34-Year-Old Man Who Died After Getting Coronavirus Had Visited Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need for random insults. Paranoia has nothing to do with it. Your advice is contrary to CDC and WHO guidelines. Yes, airlines have publicly reported specific flights that carried infected persons. Some have sent email and FB blasts to people listing the specific flights. Why? Because the CDC and WHO recommended they do that. I got one from Westjet because our health agency recommended the same.
But you do have a good point; not once was it mentioned he was at a Disney hotel. Or where the conference was. Be good to know. There is still this from the CDC testing criteria:
3. Any persons including healthcare personnel2, who within 14 days of symptom onset had close contact3 with a suspect or laboratory-confirmed4 COVID-19 patient, or who have a history of travel from affected geographic areas5 (see below) within 14 days of their symptom onset.

That means there could very well be people out there who had close contact with this confirmed case, they later developed symptoms, they could be trying to get tested, it's taken some people weeks to get tested, and are being denied because they don't know they had that close contact. This information would be very valuable to them. Not sure why this is hard for anyone here to understand.

Sorry, wasn’t trying to make it personal. There were a lot of political missteps that took place that led us here. I don’t think one thread on a Disney board is going to get to the bottom of it all.

Also, I’m not sure how you can say self quarantining is contrary to CDC guidelines. I don’t think I have anything else to say on this topic, it’s just going to keep going in circles.

Last edited:
No need for random insults. Paranoia has nothing to do with it. Your advice is contrary to CDC and WHO guidelines. Yes, airlines have publicly reported specific flights that carried infected persons. Some have sent email and FB blasts to people listing the specific flights. Why? Because the CDC and WHO recommended they do that. I got one from Westjet because our health agency recommended the same.
But you do have a good point; not once was it mentioned he was at a Disney hotel. Or where the conference was. Be good to know. There is still this from the CDC testing criteria:
3. Any persons including healthcare personnel2, who within 14 days of symptom onset had close contact3 with a suspect or laboratory-confirmed4 COVID-19 patient, or who have a history of travel from affected geographic areas5 (see below) within 14 days of their symptom onset.

That means there could very well be people out there who had close contact with this confirmed case, they later developed symptoms, they could be trying to get tested, it's taken some people weeks to get tested, and are being denied because they don't know they had that close contact. This information would be very valuable to them. Not sure why this is hard for anyone here to understand.

If this one person should give their complete itenetery for the week or 2 week before they were confirmed positive to include every flight, hotel, conference, fastpass, restaurant they went to and that should be made public shoudn't that also be done for EVERY single confirmed case?

Honestly question. Let's say Disney did release a statement that said

"subject was not at a disney hotel. Subject was not at a conference on disney property. He went to magic kingdom only on this date".

Would you at that point consider this case closed or would you still want more information?

Wow so many arguments, can’t people just get information and never mind why they want it?

I was at WDW during the same time frame as this man. Yes there were probably others with it walking around. However this was before things exploded, Florida only had two cases and wasn’t considered a hot spot. We returned to Canada and it was business as usual, kids went to school and hubby went to work. It was not yet recommended that we quarantine, Things just weren’t at that level yet.
By the next day home I developed the symptoms of coronavirus. I contacted the Ontario health officials because of travelling to a high tourist destination. I was denied a test because I didn’t meet the criteria. Two days later things really heated up with cancellations and travel advisories. I was sick with all the symptoms and called again to request a test. By this day, schools were cancelled anyway but my husband was still required to work because I didn’t have a positive test result and he was asymptomatic. At this point no one understood that people could be passing it asymptomatic. Ontario denied my request for a test again because despite having been to WDW, there were no KNOWN cases there. The criteria at that point for testing was if you had been overseas , or had been exposed to someone with it. They told me they didn’t have enough tests to test everyone.

My kids and I have been isolated and I have recovered. However, with new information that we could possibly prove we were exposed , if we went to the same park on the same day, we can meet the strict criteria for testing, get tested, and if possible alert my kids’ classmates and teachers and anyone else we exposed in those few days, as well as my husband’s coworkers. He has remained asymptomatic but if we can prove with a simple verification of park visits and dates That we had exposure, then we can advise his coworkers responsibly.
That is all. I don’t blame WDW or think it’s their duty and blah blah blah to all the other complaints on this post. Some people can seek information without having your perfect standards for when a question can be asked.

Wow so many arguments, can’t people just get information and never mind why they want it?

I was at WDW during the same time frame as this man. Yes there were probably others with it walking around. However this was before things exploded, Florida only had two cases and wasn’t considered a hot spot. We returned to Canada and it was business as usual, kids went to school and hubby went to work. It was not yet recommended that we quarantine, Things just weren’t at that level yet.
By the next day home I developed the symptoms of coronavirus. I contacted the Ontario health officials because of travelling to a high tourist destination. I was denied a test because I didn’t meet the criteria. Two days later things really heated up with cancellations and travel advisories. I was sick with all the symptoms and called again to request a test. By this day, schools were cancelled anyway but my husband was still required to work because I didn’t have a positive test result and he was asymptomatic. At this point no one understood that people could be passing it asymptomatic. Ontario denied my request for a test again because despite having been to WDW, there were no KNOWN cases there. The criteria at that point for testing was if you had been overseas , or had been exposed to someone with it. They told me they didn’t have enough tests to test everyone.

My kids and I have been isolated and I have recovered. However, with new information that we could possibly prove we were exposed , if we went to the same park on the same day, we can meet the strict criteria for testing, get tested, and if possible alert my kids’ classmates and teachers and anyone else we exposed in those few days, as well as my husband’s coworkers. He has remained asymptomatic but if we can prove with a simple verification of park visits and dates That we had exposure, then we can advise his coworkers responsibly.
That is all. I don’t blame WDW or think it’s their duty and blah blah blah to all the other complaints on this post. Some people can seek information without having your perfect standards for when a question can be asked.

As far as I understand it, you must have symptoms and know you were in direct contact with someone with a confirmed case In order to meet the criteria to be tested. Simply hearing that you went to the same Disney park on the same day as someone else with the virus did, would not have qualified you for a test.

The CDC defines close contact as having direct contact with the infectious secretions of someone who has coronavirus, such as being coughed on, or being within about 6 feet of an infected person "for a prolonged period of time."   

No, we don't need all the information. We don't need the entire life timeline. We do need the details of where they were when they were communicable if they were in a public place that hosts thousands of visitors. That is useful. And if they were at a hotel, I'm sure anyone who was at that hotel or conference would like to know, without a doubt. And you can't get all that from a guest list. You know that's true. Any parent especially would be desperate for that info and outraged if it was not shared with them. And here we are.
And what would change if you knew you stayed at the same resort as this person or even in the same room? What can you do about it now? What does it matter if you got it from a door knob he touched at a resort or a desk he touched at the airport? What will having that exact information do for you if you're diagnosed with the virus? I can't understand why furthering your panic by knowing you were at the same place as the man would be helpful to you? Either you got it or you didn't. None of his personal whereabouts on whatever day is going to change the outcome in any way shape or form. Not trying to be rude, just matter of fact. If I get sick it does me no good to curse the person or the doorknob they touched that I touched too. There's no peace of mind that comes with that information. Just regret.

As far as I understand it, you must have symptoms and know you were in direct contact with someone with a confirmed case In order to meet the criteria to be tested. Simply hearing that you went to the same Disney park on the same day as someone else with the virus did, would not have qualified you for a test.

The CDC defines close contact as having direct contact with the infectious secretions of someone who has coronavirus, such as being coughed on, or being within about 6 feet of an infected person "for a prolonged period of time."   
Yes and all this "I need to know if I was in the same place at the same time" is only going to perpetuate more panic and cause everyone to demand to be tested just to be sure. No one has time for that. The system is overloaded as it is.

For everyone desperately asking why public health officials and Disney have not released more information: we are well beyond the containment phase of this virus. Public tracking of infectious peoples is meant only during a time when it is still contained, and when officials feel optimistic that they can control transmission by removing specific individuals from the public populace for a time.

We are far, far past that. Public health officials will not be keeping track of every place every single infected individual goes or has gone, because we're at the point where we're seeing over 5,000 new cases per day. The public and private health sector are now entirely focused on coordinating care for those infected while attempting to curb the spread via policy and social changes for the entire population. They simply don't have the time, nor does it make sense to track every single individual who tests positive.

I'm curious what's going to happen to international APs depending when the parks open. I'm sure there's much less of us, but I wonder if they're going to be a little more lenient with us or allow us to freeze our passes in some way if we can't even enter the country when the parks open up.
I'm an International AP holder and even with that, it costs me a considerable amount to visit factoring in transport to the airport, overnight hotel stays and parking. If I have to cancel September, and the way things are going it is a real possibility, then I miss out on getting full advantage on my AP. International AP holders already don't get all the benefits that domestic AP holders get, such as being able to add the DDP.

I'm confused at this concept... why wouldn't you be able to add the DDP like anyone else?
I have tried to do it, but, the UK WDTC says we can only do it if we book through the US site. It's incredibly unfair, I get why we might not get the free dining plan, but, not to be able to buy the DDP is puzzling.
Back in the days when the exchange rates were better it would have been a good thing to book through the US site, but, now it's not worth it.

I'm pretty sure both headlines have happened lately, neither good.

34-Year-Old Man Who Died After Getting Coronavirus Had Visited Disney World

34-Year-Old Man Who Died After Getting Coronavirus Had Never Gotten A Chance To Visit Disney World

I have tried to do it, but, the UK WDTC says we can only do it if we book through the US site. It's incredibly unfair, I get why we might not get the free dining plan, but, not to be able to buy the DDP is puzzling.
Back in the days when the exchange rates were better it would have been a good thing to book through the US site, but, now it's not worth it.

It might be because the traditional way APs add a dining plan is to call and ask for a "ticketless package." You can't do it online. So yes, I suppose UK WDTC is right....you can book it through the US site when you buy a full package, unlike the packages they offer in the UK. They seem to have missed the part where you have to call for what you want, in particular, since it's not available online.

For everyone desperately asking why public health officials and Disney have not released more information: we are well beyond the containment phase of this virus. Public tracking of infectious peoples is meant only during a time when it is still contained, and when officials feel optimistic that they can control transmission by removing specific individuals from the public populace for a time.

We are far, far past that. Public health officials will not be keeping track of every place every single infected individual goes or has gone, because we're at the point where we're seeing over 5,000 new cases per day. The public and private health sector are now entirely focused on coordinating care for those infected while attempting to curb the spread via policy and social changes for the entire population. They simply don't have the time, nor does it make sense to track every single individual who tests positive.
And the us is likely at that stage because contact tracing has been a patchwork and mostly a failure. The reactions in this thread in part underscore why.
In Canada test, trace and contain has been constant. Public health officers still contact and trace every case. Public announcements are still made about events where transmission was suspected but those are fewer now because of our social distancing and stay at home guidelines.
When I did street enforcement outside (and made a few forays inside to use the facilities at) a conference where transmission occurred I was alerted by public announcements from a contact tracer.
South Korea, Japan and Singapore all had aggressive contact tracing coupled with public announcements and got positive results. Canada and the US likely started exposure to the virus at a similar time and opportunities; to date the us has per capita 5 to 6 times as many deaths from the virus and this ratio is only getting worse.
The us failure to properly test, trace and contain is the main reason for this. This guys story which suggests movement between states, lack of an early test and no coordination of information or formal tracing (and a lost opportunity to possibly share important info with the public) between states, is a prime example of that failure.

Covid is everywhere. Even Disney! They are all doing the right thing closing and offering discounts.

Let’s be honest. These parks must be filled with folks on any given day with any number of infectious or contagious diseases.

Covid is everywhere. Even Disney! They are all doing the right thing closing and offering discounts.
Indeed. However, this is now leading to a Catch-22 situation where despite the necessity and unprecedented magnitude of the situation, the prolonged lockdowns are costing businesses millions in lost revenue, and the amount of uncertainty is already taking its toll on people, with some experiencing mental health problems as a result of being forced to stay indoors without any form of escapism, and finding it difficult to escape the Groundhog Day of news where it's all doom and gloom about statistics and fatalities.

However, at the same time, the decentralised nature, lack of universal healthcare and conflicts as to whether or not lockdowns conflict with 'American' ideals of liberty, not to mention a lack of cross-coordination between states is exacerbating the US figures to the point that it even makes Europe's statistics seem small, yet even in the UK with our stretched-thin universal healthcare system, we're not far behind on exceeding Italy and Spain, given that we've hesitated due to the dangerous idea of 'herd immunity' being explored, only to then retract that when experts said it would overwhelm the NHS.

I think, when the pandemic is over, there is going to be some reckoning on how the world deals with future pandemics, seeing as there's clear differences in how countries deal with them, and how there's an absence in cross-coordination.

DDs school had their senior trip the week leading up to Disney closing. They actually came back home that Saturday and WDW closed that Sunday. No one caught covid or had any symptoms. Over 100 kids and chaperones went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter