(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everybody for the info on transportation, very helpful. We switched to GF thinking it would be a lot easier to get around being on the loop but I guess I was wrong lol there aren't many rooms available at ANY resort at this point (we're going W&D race week) but I might keep checking a few times a day to see if a Poly or Contemporary room pop up in the meantime. GF looks so gorgeous though so I don't know if I will mind the inconvenience of transportation to parks.

I guess on the positive side (other than GF rooms/grounds looking amazing) we're eating 8 of our 12 TS meals at either GF, CR, Poly, or inside MK.

The monorail from gf to Epcot is no fun and take a lot of time. What we do like though is the walk from gf to poly then to the ttc. It's really a nice and relaxing walk. On our way back, normally we walk from the ttc to poly and get a dole whip and then walk to gf. Big pine or the villas are closer to poly.

Hope you're having a good time :wizard:.

I just booked a r/t town car for $135 for Oct...I can't imagine paying $150 one way :faint:.
The monorail from gf to Epcot is no fun and take a lot of time. What we do like though is the walk from gf to poly then to the ttc. It's really a nice and relaxing walk. On our way back, normally we walk from the ttc to poly and get a dole whip and then walk to gf. Big pine or the villas are closer to poly.

Just curious what restaurants do you have reservations for? Always looking for restaurant recommendations especially around the GF.

Just curious what restaurants do you have reservations for? Always looking for restaurant recommendations especially around the GF.

We stayed 2 times at the gf, 1st time in big pine and after that trip we purchase dvc at stayed at the villas. We have two small girls so we did o'hana for breakfast before going to Epcot, really enjoyed it. We did 1900 park fare for dinner great character interaction and goof food. We really enjoyed our brunch at narcosees but they no longer offer it (the view of the castle while eating was superb). I would definitely try it for dinner. We did not try grand floridian cafe but it suppose to be really got. You could splurge yourself and go to Victoria and Albert. You can take the monorail and stop at the contemporary to eat at the California grill. You will enjoy your stay at gf

We stayed 2 times at the gf, 1st time in big pine and after that trip we purchase dvc at stayed at the villas. We have two small girls so we did o'hana for breakfast before going to Epcot, really enjoyed it. We did 1900 park fare for dinner great character interaction and goof food. We really enjoyed our brunch at narcosees but they no longer offer it (the view of the castle while eating was superb). I would definitely try it for dinner. We did not try grand floridian cafe but it suppose to be really got. You could splurge yourself and go to Victoria and Albert. You can take the monorail and stop at the contemporary to eat at the California grill. You will enjoy your stay at gf

Everything sounds wonderful. My kids are 24 and 21, so we usually go to Kona, GF Cafe, Narcoossee's, Citrico's, The Wave (their fav), California Grill and once in a blue moon O'hana's, I miss the days of character dining. I love Big Pine Key and Sago Key but we never stayed in a building we didn't like. I was so tempted to buy the villa's at the Grand but didn't hit the trigger. Enjoy and have a great trip!!!

Every time we have stayed at either the GF or WL the Magical Express went to Poly first, then GF, then WL - except this past February when it went to FW, then WL, then Poly and GF.

For this whole topic, one time we were on ME and the driver explicitly said he was rerouted because of traffic, so anyone used to the usual schedule would notice the change in order.

But now with Uber/Lyft being so reasonably priced, that’s been our go-to for the last couple of trips.

Wow, I am making plans for adding a day at Universal and I never thought to rent a car. That has to be more economical then a shuttle and we can come a go whenever we want. Do you pick it up and drop it off at the GF?:car:

We’re actually renting from MCO and returning it to the Dolphin with Alamo. Alamo also has a location at the Car Care Center which is close to the GF. Not sure if they have a shuttle to take you back and forth to the GF though?

We’re actually renting from MCO and returning it to the Dolphin with Alamo. Alamo also has a location at the Car Care Center which is close to the GF. Not sure if they have a shuttle to take you back and forth to the GF though?

Thank you so much for the info. Definitely worth looking into even we take a Lyft for pick up and drop off it might be worth having our own car for that price. I think last time we went to Universal it was expensive to get a ride. I want to say it was $15 a person each way and there are 5 of us.

Since only registered guests can use the pool, you have to be a registered Grand Floridian guest to rent a cabana.

I do believe you need to be a registered guest to rent a cabana. I'm surprised to hear that tvsdisney was told anyone can do so (but then again, mixed answers from Disney are not uncommon). Maybe someone who has tried it recently will let us know.

However, it's not true that only registered guests can use the pool. Unless the GF pools have recently been blacklisted, DVC members can pool hop to use them.

The other thing that bothered me was how multiple times we heard people talking about not being guests there. There was a family on the bus back from AK talking about how they were just going to use the pool. :sad2: They really need to install magic band scanners...it won’t stop it but at least may deter some people.

Those people might have been DVC members, in which case they were "legally" pool hopping. I don't think many DVC members take advantage of pool hopping, but it is a perk to many resorts. Here's a thread about it from April: https://www.disboards.com/threads/pool-hopping.3678057/

Our boys asked when we were at Beaches and Cream if we could come swim at the pool we have stayed onsite and they love that pool area, we were staying at Poly on this trip though, I had actually seen a life guard scanning bands to guests entering the pool area, I asked if we are a resort guest can we come swim and she said they are strictly enforcing only YC/BC guests. I believe it looked to be an iPhone she was scanning bands with.

Our boys asked when we were at Beaches and Cream if we could come swim at the pool we have stayed onsite and they love that pool area, we were staying at Poly on this trip though, I had actually seen a life guard scanning bands to guests entering the pool area, I asked if we are a resort guest can we come swim and she said they are strictly enforcing only YC/BC guests. I believe it looked to be an iPhone she was scanning bands with.

I had a similar experience. We were park hopping, from HS to EP, and we stopped at BC to look around. I asked the cast member at the gate if we could just look around at the pool because we were thinking about booking there next year (we weren't in bathing suits). She was very hesitant about it, but eventually let us go in but stay very close to her. And we did end up booking YC for 2019. GF has signs saying it's for GF resort guests only, but there is no enforcement of it.

Could someone tell me when the GF will have their beautiful Gingerbread House up and available for viewing? Our trip is 11/24-12/1 and we hope to get to go see it !
This will be our first time visiting during the Christmas theming.

Could someone tell me when the GF will have their beautiful Gingerbread House up and available for viewing? Our trip is 11/24-12/1 and we hope to get to go see it !

It will be up when you get there!!!

We will be there also 11-25-12-3 then a few nights at Royal Pacific!!!

Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter