Wk Of Oct 28 - WISH Walking/Running Club

Ran another two miles this morning. That puts me at 6.5 for the week so far. I know most of you do more than that in a day but we are taking baby steps here!

Mouse Skywalker - I would be interested in something for the Minnie. We are staying on our points at SSR for the first time that week, so rooms would be out. A dessert party would be great! And I might take advantage of a shuttle to the race if that comes to be.

Jodi - where in CT are you? We are in Granby (yeah!) Just moved to town this year.

Have a great day everyone!

Cindy - :yay: HI! Good to see you jumped over here, too. I'm doing Goofy, but not sure after that. Everytime I mention something past Jan. My DH looks like he's going to punch me in the head:rotfl2: . "Slow down, jeez". Although I've been eyeing the RNR in San Diego as well:rolleyes1

Sara in CT - I'm right in Middletown! Not too far from Granby! WTG on 6.5 this week so far. Baby steps are good:woohoo:

Dave - I'm really diggin your idea! I'll sign up on the other thread..let us know what Disney comes up with. Are you signed up for the MINNIE?? I miss my running pardner:guilty:

Tiger Lily - Thanks for the GOOFY tips, since this is your 3rd, whatever you're doing is obviously working:thumbsup2 . I'll check out that website!

Colleen - That looks like an awful lot of running:scared1: . Might have to re-think this Goofy thing next time.

Vic - :sick: Hope the snot stops soon!

Dave - I'm really diggin your idea! I'll sign up on the other thread..let us know what Disney comes up with. Are you signed up for the MINNIE?? I miss my running pardner:guilty:
Hi Jodi :wave2: - I am not signed up for the Minnie. If I organize the travel logisitics for the WISH team, I'll play tour guide, chauffeur everyone around, and be a cheerleader and gopher. I'm excited about this. I'll help get everyone where they need to go and organize some group events, but I won't be running this one.

Hey all... I got sick again but this time I think it was a touch of food poisening. Once I got it out of my system I am starting to feel better. I am now sure that starting my Airborne and getting my flu shot is essential. Oh that and my DD got "sick" at school and I had to go pick her up. I swear it's the kids that pass this junk on to me!!!!

My training is again spotty this week, but I am trying. Thankfully it is a cut back week for me and I only have to do 6, tho I may push it up to 7!!!!

Dave - I have Minnie on my calendar this year since it's the last one. I have to get a Minnie medal. DH and I may make it a fast weekend trip, but I am all for saving a buck with a group plan!!!!

Dave--So does that mean you are dissing the Pig for Minnie. :sad1: I meant to tell you yesterday that your dad is the cutest thing ever!!

Kristi--Yeah, I have a Saturn Ion and I'm not impressed with it at all. Actually we haven't had any problems in over a year (knock on wood), but we've lots of problems in the past--it was in the Saturn dealership 3 or 4 times because something was wrong with the transmission, it was idling too high, 3 times for the day time running lamps that were wired too strong and kept blowing the bulbs, once because the starter went out--the dealership's excuse was that it was too cold out and with the car being manufactured in TN, it's not used to Ohio's harsh winter weather. :confused3 Okay, 1. It was December and not that cold yet. 2. Our winter's aren't that bad, we're usually in the 20's and 30's. 3. We had the car for over a year at that point, if it was the cold weather, why didn't it have any problems the winter before? And the biggie was last summer when the timing chain snapped at 50,000 miles while I was driving to work on the highway in rush hour traffic. We bought the car new in Aug. 2004, so we are the only owners and Stephen and I are both anal about keeping it up to date with oil changes and maintenance etc. so it's not like the car hasn't been taken care of. Oh, and the interior stains SO bad and it's impossible to get stains out and while the trunk is big, the "mouth" is shaped weird, so it's hard getting things in the trunk. We had the Saturn SL2 and loved it, which is why we bought the Ion, but it was nothing like our other Saturn.

Dave--So does that mean you are dissing the Pig for Minnie. :sad1: I meant to tell you yesterday that your dad is the cutest thing ever!!
Hi Krista- I would hate to miss the Flying Pig, and if I don't do this Minnie thing I will be in Cincinnati with you and Steve again. But I had this idea this morning, and I think helping to organize some WISH team events for the Minnie might really help to get my foot in the door for organizing these types of trips. I can really see taking groups of Rochester students down to Disney for running events. That would be awesome!

Ahem, :confused3 yessss, you will!;)

Like Jen said, this is the last one and you need a Minnie to match your Mickey. This is where you should be nodding your head in agreement and saying, yes Colleen!
But if I run, I won't be able to serve all of you princesses in the manner to which you all deserve... [How's that for some buttering up?]

HEY, is anyone running NYC this weekend???

Dave - You HAVE to run Minnie! I promise to take a potty break this time:upsidedow

nepatsfan Bill: Your finish line photo is AWESOME! You really should be quite proud of your effort. I am very happy to see that someone else's face is as red and flushed as mine was! I thought I looked like a tomato in the photos of me running. At least the finish line photos look pretty good.

MSDave: and why won't you be running the Minnie? You should you know.

Jen in GA: talk about getting into your head--I'm right there with you! Running more than 13 for the first time was really psyching me out. Each LR now is longer than anything I've done before and it is really psyching me out. I'm getting too worked up about it but it's also a "red badge of courage." If I can do this, I can do anything. Right? Please tell me I'm right...please.

Gotta run. Have a lovely afternoon everyone!

I can only get between 200 to 300 miles depending on the shoe. Nike SHOX or Air Max is about 200-250 and the NB 1061s that I just got are 250 to 300. :confused3

Thanks Lisa!

You got me thinking about my sore feet. I knew I needed to replace my Nikes, but it hadn't really hit me until I read your post that the Nikes seemed to get lower mileage. Just got back from Fleet Feet, where they confirmed that they don't last as long. My Air Zooms had 350+, so I'm now the proud new owner of a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires!

Jackie

Martha- Yes, "red badge of courage." As in the bleeding I'll be doing on Sunday! :rotfl: At least there's some comfort in knowing we're all in it together! I guess the phrase "I share your pain" will be appropriate. :grouphug:

Dave- Why exactly can't you run in Minnie? You know everyone's going to be neurotic about getting to the race early, so you'd have plenty of time to park the shuttle bus and get in line! Then you just have to run really, really fast so you're the first WISHer to finish. I saw your race report- I think it's within reason. ;)

Jen in GA

Martha - I with you babe!!! I freak out constantly about the mileage over 13.1. I haven't passed that number yet, but next week I do. And then someone posted that we are 10 weeks out... :scared: The way I figure, if I can make every training run under the 16 minute per mile limit, I am good as gold. I haven't gone over that yet, but we'll see what happens when 20 miles hits me. I had someone tell me that 26 miles is the distance to the next town.... gee thanks for pointing that out!!!!

Jen and Jen: thank you so much! It's so nice to know I'm not the only one who has hit this mental barrier. I did 15 but each successive long run will be longer than I've ever run and, well, it's rather daunting. Those who have done it before understand but they aren't going through it now. Sigh. I may need a shoulder to lament on soon.

Hi Folks,

Jodi - I'm probably in the vast minority but I'm not planning on doing the back-to-back long runs training for Goofy. I figure it would be like training for a root canal. It's gonna hurt like heck once, why do it any more than I need to ;) . I'm just going to count backwards from my MCM training plan and pick it up at the right number of weeks out starting next week.

Cindyx2 - Welcome to mosh pit! I'm thinking about the National Marathon full but will wait until post-Goofy to decide if I'd like to take a little break.

Martha and Others breaking distance barriers - Scary, I know but enjoy the excitement and novelty of each new milestone. I think that doing those really long distances the 2nd or 3rd time is harder than the first.

Jackie - Congrats on the new shoes. A day late and a dollar short I know but... If I were you I'd use your new shoes for a few weeks and if you like them get another pair. Do a few runs and at least one long LR in each pair. Set the newest pair aside for the full, use the older pair for the half.

You really don't have to "break in" a pair that fits correctly. Heck, ask Chester. He bought a brand new pair at the MCM expo on Friday, walked around town a bit on Sat, and ran the full on Sunday. Brave man!

DW and I went check out a new running store in our area this AM. Unfortunately, they're not open yet and we ended up at a home decor store instead. OH THE HUMANITY!:scared1:

Well, I'm back on the horse after the MCM. Ran 3 on the TM last evening. Went out with DD11 and DD7 (on a bike) for 1.6 this afternoon, dropped them back at the house and ran 4 more at a pretty quick pace. I think I'll hold off on the LR this weekend but will get back to the regularly scheduled program (whatever that may be) next week.

Good luck and have fun to all those hitting the streets this weekend.

Martha and Others breaking distance barriers - Scary, I know but enjoy the excitement and novelty of each new milestone. I think that doing those really long distances the 2nd or 3rd time is harder than the first.

Martha, Jen, Mel, Vic and everyone else training for the first marathon. Mike is absolutely correct, completely enjoy each milestone in your training program. Everytime you conquer a new distance is such a thrill. Keep to the program, but listen to your bodies, if you need to skip a weekday run here and there it is not the end of the world. Stay healthy and get in the steps for the long runs and the marathon will be icing on the cake.

Good luck with the second half of the training program.

Sara! Uh, how do I train for GOOFY now, just coming off of a marathon on Sun? Where do I begin? What should my longest run be? I've read about the run Fri. double that mileage on Sat. thingie.. Is that my best bet?:confused3
I am only doing one long back to back run in my training for Goofy. I do several that are a day apart though: I run 13.1 on Thanksgiving and 18 that Saturday.

Mostly what I decided to do was to up all my short run mileage so that my over all mileage is higher. That and I am doing a double workout on Wednesdays. For instance next weeks runs look like this:
Sunday:rest/cross train depending on how my legs recover
Monday:rest
Tuesday:6 fast
Wednesday 10 in the am/5 in the pm
Thursday:8 hill workout
Friday: rest
Saturday:16 slow

Anyway, thats what I am doing, we will see if it works in January. Right now I am bouncing off the walls I am feeling so good.

Cecilia

Martha, Jen, Mel, Vic and everyone else training for the first marathon. Mike is absolutely correct, completely enjoy each milestone in your training program. Everytime you conquer a new distance is such a thrill.
I agree! Dh took me to Outback as a reward for each new milestone last year. This year I am lucky if he helps wash the dishes! I guess I won't get Outback again unless I get home with a Goofy medal.
Thankfully, I am mentoring a group of first time marathoners so I get to enjoy their thrills as they conquer each new distance. They still don't believe me when I tell them that its going to be fun, but they are starting to catch on.

Cecilia

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter