Working More Hours

Joe Billi

Earning My Ears
I'm about to check in soon(May 19th) and was wondering about hours. I have read that you either have slow weeks or crazy weeks, but is there any way to work 35-40+ hours during these "slow" times? I would like to be able to work enough to make my free time enjoyable.

I always worked 40 hr weeks in my position. My friend used to work extra hours in parade control or at cosmic rays. You just have to ask :)

It truly depends on your location and your role.

I worked at one of the resorts and was always scheduled at least 5 days (40hrs). Even during "slow" times. Unless I had specifically requested 3+ days off in a week, I never once was scheduled less than 5 days/40hrs.
If we were short staffed or we had Groups checking in, I'd automatically get scheduled a 6th day.

I could also pretty easily pick up OT (either extra hours the same day or picking up an extra day) quite easily if I wanted to. I tended to pick up as many hours as possible if I didn't have plans b/c the OT pay was quite nice, especially when my student loan payments came due.

My roommates all worked at MK and were all scheduled at least 40hrs as well - since MK is quite busy.

I had friends who's roommates, however, were lucky to get 3 days some weeks. If they wanted extra hours, they'd pick up PAC shifts, look online for extra hours, or see if someone was willing to give away a shift.

Again, it all depends on your role and location.

I'm about to check in soon(May 19th) and was wondering about hours. I have read that you either have slow weeks or crazy weeks, but is there any way to work 35-40+ hours during these "slow" times? I would like to be able to work enough to make my free time enjoyable.

You want lots of hours? Work at the Emporium. During my CP the weeks leading up to x-mas, new years etc.. we were all scheduled in excess of 60+ hours. A friend of mine actually had 86 hours before she gave away one shift. During my program there was only the rare week where I would get fewer than 40 hours.

Make sure you're always looking on the Hub for extra hours in your role or any untrained role like PAC or a QS location. Another good source of hours is the group of people you'll be working with. there is almost always someone looking to give away or trade shifts.

I worked backlands merchandise at Hollywood Studios. I averaged about 32-35 hours a week, although I traded some longer shifts off for shorter ones. The first week I had 56 hours, and about the same the last two weeks of my program. Holiday season I had 40+ hours.

You can pick up shifts in merchandise anywhere (except resorts) to get more hours as long as you don't go over 40 hours a week.

You want lots of hours? Work at the Emporium. During my CP the weeks leading up to x-mas, new years etc.. we were all scheduled in excess of 60+ hours. A friend of mine actually had 86 hours before she gave away one shift. During my program there was only the rare week where I would get fewer than 40 hours.

Make sure you're always looking on the Hub for extra hours in your role or any untrained role like PAC or a QS location. Another good source of hours is the group of people you'll be working with. there is almost always someone looking to give away or trade shifts.

That's just the holiday season in general, honestly. I think unless you work at AK you're going to get crazy hours during the winter. Hollywood Studios went from closing at like 8PM to closing at 1AM and often I'd be scheduled a full shift at my attraction and then be sent to Spectacle of the Dancing Lights until park close. I think I had like 70 hours New Years week, so we've all been there :p

Although I do have to give you mad props for working until like 3am or whatever, that's the worst.

Hollywood Studios went from closing at like 8PM to closing at 1AM and often I'd be scheduled a full shift at my attraction and then be sent to Spectacle of the Dancing Lights until park close.

Or, if you were there when I was a coordinator there, it was more like "be scheduled a 6.5 hour shift, get begged to extend to a full shift, then get begged again to extend for SODL"

(Oddly enough, the longest shifts I've worked were all at Studios, not when I worked at MK ... I think my record was 85 hours in a week ... although one of my friends hit 102 one week ... I also think my other record was 23 days in a row)

Or, if you were there when I was a coordinator there, it was more like "be scheduled a 6.5 hour shift, get begged to extend to a full shift, then get begged again to extend for SODL"

Ha, yeah, but then during SODL I'd turn right back around and ask for an ER. Especially if I got sent to San Fran :sad:

Do they only lifeguard resorts or do they also do the water parks? What kind of hours do they generally have here? I've seen a lot about different roles but not a lot about the lifeguards.

I work at Blizzard last summer and since there weren't many of us, CP's and ICP's always closed and worked at least 40 hours a week. Normally from 12 - 9pm.

Do they only lifeguard resorts or do they also do the water parks? What kind of hours do they generally have here? I've seen a lot about different roles but not a lot about the lifeguards.

CP and ICP lifeguards worked at Blizzard as well and they generally got out about 9pm ish along with us Quick Service closers if I remember rightly :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter