A complaint: lack of housekeeping

Not sure what it has been recently, but when we stayed at YC in June 2021, we had every other day wiping down, removal of trash, refreshing of towels - no full cleaning or making of beds. Based on what I read at the time, we were lucky as some YC guests at that point said they had zero housekeeping.

My point related to the frequency stated in the headline & body of the article. It stated that “Pre-Covid” level of housekeeping returned. Then in the article it said Y & B would get every other day housekeeping. My point is that “Pre-Covid”, Y & B got daily housekeeping. So thats not “Pre -Covid” levels, IMO. It’s an improvement over what it has been for sure. But it isn’t what it was prior to March 2020.

"Conspiracy peddling"? LOL. Do you find being rude to others here helps the dialog? Because I don't think it does, and yet you are consistently rude to others here.

"It has already returned." So you are saying daily housekeeping with full service has returned?
Yeah I don’t get this. I don’t think people thought it was a big conspiracy! It seems like people were frustrated that improving housekeeping service wasn’t being prioritized like expected, especially when they saw many other hotels were doing much better on this issue. Plus that Disney didn’t seem to be adjusting any prices given the lower service. Those seemed to be the main beefs as far as I could tell! That’s not conspiratorial thinking. For me at least, housekeeping is one of the things that can make hotels more appealing than airbnbs. There are a lot less convenient aspects about paying for hotels IMO (smaller space, reduced ability to prepare own meals, etc) but pros are usually more convenience to stuff and that someone helps keeps the place clean while you’re out!

Yeah I don’t get this. I don’t think people thought it was a big conspiracy! It seems like people were frustrated that improving housekeeping service wasn’t being prioritized like expected, especially when they saw many other hotels were doing much better on this issue. Plus that Disney didn’t seem to be adjusting any prices given the lower service. Those seemed to be the main beefs as far as I could tell! That’s not conspiratorial thinking. For me at least, housekeeping is one of the things that can make hotels more appealing than airbnbs. There are a lot less convenient aspects about paying for hotels IMO (smaller space, reduced ability to prepare own meals, etc) but pros are usually more convenience to stuff and that someone helps keeps the place clean while you’re out!
The conspiracy theory is that Disney did this on purpose as a secret scheme to save money. People refuse to acknowledge the reality on the ground despite almost daily articles from every major media outlet about the nationwide labor shortage.

The conspiracy theory is that Disney did this on purpose as a secret scheme to save money. People refuse to acknowledge the reality on the ground despite almost daily articles from every major media outlet about the nationwide labor shortage.
I don’t understand—is the contention that Disney is not interested in saving money by skimping on housekeeping? I thought their pre-Covid policy of offering gift cards for declining housekeeping made that pretty evident! Reduction of housekeeping is a pretty straightforward way of reducing costs—I don’t think this is a secret.

At SOME of the resorts. That is hardly “returned” in my book.
There's no magic switch. If it takes 25% staffing levels to even open a resort at the bare minimum and 100% staffing levels to have daily housekeeping back at all resorts, there's going to be a transition period when they're ramping up at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90%.

People are talking like recruiting, hiring, and training are instantaneous.

I don’t understand—is the contention that Disney is not interested in saving money by skimping on housekeeping?
The contention is that Disney is not interested in saving money by removing housekeeping as a basic service included with everyone's hotel stay unless they opt-out.

I thought their pre-Covid policy of offering gift cards for declining housekeeping made that pretty evident!
The two have nothing to do with one another.

Reduction of housekeeping is a pretty straightforward way of reducing costs—I don’t think this is a secret.
Closing Epcot would be a pretty straightforward way of reducing costs too. That doesn't mean they want to.

I am wondering how the drastically reduced room cleaning is hitting the mousekeepers in the pocket but seemingly not WDW. I doubt if most people are tipping well, if at all, for the current level of service. That doesn't hurt WDW at all but I imagine it does impact $17/hr employees in Orlando, FL.

I am wondering how the drastically reduced room cleaning is hitting the mousekeepers in the pocket but seemingly not WDW. I doubt if most people are tipping well, if at all, for the current level of service. That doesn't hurt WDW at all but I imagine it does impact $17/hr employees in Orlando, FL.
We tipped on our trip 2 weeks ago at the BWI. We did get it every day.

There's no magic switch. If it takes 25% staffing levels to even open a resort at the bare minimum and 100% staffing levels to have daily housekeeping back at all resorts, there's going to be a transition period when they're ramping up at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90%.

People are talking like recruiting, hiring, and training are instantaneous.

Who said there was a "magic switch"? I certainly didn't.

I understand these things take time. But I also know that Disney has been squeezing guests at every turn. I am certain that the labor market is price sensitive, and that Disney could--if it was willing--accelerate a return to normalcy by attracting more hires in the short term with aggressive hiring bonuses and increased pay. But they have chosen not to, and from the crowds I saw in the parks all last week, they have no financial reason to. And from my outside perspective, financial decisions are guiding Disney parks more than at any time in the last quarter century plus.

What I challenged you on was your response "It already has returned. Your conspiracy-peddling is a day behind the breaking news." in response to my post that "I for one like daily Mousekeeping. When I'm on vacation I want someone to make my bed for me and to put out fresh towels. I like returning to my room with it as spiffy as the moment we checked in."

When we were there in February we saw no housekeeping people. We did have our DND on the door so we expected no cleaning in our room but still we saw nothing happening anywhere else at POR. The carts with towels and such were still on the build ramps so we assume they were cleaning.

Why do people have to argue and be rude when the thread is clearly titled as a gripe thread? It’s like someone read the title and was like “oh hell no I’m not letting anyone complain on my watch let me spend 30 minutes telling this person why their feelings are wrong and they are stupid”. It’s so much easier to just skip the thread, for everyone involved. Yeah yeah internet and everyone has an opinion I get it, but yeesh some people are not happy with Disney and this is where they come to vent. Why attack them?

I am certain that the labor market is price sensitive, and that Disney could--if it was willing--accelerate a return to normalcy by attracting more hires in the short term with aggressive hiring bonuses and increased pay. But they have chosen not to.
None of that is correct. They have absolutely offered aggressive hiring bonuses and they have also increased wages across the board, both for new hires and existing staff. That's the only reason they've been even to make the little progress they have. But there are limits. They're not going to pay housekeepers $90,000 just so you get your bed made every night.

Why do people have to argue and be rude when the thread is clearly titled as a gripe thread? It’s like someone read the title and was like “oh hell no I’m not letting anyone complain on my watch let me spend 30 minutes telling this person why their feelings are wrong and they are stupid”. It’s so much easier to just skip the thread, for everyone involved. Yeah yeah internet and everyone has an opinion I get it, but yeesh some people are not happy with Disney and this is where they come to vent. Why attack them?
People are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts.

"I don't like Animal Kingdom Lodge because the rooms are too dark" is an opinion that I disagree with. "I don't like Animal Kingdom Lodge because the walls in the guest rooms are blue" is a falsehood.

"Disney hasn't raised wages," "Disney could have all the housekeepers they want if they chose to," "Disney never told me that I wouldn't get daily housekeeping," and "Disney plans on eliminating daily housekeeping all together and are just using COVID as an excuse" are falsehoods.

I'm not invested in this fight at all, but I do recall Disney putting out ads for employment in the Tallahassee area and that is definitely not near Orlando. So, I do think there is an issue with getting people for these particular jobs. Perhaps they don't pay well enough like other hotels that have better housekeeping or something like that - but it is true that the labor market has drastically changed over the last 2 years. There are a variety of reasons for that change. Perhaps that is part of this issue with housekeeping?

None of that is correct. They have absolutely offered aggressive hiring bonuses and they have also increased wages across the board, both for new hires and existing staff. That's the only reason they've been even to make the little progress they have. But there are limits. They're not going to pay housekeepers $90,000 just so you get your bed made every night.

People are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts.

"I don't like Animal Kingdom Lodge because the rooms are too dark" is an opinion that I disagree with. "I don't like Animal Kingdom Lodge because the walls in the guest rooms are blue" is a falsehood.

"Disney hasn't raised wages," "Disney could have all the housekeepers they want if they chose to," "Disney never told me that I wouldn't get daily housekeeping," and "Disney plans on eliminating daily housekeeping all together and are just using COVID as an excuse" are falsehoods.

Yes, a lot of times when people make angry posts they are exaggerating a little bit, fudging the details a little bit, misremembering a little bit, but in the end, they are upset and airing their grievances. While it's likely half true that Disney can't find more housekeepers overnight, that doesn't change the fact that this person was unhappy with the lack of housekeeping on their trip and wanted to complain, because that's what people do when they are upset. Nobody needs to be the champion of truth and defender of Disney in every thread, it's good to let people have their moment to get stuff off their chest. Yes, Disney gets a lot of stuff thrown at it, most deserved, some not, but they are a big company and I'm sure their feelings aren't getting hurt. There's a quote in the Big Lebowski where Lebowski is talking to Walter (sorry had it wrong), you may know it, and it applies here perfectly.

Thanks for this, I totally agree. OP’s initial post is actually pretty mild—it relayed their specific experience and said they were disappointed because they didn’t realize housekeeping was so poor, and that it compared unfavorably to other recently visited hotels. To immediately try to dismiss OP’s opinion by saying they should’ve known and that they were informed several times about this (when OP said they specifically weren’t!) was surprising to me. I know from my end at least, I don’t have any info about housekeeping in my confirmation emails and I only read about it online after I had booked the hotel.

Last edited:
Did you get housekeeping daily because you tipped? Or did every room get housekeeping?
I can't imagine tipping when services are lacking or non-existant.
Currently club level rooms are getting daily housekeeping. She posted it prior. I also have had cl says and daily cleaning is nice but I sure miss the whole thing. I especially miss turn down! Chocolates and bed turned down, trash taken, I was willing to pay for that. Now I have moved to mods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter