Wonder, Waves and Wishes. 18th October 2009. Remembering the waves!

DCLMan

DIS Veteran
This will be our first cruise! :cool1:

Anyone else planning this far in advance like me?

Hi all! Angela (matthewsmom1) here. My DS (10) & I will be cruising with you this fall (first DISNEY cruise!!) In preparing for the cruise, I did research and found something called a "Fish Extender" mentioned. After researching & learning about it, I definitely WANT to do it!! Since we don't have a FE group set up in our thread I volunteered to organize for those who want to participate. I'll try to answer all of your questions. If you want to participate please PM me the following: names of those cruising with you (and ages of kiddos), DIS name, email address, stateroom (if you know it yet).

1. What is a FE? A FE (Fish Extender) was created by one of our DISers (not sure who) so that fellow DISers on their cruise could leave little trinkets/gifts for each other. It's called a fish extender because it hangs off the FISH that is next to your door (where Disney will communicate with you). It 'extends' down off the FISH therefore received the name, Fish Extender.

2. Where do I get a Fish Extender? There are several options. If you are crafty you can sew one. If you don't have a sewing machine some DISers have used no-sew items that you can find in craft stores. You can purchase one off eBay. Use the key words: Disney Fish Extender & you should find some up for auction (they range from $10-40). PM me if you need help finding one on eBay & I can help you. You can also get creative & use bags, etc. for them (check out this link, post #611: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....219607&page=41) In fact, that entire thread has a TON of information about & pictures of Fish Extenders made and/or purchased by DISers.

Things to keep in mind if you create one: The FEs should be no more than 8" wide so that they do not hang out into the hallway. Here are some instructions for sewing FEs:

A site with instructions to sew one: http://www.sewing.org/html/starslockerpocket.html

elderfam's instructions:

Home made using Iron on transfer paper that prints on our home ink jet printer.
You need 1/4 yard of fabric, iron interfacing, wide double fold bias tape, and a 3/8" dowel 8" long.

Pockets are 11" X 5 1/2"
Back is 32" X 8"

Cut out backing and pockets then iron on interfacing.
Sew bias tape on top of pocket
pleat once on each side and pin bottom of pocket so that it is 8" wide.
baste, then pin bias tape on bottom and sew on
Pin pockets on backing and sew bottom of pocket to backing
Pin and baste around entire outside of project.
Pin then sew bias tape around outside edge of whole fish extender
fold top over leaving room for you dowel at top and sew along the inside of bias tape down each side to secure.

3. What do I bring as a gift/what will I be getting? That's the beauty. You can make your FE 'gifts' as inexpensive or extravagant as you wish. Ideally, we will get a FE group of around 20ish cabins. Personally, I plan to give not only my gifts, but little baggies of candy on a different day too. I know my little one will really enjoy getting lots of 'gifts'.

FE gift ideas:
magnets (to decorate your door & then as a souvenier)
bracelets (some have MADE them, some have bought personalized 'rubber' ones)
frames
keychains
ornaments
mini scrap/brag books that they have made
lanyards
pins
candy
representative things from your home state/country
plastic zip ties to keep your FE from 'walking off'
must-haves misc baggie (Tylenol, Motion Sickness pills, zip ties, safety pins, paper clips, etc.)
pens (again, could do Disney or personalized for the cruise)
the possibilities are endless.......

4. How do I give out my gifts? Well, I haven't quite figured out the logistics yet, so I'm open to suggestions.

I think I covered everything, but feel free to PM me with more questions.

Angela (matthewsmom1)

Roll call of Dis crew members

DCLMan. Dominic, Katherine, Isaac (12) and Eloise (9) UK, Fist cruise.

TeamTinkerbell. Brenda (39) and Haley (10) Kentucky, First cruise.

Zach's Mom. Jody, DH -Travis, DS- Zach (11) Mom-Carol, Dad-Mike, Grandma-Arlena, Sister-Heather

A Fat English Gent. (no further info yet)

2002Disneybride. (no further info yet)

tinkerbellmom1. Sheri.

Twinprincesses. Married to Devon, twin daughters 1-15-03, Allison and Zoe.

Smiley22. (Nofurther info yet)

quiltymom. Jan, John. Travis and Charlotte - who will be 11 and 9.

TartanTinker. Judith, DH David, Meghan 12, Holly 10, Cerys 7 our first cruise

matthewsmom1. Angela, Matthew 10.

hlkeck. Brian 36, Heather36, DD7 and DS5.

Belle10 Virginia (the mom) Dean (the dad) Rachelle (who will turn 21 on the boat) Dee (17)

We are right there with you for planning early. This is my family's first cruise also.

Jody

Hello!

I just booked this cruise for my family of 4! :banana: This will be our 4th Disney cruise and our family is really excited!

We've done the 4 nighter before and had so much fun, we thought we'd try it again!

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Hey folks!!! Just got off my 7 night Magic and while on there we booked the 4 night on the wonder for 10/18/2009. We are doing some days at WDW as well!!

We need a theme for our cruise... Lets come up with some ideas...

Sailing with a ship of fools???
4 nights of being Goofy???
Ship Shape on the Wonder

Ship Shape on the Wonder

Welcome!

What cruise did you do, Eastern or Western? How was it? Our family hasn't sailed in October before so I'm wondering what the weather was like and how warm the water was!

I like the 4 nights of being Goofy! Do you know how to start a poll?

I was just throwing some names out there so any ideas bring it on.

WE did the 7 night western and it was wonderful. We had rain 1 day in Cozumel so that shot the entire day pretty much. The water temp was great though and I cannot wait to do it all over again.

We just returned from an amazing cruise!!! We had such a good time on our first cruise we booking while onboard. October weather was great. Water was warm (warmer than at the WDW resort we stayed at after the cruise)
At little background on my DH and myself. We have visited WDW over 25 times as a family. This last cruise was our first cruise and first vacation EVER without children. The last child left for college and I think my DH wanted to save me from slipping into a depression so we booked a cruise.
We even did the fish extender exchange. That was so much fun..so for those that think it is only for children ..wrong. (but I guess I am a child at heart anyway.)

Well just wanted to say hello to everyone and say that I look forward to chatting with everyone in the months to follow. Never too early to start planning. We booked in May for the last October cruise and I felt rushed at the end. I am by far not an expert on DCL but after just coming home I would be happy to answer any questions from those on this meet thread that has never gone.

The countdown begins......:yay: :yay: :yay:

We just returned from an amazing cruise!!! We had such a good time on our first cruise we booking while onboard. October weather was great. Water was warm (warmer than at the WDW resort we stayed at after the cruise)
At little background on my DH and myself. We have visited WDW over 25 times as a family. This last cruise was our first cruise and first vacation EVER without children. The last child left for college and I think my DH wanted to save me from slipping into a depression so we booked a cruise.
We even did the fish extender exchange. That was so much fun..so for those that think it is only for children ..wrong. (but I guess I am a child at heart anyway.)

Well just wanted to say hello to everyone and say that I look forward to chatting with everyone in the months to follow. Never too early to start planning. We booked in May for the last October cruise and I felt rushed at the end. I am by far not an expert on DCL but after just coming home I would be happy to answer any questions from those on this meet thread that has never gone.

The countdown begins......:yay: :yay: :yay:

Welcome and welcome home!! I'd love to hear more! What did you like best and what fun things did you do? We're looking forward to going back to the Atlantis!

I would really like to do the Fish Extender thing, too. I'm just going to have to figure out how to be creative! Have you seen some of those gifts?:eek:

Thank you for the welcome. In Nassau, we just walked the area close to the port and then took a taxi to Atlantis to look around. It was beautiful.We didnt want to do the water park at Atlantis so we were back at the ship early. I cant say I was really impressed with Nassau. I think next time we will either stay on ship and do some Spa treatments( which we didnt have time for this trip) or we will do the dolphin excursion. Castaway Cay is pure paradise!!!! I would do a whole trip of only going there. We did the treasure hunt and found the treasure even though I thought I would have to rent a child for one of the clues :lmao: then we floated around the adult beach and then rented a water bike and took some great pictures of the Flying Dutchman up close and personal.

We had a small group of people for the FE but it was very fun and yes the gifts were amazing. I enjoyed coming up with something different for the exchanges. I made CD's and post it note holders with a picture of the Wonder. I love to do crafty things and am already thinking for next time.

Hey folks!!! Just got off my 7 night Magic and while on there we booked the 4 night on the wonder for 10/18/2009. We are doing some days at WDW as well!!

So are we. A total of 16 nights including the cruise.

Ship Shape on the Wonder

Four days of fun and food?

Hi Everyone!!!

I'm not very good at this so please be patient with me. I leave the chatting to my husband but he rolls his eyes whenever I bring up the cruise and says what ever you want is fine. This is mine and DS (10) 1st cruise but DH cruised with his parents when he was DS age.

To give you a little back ground on our family, it will be myself, DH and DS (10), My parents, My grandma, My sister and my other sister and her DH, DS (7) DS (5) and DD (4 months).

My mom and I have been talking about the fish extenders but she keeps saying that she isn't going to think about the cruise until after the holidays.

Jody

Hi Everyone!!!

I'm not very good at this so please be patient with me. I leave the chatting to my husband but he rolls his eyes whenever I bring up the cruise and says what ever you want is fine. This is mine and DS (10) 1st cruise but DH cruised with his parents when he was DS age.

To give you a little back ground on our family, it will be myself, DH and DS (10), My parents, My grandma, My sister and my other sister and her DH, DS (7) DS (5) and DD (4 months).

My mom and I have been talking about the fish extenders but she keeps saying that she isn't going to think about the cruise until after the holidays.

Jody

Hi Jody!

How exciting for you and your family! Your first cruise! How fun to do it with so much of your family!

I was just e-mailing a lady who is going to make my Fish Extender. I saw a really cute one on these boards and I want her to see if she can match it pretty closely. But I also want to be able to keep it in our den and use it after our cruises.

I'm an obsessive planner! I appreciate both your mom and your hubby's points of view. :lmao: I just am not that mellow! I look forward to all of our cruises this way!

I hope you all enjoyed your Halloween!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter