34-Year-Old Man Who Died After Getting Coronavirus Had Visited Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s be honest. These parks must be filled with folks on any given day with any number of infectious or contagious diseases.
Hard to think about, but likely true (and thanks for that thought, for when we are back and standing in lines BTW 🤣). Hopefully for most of them there are treatments if not also vaccines.

But to think you’d get tested for most any of them sooner than you’d get tested for COVID is just likely not true. My friend who has ALS spent years trying to get a diagnosis (and not just because it’s hard to diagnose). My mom has the same issue with a torn labrum; symptoms weren’t just a flashing neon sign, so she was dismissed, checked for several other things first, etc. Hindsight is always 20/20.....but at least hopefully we learn from it.

DDs school had their senior trip the week leading up to Disney closing. They actually came back home that Saturday and WDW closed that Sunday. No one caught covid or had any symptoms. Over 100 kids and chaperones went.

That's really interesting. I've been thinking about this issue and wondering why we haven't heard more about people who were at WDW in January, February, and March who thought they could have contracted the virus there. But we haven't seen anything. There had to have been well over a million people at WDW in that time period, but I haven't seen a single article or report that traces the virus back to WDW. They have traced it to private parties, funerals, spring break trips to the beach and to Mexico, and church services, but none to WDW or any other theme park. I would think that would be a really interesting study: How many people who went to WDW in January, February, and March actually tested positive for COVID 19 or had severe symptoms like those with the virus (since we weren't widely testing people for COVID-19 in January and February)? Who had to be hospitalized in January , February, or March for what they thought was flu within 14 days of returning from a trip to WDW? We heard about this one guy- but no other big headlines linking WDW to COVID-19.

That's really interesting. I've been thinking about this issue and wondering why we haven't heard more about people who were at WDW in January, February, and March who thought they could have contracted the virus there. But we haven't seen anything. There had to have been well over a million people at WDW in that time period, but I haven't seen a single article or report that traces the virus back to WDW. They have traced it to private parties, funerals, spring break trips to the beach and to Mexico, and church services, but none to WDW or any other theme park. I would think that would be a really interesting study: How many people who went to WDW in January, February, and March actually tested positive for COVID 19 or had severe symptoms like those with the virus (since we weren't widely testing people for COVID-19 in January and February)? Who had to be hospitalized in January , February, or March for what they thought was flu within 14 days of returning from a trip to WDW? We heard about this one guy- but no other big headlines linking WDW to COVID-19.

We were in Disney World from March 8 -14. We even stood with a BUNCH of people in very close quarters watching the fireworks show from main street. I don't recall anyone around me even coughing. I would say it highly unlikely we came into contact with anyone with this virus. I only say that in hindsight because none of my family of three (52, 49, 19) came down with anything. That said, given Dr Rand Paul's experience of no symptoms whatsoever, who's to say we don't now have antibodies?

I was also there March 7-14 with 60 of my family members and friends, ages 6-75. We went to all the parks, a wedding, fireworks, Star Wars virtual lines, buffet lines, and most went through MCO. We didn't see people wearing masks nor gloves while we were there.
None of us have had any symptoms.

My husband and I were at DisneyWorld Feb 29-March 7. We both had colds a week or two after returning but attributed it to travel and typical bugs picked up while traveling. We both expected to hear more in the news about Covid cases being traced back to WDW during that time frame.

My husband and I were at DisneyWorld Feb 29-March 7. We both had colds a week or two after returning but attributed it to travel and typical bugs picked up while traveling. We both expected to hear more in the news about Covid cases being traced back to WDW during that time frame.

Same. About 15 of us went and actually many family members where very sick shortly after. Assumed a typical winter bug as usual. No idea if any of us had it.

After reading these recent posts, I feel obligated to report our experience. We were in WDW from March12-19. On Monday March 16th my family, (wife and 2 kids) developed symptoms. It was mostly a cough and sour throat. We didn’t think much of it. Mine and my kids symptoms were very mild and only lasted a couple days. My wife had a more severe sour throat and aches and pains. On the 19th my wife developed a fever which lasted a few days. She is an essential employee so she tried to get tested after we got home but was told they were only testing critical cases. She then stayed home for 14 days. At the end of the 14 days she received a call from the DOH and was able to get a test. She had no symptoms For a full 10 days before the test but she came up positive for Covid-19. ( the test results took 5 days) My kids and I have been fine since March 18th.
Also, FWIW, I am a type 1 diabetic and had no issues at all. I think millions of people have had this and had no idea they did.

After reading these recent posts, I feel obligated to report our experience. We were in WDW from March12-19. On Monday March 16th my family, (wife and 2 kids) developed symptoms. It was mostly a cough and sour throat. We didn’t think much of it. Mine and my kids symptoms were very mild and only lasted a couple days. My wife had a more severe sour throat and aches and pains. On the 19th my wife developed a fever which lasted a few days. She is an essential employee so she tried to get tested after we got home but was told they were only testing critical cases. She then stayed home for 14 days. At the end of the 14 days she received a call from the DOH and was able to get a test. She had no symptoms For a full 10 days before the test but she came up positive for Covid-19. ( the test results took 5 days) My kids and I have been fine since March 18th.
Also, FWIW, I am a type 1 diabetic and had no issues at all. I think millions of people have had this and had no idea they did.

I agree that probably more people have been exposed than we think. We never had fevers so who knows if we actually had it but I would not be surprised if we were exposed and potentially asymptomatic. We may never know.

We were at WDW at the end of Jan. DH got sick when we got back. Fever, chest congestion, etc... The fever lasted a couple of days, but the chest congestion hung on for several weeks. We are now wondering if he had it. We've contemplated having him tested, but since he's not in a critical state now, we don't want to clog up the testing channels. Perhaps in a few weeks...

We were at WDW at the end of Jan. DH got sick when we got back. Fever, chest congestion, etc... The fever lasted a couple of days, but the chest congestion hung on for several weeks. We are now wondering if he had it. We've contemplated having him tested, but since he's not in a critical state now, we don't want to clog up the testing channels. Perhaps in a few weeks...

Same here. We went to Disney World for Marathon Weekend and traveled to Duke University immediately after. A few days after getting home I was sitting in my recliner one night and all of a sudden I couldn't catch my breath. I was really having to take deep breaths each time I took a breath. I started to freak out a little. The next day the symptoms continued and then I also developed a dry cough and some aches. I went to to urgent care that day. This was right around people were starting to get concerned about the virus. They had signs up at the urgent care about the corona virus and travel. When I saw the doctor he asked me if I had traveled recently. When I told him Disney World and to North Carolina he kind of gave me a strange look that I will never forget. Gave me a flu and strep test. Both came back negative. He diagnosed it as walking pneumonia. Gave me prescriptions for a z-pack and albuterol and sent me on my way. My wife thinks it was the virus due to the trouble breathing and dry cough. I will definitely take the antibody test when it comes out.

Same here. We went to Disney World for Marathon Weekend and traveled to Duke University immediately after. A few days after getting home I was sitting in my recliner one night and all of a sudden I couldn't catch my breath. I was really having to take deep breaths each time I took a breath. I started to freak out a little. The next day the symptoms continued and then I also developed a dry cough and some aches. I went to to urgent care that day. This was right around people were starting to get concerned about the virus. They had signs up at the urgent care about the corona virus and travel. When I saw the doctor he asked me if I had traveled recently. When I told him Disney World and to North Carolina he kind of gave me a strange look that I will never forget. Gave me a flu and strep test. Both came back negative. He diagnosed it as walking pneumonia. Gave me prescriptions for a z-pack and albuterol and sent me on my way. My wife thinks it was the virus due to the trouble breathing and dry cough. I will definitely take the antibody test when it comes out.

I had the same kinda thing the beginning of March. Right around the time we had the first case in my area. Urgent care doctor told me I had a cold but gave me a z pack and Flonase. When does a doctor give out a z pack for a cold? She said it was so it wouldn’t turn into bronchitis. They didn’t even consider testing me.

Our family of 4 was there from March 8-13. We washed our hands after every ride. At one point I got coughed directly in by a child walking by and on our last day there with a crowed bus leaving MK on the 12th there were lots of coughers. Maybe I was hyper sensitive to it because WDW just announced they were closing. My son has mild sore throat and ear ache, my younger daughter reported nothing, my husband had one day where he felt chilled about 5-6 after we left there and for 10 days I had low energy on and off sore throat, some burning in my lungs and a slight cough, but no fever or shortness of breath so they would not test. We were in self isolation when we came home anyway for 14 days. It sure would be nice to know if we had it or not!

Kinda makes you think don't it? If this thing is moving as fast as the media says it is, WDW would be one of the first places pinpointed for spreading the virus. It's just a given. If they can pinpoint "a lady in Korea was the cause of 1000 cases because of ignoring Doctors orders and going to a church service"....then they would know exactly how many cases stemmed from WDW don't you think? Let's not pretend that both Disney and the government don't have access to our travel records. Heck, the old man down the street probably has access to them lol! I'm officially unplugging my Alexa. :scratchin

We don’t know. And tho some posters here believe nobody needs to know that I’m guessing if he were people who were also at the resort would want to know.
Countless businesses and conferences have given such detailed info to the public. Many of the excuses I’ve read here go against the science and common sense. It reeks of fans trying to protect the brand. I love Disney too but the silence from Disney (even counting the couple sentence response) in this case and the big picture has been deafening.
I don't think anyone was even really thinking about "protecting Disney" as you suggest. I think it more comes down to basic common sense. Knowing exactly where dude was on property changes exactly ZERO % of the outcome. I mean is it for the sake of being able to say, "Yep, I knew it!"?? Like others have said, anyone could pick up his germs from as far back as when he stepped off the airplane and passed it to a teenager from Milwaukee, who went to the same Wawa station as the lady at the Starbucks that served him coffee in the airport and so on and so forth. There's simply no point in pinpointing it after the fact. I for one could care less about protecting the brand that price gouges me to no end. lol

I think it would be interesting at this point to know how many of us on the DIS boards have been diagnosed with it or having had it. So far in my world, I've only heard of "my cousin's son's girlfriend" kind of connections to it. I am a hairstylist in my town and know no one directly affected. As far as I have seen, no one has been diagnosed or died from this on these boards unless I've missed something. This should be a bit of an eye opener because we are from every end of the country and even the world on here. I for one do NOT trust the media and I think there's much more going on than meets the eye. I think it's awfully convenient to say that most people are asymptomatic. I'm just not buying everything I hear or read.

I think it would be interesting at this point to know how many of us on the DIS boards have been diagnosed with it or having had it. So far in my world, I've only heard of "my cousin's son's girlfriend" kind of connections to it. I am a hairstylist in my town and know no one directly affected. As far as I have seen, no one has been diagnosed or died from this on these boards unless I've missed something. This should be a bit of an eye opener because we are from every end of the country and even the world on here. I for one do NOT trust the media and I think there's much more going on than meets the eye. I think it's awfully convenient to say that most people are asymptomatic. I'm just not buying everything I hear or read.

I think I know of one dis guy but I don’t know him. He posts about quarantine and feeling sick. If he died, we wouldn’t hear from him.

On a personal note, I’ve seen about a dozen confirmed cases in my job. My saying that means that’s about a dozen who died either with it (Something else may have killed them but they also tested positive for Covid) or from it.

But today’s a new day. We’ll see what it brings.

I guess the issue with not reporting asymptomatic people is because there is no information on it due to the impossible timeline to have completed research and lack of testing (due to lack of tests in many cases).

They just do not have enough tests to test everyone (depending on where you are from, most places have at least some policies for testing), and even if a lot of people on this board showed symptoms they often will not meet the criteria for testing. I do in most cases trust the media but not if they are offering an opinion; I would not want them to speculate on numbers that are asymptomatic when they just are not available.

Testing at this point has to be incredibly limited and careful for a lot of regions but I think as the curve is flattened they are starting to test more liberally and hopefully that type of information will soon be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter