• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Yet another super annoying GAD issue!

Renosiris

Earning My Ears
Apologies in advance for being another one of "those people". I want to be sure that I have this clear.

I'm going to Disney in November. I have the package booked. I added a one day ticket for the meal plan because all of the party members have different ticket needs. I had thought that GAD tickets were much simpler and now I see that it has the restriction about multi ticket use and what not (which I think is stupid and deceptive).

So..I'm reading that basically I need to take my GAD voucher, go to the park, use the ticket. At the end of the day go back to the park entrance (or resort) and upgrade the ticket because I need four days. Then I just forget that I already have a one day ticket and use it on another trip. I will have to get a paper ticket, because they will apply it to my room key and I don't want that.

However, is that one day ticket that I already have no expiry? I went on the Disney site to check how the cost would change on our one day tickets make it no expiry and it wouldn't let me check off that box. If not, how much is a one day non expiry. I pay for my whole vacation (minus souveniers) upfront with money I've saved over the last two years - no credit! I want to make sure that I have put aside anything I need for additional costs regard tickets now.

Thanks! Hope this makes sense.

Apologies in advance for being another one of "those people". I want to be sure that I have this clear.

I'm going to Disney in November. I have the package booked. I added a one day ticket for the meal plan because all of the party members have different ticket needs. I had thought that GAD tickets were much simpler and now I see that it has the restriction about multi ticket use and what not (which I think is stupid and deceptive).

The program is to give you a free day at a Disney theme park. But it is not very cost effective for those who are going for multiple days and already have their tickets to get a free day since on any ticket more than 4 days additional days only cost $3. So they give those who already have multi-day tickets other options to make their volunteering worth more than $3 - if they want. You can still use the free 1-day ticket if you want.

They don't offer the option to people holding 1-day tickets because an unused ticket never expires (answering your other question below) so you cannot lose the value of that ticket (assuming you will make another trip in the future where you can use that ticket).

Basically you are running into semi-contradictory programs...you want the meal plan, which requires (unless you are a DVC member or AP holder) that you book a package that includes tickets, and you are taking part in the GAD program which gives you a free day, which you can upgrade to whatever ticket you need. So you end up with two tickets.

I really don't get the "deceptive" comment. It is all spelled out. It seems you want to take monetary advantage of the GAD ticket, and the multi-day ticket requirement has zero to do with that...

So..I'm reading that basically I need to take my GAD voucher, go to the park, use the ticket. At the end of the day go back to the park entrance (or resort) and upgrade the ticket because I need four days. Then I just forget that I already have a one day ticket and use it on another trip. I will have to get a paper ticket, because they will apply it to my room key and I don't want that.

You don't HAVE to get it separated...you can keep the KTTW card and bring it with you on a future trip. Some find it less confusing to get it separated, however. You do have to make absolutely sure you never run the KTTW card through the turnstile on this trip...

However, is that one day ticket that I already have no expiry? I went on the Disney site to check how the cost would change on our one day tickets make it no expiry and it wouldn't let me check off that box. If not, how much is a one day non expiry. I pay for my whole vacation (minus souveniers) upfront with money I've saved over the last two years - no credit! I want to make sure that I have put aside anything I need for additional costs regard tickets now.

Thanks! Hope this makes sense.

As mentioned before, an unused ticket cannot expire. "No Expiration" is an option to prevent unused days on a used ticket from expiring (which normally happens beyond the 14th day after you first used it). You can't select it because it wouldn't make any sense - you can't have a used 1-day ticket with unused days on it :)

And remember, you can always just get upgrade your package tickets and choose one of the other options. You just don't get a direct monetary savings.

"You can't select it because it wouldn't make any sense - you can't have a used 1-day ticket with unused days on it"

Lol, yeah I got that part. I guess I just have that stuck on my brain because every time we go we never get the non expiry and I'm used to knowing I have to use them all up when I get there. Forgot about the whole " not until you use the first day " thing.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate that.

I'm not a ticketing expert but from what I read here you are staying for four days and you have two one day tickets. One you purchased and one from GAD. So wouldn't you just use one ticket each of the first two days and then upgrade one to a three day to finish your trip. You could upgrade the purchased 1 day to three day with the meal plan.

I don't think the GAD is deceptive. They have very clear information on it and even offer the fast pass option.

One thing to consider is the front-loading of WDW ticket prices. For age 10+:
1 day = $79 (add 6.5% tax to all numbers shown)
2 days = $156, a difference of $77
3 days = $219, a difference of $63
4 days = $225, a difference of $6
and for days 5 thru 10, each day is an additional $3.

So for a person staying four or more days it is advantageous to either use the package ticket for the full time and the GAD Voucher for one of the alternate items or upgrade the GAD ticket for the full stay and save the package ticket for another trip.

For stays of two or three days specifically it is really worthwhile to use both tickets, and for a stay of more than ten days also.

In the FAQs, it says:
"May I upgrade my free one day ticket to an Annual Pass or multi-day ticket?

Yes, you may upgrade the free ticket to another ticket type of greater value within the applicable upgrade window. However, you are responsible for the incremental cost and the new ticket may only be used by you. No changes or refunds will be given. The value of the free ticket may not be used to combine or upgrade with a separate single or multi-day ticket."

All I want to do is go 2 days. I have my GAD voucher and am wondering if I can pay an additional "X" amount of dollars to add a day so we can visit a different park the next day. Does anyone know?

btw, I have searched here couldn't find anything with these specifics. Thank you in advance!

In the FAQs, it says:
"May I upgrade my free one day ticket to an Annual Pass or multi-day ticket?

Yes, you may upgrade the free ticket to another ticket type of greater value within the applicable upgrade window. However, you are responsible for the incremental cost and the new ticket may only be used by you. No changes or refunds will be given. The value of the free ticket may not be used to combine or upgrade with a separate single or multi-day ticket."

All I want to do is go 2 days. I have my GAD voucher and am wondering if I can pay an additional "X" amount of dollars to add a day so we can visit a different park the next day. Does anyone know?

btw, I have searched here couldn't find anything with these specifics. Thank you in advance!

Yes...and that is what the section of the FAQ you quoted says you can do... :)

You have to pay the difference between a 1-day and a 2-day ticket, which for an adult is $77, not including tax.

Wow, sounds super complicated. That's why we will opt for the Fast Pass option so we can ride Toy Storia Mania 9 times.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter