Will the glass ceiling finally break?

Just started watching today's show, and they're talking about this very topic as the first point of discussion.

Oh yeah, they're not going to touch the prices. That wouldn't make any sense.

It's much easier and more psychologically effective to offer discounts, incentives, and enticements. They don't want to go thru the agony of price hikes again after travel stabilizes. If Parks are perfect at anything, it's their ability to persuade guests into spending just a bit more no matter which budget style. 'If you can spend X amount, then for a little extra you'll get so much more' :) That will continue to apply, just with much larger carrots.

I'm curious how they'll maintain the sale of upgrade tickets.

Yes - I do realize the prices would be lowered due to lower crowds - I understand how that "advertising math" works. However, I also think so many would start streaming back in such short order that "the window" in which I might get back, and have the lower crowds would be very short, and I'd find myself having to plan a last minute trip to take advantage of that, which also does not appeal to me personally. There might not even be a "lower crowds" window - they'll lower the prices, people will book using them, then have either no, or a VERY short window. And since it's already past the time weather-wise that I want to be there, we're talking about only Nov. and Dec. of this year, into next, when the 50th stuff will start, and NO WAY do I want to be there then, even though I was there twice during the 25th year, and VERY excited about it. I - again - just ME PERSONALLY - am also much older, and much less mobile than then, so also have the logistics, and added cost, of an ECV every single day of any trip I do take, now going forward. With that - that's again where crowds heavily figure into the equation for me.

Again - I would LOVE to say I'm wrong, from a guest experience standpoint, and not a stockholder, of course.. But even if I am, I, personally, am not planning a trip until at least '23, and maybe not even then. But who knows - if I AM totally off my rocker, and crowds ARE ow for an extended period of time.............

I wholeheartedly agree. If anyone is planning on taking advantage of price breaks, I would act quickly once released. I think we'll be looking at a very short window! Of course, that's just my opinion....

If we're talking about the price of park tickets, I can't see those going down. But what I can see is the "peak" calendar being adjusted to having less "peak" days and more "value" days.

They'll probably offer hotel packages with tickets.... but let's be real - before buying a package, you need to break apart the components and see if you're actually getting a good value. Are you really saving money, or did they just package it nicely and include a bunch of "bonuses" that you normally wouldn't purchase?

I can see discounts for DVC Members and AP holders. Now is a great time to reward their loyal fan base. I also see less blockouts for APs.

Speaking APs.... they might bring back the deal they had for Disneyland last summer, which was "Bring a Friend! (for $99)"

Definitely hotel discounts. You'll see them more at the deluxe hotels and in upgraded rooms.

But this is all assuming that people are still afraid to travel, and Disney Parks & Resorts aren't seeing crowds.

I keep seeing so many people talking about pent up demand for Disney. The longer this goes on the more people will lose jobs or have little money to go to Disney. I doubt crowds will return to normal anytime soon especially if a lot of people are out of jobs.

I keep seeing so many people talking about pent up demand for Disney. The longer this goes on the more people will lose jobs or have little money to go to Disney. I doubt crowds will return to normal anytime soon especially if a lot of people are out of jobs.
That is what I was just going to post. I know that there will be a lot of people who have cancelled vacations because of the parks closing, and they will go back, so that may keep some crowds in the park for a bit. But, this health crisis is world wide and as many are worried about how they will keep food on the table (literally) and are loosing their businesses because they have had to close, I can't see a Disney vacation as being a priority for a lot of people. But, who knows... With all the big plans for Epcot, the 50th and the packages Disney will most likely put out to lure people back, I could be wrong.

That is what I was just going to post. I know that there will be a lot of people who have cancelled vacations because of the parks closing, and they will go back, so that may keep some crowds in the park for a bit. But, this health crisis is world wide and as many are worried about how they will keep food on the table (literally) and are loosing their businesses because they have had to close, I can't see a Disney vacation as being a priority for a lot of people. But, who knows... With all the big plans for Epcot, the 50th and the packages Disney will most likely put out to lure people back, I could be wrong.
Disney may do that but for a lot of Americans going to Disney or any theme park will be the last thing they want to do. Putting food on the table and having some sort of income will me way more important.

Disney may do that but for a lot of Americans going to Disney or any theme park will be the last thing they want to do. Putting food on the table and having some sort of income will me way more important.
Agreed. This is going to be a new 'normal' for a lot of people. I know some who have completely shut their businesses down, have been laid off, etc. So, if this does in fact go on for a few months, i can't see jumping on a plane and heading to Disney being the priority for those who are trying to rebuild their lives (literally for some) financially. I mean, there are a lot of people who would have lost a lot on the stock market too, so that will be a huge factor for some.

As a company based on consumer spending, we will have a much clearer understanding of how Disney will move forward after April 3rd when the BLS releases its March employment numbers. This will be the first real measure of COVID-19's impact on the economy.

In no way was my original post trying to be insensitive to the current situation, it was meant to start dialog regarding the place we all love. I know booking another vacation is a positive distraction for a lot of people including myself, even if it doesn’t come to fruition. 😊

@disneyseniors Just a quick hijack - are you the lady that always writes the EXCELLENT "WDW as Seniors" articles on the DIS? If so, I ALWAYS enjoy them SO much, and would be VERY sad for you that you're also not considering going back anytime soon. But, would totally understand, as I've noted.

If not, never mind. :rotfl2:
LOL, I do write for Seniors, sometimes called "A Senior View" for Allears. I've been writing them for years. However, I haven't written any lately. Taking a break from it. So, thanks, but that's not me. I'll have to look the WDW as Seniors articles and check them out. I have tried to contact the DIS before about having more content for Seniors at Disney, but got no response, so thought they were not interested in us older fans? That makes me want to write a few more for Allears soon:) Thanks !
Just wondering how you picked up on the fact that I write Senior articles? And we will more than likely, be, going to Arizona and making a trip to Disneyland to see if we can get the magic back! Of course, when all is clear after this virus has cleared up.

Last edited:
Just
LOL, I do write for Seniors, sometimes called "A Senior View" for Allears. I've been writing them for years. However, I haven't written any lately. Taking a break from it. So, thanks, but that's not me. I'll have to look the WDW as Seniors articles and check them out. I have tried to contact the DIS before about having more content for Seniors at Disney, but got no response, so thought they were not interested in us older fans? That makes me want to write a few more for Allears soon:) Thanks !
Just wondering how you picked up on the fact that I write Senior articles? And we will more than likely, be, going to Arizona and making a trip to Disneyland to see if we can get the magic back! Of course, when all is clear after this virus has cleared up.
@disneyseniors
Remembered reading, and enjoying them, and figured it might have been you, due to your user name. :o

ETA: Wait a minute though - are you a retired Nurse? If so, maybe it was in t he AllEars newsletter I saw those articles?

That is exactly what I expect - no way I see them lowering the face value of park tickets (maybe they offer more options - like those mid-day entry tickets or something)

But I expect a lot of hotel deals and package deals where they can sort of hide the discounting on tickets

Totally. There's going to be some crazy package deals to fill up the resorts.

Just

@disneyseniors
Remembered reading, and enjoying them, and figured it might have been you, due to your user name. :o

ETA: Wait a minute though - are you a retired Nurse? If so, maybe it was in t he AllEars newsletter I saw those articles?
LOL, yes I am a retired nurse, so you are right, it was in AllEars! The owners/managers of that website have changed and I kind of let my articles slack off. I don't know the new people, and had a good friendship with the old editor:) I think I will write again though. I am not a writer at all. I just got tired of nothing on the Disney sites about WDW and Seniors and pitched the idea to the editor, and they loved it. I asked the dis too, but they aren't interested, at least I never heard back from them. I think there are a lot of seniors out there who love disney and are now able to travel more (before all this virus started that is). Glad you liked the articles:)

I see package deals coming. I went in 2009 with the buy 4 get 3 deal. I believe we paid for 4 nights at CBR, got 3 nights free, same with the park tickets plus the $200 gift card. Room, tickets and DDP for a family of 4 was $2800. I don't know if we only paid for 4 nights of the DDP or if we paid that completely.

Why do say falsely booming, Brett? I really wanna understand if you can explain without violating political guidelines. If you can’t, don’t worry about it.😊
I think what he meant is although we see, or saw the market going up to record levels, many Americans didn't see that reflected in their paychecks. Even though unemployment is at all time lows, most of the jobs created were low wage, and people needed 2 or 3 to survive.

my .02

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter