Winter Olympics

If so it won't be for the reason you think. It will be because that he was selected how he was. His finish makes him a controversial choice. Not his sexual orientation.

He finished off podium at Nationals & was given his Olympic spot by the committee.

Because they used body of work over the stupid standings at the Nationals. Adam was above anyone else in that case except Chen.

can't follow your link... takes me to click bait ads

no sure what the controversy is... the committee vote was 11-1 to place him on the team.... and seems that it was based off his strong record... so not sure why that is controversial. They (the committee) thought he has the best chance of doing well in the Olympics. That is why they are the committee... really doubt he is rich enough as a pro skater to bribe 11 officials into giving him the spot without any merit.

He's not a pro. He's an eligible elite skater aka amateur.

Don't the alternates also have to attend the Olympics? It must be heartbreaking to be there and not be able to compete.
No. For the US figure skating, the only alternates that I'm aware of that are there are the pairs.Ssince we only qualified one team and if they get hurt, there will need to be another team to fill in.

Anyone else up watching the Opening Ceremonies on the Livestream? There is absolutely no commentary at all. It's nice. The opening puppetry reminds me of something you might see at Animal Kingdom.

Anyone else up watching the Opening Ceremonies on the Livestream? There is absolutely no commentary at all. It's nice. The opening puppetry reminds me of something you might see at Animal Kingdom.

As the network with broadcasting rights here in Australia keeps advertising ‘for the first time ever the Winter Olympics are in OUR TIMEZONE’ so the opening ceremony is on at a semi-decent time here (started at 10pm). Unfortunately though the only event I’m interested in, the figure skating, is all timed for you guys so is on in the middle of the day when I’m at work!

So far the Opening Ceremony is okay, although not spectacular. The puppetry was cool though. Unfortunately we have annoying commentators.

Although I think from memory the winter OC’s usually aren’t as big as the summer ones are they? (they’re never in our Timezone so I don’t see much of them!).

I saw about the first 45 minutes and the last 20 minutes or so of the opening; thought it was a nice ceremony and the flame lighting was pretty cool.

I have a question about the opening ceremonies. It isn’t important but it kept bugging me. The 5 kids that were used throughout, 4 were wearing coats of the Olympic colors but the 5th was wearing beige instead of green. Is green an unlucky color or something?

It would have been nice to see the Israeli skater who is in the lead, and apparently skated cleanly to achieve his score.

I agree! That is my main complaint about the coverage we get on NBC. They only show Americans or a few other 'best' competitors. I like to see the others, the underdogs from countries who are not always the big winners. I don't have a lot of time to watch, perhaps I will see what is on the other NBC affiliated channels?

I agree! That is my main complaint about the coverage we get on NBC. They only show Americans or a few other 'best' competitors. I like to see the others, the underdogs from countries who are not always the big winners. I don't have a lot of time to watch, perhaps I will see what is on the other NBC affiliated channels?

That is why I am so grateful to live close to Canada. I only watch their coverage. They show live events when possible. And they show so many more events and athletes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter