Wonderful Panama Canal Sept 2014

Repost in the new thread.

Wow what great ideas!!! I would love to do a photo walk and maybe get some pointers.
Chocolate tasting sounds yummy!::yes::

Do me a favor fill out the form https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1mKORjZhrLIw0KFSvO_ddhegzwLlfW229MJ1-D4fqkU4/viewform this way I can easily keep track and send out updates to those that want to join on the photowalk.

DH is a photog...Med photo tech in the Navy and very passionate about his photography. He's teaching me. He was saying the morning of the canal crossing would be an awesome time to do one of those...and the last lock is after dark...we got up at 4 AM on our NYC cruise to nowhere to get shots sailing back into NYC and we got some GREAT shots on that trip.
Unfortunately, my iMac has had a stroke or something, :badpc: (no worries all photos are on a separate hd) but they are not attached to my laptop nor do I have a photobucket acct.
I'm in for any photo opportunities.....as I know DH will be as well!!!

Do me a favor fill out the form https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1mKORjZhrLIw0KFSvO_ddhegzwLlfW229MJ1-D4fqkU4/viewform this way I can easily keep track and send out updates to those that want to join on the photowalk.

A photo walk could be fun, especially while going through the locks. With a 1 year old though, it might be kind of hard to arrange if it's too early or too late. We'd love to try and attend though!

If you can't join us on the date and times set well no harm done.

In 2008, we were at the head of the canal by 6:30 because they wanted to be pretty close to first if not first in line and we started through the canal around 8 or 8:30 in the morning. We exited the last lock after sunset, probably 7:30 -7:45. I do not it was almost dark by then!!!

Cheers.. That is great info. Appreciate the info.

Just wanted to quickly pop in to say hi to everyone.:wave2: and get established on the new thread. Our son is doing pretty good. He's rebounding well - (oh to be young again!!!) Thank you to everyone for all of your wonderful thoughts, we do appreciate them all.

As I look around, I like what you have done to the new digs Beverly!!! GREAT JOB!!! Thanks Beverly for taking over our thread in such a short notice. I can't thank you enough. And thank you for finding out about the Palo Brunch. The Cognac and Whiskey tasting looks like good ones for DW and I. If we lean against one another, I'm sure we'll be able to walk outa there in a fairly straight line!!!:cool1::rotfl2: The poll sounds like a good idea to me. I'll be sure to check back soon to check that out.

Tell your DH that I will be signing up for the photo walking tour. Might not be today, but I will get my name on the sign up list.

Sign up for the photo walk when you get time =) It's not like it's a big rush, can't set dates until we know more exactly cruise scheduled events. Than I will try to work with those dates. But a sunrise walk will probably happen for the AM we get to the PC, just hope it will be really early in the AM as it was in 2008.

Glad to hear things with son is going well.

I done both the Whisky and Cognac (not private) tastings, what the provide will depend a lot of who do the class. One Whisky class was very disappointing but the other Whisky class I did was very good with some pretty good to decent Whiskys. The good thing there are no uhm less tasty North American Cognac knockoff attempts like there is in the Whisky world. (Yes I'm a big Whisky snob).

Cheers.. That is great info. Appreciate the info.

I will, should DH and sign up separately or together? I guess with the questions, it should be separate as our skills are much different as is our cameras. ;)

I am also going to dig out my Navigators and get you the actual times and such!! I do remember the time out, we were sitting in Sessions when the pilot scraped us along the side of the last lock right below the porthole I was sitting by! :eek:

OH MY!!!!! :eek:

I am a horrible accident prone klutz. When I came back from this last cruise, I drove myself at 0145 to the ER, and everyone was like "wait I thought you were on vacation" then I had to show what I did on vacation. Now my friends are like "wait are you sure you want to go back on a boat?" Um yeah...

(And I'm a klutz without drinking. I've walked into the hitch on the back of my car- full knee into the ball. Fell down stairs. Grace isn't my name.... :hyper: )

We did several of the tastings on the last cruise. Although the CM wasn't too terribly knowledgeable about the chocolate (agree with Padalyn), the chocolate that they served was very good (yum!) and although I am not a big wine fan, pairings with the chocolate were really excellent. Keep in mind I am not a wine snob, but I would love to do the chocolate tasting again and if I we can't get enough together for a private session, we will certainly consider signing up for the public one........

Not too sure about the tequila one, though - I love tequila (I'm a tequila snob!) but drinking that much in the course of an hour - ya know what they say - one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor? Yeah, that about covers it - hahahah!

Guess I will go about setting up a poll on Google - I will put the info I got on the first post along with a link to the pole......then we'll go from there - we still have tons of time, so no worries!

I will, should DH and sign up separately or together? I guess with the questions, it should be separate as our skills are much different as is our cameras. ;)

I am also going to dig out my Navigators and get you the actual times and such!! I do remember the time out, we were sitting in Sessions when the pilot scraped us along the side of the last lock right below the porthole I was sitting by! :eek:

It's up to you guys, mostly want to have a way to contact people that want to join (send out e-mail announcement with dates, reminders or be able to call stateroom for any changes in plans) The skill levels and camera equipment is just for my own interest to see what people might be bringing and what skill level they think they are.

Anyone that want even if they did not sign up are still welcome to join so if you run into someone on the cruise that might be interested in joining in let them know when and where and bring them them along.

We did several of the tastings on the last cruise. Although the CM wasn't too terribly knowledgeable about the chocolate (agree with Padalyn), the chocolate that they served was very good (yum!) and although I am not a big wine fan, pairings with the chocolate were really excellent. Keep in mind I am not a wine snob, but I would love to do the chocolate tasting again and if I we can't get enough together for a private session, we will certainly consider signing up for the public one........

Not too sure about the tequila one, though - I love tequila (I'm a tequila snob!) but drinking that much in the course of an hour - ya know what they say - one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor? Yeah, that about covers it - hahahah!

Guess I will go about setting up a poll on Google - I will put the info I got on the first post along with a link to the pole......then we'll go from there - we still have tons of time, so no worries!

Uhm. I think I got as toasted on the Chocolate tasting as I gotten on the Tequila tasting (might have to do with the numerous extra whisky's I ended up with from others at the table we sat at....)

Think no matter what tasting you end up going to, you'll end up fairly plastered after that one hour... Martini tasting on Fantasy comes to mind (mental note to self: once tasting is done, leave the bar without ordering another drink.....)

If you don't mind me asking (and if we are going vacationing together you will learn I'm incredibly nosey. Bad trait.) what happened to your son? Is he ok

I think being nosey like this comes from being a nurse because I have been wondering the same thing :rolleyes1, and I don't think it's that bad of a trait, especially in our profession.

Tastings:
Champagne Tasting - $30.00
Martini Tasting - $18.00
Beer Tasting - $15.00
Mixology Tasting - $15.00
Tequila & Margarita Tasting - $15.00
Cognac Tasting - $20.00
Whiskey Tasting - $20.00
Wine Tasting: $15.00
“New” Chocolate Tasting - $30.00
Minimum on the tastings is 25 ppl, max of 40 people.......

Hmm lets see, I'm in for the champagne tasting, mixology tasting, tequila and margarita tasting, wine tasting and chocolate tasting. That's only $105 :thumbsup2. I may be down for the cognac tasting too but I've never had any and I'm not sure that I would like it, so I'm not 100% certain that I want to drop $20 on that one. :confused3 Can anyone give me an idea of what it tastes like.

im thinking of going on this cruise i only did the dream last year but it will depend on how much this years vacation will be costing me

I think you'll find the rates for this cruise to be relatively reasonable. Hope you'll decide to join us. Remember, you only live once!

I think being nosey like this comes from being a nurse because I have been wondering the same thing :rolleyes1, and I don't think it's that bad of a trait, especially in our profession.

Oh we joke because I have no sense of smell so I'm the nosiest person on the planet. I'm mentally going through what could be wrong. I'm thinking "broken leg" or "broken heart with a bad icky divorce" and maybe a little Miranda Lambert type revenge (which leads to a broken leg.).

Sign up for the photo walk when you get time =) It's not like it's a big rush, can't set dates until we know more exactly cruise scheduled events. Than I will try to work with those dates. But a sunrise walk will probably happen for the AM we get to the PC, just hope it will be really early in the AM as it was in 2008.

OK, I signed us up and did so separately because our skill levels are so different. DH made me list him as passionate prosumer, but I think he should be professional :confused3....he went to Navy Med-photo school back in 1978---7 months of intensive photo training. But whatever. Plus he's bringing some of his lenses and I am only bringing one (I'll use his if necessary! ;) )

BUT I found my Navigators from our EBPC in 2008.
We went through the canal on August 25, so the sunset/sunrise times will be a little different....

Tentative timeframes were:

Sunrise was at 5:54 AM
Sunset was 6:14 PM

Passing under the Bridge of the Americas: 7AM

Arrive Miraflores Locks (first lock) 8:40 AM

Depart Gatun Locks (last lock) 5:20 PM

Now I know we left that last lock later than 5:20 because we were in Sessions at the time (we went through on the Magic) for our usual before dinner drink and dinner was at 8:30, so I'm thinking it was closer to 7 when we scraped the side leaving the lock. I do know it was dark.

Hope this helps with your planning!!!

I think you'll find the rates for this cruise to be relatively reasonable. Hope you'll decide to join us. Remember, you only live once!

yes i think they are but i pay extra due to being solo now just hope i also can take the time off then because september is becoming the new hotspot at my job

yes i think they are but i pay extra due to being solo now just hope i also can take the time off then because september is becoming the new hotspot at my job

What do you do? We noticed that a lot of people want surgery post summer vacation and pre-holidays. That said my company has a rule that if you have the PTO you can go.

Tastings:
Champagne Tasting - $30.00
Martini Tasting - $18.00
Beer Tasting - $15.00
Mixology Tasting - $15.00
Tequila & Margarita Tasting - $15.00
Cognac Tasting - $20.00
Whiskey Tasting - $20.00
Wine Tasting: $15.00
“New” Chocolate Tasting - $30.00
Minimum on the tastings is 25 ppl, max of 40 people.......

Hmm lets see, I'm in for the champagne tasting, mixology tasting, tequila and margarita tasting, wine tasting and chocolate tasting. That's only $105 :thumbsup2. I may be down for the cognac tasting too but I've never had any and I'm not sure that I would like it, so I'm not 100% certain that I want to drop $20 on that one. :confused3 Can anyone give me an idea of what it tastes like.
Cognac is one of the harsh alcohols...my hunny was decidedly unimpressed. Think of whisky, with a bit of grain tossed in as a mixer...that should give you the impression. If you like very strong tastes you will like it. Personally I like the flavor, but the burn...not so much.

I suggest you stop at a local liquor store, spend a couple of dollars and buy a mini of VSOP Remy Martin for a general flavor.

Here is some info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognac

Cayla

If you don't mind me asking (and if we are going vacationing together you will learn I'm incredibly nosey. Bad trait.) what happened to your son? Is he okay?

Hi Ho all!!! Hope everyone is doing well. :thumbsup2

No I don't mind. DS was in an auto accident. Got banged up pretty good. I'm sure as ya'll know, whenever you hear some not so good news, you think the worse. Seems to be human nature. Well, that's what DW and I did. But he is fine and doing well. Just needs some help around the house while he heals. He is a chip off the ol' block, (me, in case you didn't know who I was talking about), and whines and cries around when he wants someone to do something for him. I taught grasshopper well.

Well, I'm late, I'm late, for a pretty important date. No time to say hello, good-by, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late. Talk to ya'll again soon.:woohoo:

No I don't mind. DS was in an auto accident. Got banged up pretty good. I'm sure as ya'll know, whenever you hear some not so good news, you think the worse. Seems to be human nature. Well, that's what DW and I did. But he is fine and doing well. Just needs some help around the house while he heals. He is a chip off the ol' block, (me, in case you didn't know who I was talking about), and whines and cries around when he wants someone to do something for him. I taught grasshopper well.

Well, I'm late, I'm late, for a pretty important date. No time to say hello, good-by, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late. Talk to ya'll again soon.:woohoo:

So glad he's healing well and doing well (except when someone is around) :rolleyes1

Get well fast pixiedust:

Oh yay! I'm glad everything is okay! Good thoughts heading your way and your son's way.

I am so glad to hear that he is doing well. I hope that he has a quick and complete recovery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter