The impulse rush of the moment when you see a popular location availanle thrill of the hunt thing you get going is not there for me anymore thank goodness!! I just cancelled Kona. Id got it in the midst of new reopening excitement...then looked at the menu..yes they do have good food! Way overpriced and I have better at home. (not always the case) In reservations I want a unique disney experience like Hoop Dee Doo, a memory attached or a special benefit like show seating which does have a high value to me. It is freeing to remove the dining angst! What I did book was easy no stress .

I agree that the thrill of the chase can cloud judgment from time to time. I've definitely booked things and then thought, "Do I actually want to eat there?" A lot of "Must Dos" are overhyped, in my opinion. While I still love 'Ohana, both Be Our Guest and Cinderella's Royal Table were lackluster for me. It's definitely a matter of personal taste. But I think it's safe to say that failing to get a particular reservation shouldn't have the power to ruin your trip. There are plenty of places to choose from, and I've found many a hidden gem by forcing myself to branch out from the usual reservations that I would make.

Pressure to book because of the hype is strong! I am not fan of WDW food. In fact, I found most meals we had there meh foodwise but I still book one per day because it's much easier for me to find something I can eat due to multiple allergies (no mammalian product, soy, pea protein, mushrooms, etc.) at a TS restaurant than at QS. I looked at every single menu and chose our meals based on where I can find something suitable and if I had a choice, I chose the cheapest option.
Also, when I asked my family where they wanted to eat this trip, the only answer I got was that they wanted the beignets from POFQ. Guess where we are staying? :teacher: So no repeat for us this trip since we don't have any must-go restaurants and only one character meal,'Ohana breakfast, for my youngest who adores Stitch.

I am right there with you. I'm thrilled that I've been able to experience many of the harder to get ADR's, but we're at a point now with two picky eaters who are now "Disney adults" and those hefty price tags just aren't worth it to us any longer. On our most recent trip last Feb we ate QS only due to being a little extra COVID cautious. It left us so much more time for rides and other experiences. We purposely sought out QS that wasn't just burgers and fries and had some great meals! I'm thinking this is the way for us now. Maybe we'll do a TS or two but gone are the days of 1-2 TS a day.

I think I have found the right balance! We'll be there 11 days and I have 9 ADRs.

We chose four favorites -Skipper Canteen, Edison, Yak and Yeti, Rose and Crown (and I may yet cancel R&C) - and are not going to several other favorites - 'Ohana, Le Cellier, BOG, Crystal Palace, etc.

And we are choosing five new ( or new-to-us) places, for various reasons.
Boatwrights - we staying at POFQ and are planning a relaxing evening in/near the resort.
California Grill - I've always wanted to have dinner there and see the FW! This is a birthday trip for me so it's one of my big splurges.
Coral Reef - it's the only EP restaurant offering the CP package that we haven't tried. This is my other big splurge.
Oga's Cantina - we're big Star Wars fans and it won't cost much; we'll share an appetizer and get a drink.
Space 220 Lounge - ok, we totally fell for the hype with this one! Since the Lounge is cheaper that the prix fixe meal in the restaurant, it won't be too $$$

This is an interesting thread. I just finished reading and a big chunk of replies are blank. :)

I hear you - I am a week out from making ADRs and I am struggling because there are meals I want to go to but I don't want to overbook. I generally do no more than one ADR per day, and often end up cancelling a few along the way once I realize it's too much. I am trying to do more new places this trip so that means making the painful decision not to do some of my favorites.

We chose four favorites -Skipper Canteen, Edison, Yak and Yeti, Rose and Crown (and I may yet cancel R&C) - and are not going to several other favorites - 'Ohana, Le Cellier, BOG, Crystal Palace, etc.
I have always loved Rose and Crown and we try to always book a meal there every trip. I took a look at the menu this time for our Thanksgiving trip and was really shocked by how paired down it is. I know it's been a long time since the prime rib was on the menu but now the salmon and chicken are both gone as well. Looks like we will be cancelling this reservation for our upcoming trip.

I am right there with you. I'm thrilled that I've been able to experience many of the harder to get ADR's, but we're at a point now with two picky eaters who are now "Disney adults" and those hefty price tags just aren't worth it to us any longer. On our most recent trip last Feb we ate QS only due to being a little extra COVID cautious. It left us so much more time for rides and other experiences. We purposely sought out QS that wasn't just burgers and fries and had some great meals! I'm thinking this is the way for us now. Maybe we'll do a TS or two but gone are the days of 1-2 TS a day.
Exactly. Luckily for us ($$ and time wise) we learned/started this years ago and we have never regretted it. Now we "may" do 1 TS during a trip and that will be a character TS whenever our DDs would like to do one. Our trips have become a LOT more enjoyable and less expensive. I could not even imagine doing a few TS during a trip now, let alone 1 or 2 a day. LOL Plus, I never thought that the TS's were all that great to begin with.

I have always loved Rose and Crown and we try to always book a meal there every trip. I took a look at the menu this time for our Thanksgiving trip and was really shocked by how paired down it is. I know it's been a long time since the prime rib was on the menu but now the salmon and chicken are both gone as well. Looks like we will be cancelling this reservation for our upcoming trip.
Yeah...the new menu is perplexingly small. Two appetizers and two desserts? We still love it and might still go...but with Fantasmic! back, I may cancel our reservation and hit HS on our last night instead of EP.

I am glad someone posted that a part of the fun of ADRs is the 'thrill of the chase'. There is a certain satisfaction of getting that hard to find reservation and enjoying the fruits of your labor with a great meal there. Then there are some times I just play "catch and release'....getting a hard to find reservation like Space 220 with no true desire to eat there but immediately cancel just for that 'pat on the back' knowing I was able to do it. :-)

The prices they are currently charging at WDW restaurants just aren’t justified by the food and experience. Same with the hotel rooms. Yes, there’s a convenience factor but if I’m paying $300-$400 for my family of five to have a meal I better get some amazing food and service and the ambience better be enjoyable, not the ear deafening music level of WDW’s current sit down restaurants. We actually plan to eat offsite more next time just to escape the craziness.
I absolutely agree on avoiding places with “ear deafening music.” I will get up and leave before ordering if the music is making the ambience painfully loud. Really annoying! Why do they do that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter