• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2023 (Nov. 2-5, 2023)

If I can convince DH to extend our vacation a few more days, I might be in for it. Mostly will depend of finances. We're already going to be there roughly the 7-17. Also depends on when our homeschool group mandatory meeting is. Hopefully they release those dates soon so I can plan to stress over registering or not. Lol.

I am hoping to do the 5k. I’ve tried a few times to do the half marathon for W+D half and something always happened to make it not happen. Pregnancy, health issues, unplanned surgery etc. I am giving up on the half. Wouldn’t mind doing the 10k but I’m thinking about maybe doing the 5k and then heading right to the Disney Wish that morning? I have a 5 and 8 year old. They are quickly aging out of DCL so I want to get on a cruise soon.

DH will not be thrilled about another Disney trip but will mostly likely agree if RunDisney is involved. He enjoys the race weekend atmosphere and knows running makes me happy. Now, I just need to figure out the $ part.

I'm probably in for this! I've done MW in '20, '22, and '23, but I want to drop back to HM distances and this would be a fun change of pace. I took a look after @marty3d mentioned he was planning for this weekend, and I think it'll be fun to do a shorter food-and-wine getaway with my wife, as opposed to working our family's big annual trip around the running schedule. Here's to a smooth registration!

I've never done a Run Disney event and am a NON runner/recreational walker/jogger. I am 99% sure I'm going to sing up for the 5k since our trip will overlap with the wine and dine this year. I am nervous about the pacing, the early morning, whether or not my family can see me finish (finding conflicting answers here) and about running alone. I'm anxious about characters in general and I don't wanna miss them, but also don't know how to interact when I'm by myself. And if I'm a slow runner the way it is, do I even have time to stop and see them? Ugh my brain is full of doubt but this has been a goal of mine for 7 trips now. Any advice?

I've never done a Run Disney event and am a NON runner/recreational walker/jogger. I am 99% sure I'm going to sing up for the 5k since our trip will overlap with the wine and dine this year. I am nervous about the pacing, the early morning, whether or not my family can see me finish (finding conflicting answers here) and about running alone. I'm anxious about characters in general and I don't wanna miss them, but also don't know how to interact when I'm by myself. And if I'm a slow runner the way it is, do I even have time to stop and see them? Ugh my brain is full of doubt but this has been a goal of mine for 7 trips now. Any advice?
The 5K isn't timed. They don't really sweep it and you can easily walk it. They will eventually push you to move along if you dawdle too much, but it's really very relaxed. On course characters don't do a ton of interaction, most people just get a picture and go. It's not nearly as awkward as you are probably thinking.

First off, it's Disney. Plan on relaxing and having fun.

To answer a few of your questions:
- The 5K is untimed therefore there are no concerns about pacing. Just keep moving forward and you'll be fine. The worst thing that might happen is that they will close the character lines.
- The character stops are quick in and outs - jump in, get your picture and move on. They are very different than in the park.
- You will be running with about 10,000+ of your closest friends. You will not be "alone." This group will probably do a meet-up in the morning so if you hang around long enough and get to know people here, you could get a chance to meet them in person.
- Yes, there is a place for family to watch you at the end. However, they will probably have to get up with you to come to the start.
- The races start at 5 a.m. I usually try to get there about 2 hours before race time (maybe a little less for the 5K). Most people make the early wake-up to be a lot bigger deal than it actually is.

First off, it's Disney. Plan on relaxing and having fun.

To answer a few of your questions:
- The 5K is untimed therefore there are no concerns about pacing. Just keep moving forward and you'll be fine. The worst thing that might happen is that they will close the character lines.
- The character stops are quick in and outs - jump in, get your picture and move on. They are very different than in the park.
- You will be running with about 10,000+ of your closest friends. You will not be "alone." This group will probably do a meet-up in the morning so if you hang around long enough and get to know people here, you could get a chance to meet them in person.
- Yes, there is a place for family to watch you at the end. However, they will probably have to get up with you to come to the start.
- The races start at 5 a.m. I usually try to get there about 2 hours before race time (maybe a little less for the 5K). Most people make the early wake-up to be a lot bigger deal than it actually is.
Thank you for responding so kindly 😭 I've ran a dozen or so 5ks just for local charities in my 20s but since having 2 kids I've definitely fell out of shape and have been aching to get back to running recreationally and thought this would be a great goal to push myself through the summer. That was all so helpful! I'm definitely going to sign up. Chances are, I won't fall asleep the night before and the 3 am wake up call with be no biggie 😂

The 5K isn't timed. They don't really sweep it and you can easily walk it. They will eventually push you to move along if you dawdle too much, but it's really very relaxed. On course characters don't do a ton of interaction, most people just get a picture and go. It's not nearly as awkward as you are probably thinking.
thank you so much! I kept seeing 16 min pacing rules and a few sites included that in the 5k but couldn't find any current information because the race isn't open yet!

Thank you for responding so kindly 😭 I've ran a dozen or so 5ks just for local charities in my 20s but since having 2 kids I've definitely fell out of shape and have been aching to get back to running recreationally and thought this would be a great goal to push myself through the summer. That was all so helpful! I'm definitely going to sign up. Chances are, I won't fall asleep the night before and the 3 am wake up call with be no biggie 😂

Always my pleasure to help out. Never hesitate to ask a question here - even if it seems like it should be the most obvious thing in the world.

One last piece of unsolicited advice - definitely take a look at Jeff Galloway's training plans on the runDisney website. Run/walk/run was life-changing for me. It's probably different than what you might be used to, but it works.

Always my pleasure to help out. Never hesitate to ask a question here - even if it seems like it should be the most obvious thing in the world.

One last piece of unsolicited advice - definitely take a look at Jeff Galloway's training plans on the runDisney website. Run/walk/run was life-changing for me. It's probably different than what you might be used to, but it works.
already downloaded his plan! haha I read through it so far and I am really excited to use it.

already downloaded his plan! haha I read through it so far and I am really excited to use it.
Second the recommendation to look into Galloway's method. Run/walk/run got this lifetime non-runner through the Dopey challenge earlier this month. I started with a single 5K at princess just before the pandemic that I walked in it's entirety.

So be careful, runDisney races are addicting. I started with that 5K, went to a 5K & 10K last year, and this year signed up for all the races of the Season, Wine & Dine, Marathon Weekend, Princess and Springtime...

Second the recommendation to look into Galloway's method. Run/walk/run got this lifetime non-runner through the Dopey challenge earlier this month. I started with a single 5K at princess just before the pandemic that I walked in it's entirety.

So be careful, runDisney races are addicting. I started with that 5K, went to a 5K & 10K last year, and this year signed up for all the races of the Season, Wine & Dine, Marathon Weekend, Princess and Springtime...
oh dear lol. we usually do a annual trip in the fall but the idea of running through Magic Kingdom has me teary eyed so we MIIIIIGHT have to postpone our 2024 a bit to catch the princess one

So be careful, runDisney races are addicting.

oh dear lol. we usually do a annual trip in the fall but the idea of running through Magic Kingdom has me teary eyed so we MIIIIIGHT

It is best thing EVER - that right hand turn onto Main Street, when you first see the castle is something pretty special. When I heard that you could run down Main Street and run through the castle, I was sold. And if I had to run 13 miles to do that (only the half and full marathons from Marathon Weekend and the half marathon for Princess go through the Magic Kingdom), well, whatever.

I also said "one and done" for that half marathon. I've now done 4 half marathons and finished my first full marathon as part of this year's Dopey. So yeah, they are addictive.

It is best thing EVER - that right hand turn onto Main Street, when you first see the castle is something pretty special. When I heard that you could run down Main Street and run through the castle, I was sold. And if I had to run 13 miles to do that (only the half and full marathons from Marathon Weekend and the half marathon for Princess go through the Magic Kingdom), well, whatever.

I also said "one and done" for that half marathon. I've now done 4 half marathons and finished my first full marathon as part of this year's Dopey. So yeah, they are addictive.
that is so cool! And quite the feat!

So excited you're going to do it! Another bit of advice -- read up on the pinned thread on registration. Be ready to register the moment it goes up, as the 5Ks tend to sell out FAST!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter