting us to the airport B Side at around 10:50. WDW is 30 minutes further than the airport and AKL may not be the first or only stop for that bus. You may get there sooner, but don't make hard plans for anything before noon.

Check-in time is 4 PM, I do expect my room to be ready at that time. So far, we have only had one experience where our room wasn't available early at that was at Grand Californian. But it was available by 4. At AKL (Jambo House), our room was apparently ready by around 8 AM. We weren't there yet, but it was ready.

Now I will say that of the room isn't ready by 4 and I am there, I would expect some compensation. What that might be would depend on how long I had to wait. For example, some people we were talking to at Kidani while we were waiting for Dinner still weren't able to get into thier room after 5:30. In thier case, they found out that on top of that thier dining reservations got messed up and they had Be Our Guest at the same time as thier Candlelight package. They were originally told that there were no options. I suggested they push a little and use the room not being available as leverage. They were able to reschedule with no problems after that. So, compensation doesn't always come in the form of money, but I would expect some form of compensation if the room isn't ready by check-in and i wanted to check in at that time, and I would expect that anywhere I might stay, Disney or not.

Check-in time is 4 PM, I do expect my room to be ready at that time. So far, we have only had one experience where our room wasn't available early at that was at Grand Californian. But it was available by 4. At AKL (Jambo House), our room was apparently ready by around 8 AM. We weren't there yet, but it was ready.

Now I will say that of the room isn't ready by 4 and I am there, I would expect some compensation. What that might be would depend on how long I had to wait. For example, some people we were talking to at Kidani while we were waiting for Dinner still weren't able to get into thier room after 5:30. In thier case, they found out that on top of that thier dining reservations got messed up and they had Be Our Guest at the same time as thier Candlelight package. They were originally told that there were no options. I suggested they push a little and use the room not being available as leverage. They were able to reschedule with no problems after that. So, compensation doesn't always come in the form of money, but I would expect some form of compensation if the room isn't ready by check-in and i wanted to check in at that time, and I would expect that anywhere I might stay, Disney or not.

Actually check in is "after 4pm" it is written on your reservation.

travelgirl06 said:
Not sure if it is the same renting DVC post-cruise, but when we rented Pre-cruise last year it was very easy. We just left our bags in the hotel room the morning of the cruise and they showed up in our stateroom that afternoon (not sure if it works in reverse, but I assume so since on departure we left our bags outside our room on the ship and didn't see them again til baggage claim in our hometown). This bag service was awesome and I was thrilled that it worked with DVC Rentals too:thumbsup2.

The other way it is a little different. You will have two choices after the cruise - leave your bags outside the room and collect them at customs (they only take them if you are going straight to the airport) or take them yourself. They are very efficient, but your best bet is to grab a quick breakfast and take them off yourself. If you have nothing to declare you should breeze through customs (but of course they have the right to search your bags if they choose).

I find if you get to the resort before most people arrive from the airport (so before 10 or so) you have a good chance of getting a room (unless a very busy time of year). Otherwise, it is almost always 4pm.

I agree that it is an expectation that rooms should be available no later than 4:00 pm, however, in reality, the official line from Disney and DVC is that check-in is after 4:00 pm, there is no guarantee that all rooms are ready at that time,. Personal experience and experiences of other Disboard members clearly shows that in some cases rooms have not been available at that time. Based on their official policy, I don't believe one would be entitled to compensation in that circumstance either. My original statement to the OP (who is a renter and not a member) was made so that they would have a realistic expectation based on DVC's official policy on check-in and room availability

You are very astute and a good guesser! My hubby and I are both VT engineering college alumnae, but when we met after graduation, we lived in WV, so that's where that came from. We are definitely huge Hokie football fans. To complicate things, we now live in my home state of Maryland :)

Neat! My son has applied to engineering at VT, WVU, and University of Maryland, so all your bases are covered! :rotfl2: Still waiting to hear from Maryland and VT.

Actually check in is "after 4pm" it is written on your reservation.

Ok, then 4:01 PM, the room should be ready. I don't think that is an unrealistic expectation. And, yes I will push for something if its not ready when I check in at check in time. I pay for my room, in this case in the form of points, with certain expectations. One of those is that my room will be ready at the posted check in time. If those expectations are not met, I would expect some type of compensation. Like I said, this is true no matter where I am staying.

cmwade77 said:
Ok, then 4:01 PM, the room should be ready. I don't think that is an unrealistic expectation. And, yes I will push for something if its not ready when I check in at check in time. I pay for my room, in this case in the form of points, with certain expectations. One of those is that my room will be ready at the posted check in time. If those expectations are not met, I would expect some type of compensation. Like I said, this is true no matter where I am staying.

the posted check in time is "after 4pm." could be 4:01, could be 4:30. i dont think you deserve anything if its ready after 4pm as thats how its stated. do you pay the resort more when its ready at 1pm? maybe next time its ready before 4, they should make you wait. hopefully you arent being rude and pushy when you are "asking" for compensation but it sounds like you might be the type of person that is.

Not rude; however, I do see check in time as a contract. If its ready before that, that's cool, but never expected.

But, when checkin time specifies after a certain time, I do expect that time to be honored, as I am paying for a minimum amount of time in the room, based on the check in and check out times. If the room is not available at the check in time, then that is money, points, however the room was paid for that is being stolen from me without giving me what I used them for. When it says after x time, that means to me that that is the latest possible time the room will be ready.

In the case of the people we were talking with it was about 6 PM and their room was still not ready. This would be completely unacceptable to me. We ran into them later and it was almost 7 before they were able to get into their room.

Yes, I would expect something for that, they were happy with adjusted dinner reservations, I might have pushed for a bit more considering the time, but if that's what makes them happy, good for them.

Not rude; however, I do see check in time as a contract. If its ready before that, that's cool, but never expected.

But, when checkin time specifies after a certain time, I do expect that time to be honored, as I am paying for a minimum amount of time in the room, based on the check in and check out times. If the room is not available at the check in time, then that is money, points, however the room was paid for that is being stolen from me without giving me what I used them for. When it says after x time, that means to me that that is the latest possible time the room will be ready.

In the case of the people we were talking with it was about 6 PM and their room was still not ready. This would be completely unacceptable to me. We ran into them later and it was almost 7 before they were able to get into their room.

Yes, I would expect something for that, they were happy with adjusted dinner reservations, I might have pushed for a bit more considering the time, but if that's what makes them happy, good for them.

You are still stuck on checking in at 4PM. DVC check in is AFTER 4PM. That might be 4:30, it might be 4:01, it might be 5:00. Nothing is stolen from your at all and the contract is honored with all those times. You won't get any compensation, especially if you whine a bunch, for a room at 4:30 or so. But you might get a room credit if you have to wait until nearly 6. And, then again, you might just get "I'm so sorry your villa wasn't available sooner, but there was a problem with the villa that we needed to resolve."

You are still stuck on checking in at 4PM. DVC check in is AFTER 4PM. That might be 4:30, it might be 4:01, it might be 5:00. Nothing is stolen from your at all and the contract is honored with all those times. You won't get any compensation, especially if you whine a bunch, for a room at 4:30 or so. But you might get a room credit if you have to wait until nearly 6. And, then again, you might just get "I'm so sorry your villa wasn't available sooner, but there was a problem with the villa that we needed to resolve."

I disagree, in California at least, the law would be quite clear that would mean the room must be available at 4:01 PM and no later. We had hotels out here try to pull that and they have gotten into trouble.

I honestly expect nothing less than that from anywhere I stay. If it says after 4, that means the room is to be available by no later than 4:01 PM.

After 4 means the room is to be available by 4:01 and no later. If the checkin time said the room may not be available until 6 or something like that, it would be a different story, but if I show up after 4 and the check in time is after 4, the room is supposed to be ready. Seems pretty simplistic to me.

I disagree, in California at least, the law would be quite clear that would mean the room must be available at 4:01 PM and no later. We had hotels out here try to pull that and they have gotten into trouble.

I honestly expect nothing less than that from anywhere I stay. If it says after 4, that means the room is to be available by no later than 4:01 PM.

After 4 means the room is to be available by 4:01 and no later. If the checkin time said the room may not be available until 6 or something like that, it would be a different story, but if I show up after 4 and the check in time is after 4, the room is supposed to be ready. Seems pretty simplistic to me.

Only GCVillas are in California. So, it really doesn't matter what California says.

After 4PM means anytime after 4. Not just 4:01.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter