8/17/08 Captain Jack's Repossession Repo Cruise to PC thru TPC Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Castaway Cay

Aug31.jpg

Naked Rugby at 11am
NAKEDRUBYfinal.jpg

P7030075.jpg

I remember from 2005 the sea days up to Castaway cay were so beautiful loads of nice islands coming up either side, warm calm days, it was so loverly.

Interestingly Katrina had gone through the southern Caribbean and then New Orleans just before.

I have a question for all you camera-smart people here!

My current digital camera is a Canon Powershot A80 which is a few years old, but handles all my point-n-shoot needs and I have an underwater case for it that is great for cruises and snorkeling. However, I'm still dreaming of getting a digital SLR. My DH and I both have OLD Canon AE-1 film cameras that we occasionally dig out and use -but I have become so addicted to digital, those times are getting less and less frequent.

I want to put a D-SLR on my wish list for this christmas (in hopes DH will get it for me or maybe get my parents to go in with him for a joint gift) and I am having trouble telling the difference between the different models. I think I want to stick with Canon - my current camera is a canon, my old SLR and even my digital video camera (Elura 100) is a Canon. Also, they all use CF memory cards which is the same as my current camera. Since I expect to be using both my Powershot and the new camera I would like them to have the same memory card type.

It looks like there are 4 different models that are within a price range that there is "hope" I might get (There isn't much point asking for a camera that costs thousands with a TOAL to be paid for also!) As you can see, there is quite a price range among these 4.

Digital Rebel XT - $500-$600
Digital Rebel XTi - $700-$800
EOS 30D - $1000-$1300
EOS 40D - $1300-$1500

What are the main, big differences between these cameras? I know some of it is 8 vs 10 megapixels, but I don't think I'm that concerned with that. I rarely print anything larger than 8x10. I do often crop so having some extra pixel depth for that is good.

Obviously, I am not a pro and probably don't even qualify as pro-sumer. I currently take about 2000 photos per year (goes up each year, so I'll probably be approaching 3000/year soon!) However, I also am not a novice who has never used anything but point-n-click. Before digital, I used my AE-1 a lot - enough that DH and I have 6 or 7 lenses, a couple tripods, an external flash, etc. I enjoy playing around with my camera and trying different stuff. I managed to take some pretty good long-exposure shots of our house with xmas lights last year with just my Powershot A80!

I am assuming that my old AE-1 lenses won't work with any of these, so to start with I would just have the lens that came with the body.

Sorry for being so long winded here - the crux of it is, does anyone have any insight into the difference between these cameras and which one might be right for me?

Pamela (pdarrah)

I don't have anything specific to recommend (since we're Nikon people), but I would copy this whole post & put it on the photography board - they're all really helpful with this kind of stuff.

Good Luck & I hope your DH thinks you were good for Christmas!

Pamela, my DH has the Rebel XT. I got it for him last year for Father's Day - unfortunately not long after we bought it the XTi came out and he would rather have that one due to some enhancements that it has. However, he does like the XT and it will be coming on the TOAL with us next year.

Just got an email from Chris/Grandmax3 . They are on Castaway Cay (along with the rest of us lol) and we will be meeting up tomorrow for lunch along with Monica and her DM. The weather today in Nassau is 90 and mostly cloudy. Hopefully they had a good day. I'm excited about hearing about the trip.:goodvibes She complained about the internet being soooo slow. Hope they get it worked out before next year. I can just imagine the rush to get packed tonight. I remember what a pain it was for 4 days and can't imagine 15. :eek:
Hope to see y'all in chat.

I just now had an e-mail from Todd. They're back on the ship, starting their packing. He's not a happy camper. He WAS glad to be on (relatively) dry land today....and said there was a big sign at Castaway Cay that said "Welcome Back Disney Magic".
They had a great time, rebooked onboard...and also booked the 5 night following this cruise! Now I'm really jealous!!

He wrote every day and didn't complain of slow internet, so I wonder if it had anything to do with where your stateroom is? They are on Deck 8.

My current digital camera is a Canon Powershot A80 which is a few years old, but handles all my point-n-shoot needs and I have an underwater case for it that is great for cruises and snorkeling. However, I'm still dreaming of getting a digital SLR. My DH and I both have OLD Canon AE-1 film cameras that we occasionally dig out and use -but I have become so addicted to digital, those times are getting less and less frequent.

I want to put a D-SLR on my wish list for this christmas (in hopes DH will get it for me or maybe get my parents to go in with him for a joint gift) and I am having trouble telling the difference between the different models. I think I want to stick with Canon - my current camera is a canon, my old SLR and even my digital video camera (Elura 100) is a Canon. Also, they all use CF memory cards which is the same as my current camera. Since I expect to be using both my Powershot and the new camera I would like them to have the same memory card type.

It looks like there are 4 different models that are within a price range that there is "hope" I might get (There isn't much point asking for a camera that costs thousands with a TOAL to be paid for also!) As you can see, there is quite a price range among these 4.

Digital Rebel XT - $500-$600
Digital Rebel XTi - $700-$800
EOS 30D - $1000-$1300
EOS 40D - $1300-$1500

What are the main, big differences between these cameras? I know some of it is 8 vs 10 megapixels, but I don't think I'm that concerned with that. I rarely print anything larger than 8x10. I do often crop so having some extra pixel depth for that is good.

Obviously, I am not a pro and probably don't even qualify as pro-sumer. I currently take about 2000 photos per year (goes up each year, so I'll probably be approaching 3000/year soon!) However, I also am not a novice who has never used anything but point-n-click. Before digital, I used my AE-1 a lot - enough that DH and I have 6 or 7 lenses, a couple tripods, an external flash, etc. I enjoy playing around with my camera and trying different stuff. I managed to take some pretty good long-exposure shots of our house with xmas lights last year with just my Powershot A80!

I am assuming that my old AE-1 lenses won't work with any of these, so to start with I would just have the lens that came with the body.

Sorry for being so long winded here - the crux of it is, does anyone have any insight into the difference between these cameras and which one might be right for me?

Pamela (pdarrah)

NOt sure how much time I have to post -

But I'll take a swing at this. Here's the short answer ... a or a series of short remarks:

The DSLRs sem to come out every 18 months with Canon with the latest model proclaimed as "greatest" while yesterdays fades to obsolence. NONSENSE.... th recently discontinued model is pretty darn good and now a potential bargain.

That said... these are the basic considerations of significsnce to me...

40D .... http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos40d/ newly introduced and the model I am lusting after. It is a baby version of thier top of the line 1D Mk3 ($5000 and much heavier). Shutter design life 100,000 actuations, fps 6.5/3 (selectable) with a large 85 frame buffer, semi-water sealed, 10.1 MP sensor with a 1.6 crop and anti-dust mechanism (!!!), max ISO boosted is 3200 with rumored improvements in noise control, digic 3 IC, magnesium body. 9 point focus system uses 9 cross pattern focus points and is rumored to be nearly as effective as the new 1D Mk3, plus 14 bit color depth<4x greater color palet compared to 12 bit>, $1299 with an expected drop to $1000 or sub $1000 a month after this Christmas (body only).. based on past pricing history of thier DSLRs. So why get a $5000 1D Mk3? .... there are reasons but none are very compelling to me.

30D .... http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos30d/ currently available on ebay refurb at $750 (!!!) and new near $800. Differences to a 40D.... 8MP sensor... digic 2 <yawn... but digic 3 is more powerful allowing biger buffer and suppposedly speed> .... not water sealed at all.... same shutter life but no dust reduction for the sensor. So you have to be very careful swapping lenses. 9 point focus system has one cross sensor.... 12 bit color depth <1/4 the color pallet.... still nearly indiscernable to the untrained eye.>.... beautiful noiseless images up to ISO 1600 .. the 40D should be better and probably undiscernable to the untrained eye ... even under moderate magnification or cropping.

XTi - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/ I am less familiar with since I never looked at it closely .... but off hand I think its' a raging bargain. Smaller Polycarbonate body on a stainless steel chassis, very light and small, 10.1 MP sensor is higher resolution than the 30D... and it features a dust reduction device with anti-static coatings like the 40D and 1D Mk3, buffer is 27 frames and it has the same 9 point focus system as the 30D. So in many ways it is the same or BETTER than a 30D... and cheaper in general. However, it is not an all magnesium body and not full sized. The 30D feels better to me and has the 100,000 actuation shutter life. The XTi supposedly has an unrated lifespan from the manufacturer - however some folks say it seems to last about 35,000 actuations on AVERAGE as reported by folks on the web. I shoot a LOT.... and would prefer to invest in a durable shutter. AND... the XTi (and XT) have a max sensitivity of ISO 1600 and a usable sensitivity of 400 ... maybe 800. Whereas the 30D has a usable 1600 and flawless ISO 800 speed.

The XT http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/ is the 8MP older version of the XTi. If you're looking for a used or ebay bargain... I imagine you'd find one in this if you can find it. I think it is possible without too much trouble... and it would make an excellent camera. NO anti-dust design ... but maximum value for the dollar... a close copetitior to getting a 30D used IMO. Consider.... 6.5 years ago I paid $900 for body alone on a Canon G1... 3MP point and shoot! 3 years later I bought another G1 used on ebay for $150! And less than 2 years after I bought my Digital Rebel for $900 I sold it on ebay for $490! AND.... as already mentioned (ANDREW.... yes I am prone to ocasional repettition) the 10D I bought was recently replaced by the 20D and about 2.5 years old.... originally $2100 but averaged $1500 in cost .... and I bought it for $590!

So which would I choose? GO to a near by store and see if the handling qualities and fit in the hand make any diference to you. Consider the heft of the magnesium bodies versus the XT series. Search ebay for pricing history (30 day) and see if one is a much better deal suited to your taste in risk. I sold my old Digital Rebel for $490 and immediately bought the 0D for $590. The 10D had an original MSRP of $2100 with a $1500 street price. I was happy to spend the extra $100 for my 10D off ebay (used). I was ... lucky. I suspect truly used DsLR equipment on ebay should be .. avoided. Ya never kno... kno what I mean? There are sooooo many potential problems that can arise with a DSLR.... and getting one cheaper and used on ebay is not the best idea IMO. However.... I sold my 300D and bought my 10D plus a G1 used on ebay ... and was lucky.

SO... of greater concern is which lenses will you want? You already have some I take it... and your lens kit will endure with you through (potentially) several bodies. Plus the flash gun you get will endure with you too. Except mine is now due for upgrading if I get a 40D. It has TTL2 capabilities which my current flash cannot sync with. Still usable - but less precise.

If I were you - and without knowing anything more than what you've said already ... I would either spring for a 40D after the price drops close to $1000 body alone.. assumed to be soon after Christmas. Otherwise if the magnesium body is preferable to you but cost an issue - then a 30D is a fine choice = and I would do the refurb for $750 of ebay. In fact I very nearly bought one of those a few days ago! But changed my mind and decided I would hold out for the 40D when the price drops.

As for the XTi versus XT. I think the XTi is a LOT OF CAMERA for the money. I just don't like the size, polycarbonate body or ... most annoying to me ... the prominant mode dial on top is sort of cheap looking. I can't stand it and I must have a higher quality feel to my DSLR body. Especially if we're spending near $1000 or if our kit in hand (one lense + flash) is worth $2000... then I want a mode dial and handing quality that is befitting and pleasant to work work with.

Alas, some folks love the size, fit in the hand and light weight of the XT series. And I must agree... the merit in such + the cost savings is compelling. I would say for 50% plus of enthusiasts an XT or XTi would exceed their needs for the foreseeable future or half a decade. If you realize shooting output of 3,500 frames a year then it should last you 10 years. HOWEVER... if you're like me and shoot 9-15,000 frames a year.... then the 100,0000 life 30D or 40D is highly desirable over the 35,000 frame estimated life XT/XTi series bodies. I seem to average 11,000 frames a year. Alas... if you were to go with an XT (the 350)... then it is still gonna crush the IQ of any P/S camera with the APS sensor and lightening fast handling qualities! PLUS... you will achieve maximum performance for minimum dollar cost - most likely. AND... between the XT and XTi... I think it was the XT which had a nicer mode dial (choosing between the two).

So... go to a store. Read the reviews from DP review (links imbedded above). Narrow your budget and timing and that should identify your ideal choice. AND may I add... if you are the sort who occasionally has accidents with your equipment ... or if you're simply pretty rough with your equipment... as I am in both cases. Then you may want to buy at BEST BUY or DELL. They sell extended warrenties that cover abuse and accidents (exceot water damage - I think). The one from Best Buy is cheaper I think... 4 years for about $200 ... supposedly. If this feature interests you - check on your own to verify costs and coverage details....don't rely on me 100%.

OK.... I hope that helps. I assume someone else is sure to step forward and contradict me. OK... no one is perfect and I admit to simply trying to be helpful... not necessarily authoratiative or accurate.

Cheers!

I just now had an e-mail from Todd. They're back on the ship, starting their packing. He's not a happy camper. He WAS glad to be on (relatively) dry land today....and said there was a big sign at Castaway Cay that said "Welcome Back Disney Magic".
They had a great time, rebooked onboard...and also booked the 5 night following this cruise! Now I'm really jealous!!

He wrote every day and didn't complain of slow internet, so I wonder if it had anything to do with where your stateroom is? They are on Deck 8.

JackSparrow3.jpg

Clearly I've missed something...
Why is Todd an "unhappy Camper"?
Is it that his journey is nearing debarkation?

OR.....???
:confused3

JackSparrow3.jpg

Clearly I've missed something...
Why is Todd an "unhappy Camper"?
Is it that his journey is nearing debarkation?​

OR.....???
:confused3

Sorry...yes...because they are at the end of their voyage. I think he could have handled another two weeks.

Huh,he didn't ask us if it was alright to stay on the ship longer. He's really gonna get the other "Captain Jack" ticked off now! :lmao:

Crash - Thank you very much for your camera comments. Your summaries really helped me see the difference in the different cameras.

I think you are correct that I am going to have to go to a store and play with them to get a feel for the differences. Since I have small hands (I'm only 5'3") and I know that weight really affects how much I carry a camera around with me, that may have a real impact on what I want. I currently do not take anywhere near the volume of photos you do. I've been averaging 2000 per year and creeping up a little - might hit 3000 this year or next (with a TOAL!)

It definitely sounds like the XTi is preferable to the XT, so I am at least narrowed down to 3 choices now!

THanks again,

Pamela (pdarrah)

Actually, as long as we are on the camera/photo subject ....

Those of you who shoot a LOT of photos - how do you organize and keep track of your pictures? I currently have about 13,000 files under "My Photos" and it is getting harder and harder to find what I want. Many pictures have multiple files (original, cropped/edited, downsized for email, etc.) so I haven't taken 13,000 photos (YET!)

I have been looking at different software - Picasa doesn't seem powerful enough (although FREE is nice!) and several others I have looked at have pros/cons. I am currently leaning toward a program called IDImager.

I am just curious how others handle this - particularly those who seem to shoot A LOT more photos than I do!

Pamela (pdarrah)

He must be one of the lucky ones. Read on the other thread they were having slow service as well.:confused3

He must be one of the lucky ones. Read on the other thread they were having slow service as well.:confused3

Or maybe his was slow, too, but he just never said anything. His e-mails were short and to the point.

Those of you who shoot a LOT of photos - how do you organize and keep track of your pictures? I currently have about 13,000 files under "My Photos" and it is getting harder and harder to find what I want. Many pictures have multiple files (original, cropped/edited, downsized for email, etc.) so I haven't taken 13,000 photos (YET!)

We have a Mac, so we just use iPhoto - Special occasions & trips we make an album for and everything is still in the Library organized by date.

I have been looking at different software - Picasa doesn't seem powerful enough (although FREE is nice!) and several others I have looked at have pros/cons. I am currently leaning toward a program called IDImager.

I am just curious how others handle this - particularly those who seem to shoot A LOT more photos than I do!

Pamela (pdarrah)

lightroom_boxshot_left.jpg

I've taken near 60,000 digital images. They are broken out losely into files titled by YEAR, MONTH, SUBJECT. I am a painfully simple guy. I tried using photoshop LE and found it confusing and far too elegant for a hack like myself. SO - I just used the FREE utility on the my XP OS notebook... that is ... until I got my new notebook computer. And now that has Picassa. I find that these free tools are like childrens' toys i terms of image manipulation compared to photoshop LE and the full version, Adobe Lightroom or... the "big gun" application (supposedly) Aperature which is only good on a MAC (supposedly).

I recently tooled around with Aperature and downloaded a beta sample of Lightroom - and as such I am in mild envy of these elegant workflow enhancing tools. When I get my 40D I'm going to start shooting in RAW + JPEG mode. My storage needs are going to explode! However, what I'm looking for is the image perfection achievable with RAW images ... plus the recoverable manipulation process. Eventually I'll switch over to just RAW.... that is .... IF I possess enough processing power in my the new notebook computer with Lightroom... the likely choice I'll switch to. I am not ready to go MAC just to process my images.

Aside from that - I am also going to buy an extrenal RAID array with 1TB total - or more. I filled 80MB with the 60,000 images (Actually 50,000or so). SO ... if I go RAW at 10.1 MP versus the 3-6MP JPEG of the 60,000 I already have .... then it's gonna be a certainty I'll exhaust my current storage capacities of 250MB extrenal + 160MB on the notebook - which exist in imperfect DUPLICATE form on these two drives. THE 1TB RAID will of course be divided into 500MB twins. SO.. I am seriously looking at an empty RAID box which I saw today from a local FRYs' electronics. It was $129 and would take 4 drives and includes RAID settings for ZERO and ONE (auto duplicating or single in line storage). Of course, a 4 drive RAID array with the current max drive sizes I know of ... 750MB ... would give me up to 1.5 TB of storage in duplicate!!! AND this is realistic with the free fall price reductions in storage we've seen in recent years.

SO... I thought I would toss in (in temporary conclusion) that I used to store everything on CDRs. Well... a couple of years ago I read warning discussions as to the risk of CDR failure over time. AND ... the delamination risk for CDRs that were written upon by permanent SHARPIE. Well... some of my CDRs were in fact written upon by SHARPIES. I was panic state as I went through and inspected all my CDRs. Which were all made in DUPLICATE! And indeed... a couple of CDRs were damaged and ONE had delaminated. AND the delaminated one was NOT made in duplicate. AND ... as luck would have it - THAT CDR was one that was requested for copies by my sister in law. It had photos of her impromptu wedding reception (yes, impromptu) where I had the ONLY photos in volume of the event. I could only recover some of the photos from her wedding series on the CDR ... and the lost photos were of her reception. SO... all she had now were the live prints I had made and given her. Later I came to realize the duplicate CDR I traditionally made was actually GIVEN to her when I gave her the live prints and enlargements. She apparently misplaced the CDR duplicate which I gave her. oops...

So... if you've got your images on CDRs or DVDRs... then the rated life of cheap no - name CDRs is supposed to be about 25 years on average with good treatment. If you bought the expensive GOLD foil CDRs and took meticulous care of them - then supposedly you have over 75 years of life. AND compare that to negatives and professional quality prints.... with near 100+ years. The endura supreme paper prints I make have a 200 year life as rated by Kodak ... if they are stored in a cool dark place. AND a 100 year life if exhibited under ideal circumstances (I think) in the home. AND... a 5 year life under commercial exhibition conditions which were less then ideal (direct light or sun). NOW THAT is durable!

SO I used duplicate extrenal hard drives to store my collections. I have a 75GB drive which was filled and I have a 250 GB western digital drive which FAILED 3 months after I bought it. Which I recently had repaired. AND I have little confidence in it - so I'll be replacing it some time in the near future with a RAID array. Then I'll wipe it and resell it or ??? or I'll use it as a door stop on our TOAL.

OK... that's enuf for now. Probably way too much by some standards.

TTFN!

In honor of our virtual trip. Here's some of my favorite CC pictures. Notice (it looks like) we're the only ones on the island. Ignore the dates. They're wrong

100_1039.jpg

100_1042.jpg

100_1056.jpg

100_1063.jpg

SHOW US YOUR PICTURES OF CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter