• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you shorten your WDW trip for a retirement party?

No. If the trip hadn't been planned, I might have arranged it around the party. But I wouldn't change the trip once already booked for something scheduled later.

A good friend of 25+ years is reaching one of life's milestones. You should attend the celebration.

Your hotel is easily changed.
Your airfare can be altered.
I don't have the impression this is your only-ever trip to Disney.

This would make a difference: How big is this party? In a group of a dozen people, your absence would be more pronounced.

Options;
Go to Disney a day earlier.
Shorten the vacation by a day.
Change the whole trip to next month.
You know these people well -- any chance they'd postpone the party a week?

Off-topic thought: This is a good example of why date-specific tickets are a horrible idea. Are you listening, Disney?

Last edited:
If it's just returning home a day earlier than planned and the logistics of changing are easy, sure, I'd probably go. But I wouldn't rearrange a trip if the party was in the middle of the vacation.

I think my cousin is still a bit peeved at me because I RSVP'd no to her wedding 25 years ago. The wedding was a few days after the start of a pre-booked vacation. We still sent a nice gift.

Personally, I would not short myself a trip-vacation day to attend someone's party planned after my trip. If I could easily alter the vacation to add a day at the beginning, and leave a day early, I MIGHT do that, as long as I could be just as happy with changing any plans that are already scheduled, meals, fast passes, etc. But I would have no problem rsvping regrets due to previously planned vacation travel and offering to make some personal plans to celebrate with them for a dinner out later when you are back. I can't imagine anyone not understanding and being totally fine with that. And you'll even get to spend more time together anyway, because big parties are not an easy place to get quality time in anyway. This is just my opinion. Parties are more important to some people than others. If you really want to attend the party more than your last vacation day, by all means, go for it, you should do what you are most happy and comfortable with.

@roliepolieoliefan Where are you at with the decision? Has anything that's been said swayed your thinking? We're curious...:hyper2:

Hi
Im sorry I havent been back , between kids work and getting ready for the trip , its been nuts

Thx for all the replies. We couldnt add on a day at the beginning because we are going to Key West first for 3 days
We decided to come home a day early
I was able to drop the day at the Boardwalk so we actually saved a significant amount of money lol
i was also able to change the flight from sunday to saturday using less points

Im comfortable with the decision
Many old friends will be at the party we dont see that often
My husband and I are happy to celebrate with them
We have known them through births of our children, graduation , their oldest just got married last summer so it just seems like we need to be there for retirement too, even though im green with envy lol

Thx again

Hi
Im sorry I havent been back , between kids work and getting ready for the trip , its been nuts

Thx for all the replies. We couldnt add on a day at the beginning because we are going to Key West first for 3 days
We decided to come home a day early
I was able to drop the day at the Boardwalk so we actually saved a significant amount of money lol
i was also able to change the flight from sunday to saturday using less points

Im comfortable with the decision
Many old friends will be at the party we dont see that often
My husband and I are happy to celebrate with them
We have known them through births of our children, graduation , their oldest just got married last summer so it just seems like we need to be there for retirement too, even though im green with envy lol

Thx again
Thanks for the update - I'm sure you won't regret your decision for a minute. Have a great time on your holiday and best wishes to your friend on his special occasion. :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter