Will they honor tickets or require new ones?

audrey2580

DIS Veteran
I know we don't know yet but I was justing thinking - I wonder if they will honor existing tickets that people have and allow them to make reservations or will they do a money grab and have people buy a specific day which then gives you a reservation. Almost like a special event ticket. Seems the later would be easier for them to control especially if they are only allowing California residents. They would require an address for payment. At least while it's only 15% capacity.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
I know we don't know yet but I was justing thinking - I wonder if they will honor existing tickets that people have and allow them to make reservations or will they do a money grab and have people buy a specific day which then gives you a reservation. Almost like a special event ticket. Seem the later would be easier for them to control especially if they are only allowing California residents. They would require an address for payment. At least while it's only 15% capacity.
Thoughts?

I'm pretty certain that they WILL require an address for payment, so there won't be any funky way around the CA resident requirement at first. Everyone who's from outside CA will have to wait.

I have park hoppers that I purchased very early last year(on the sale at par). We could not go as planned in November and I was considering cancelling them, so I called Disney to get my money back. The guest services clerk on the phone gave me some encouraging news about my tickets that were going to expire Dec 31 (last year).

We had several options:
1) Keep the tickets and they are now scheduled to expire in Dec 2021,

2) give them away for anyone from Canada to use (I could not "sell" them, just give them away),

3) Hold them for any date in the future for full value of the purchase (USD) in essence a credit for what we paid; or

4) cash them in for a full refund. She also said that if we cashed them in, there was no re-booking them at a later date (understandable).

The agent also informed me that once the park re-opens they would honour those guests with pre-purchased tickets FIRST and then walk-up customers. So if there were limited admittance restrictions on any given day that our tickets would get us front of line access.

We are looking at going in November.... if all the stars align and we can get our shots.

The agent also informed me that once the park re-opens they would honour those guests with pre-purchased tickets FIRST and then walk-up customers. So if there were limited admittance restrictions on any given day that our tickets would get us front of line access.

The last bullet point of the new red tier restrictions says "Online ticket purchases only". That's what leads me to believe that new tickets may be required. I also doubt that park-hopping will be allowed due to attendance caps, and we know FastPass/MaxPass won't be available, so there would need to be some sort of reimbursement if existing tickets had those features. It seems like they will have to sell new, one-park-per-day tickets online, and you'll probably have to make your reservation in conjunction with your ticket purchase. Walk-up ticket sales won't be allowed.

The last bullet point of the new red tier restrictions says "Online ticket purchases only". That's what leads me to believe that new tickets may be required. I also doubt that park-hopping will be allowed due to attendance caps, and we know FastPass/MaxPass won't be available, so there would need to be some sort of reimbursement if existing tickets had those features. It seems like they will have to sell new, one-park-per-day tickets online, and you'll probably have to make your reservation in conjunction with your ticket purchase. Walk-up ticket sales won't be allowed.
I took that to mean advance ticket purchases only through Disney (or respective theme park) directly as opposed to at the gate. It’ll be interesting to see what it actually means!

I would guess that they would not have extended expiration dates if they didn’t plan on honoring the tickets. We will see. I’m anxious to hear all the details! We have unused tickets from last year.

I took that to mean advance ticket purchases only through Disney (or respective theme park) directly as opposed to at the gate. It’ll be interesting to see what it actually means!

You may be right. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. If your tickets are parkhoppers with MaxPass, would you expect Disney to refund the difference between that and a one park per day regular ticket?

You may be right. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. If your tickets are parkhoppers with MaxPass, would you expect Disney to refund the difference between that and a one park per day regular ticket?
I would hope so, but honestly I don’t know. I feel like when they had planned to open last year, they were going to. But their opening plans never got far enough to really know.

I have a feeling they'll either create a way to credit the price of the 'old' ticket towards the purchase of the 'new' one during the purchase/reserve process, or to be able to assign a date to the 'old ticket' to make it a 'reservable' one.

Their only other choice would be to refund the price of the 'old' ticket to those people who wouldn't be able to use them at a later date, because no one knows when DL will move from reservations to 'any day', IF they ever do!

Yes, I would expect Disney to refund the difference. Last spring we had booked a package that included hotel and park tickets with parkhopper and maxpass. When they discontinued maxpass, they refunded that amount back to me.

I wonder the same thing. A charity that I'm part of got tickets in January 2022, good until January 2022 (park hoppers) for doing more charitable things. We were originally going to have it as part of a fundraiser in May 2020, but that didn't happen (obviously). I wonder if we can still auction them off for a new fundraiser (would only do so if the tickets are actually good)

They extended the expiration dates before they decided to cancel the AP program and refund everyone.

I would not be surprised if they decide to just refund all existing ticket holders and make everyone start over.

The fine print of the reopening announcement mentions that they reserve the right to cancel and refund any admission media at any time. Get ready for it.

My questions regards the limitation on out-of-state visitors. I have five-day hoppers that I bought before the closure. My concern is that they won't open up till after summer to out-of-state visitors, and I can't go after summer break. I don't understand at all why non-Californians can't go to the parks when we're able to go to Touch of Disney (and I am) and other things, but, as that's how things are, I really want to know how people with existing tickets who will still have access forbidden are going to be dealt with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter