Will you expect Disney to be fully operational when cruises start back up? For the price, I surely hope so...

It will be businesses that will force everyone to get the vaccine, not necessarily the governments. That’s how governments will get everyone vaccinated without having to deal with lawsuits.

CDC hates cruise ships anyway. So those guidelines will be intense.

Last edited:
I really hope they give us definite answers on what cruising will look like before PIF dates for the first cruises. We’re booked for Christmas 2021, but we won’t go if kids clubs aren’t open or if masks are required on the pool deck. I’m just worried we won’t know any details before our PIF date and we’ll be locked in.

When Disney starts up, there will absolutely be limitations at first. They simply won't be able to go from being shut down to 100% immediately, but over time, it will return to a "new normal" where most, if not all, of the key aspects of cruising will be in place. The first cruises will have social distancing in place with limited capacity, masks required and probably limitations on excursions. From there, we'll see.

It doesn't seem like Disney is discounting their cruise fares in the slightest, so I would expect, for them to sail again, they will need to have no restrictions. Meaning, full entertainment, food, alcohol and pool/spa availability.

I just booked May 2022, I'm traveling with friend who has never been on any cruise, nevermind a Disney cruise. I expect her to be wowed by the shows, the dining experience, and even Palo. (or whatever it's called on the Dream)

I would never expect DCL to relax their cruise fare, even with tons of restrictions.

I think by May 2022, things might have returned (at least partially) to « normal »... (expecting a « new normal »)...

However, for the rest of 2021, I believe that if DCL is sailing, vaccination/PCR tests and masks will be mandatory.

Last edited:
I guess we can agree to disagree here.

People in the U.S. had a hard enough time following simple protocols when COVID was at one of its several peaks. They’re going to be even less inclined to comply once things start to taper off, especially on the super-expensive cruise they paid for.

There may be little things here and there that are different on the ships going forward - mandatory hand-washing/sanitizing before entering the restaurants/buffet comes to mind - but permanent social distancing in the theaters? I just don’t see it.

How could you carry that policy through the rest of the ship? In the pools, in the MDRs, in the night clubs? You can’t.

Theaters, pools and MDR is quite easy if you create a physical distance... They can remove seats. They can remove lounger and put space between them (bolt them to the floor if they have to!)... They could easily implement a reservation system just like they do with other activities. The lifeguard can monitor the amount of people in the pool. In the MDR, they can remove tables.

Honestly, I wish they would keep some of the measures in the future. It can be hard to find loungers at times and the dining rooms are so cramped, which is part of the reasons why I tend to prefer signature dining... More room around our table, more privacy...

I’m thinking that while they are at it, they might as well reconsider the maximum capacity permitted on each ship in consideration of the future. These measures will help preventing future outbreaks of norovirus, etc.

Plus, I wouldn’t mind paying more for a more « spacious » experience.

We are Canadian, booked on a May 2022 Alaskan cruise. Almost 90% of Canadians say they plan to be vaccinated. The US numbers are much lower. It is possible that travellers to Canada may need proof of vaccination to enter or have to quarantine for 14 days as is the case now so may not be Disney setting the rules for Vancouver departures. Nothing has been decided, but the border is still closed. This is a real ethical dilemma for a lot of countries. Right now, some Canadian provinces are entering a third wave with the variant.

Theaters, pools and MDR is quite easy if you create a physical distance... They can remove seats. They can remove lounger and put space between them (bolt them to the floor if they have to!)... They could easily implement a reservation system just like they do with other activities. The lifeguard can monitor the amount of people in the pool. In the MDR, they can remove tables.

Honestly, I wish they would keep some of the measures in the future. It can be hard to find loungers at times and the dining rooms are so cramped, which is part of the reasons why I tend to prefer signature dining... More room around our table, more privacy...

I’m thinking that while they are at it, they might as well reconsider the maximum capacity permitted on each ship in consideration of the future. These measures will help preventing future outbreaks of norovirus, etc.

Plus, I wouldn’t mind paying more for a more « spacious » experience.
[/QUOTE

My point was predicated on two (I think, fairly reasonable) assumptions:

1.) given the option, DCL is not going to sail with less people. They want to fill as many staterooms as possible on the billion-dollar ships they built. As soon as the CDC gives them the discretion, DCL will go right back to doing whatever they can to maximize occupancy.

And it’s not just the fare revenue that’s important - it’s the discretionary spend revenue as well. Less people (even if they pay a higher fare) means less people at the bars, less people shopping, less people paying for shore excursions, less people tipping the serving teams and stateroom attendants, etc.

2.) U.S. passengers, again, will not put up with the things you mentioned long-term. Pool and/or slides are too full, and my kid can’t get in or get on for hours? A reservation to go to the kids clubs or buffet? Especially given how much the cruise costs, and that such stringent measures are no longer taken on land?

DCL will abide by whatever limitations the CDC mandates in order to get sailing again, but once the handcuffs are off?

Last edited:
My point was predicated on two (I think, fairly reasonable) assumptions:

1.) given the option, DCL is not going to sail with less people. They want to fill as many staterooms as possible on the billion-dollar ships they built. As soon as the CDC gives them the discretion, DCL will go right back to doing whatever they can to maximize occupancy.

And it’s not just the fare revenue that’s important - it’s the discretionary spend revenue as well. Less people (even if they pay a higher fare) means less people at the bars, less people shopping, less people paying for shore excursions, less people tipping the serving teams and stateroom attendants, etc.

2.) U.S. passengers, again, will not put up with the things you mentioned long-term. Pool and/or slides are too full, and my kid can’t get in or get on for hours? A reservation to go to the kids clubs or buffet? Especially given how much the cruise costs, and that such stringent measures are no longer taken on land?

DCL will abide by whatever limitations the CDC mandates in order to get sailing again, but once the handcuffs are off?

1) Which is why I was talking about an increase in price. To compensate for losses due to a smaller guests capacity.

2) I was thinking reservations for shows... Just like one would do for an excursion or a special event (characters meet and greet, etc.) Maybe pool time as well? (I know hotels do it right now)

I don’t know if it’s cultural but here, while there was a few exception, Canadians were pretty good at respecting health measures since the very beginning. We adapted.

It’s going to be like pretty much every sanitary rule (like when they forbid smoking in public spaces): people will whine at the beginning, but when they miss it enough, most will come back and just follow the rules.

I think the difference may be in how the ships have to respond to a percentage of positive cases. Under current guidelines ships have to return to port and debark everyone. In a land based situation, some people might be quarantined, but you would not need to evacuate an entire business, hotel, etc. The ships might continue to be more stringent to prevent having to end cruises early.

1) Which is why I was talking about an increase in price. To compensate for losses due to a smaller guests capacity.

2) I was thinking reservations for shows... Just like one would do for an excursion or a special event (characters meet and greet, etc.) Maybe pool time as well? (I know hotels do it right now)

I don’t know if it’s cultural but here, while there was a few exception, Canadians were pretty good at respecting health measures since the very beginning. We adapted.

It’s going to be like pretty much every sanitary rule (like when they forbid smoking in public spaces): people will whine at the beginning, but when they miss it enough, most will come back and just follow the rules.

You’re proposing a permanent increase in prices on everything, not just fares, in order to keep the ships less populated on a going-forward basis? Merchandise, specialty dining, port adventures, alcohol, spa services, photo packages, drinks of the day, suggested tip amounts?

If you reduce the ship occupancy by 30%, that means that passengers will see a roughly 42% increase in those costs to make the same amount of money as a fully booked ship. That’s just cowboy math, but probably close enough to demonstrate that that would be a huge mark-up on an already over-priced cruise line.

And maybe it is cultural. I am not particularly proud of how many Americans willfully refused to follow the COVID-19 protocols, but regardless of how I feel, it is what it is. And Americans are the people who make up the majority of DCL customers.

Last edited:
I think the difference may be in how the ships have to respond to a percentage of positive cases. Under current guidelines ships have to return to port and debark everyone. In a land based situation, some people might be quarantined, but you would not need to evacuate an entire business, hotel, etc. The ships might continue to be more stringent to prevent having to end cruises early.

As you said, “under current guidelines,” sure. I think there is enough pent-up demand for cruising where people are willing to accept those compromises right now.

But long-term? I guess that would depend on what the threshold percentage of positive cases is in order for the ship to be required to turn back, and if people think the health risk is large enough to justify that percentage.

Last edited:
You’re proposing a permanent increase in prices on everything, not just fares, in order to keep the ships less populated on a going-forward basis? Merchandise, specialty dining, port adventures, alcohol, spa services, photo packages, drinks of the day, suggested tip amounts?

If you reduce the ship occupancy by 30%, that means that passengers will see a roughly 42% increase in those costs to make the same amount of money as a fully booked ship. That’s just cowboy math, but probably close enough to demonstrate that that would be a huge mark-up on an already over-priced cruise line.

And maybe it is cultural. I am not particularly proud of how many Americans willfully refused to follow the COVID-19 protocols, but regardless of how I feel, it is what it is. And Americans are the people who make up the majority of DCL customers.

I am not talking about reducing the guest capacity by 30%... I haven't said any number.

I'm just saying that it could be a good timing to reconsider the max capacity in other to make ships safer in the future. Whatever that percentage is.

If being safer comes with a bigger price tag, so be it.

If I'm priced out from DCL, I'll cruise exclusively on other lines and/or cruise less with them.

I am not talking about reducing the guest capacity by 30%... I haven't said any number.

I'm just saying that it could be a good timing to reconsider the max capacity in other to make ships safer in the future. Whatever that percentage is.

If being safer comes with a bigger price tag, so be it.

If I'm priced out from DCL, I'll cruise exclusively on other lines and/or cruise less with them.

I know you didn't. I just used a round number that approximates the current restrictions in place for bars, restaurants, gyms, etc. - close-quarters stuff, like most common areas of a cruise would be. Seemed like a good a number as any to start with to demonstrate that a decrease in passengers would mean a disproportionate increase in costs for those who did cruise, if DCL wanted to make the same amount of money. And I guarantee you that they want to make more than just the same amount of money.

Everyone will have their magic number in terms of the trade-off. 10% reduction = 11% increase. 20% reduction = 25% increase. 40% reduction = 66% increase.
  • Would a 10% less-crowded ship "feel" noticeably less-crowded? I don't think so - at least, not enough to justify the 11% price hike. And would 10% make a dent in potential COVID transmissability rates? I have no idea.
  • Would a 25% less-crowded ship feel less-crowded? Yeah, but would I be willing to pay a 33% mark-up for that? Probably not.
I couldn't (and wouldn't) tell you that your opinion is wrong. I, too, hate how crowded the ships can be, and wouldn't mind paying a little more for a less-crowded ship. And I am sure DCL would love to increase their profitability by bringing in the same amount of money (or more) while reducing costs by needing to service fewer customers.

I just think that your proposed changes to the cruising experience, hand-in-glove with the resultant overall increase in cost to the cruiser, will meet a point of price resistance that not even already-overpriced DCL's fortuitous branding and marketing machine can overcome. Especially if RCCL, CCL and NCL are less stringent.

I certainly hope that when Disney starts back to cruising that they are at near normal. DCL does not bring in the profits that the other divisions bring in and therefore there is not the drive to get them back up and going. You read articles all the time from the other cruise lines talking about getting back to cruising. Disney, virtually nil. Disney charges a premium for a premium product. If they are going to deliver a less than premium product, then they take the risk of losing that customer that is willing to pay their prices. Think about things like this. Do you want to have to make a reservation to use the pool or have a deck chair available to you? How about no socialization on the ship because of 6' distancing. Do you want all the small clubs closed or having to make a reservation for trivia or karaoke. I was a very firm believer in masks, now that I am vaccinated, I think that I would rather have a no mask trip with everybody on the ship vaccinated and everything back to normal.

We just rebooked Alaska for 2022. Hoping that everything has returned to normal by then. Masks, a vaccine requirement, reduced entertainment, restricted excursions are all deal breakers for us.

We just rebooked Alaska for 2022. Hoping that everything has returned to normal by then. Masks, a vaccine requirement, reduced entertainment, restricted excursions are all deal breakers for us.

why a vaccine requirement? Seems to be the only way to limit liability for the company and to ensure everyone getting on is protected as best as they can be. I understand there are very, very, very, very limited circumstances where people cannot get them but otherwise by summer 2022, everyone will be eligible for a long time including kids of all ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter