A dinner review of Raglan Road

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Charmed by the prospect of some good beer and interested from reading the reviews on the Boards, we decided to give Raglan Road a try this trip. Since a local irish pub (An Poitin Stil) in Baltimore County is a spot I like, I figured we could hardly go wrong with this Irish spot.
Our ADR's were set for 7:30 on Thursday night... I wasn't sure what time the entertainment started, so I figured 7:30 would be in the ballpark. Turns out it was. The Irish combo stared playing at 8:00, and the Irish dancer made her apperance about 10 minutes later. The combo consisted of 3 fellows playing a fiddle (and other small instruments)--mostly lively Irish tunes. The dancer would step out on a small platform in the middle of the floor and do some of those "Riverdance" like steps. She would perform for a minute or two, then leave. She'd come back again after several minutes, do another minute's worth of dancing, then leave again. All pretty entertaining--the combo played for almost an hour without a break and just seemed like they were getting warmed up for the rest of the evening!!

The beer list got my immediate attention and I was pleased to see that they also had two "tasting" type beer offerings. The "flight" I got included Boddingtons, Smithwicks, Stella Artois, and Tucher Weizen. The portions were pretty large for such a tasting--they were even able to fit a lemon in the Weizen glass!! I didn't much care for the Boddingtons or Stella. Smithwicks was good--but the prospect of Weizen on draft proved too much. I switched to the Weizen for the rest of the meal. Should add that these "flights" are served on a long, flat wooden holder with four spaces for the glasses. Took up quite a bit of room on the table--

For appetizers, we decided to go for something on the menu described as serving "two persons". We ordered the "Pint of Prawns" which turned out to be six average size steamed shrimp. I could have pretty much polished them off myself, so be aware that it might NOT be enough for two hungry people. They were OK, but nothing to write home about.
One of our entrees was also just OK--the Fish and Chips. Which, of course, turned out to be what I ordered!! Served in a cone-type affair, they dump them out on a plate for you as they serve them. Proved to be two average size peices of fish and a handful of fries. Even with vinegar, they were nothing above anything I'd ever had at Arthur Treachers. Perfectly ordinary in every way. NOT ordinary however was Mrs U's choice--Kevins Kudos, which is oven roasted loin of bacon with braised cabbage and creamed potatoes. I was sort of expecting the taste to be like--well--bacon. Breakfast bacon. But not so. This reminded me very much of Canadian Bacon in it's look and taste. Very lean, tender, and delicious!! (And yes--Mrs U took pity on me and was kind enough to share).
For dessert we decided to try the Bread and Butter pudding--described on the menu as "Not like any Bread Pudding you ever had". Indeed. This was delicious--almost the consistancy of a good souffle and served in a souffle-style cup. A generous portion, it was hands down the best dessert of the trip.

Service throughout the meal was excellent. The place was quite full by the time we left, and I should note there were a LOT of children in the restaurant--some even sitting at the bar with their parents. The restaurant is very pretty and has the look and feel of a real Irish Pub. If I had anything to complain about, it would be the size of the portions--but next time I'll just order one of the "'For Two" appetizers for myself. And there will be a next time-Raglan Road is on our list for May.

Great review..DH and I love Ragland Road (we've been to Ireland twice and visit pubs every day while we are there).
I have to recommend the Colpucinno as a starter and bangers and mash as an entree for your next visit.
We also have what we call our Holy Trinity at every visit to Ragland Road- a Smithwicks, a Guinness and a shot of Jameson's.

Interesting. We ate there in January and were unimpressed with the loin of bacon. Ours was much like really dry, tough ham. We didn't hate it, but probably wouldn't get it again.

As far as appetizers I enjoyed the Goat's Town (which is a whole heck of a lot of goat cheese...if you're not a huge goat cheese lover I'd split it, but if you are, have fun!) and was underwhelmed by the crabcake in pastry thing.

At this point we don't have plans to return to Raglan Road. Our meal overall was so-so and we were given a booth by the door that left us feeling like we weren't even quite there...not a part of the whole ambiance of the place. But maybe someday we'll give it another shot if we keep seeing good reviews.

Thanks for posting - we are going to be having dinner at Raglan next month.

I'm curious about the Tucher Weizen you mentioned - is that similar to a Heifeweizen (pardon my spelling if that's incorrect) ? I'm a big fan of Boddie's but I love Heifeweizens. :thumbsup2

I was already eyeing that bread and butter pudding on the dessert menu and your description has pretty much clinched it for me - it sounds wonderful!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the review! All these raves for the bread pudding really have me wondering! I have to go try it :)

Thanks for your review - great as always. I'm glad you had good service. We ate there in January and service was not great.

Thanks for sharing your review. We're trying Raglan Road in January and the flight of beer sounds like a perfect compliment to my meal! :drinking1

Thanks for the review. The bread pudding sounds good. We ate there last December and my only complaint would be that the size of the portions are quite small for the price you pay. The beer sampler sounds like a great idea. :)

oybolshoi:
It is a Heffeweizen. I'd say it's a "strong" tasting one compared to some I've had. But just finding it on draft was a delight. At several of the places I frequent here at home (including the An Poitin Stil that I mentioned) the Heffeweizen --once available on draft--is gone.

Uncleromulus said:
oybolshoi:
It is a Heffeweizen. I'd say it's a "strong" tasting one compared to some I've had. But just finding it on draft was a delight. At several of the places I frequent here at home (including the An Poitin Stil that I mentioned) the Heffeweizen --once available on draft--is gone.

Excellent! I'm sure the hubby and I will try the sampler but I think I know what I'm going to have as a chaser! :teeth:

We live near "the Stil", and enjoy going there. Thanks for the review, we will check it out next trip. Nancy

Excellent review.
I had the loin of bacon, which I thought was very good as well, but my wife had the planxty, which was even better. Your review confirms for me the things I have been reading about the bread pudding. I will have to try that (and my favorite dessert the Baileys cream pot) in a few weeks.

Keep the reviews coming....

Enjoyed your review as always. We dined at RR last week too and I agree about the size of the appetizers. I also wish had chosen Kevin Kudos instead of the fish and chips. I'd had Kevins Kudos last trip and it is so good! It does taste like Canadian bacon to me as well except a nice slab of it instead of the slices I'm accustomed to around here.

Did your server extend the handle of the wooden server for the beer flight off the end of the table? Ours did although we were seated in a cuddle so that provided some extra room for it. We also dined earlier than you and it wasn't overly busy that early.

Thanks for the review of Raglan, Uncleromulus. Most of the reviews have been consistently good so i will keep this place in mind as a dining choice.

BCV23:
As near as I can recall, the wooden server was on the table and none of it sticking off. Was long tho and very little room on either end before it would have stuck out. I do think the entertainment is responsible for the larger crowds later on--

Thanks for the review - we will be dining there on Thursday and i was a little worried about the food selections.

Will be trying the Bread & Butter Pudding for sure sounds like the bread pudding my mom used to make for us when we were kids.

Uncleromulus said:
Since a local irish pub (An Poitin Stil) in Baltimore County is a spot I like,

Oh my gosh! I couldn't eve get through the rest of your review, I saw the mention of the Stil and I got so excited!! I went to college just down the road from there and it was one of our favorite places! I miss hanging out there for St. Patricks day :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter