A complaint: lack of housekeeping

I agree with you about the vindication aspect with respects to the PP's comments. However I sorta doubt Disney is doing this because of complaints. They've been getting complaints forever and it's so seldom that things are changed for that. I don't want people to feel like they shouldn't voice their displeasure but we often think companies take those to heart far more than they do. I hear so many complaints about Genie+ and LL and they aren't doing much on that front either.
Disney isn't making this announcement. The link the poster gave is not from Disney, just a site. Disney has not made any change (yet at least) on their website.
I’m not sure I agree. I think hospitality companies do pay attention to market standards and guest satisfaction and complaints—it’s a pretty fundamental part of what they do! Now Disney of course has more wiggle room than others but if no other hotel was providing full housekeeping, I don’t think Disney would be too. The fact that many others are and that this is the type of service guests who pay expensive hotel rates generally expect is relevant IMO. I also saw It’s not technically announced yet but I assume all of these disney blogs/sources often have advance scoops (like DFB, etc). Is that not the case?

NYC has a much larger labor pool to draw from. They have roughly the same number of hotel rooms in New York City as they do in Orlando but with 30x the population.

Here's a piece of evidence that makes this all very clear in my eyes: DVC members staying on points didn't get daily housekeeping, even pre-COVID. But they were allowed to pay extra (in cash) to add full cleanings to their trip, and it wasn't cheap. Disney has eliminated this option. In a world of upcharges and add-on fees, Disney has *eliminated* this particular upcharge because they don't have the staff to support it.

Seriously? If Disney was able to offer this service before COVID, they should be able to offer it now. All of the housekeeping staff didn't magically disappear.

And the reality is that this is pretty gross to not offer this service. Hotels will turn into cesspools.

All of the housekeeping staff didn't magically disappear.

And the reality is that this is pretty gross to not offer this service. Hotels will turn into cesspools.

I agree that Disney could solve this if it truly wanted to spend the money. But actually, much of the housekeeping staff did "disappear." Much of the hospitality industry saw staff leave during the pandemic and move on to other career tracks, and who can blame them. Many are now working for better pay under better conditions in business areas with far less volatility.

I for one like daily Mousekeeping. When I'm on vacation I want someone to make my bed for me and to put out fresh towels. I like returning to my room with it as spiffy as the moment we checked in.

But in true Chapek "bean counting fashion," I worry it will only possibly return, and if it does, only at a premium price.

I’m not sure I agree. I think hospitality companies do pay attention to market standards and guest satisfaction and complaints—it’s a pretty fundamental part of what they do! Now Disney of course has more wiggle room than others but if no other hotel was providing full housekeeping, I don’t think Disney would be too. The fact that many others are and that this is the type of service guests who pay expensive hotel rates generally expect is relevant IMO. I also saw It’s not technically announced yet but I assume all of these disney blogs/sources often have advance scoops (like DFB, etc). Is that not the case?
Oh I think they pay attention but I don't think Disney does much in the name of "oh we heard tons of complaints so we changed our policies to appease those complaints". When guests, in enough numbers, don't purchase what Disney sells they tend to adjust more. But mere complaints even in great enough numbers? Not normally. I'm a big believer in giving feedback but I don't tend to think that changes are made just because I and others complained even in part. Me along with many others taking our business elsewhere on these very large companies tends to have the most effect. Disney doesn't care if people lambast them in public unless their bookings and ticket sales and merchandise sales are down so far with a PR nightmare. I'm with you on the contrast between hotels with their offerings, it's going to make people compare.

As for advanced scoops they often take what guests say from their recent experiences and compile that or do their own experiences, but my comment was because you said "If people had just kept quiet and assumed Disney had no control over it, I can’t imagine they’d be making this announcement." I guess I read that to mean you were saying Disney is taking ownership here and as of yet they have not.

This is silly. You’ve been the one saying that Disney *can’t* improve housekeeping because they have no people so it’s a bit strange to consider this update a vindication! The point is that Disney can actually provide better housekeeping services, as many people have been saying! And I’m sure this is in part a response to many many complaints about this issue. If people had just kept quiet and assumed Disney had no control over it, I can’t imagine they’d be making this announcement.
You're 100% wrong. They've been actively trying to fix it since the resorts reopened. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a fact. They didn't change their minds on anything. They were ALWAYS planning on bringing housekeeping back, it was only a matter of how quickly they could get their staffing levels back up. Any implication that they were deliberately dragging their feet or trying to get away with something is an unfounded conspiracy theory.

I agree that Disney could solve this if it truly wanted to spend the money. But actually, much of the housekeeping staff did "disappear." Much of the hospitality industry saw staff leave during the pandemic and move on to other career tracks, and who can blame them. Many are now working for better pay under better conditions in business areas with far less volatility.
Totally true as with several other industries food people one of them.

Some areas I think were hit harder than others (some due to political issues like visas and whatnot). When we were at the Encore in Vegas in December I saw 3 housekeeping staff on our floor daily but every day we were there (4 days) we saw the same glasses and plates on the floor by a few rooms, they were never picked up. I assume due to housekeeping being there the trash should have been picked up by someone else. That probably would lead to a slew of DISboard threads if that happened at Disney :upsidedow

All of the housekeeping staff didn't magically disappear.
Two Presidential administrations in a row have essentially shut down work visas. There's nothing magical about it, but yeah. The staff did disappear.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...delays-are-hurting-immigrant-workers-and-jobs
Hotels will turn into cesspools.
Do you understand that the cleaning they've been doing BETWEEN guests exceeds the standards they had pre-covid?

When I booked the Poly, a deluxe hotel at essentially rack rates, I can assure you it never crossed my mind that I’d have to worry about whether they’d help keep the room clean.
Right. Because when you booked, the world was completely different than it is now. And yet, you found the way to not only update your booking but post about it on a separate website. So, presumably, you're tech-savvy enough to be able to see, "Huh ... how has the world changed in 2 years." Presumably. You also know that Genie/Genie+ is implemented now (and wasn't in 2020), etc? Like ... are you expecting someone from Disney to come to your house and inform you of one thing while you blithely ignore it while still taking in information about all of the other changes? It just seems really ridiculous to me.

I’d like to keep this thread open if we can take things down a notch. A friendly reminder of DISBoard guidelines: https://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm.

Particularly , a couple of sections:

4. NO FIGHTING/SARCASM​
While we'd like to think that a Disney fan site is always lighthearted, there are times when there are disagreements. Let's face it, there are certain topics that can transform any of us into a raging "Donald Duck." When you sense this is happening, we ask that you step away from the discussion before it escalates into a fight. Just like Mom always said about fighting, we don't care who started the argument and we don't want it on the DIS. (Okay, she didn't say the part about the DIS, but you know what we mean.) No attacking others and no sarcasm please. Either will result in an infraction

And this part…
We do not believe in censorship, and open discussions about various issues is encouraged. When participating in a thread, we ask that everyone be treated with respect and that our guidelines be followed.

Thanks all.

But isn't disney as a whole wasteful? There are millions of things that are wasteful...take coffee shops. Seeing people drive to a store, letting engines running while waiting in the drive thru for $8 coffee/ Stay at home and use your keruig (which is also wasteful). Why go out to eat? Stay home and cook. Why redecorate is your kitchen is perfectly fine but still gold and /or avocado in color? We have DVC now, but I remember the feeling of ahhhhhhh when we walked into a room and the beds are made, towels are not damp, etc.
Yeah - you reiterated my point like a million times. I'm all for choosing to enjoy life. I'm not for being wasteful (why redecorate your kitchen when it's perfectly fine indeed ... ).
The reason people like to have beds made and meals cooked, they like to be pampered once in a while.
Like to? Ok. Demand ... that seems like something different. And if it's something you're demanding right now ... knowing it doesn't exist ... don't travel to the place where you know it doesn't exist!

I agree, the reason you are paying hundreds more is partly to location and size of room but also having all the extras. If Disney can't or won't do daily service or at least every other day , why isn't there a reduction in cost.

In a DVC room, we have a vaccumn and I don't use it for the whole room but for sure if a DGD ate toast and more crumbs are the floor than the tummy, I sure use it. What does one do in a resort room? You have a 18 month and their cup of cheerios went flying. Do you just live with crumbs underfoot for the rest of your stay?
1) Because you know you're not paying for that. Disney has made it really very clear.
2) Yeah, I clean up the cheerios (and there may be crumbs I can't get - but I get most of what I can). It's just what you do (why would you want to have those on the floor - or make someone else clean up your mess).

1) Because you know you're not paying for that. Disney has made it really very clear.
2) Yeah, I clean up the cheerios (and there may be crumbs I can't get - but I get most of what I can). It's just what you do (why would you want to have those on the floor - or make someone else clean up your mess).

I don't understand your last point.

You do realize that Disney's housekeeping hasn't changed at all since Sept. of 2020 right?
I thought they said they booked a trip for Sept 2020 (not in Sept 2020) - so, I realize I could have gotten that wrong. Regardless of when it was booked, there have been a number of changes to how things are done at Disney World (in particular) since Sept 2020. Further, Disney's well aware (and makes it clear in their T&C) that things may change between when someone may book a trip and take it (so, it's a little off-putting to suggest that Disney must do whatever they were doing regardless of how things may change between booking and visiting). How would new attractions or technology ever be implemented? If a ride is down in Sept 2020, does that mean Disney should keep it down when I visit two years later? No. Of course not - that's a little ridiculous to insinuate. Changes, while sometimes not ideal (but also sometimes can be beneficial), are going to happen (in a normal world, which has not been the world of the past two years). What else is the solution? Stop all bookings and close the parks to make changes? Or, inform people and allow them to decide to either continue with their trip or cancel it and do something else.

Disney isn't forcing anyone to come (let alone to stay in dangerous lodging while extorting them for money, or physically forcing them to pay more than the contracted amount). If you don't like how something has changed, you do have the right to choose something different (just as you have the right to complain about it - and the right exists for someone else to voice a different point of view). I recently went and there were plenty of things that I disliked or wished were different but at no point did I feel like a victim of what Disney was doing - I made the choice to go (knowing that certain things I enjoyed/preferred were not the way things were). And I knew that I could've chosen not to go (even as I had booked things that were non-refundable). Would I have liked for things to have been the way I hoped/planned/expected when the idea for a trip first arose? Of course. But I wasn't duped, tricked, deceived, or anything else.

As far as I know, Y & B always had daily housekeeping. Why is this article indicating the normal was every other day?? So IMO, still not quite back to normal. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Not sure what it has been recently, but when we stayed at YC in June 2021, we had every other day wiping down, removal of trash, refreshing of towels - no full cleaning or making of beds. Based on what I read at the time, we were lucky as some YC guests at that point said they had zero housekeeping.

What is interesting about the "announcement" that was posted earlier (not from an official WDW site), VGF had full housekeeping for cash-paying guests from at least October 2021.

If true, IMHO, there is a reason they would want to get full housekeeping up and running at GF and it is the same reason it is the only WDW resort with in-room dining currently. If they don't keep the level of amenities at a certain level, GF will, eventually, lose its current level of AAA diamond status. Also, the new VGF villas are opening very soon and they won't have to service the DVC rooms (paid with points), as often as they would service the regular rooms (which there will be less of).

You're 100% wrong. They've been actively trying to fix it since the resorts reopened. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a fact. They didn't change their minds on anything. They were ALWAYS planning on bringing housekeeping back, it was only a matter of how quickly they could get their staffing levels back up. Any implication that they were deliberately dragging their feet or trying to get away with something is an unfounded conspiracy theory.

Link to WDW announcement of full housekeeping coming back for all resorts? That's awesome news!

I agree with your frustration. We stayed last year in Gran Destino Tower on a cash reservation and the floor was a mess after a few days (especially now with no carpet to hide things LOL). Just came back from JW Marriott Nashville and their housekeeping was amazing. Cleaned the whole room daily, almost forgot how nice that is on a vacation! So it makes me wonder, is this just a cost-cutting measure at some places? Disney pays pretty well and has a union for housekeeping if I'm not mistaken. to OP: With the prices you pay at Disney, it is totally understandable to be upset for lack of housekeeping.

No matter how or where they post it, there is zero excuse for not cleaning the guest rooms at a Walt Disney World‘s Resort Hotel guest room.

Perhaps. But it is posted and well known among the WDW faithful. So knowing that and then complaining about it is just as bad(generally speaking not referring to OP). Book an off site hotel that has every day cleaning if thats important. Speak with your money if you want to see change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter