Wk Of Sept 29 - WISH Walking/Running Club

Oh, Stephanie -- sending a :hug: and :goodvibes to DH! So glad Emma isn't sick. As for your head cold, I was just in a group conversation where EVERYONE swore by Mucinex (I haven't tried it yet). I hope you won't push yourself to get that workout in if your body is telling you to rest! Have a great day!

I wanted to let Hockeychic know that I posted her picture on the Race report thread!:goodvibes

I am feeling much better, with just a few left over aches and pains. Much better than I was earlier in the week! :thumbsup2 I did walk 3 miles last night with dh, with some soreness especially in my right leg and foot. But I didn't even think I would be doing anything 3 days after the marathon, so I feel better about that!

I was even pondering doing pump class tonight with PaDisneyFan! We'll see how the work day goes before I decide.

Sending Cam PD:wizard: and hugs :grouphug: to feel better soon. I am sorry to hear about your back......lisen to your doctor, ok?

Hope everyone else is doing ok!

Beth

Cam, so sorry about your pains. It is so frustrating when a person can't find the cause of the ailments. Keep searching for answers. BTW, tell Howard to have a little extra turkey and stuffing at LTT for me! Sorry I am going to have to miss ToT, you all are going to have so much fun!

Stephanie, I am just so impressed with your marathon performance. Is there a race report somewhere? I am going to have to search for it.

Lily, good luck with your half marathon this weekend.:cool1:

Vic, hi there! Did I read you ran 5 miles straight? That is so awesome!! :woohoo: Take it easy, lots of stretching, us big folk, uh, I mean tall folk need to do a little extra stretching and warm up.

Jackie, sorry I missed it, why do you have a boot?

Jen, Yea for your running, keep it up girl!

I have one more 20 mile LR to get in before we start taping for MCM, but my knee has been acting up. As some of you know, I have seen a OS, a GP and a Chiro. I was in our local Fleetfeet store yesterday complaining about my lack of training and they informed me that I saw the wrong Ortho. So I got in to see the guy yesterday.

This guy sent me for Xrays of my knee. He asked me about my problem and asked who diagnosed the ITBS. Well if you look in my file, your associate did. He then checked out my knee, did a lot of poking and prodding, strength testing, and asked if certain spots caused pain when he pressed on them. I said no and he said, you definitely DON"T have ITBS. He then pressed on the outside top edge of my kneecap and I almost hit the roof. He then showed me the Xrays that showed my bone spurs. :idea: We talked about having them removed, which I probably will in a few months. Then I asked him the all important question, can I run a marathon in 24 days. He said absolutely as long as I don't mind the pain. He said I really won't do any damage in the next 3 weeks.

I know I will be able to run through the pain. I am just concerned about my cartilage in my knee. He reassured me it would be fine, especially since this has just crept up on me in the last month. He also offered a steroid shot in the knee a few days before the marathon. He said this would help keep down any inflammation during the race and make the race "more enjoyable'. So does anyone know about steroid injections?? I am really torn about this.

Mel, Lynne or anyone else have any experience with this?

Moral of the story, always look for a second, third or even fourth opinion. My GP told me to just quit running and just start running 5K's.:sad2: He wouldn't send me for X-rays First ortho misdiagnosed me with ITBS.:sad2: So I know I have bone spurs now, I am not 100% convinced I won't do damage to my cartilage in the next 3 weeks and not 100% sure there isn't more wrong with my knee.

On the positive side, I have been stretching and using the foam roller ($10 at runningwarehouse.com), which by the way is AWESOME:thumbsup2 , better than the stick in ALOT of ways.

Colleen

Thank you all for your encouragement (again!):grouphug:

Colleen-- I hope your knee will be ready for MCM. You deserve that race:wizard: But listen to your body and do what is right:hug: I'm so sorry your are going through this.

Queen Judy was trying for a PR in the ER? :confused3 :scared1:

Terri

Now there's one for the tag fairy!:rotfl2:

Injurywise - shhhh, but I think my feet have healed - do have minor back spasm today though. Am currently walking like Ozzy Osbourne with my knees slightly bent - it does this ocassionally though so I'm not concerned. It was the day it went completely and I couldn't walk that was fun - Tim came home to find me crawling across the carpet pushing a bottle of wine along the floor because I decided a drink might help relax the muscles but couldn't actually walk to the fridge!!!
Helen

Helen: Shhh congrats on feet... You make injury sound so hilarious!:lmao:

Cam-- Oh no, I hope the 3Vs get you back on your feet ASAP.:wizard: :hug:

BTW, a couple of people have PMed me regarding my cafepress Goofy designs disappearing. I was informed they were copyright infrigements.:mad: Well I've created a new one that just can't be a copyright infringement. It's not as cute, but it does have the Goofy colors, so if your interested... it's there!

Goofy gear
175650326v2_240x240_Front.jpg

Some shirts have this back:

175652712v4_240x240_Back_Color-AshGrey.jpg

Sunny

I know I will be able to run through the pain. I am just concerned about my cartilage in my knee. He reassured me it would be fine, especially since this has just crept up on me in the last month. He also offered a steroid shot in the knee a few days before the marathon. He said this would help keep down any inflammation during the race and make the race "more enjoyable'. So does anyone know about steroid injections?? I am really torn about this.

Colleen -- I really don't know anything about a steroid shot in the knee, but if you saw the bone spurs on the x-ray, then at least you can be pretty certain of the diagnosis. I had heel spurs and they looked like little coat hooks in profile on the x-ray. I had a cortisone shot in each foot and literally NEVER had another issue with the spurs. I am not sure if my experience is typical but the only reason I did the shot was because I coudl see the spur and understood the phsysiology of how the inflammation was happening and getting worse. I hope you find a good resolution. pixiedust: and :goodvibes

Hi, Sunny!

Thank you so much, everyone, for your good WISHes. Meant to mention, no improvement on the pain today, but I did take a pain pill last night and slept for the first time since Thursday. :woohoo: <----- OUCH!!!! :eek: It HURTS just to even think about doing this, much less seeing this guy do it! :lmao: <--- okay, that hurts too! :)

This has nothing to do with running/walking or training in any way, so I'm sorry, however: Our 20 year old micro-wave oven is starting to need replacing and I don't have a clue what to replace it with. I'm assuming the technology has advanced a bit over the last 20 years so what do y'all recommend?:teacher:

I had a nice relaxed walk on the WKU Hills, total time 59:02 in a misting rain.

Beth, Kim, Jeanne and Nancy, looking good ladies.:flower3: Princess powerprincess:

Have a great day y'all.

Dave:hippie:

Colleen--many hugs and PD going out to you!:grouphug: So glad you found another Dr. who gave you the answers you were needing--even though they weren't great answers. I have no experience with the steroid shots either--hopefully someone here will be able to offer some advice. Oh, and my "mini-race report" is on the thread for well wishes/race reports from the Sept. 29-30th weekend.

Colleen - no advice about steriod shots, just lots of :hug: and :wizard: . I totally understand what you mean about going to doctor after doctor to find the right answers. I've been there, done that, many times with my many chronic issues. :sad2:

Cam - keep resting, woman! :hug:

Sunny - so glad to see you post more often! :hug: You & I have to do lunch sometime soon, ok?

I was planning on doing my 4 mile LR today instead of tomorrow since I will be driving to PA after work. But, my knee has started acting up. I am torn. I don't know if I am bailing today since it sounds like a good excuse, or if I really should rest it again so that I don't risk injury this close to ToT.

eta: did anyone see John Bingham's new tech clothing line? I need some of that!
http://www.johnbingham.com/shoppenguin/index.html

Kristi - I have one of the JB tech shirts. I got it at the CDC race and I LOVE it.

Colleen - I really hope you can run the marathon. Do what you think is best, but like Cam said if you saw the spurs, then at least you know there is something there!!!

Sunny - It is so great seeing you pop in more often! You were missed!!! :grouphug:

I have nothing to report yet, I will be running tonight if all goes well. Time has not been on my side lately and it is actually a fight most nights to get my training in. QUESTION.... my plan now calls for training six days a week. This will not always work for me, I am lucky if I can get in 5. How many people really get in all their training according to the plan?

Kristi -- i also bought the short sleeve vneck white with blue trim tech shirt with the "miracle" saying on it and it is adorable and comfortable! I wanted the "I'm slow. Get over it!" one but it didn't have those blue panels down the side that make the shirt really cute.

Good afternoon WISHers!

I woke up at 3:31 this morning--OK the cat woke me at that time--and I'm running on empty now. I got up to go workout with my trainer and she had sympathy for me for about 5 seconds then proceeded to kick my butt. And I pay her to do that to me!! You'd think I'd learn!

Cam: so happy to hear you are following doctor's orders and resting and taking your meds. That's one day in a row--let's go for 2. I bet it did feel good to sleep!

Sunny: happy to see you around! Are you, too, obeying the doctor's orders?

Beth: glad to see you back at it with little residual effects!

Colleen: OUCH!! Don't know which is worse, bone spurs or shots right into the heel! :scared1:

littlegreydonkey: :lmao: :rotfl: I almost spit on my PC when I read your post!!! A woman after my own heart--I like the way you think!

WWDave: we bought a combination microwave and high intensity type of oven. You can do either in it. We mainly use it as a microwave but once in a while we cook bread or other foods in it like it's an oven. Rather slick...but a big price tag too.

Jen117: I'm following the Hal Higdon plan and it calls for 4 days of running and one of cross-training. I've been doing quite well with 5 days a week but I don't have little ones at home. I'd say do what you can and don't sweat the small stuff!

Well, I'm supposed to look busy since I'm at work, so I'll see you all later!

Thank you lady Dragon, Erica and I will check those out.

Word of wisdom: do not eat hot spicey food the day before a long run/walk.
Especially don't eat hot peppers or sauces the evening before a race.

Word of wisdom: do not eat hot spicey food the day before a long run/walk.
Especially don't eat hot peppers or sauces the evening before a race.

I suppose someome whose name is Windwalker would know all about that.....:rotfl: (Good grief, I've been hanging around Vic and Robert too long)

Just a quick post before work. I got in 3.32M this morning (8:21 pace). This will be the last run before my 18-M race this Sunday in Long Beach Island, NJ. I'm not too pysched about the LBI race yet. Probably because it's not a huge race and I have to drive 1-1/2 hours to get there. However, it should be nice to run along the ocean and will be a challenge to finish since I have not run more than 15 miles yet.

Also a little down about the Phillies but I sort of expected them to lose Game 2. I have a feeling that they will win both games in Colorado and play a Game 5 back home. We'll see.

Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to say hi and let you know that I am still training and planning on doing Goofy. Life has been trying to trip up my training but I am fighting back! I know the exact mileage around every football field and softball park in the city of Atlanta! It's amazing how many miles I can get in during a pregame warm-up. Gotta love that USTAF website!

Training is going very well, but cross-training is kicking my ____. I hate spin classes and all spin instructors. Sheer torture. As for weight training, I have cut out almost all lifting that uses my legs. I know, its a little controversial, but my legs were getting so tired during my runs that I had to change something.

I had a thought. Could we do a training update roll call? With everyone using different training plans and at different levels, I thought it might be interesting to compare how many miles a week everyone was doing and how they were feeling. Plus it would give slackers like me a chance to catch up with everyone on the boards. :rolleyes1

Cecilia
aka Cruella ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter