A Jolly Holiday with Masseys: THE TRIP REPORT - WDW Dec2019

Merry Eve of Christmas Eve Everyone!

Do y'all wish people a Merry Christmas Eve? We do, so that makes today Merry Eve of Christmas Eve. Is everyone ready for Christmas? Are we ever ready for Christmas? I will say I'm feeling more ready this year than in years past, especially compared to last year when we were still trying to recover from this trip that I'm still trying to report on. I will say that Covid has really made us slow down. We're not rushing around as much or doing as much. Of course part of that means we're not gathering with friends and family as much as we have in the past. Our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will be spent with Michelle and her family. I'm thankful to have close family near us that we consider part of our pod, there are lots of others that are not near to family that can be part of their pod.

Anyone else have any trips planned? Guess what? We do! I really wanted to get one more trip out of my annual pass since it expires May 10th. Danielle really wants to go back and Dennis wants to go but doesn't want to be as restricted as we were in October. I'm really hoping the vaccine will help the World to heal and more to open up. Right now it seems we're in the dark before the light. I'm thinking good thoughts for our next trip because it doesn't start until May 1st and it's a quick in and out. We're going to celebrate Danielle's college graduation. We celebrated her High School graduation in WDW so it makes sense to celebrate her college graduation there. She finishes with exams April 30th or possibly May 1st and won't walk until May 7th or 8th. Dennis got a PIN code on his old email, so not fair since I have NEVER gotten a PIN code. I couldn't book it online, it gave me an error message so I had to call. The CM could not match it to any address I gave her, but it did match his email and our old home phone number, for some reason the address was showing a New Jersey address . She had to put me on hold to get someone with Guest Relation to over ride the system so she could quote and book it. Dennis is trilled that he FINALLY has a trip booked in his name, whatever. Dennis wants to stay on the skyliner and he gave me a budget for the room. I asked for quotes for POP, Caribbean & Coronado (we were suppose to stay there back in April). POP had the best price but Caribbean wasn't to much more than my given budget so of course I used fuzzy Disney math and booked Caribbean. We have never stayed there and I want to give it a try. I booked a standard 5th sleeper since that was what was offered for the code. We're planning to drive down on May 1st and be in the parks for 4 days then drive back. I have my AP and Danielle has 4 passes earned from when she was DCP that allows her to get one other person in. I was told by the CM that the dining plan would be offered again in 2021 so booked it as a basic package so we can add dining. I'm waiting to see if they release an AP discount and if it's a better price. I was scared to tell Michelle what we did since JP's birthday is May 8th. While I was on the phone with her telling her she was pulling up WDW site looking at what it would cost for them to go. She is still only looking but she said she had no problem being in Disney that close to JP's birthday.

Tuesday, December 17th-MK I Want All the Treats!
I know it's been a long time since we got an update on this trip and I left everyone hanging with the start of MVMCP. I was really hoping Michelle could do an update but life has been too busy for her, so I'm going to move forward.

I left off with the start of the party. We had plans to try and catch as much of the entertainment as we could but our priority was the fireworks and the parade. We also wanted to get as many treats as possible and try some of the food just offered for the party. Let's see how we did.

After viewing the beautifully lighted castle we headed to Cosmic Rays to get some treats and catch the dance party. We got our peppermint cookies and some got the apple cider and some got the hot chocolate. I know I had the apple cider since it was way to hot for hot chocolate. We also watched the polar bears dancing for a bit and let me tell you they could MOVE. John Paul loved doing cheers with the drinks and did it for every drink we got.

I'm so terrible with selfies. I just don't know where to look.

We wanted to catch the Reindeer Wranglers in Frontierland so we headed that way by going through Fantasyland. We stopped in Pinocchio Village Haus for our snickerdoodle cookies, Fanta and hot chocolate for Dennis.

We were still trying to get as many treats as possible before stopping for entertainment so we headed to the Diamond Horseshoe for chocolate chip cookies, eggnog & applesauce packets. The line was out the door but it moved real fast. While waiting we were visited by the Country Bears.

I actually has some of the eggnog and it was okay. We missed the 7:15 Reindeer Wranglers so we decided to head towards the Jingle Cruise with a stop at Tortuga Tavern. John Paul learned fast that treats could be found where these were.

It was starting to sprinkle so we parked Dennis with the stroller and all our stuff while we ran to get the Molasses cookie at Jungle Cruise and the snowman pretzel and more Fanta at Tortuga Tavern. I snapped a quick picture of Pirates on our way to the tavern.

While we were in line for our treats the sky opened up and the rain just came pouring down. . .really hard. Everyone was running for cover so we were lucky we were already inside. Some very nice Florida AP holders shared their table with us while we waiting for the rain to slack up. Dennis ended up having to move once the pouring stared to get better coverage. He ended up right across from where we left him in an area that had garbage cans, but at least he was dry. We had to wait the rain out because I was the only one with a poncho on me. Michelle and Danielle had rain gear but it was in the stroller with Dennis. We did get our pretzels which had to be eaten then. John Paul was entertained by watching YouTube on my phone.

Continued in next post. . . .

December 17th -MK MVMCP "Now I Won't Get All My Da** Treats"

It took awhile but the rain finally slacked off a little, not much but a little. We decided it was time to make a dash to Dennis to see what could be saved of the party. It had rained so hard and so much that our shoes were instantly soaked as soon as we stepped out of the Tavern. While we were making our way to Dennis we heard some of the frustrations others were feeling when a lady proclaimed very loudly "Now I Won't Get All My Da** Treats!" We got a real good laugh out of that. We found Dennis and everyone put on their rain gear. It was only 8:15 but it was looking like the Party had come to a complete stop thanks to the weather. Michelle expressed out sadness.

But we had to make the best of it.

Michelle didn't have her stroller cover to we used some ponchos and borrowed some garbage can liners to cover the stroller.

We slowly made our way to the front of the park and did what everyone else was doing, shopped. It was so crowded in the Emporium but I didn't want to leave without something. I ended up getting the Christmas party raglan and a pin. I wanted the ornament but they were sold old. Michelle had racked up before the party even started at Storybook Circus. I can't remember if we got anything else that night. It was still raining and they had already cancelled the first parade and all current shows. As we were walking out there was a very long line at Guest Relations. The party had been cancelled. We were handed a card as we left advising that we were given a 1 day park admission due to the cancellation. We took the card and kept walking. We should have gotten in the line. We were all given a one day pass but we did not get it prioritized so the next day that free day was used when we entered Animal Kingdom. It didn't matter that I had an AP or that the others still had several days left on the tickets. It ended up being a mess but in the end we did get it cleared up. We were back to the room a lot earlier than we ever thought we would be so we made plans to go to AK in the morning for rope drop.

We didn't get to really experience the party. We didn't see the shows, fireworks, parade or get all the treats but we did have fun while we were there. I would really like a redo someday in the future.

My step count for this day was 23,706.

Up next is our only day in Animal Kingdom.

Do y'all wish people a Merry Christmas Eve?
Actually... no. But I'll say "Merry Christmas" or "Joyeux Noel" (depending who I'm saying it to) on Christmas Eve. Prior to that I'll say "Have a Merry Christmas" to co-workers leading up to Christmas on the last day(s) that I see them.
Is everyone ready for Christmas? Are we ever ready for Christmas?
Actually... I think I am. Have a little bit of pre-cooking today but that's it.
I will say that Covid has really made us slow down.
Oh, yes. Definitely. My folks live 5 minutes away, but we won't be able to spend time together this year.
Anyone else have any trips planned?
Nope. Nothing. But I am cautiously starting to think about September for an Alaskan cruise, possibly. This year's cruise was canceled, but... maybe?
I'm really hoping the vaccine will help the World to heal and more to open up.
Oh, Lord. I sure hope so.
We're going to celebrate Danielle's college graduation.
Very nice! :)
Dennis got a PIN code on his old email, so not fair since I have NEVER gotten a PIN code.
:laughing: Sorry!
Dennis is trilled that he FINALLY has a trip booked in his name, whatever.
:rotfl:
Dennis wants to stay on the skyliner
Won't it be hard to sleep when it's constantly moving like that?
booked Caribbean. We have never stayed there and I want to give it a try.
Hope you like it. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
We're planning to drive down
About a 10 hour drive, right?
She is still only looking but she said she had no problem being in Disney that close to JP's birthday.
"looking" turns into planning real quick. :)

We decided it was time to make a dash to Dennis to see what could be saved of the party.
One should always make a Dennis dash.
It had rained so hard and so much that our shoes were instantly soaked as soon as we stepped out of the Tavern.
Ew. I hate that feeling. Yuck
"Now I Won't Get All My Da** Treats!"
:lmao:
Oh, no!!!

:laughing:
Michelle didn't have her stroller cover to we used some ponchos and borrowed some garbage can liners to cover the stroller.
Smart!
We were handed a card as we left advising that we were given a 1 day park admission due to the cancellation.
Not bad, but... I'd rather have another party pass. Especially if you have an AP.
We were all given a one day pass but we did not get it prioritized so the next day that free day was used when we entered Animal Kingdom. It didn't matter that I had an AP or that the others still had several days left on the tickets. It ended up being a mess but in the end we did get it cleared up.
I remember you saying something about that earlier. Glad you got it sorted in the end.
We didn't get to really experience the party. We didn't see the shows, fireworks, parade or get all the treats but we did have fun while we were there. I would really like a redo someday in the future.
Definitely need a redo!

Actually... no. But I'll say "Merry Christmas" or "Joyeux Noel" (depending who I'm saying it to) on Christmas Eve. Prior to that I'll say "Have a Merry Christmas" to co-workers leading up to Christmas on the last day(s) that I see them.

I like your tradition for wishing a Merry Christmas to all.

Actually... I think I am. Have a little bit of pre-cooking today but that's it.

Did you find it easier to get ready this year?

Oh, yes. Definitely. My folks live 5 minutes away, but we won't be able to spend time together this year.

:hug:

Nope. Nothing. But I am cautiously starting to think about September for an Alaskan cruise, possibly. This year's cruise was canceled, but... maybe?

Fingers crossed it works out for you.

Won't it be hard to sleep when it's constantly moving like that?

:rotfl2:I'm going to have to use this the next time he states he "wants to stay on the skyliner".

Hope you like it. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I don't think you liked it? I'm hoping it gets higher marks not that it has the skyliner as an option for transporation.

About a 10 hour drive, right?

Without stops, yes.

"looking" turns into planning real quick. :)

We'll see, only time time tell.

One should always make a Dennis dash.

:lmao:

Ew. I hate that feeling. Yuck

Me too! Wet socks and shoes are the worse. I think Danielle was the only one in shoes that were ok to be wet.

That was Dennis' Boy Scout training coming out.

Not bad, but... I'd rather have another party pass. Especially if you have an AP.

I think you could use if for another Christmas Party but we didn't have time in our schedule for that. I did ask if I could use if for the Halloween Party but was told no.

Definitely need a redo!

Yes we do!

So glad you have another trip planned! And what a bummer about the party. Hopefully someday you'll get your redo!

I like your tradition for wishing a Merry Christmas to all.
Oh, sure.

Except Bob in accounting. He's horrid.

Okay, I just made that up.
Did you find it easier to get ready this year?
Yes and no.
In some ways it seemed a lot less rushed... until it came down to crunch time, then it seemed just as insane as ever.
Fingers crossed it works out for you.
For all of us!
:rotfl2:I'm going to have to use this the next time he states he "wants to stay on the skyliner".
:thumbsup2
I don't think you liked it? I'm hoping it gets higher marks not that it has the skyliner as an option for transporation.
I've never stayed there. It looks so huge!
But... who knows? Maybe I'd love it. Especially with the skyliner there now.
Me too! Wet socks and shoes are the worse. I think Danielle was the only one in shoes that were ok to be wet.
So... one of you was planning ahead.
I think you could use if for another Christmas Party but we didn't have time in our schedule for that. I did ask if I could use if for the Halloween Party but was told no
Not surprised.

So glad you have another trip planned! And what a bummer about the party. Hopefully someday you'll get your redo!

We're excited to have another trip planned too. It' nice to have something to look forward to.

When I think about what we missed I get sad but then I remember what we did get to do. I would still like another shot at the party.

Oh, sure.

Except Bob in accounting. He's horrid.

Okay, I just made that up.

:rolleyes:

In some ways it seemed a lot less rushed... until it came down to crunch time, then it seemed just as insane as ever.

I felt the same way. I wasn't rushed until I was trying to get Christmas Dinner done.

For all of us!

Most definitely!

I've never stayed there. It looks so huge!
But... who knows? Maybe I'd love it. Especially with the skyliner there now.

It does look huge. I remember passing over it when stayed at POP. We really like PORS so I think it's bigger. We're booked standard 5th sleeper and the only building for that is Aruba and Jamaica, both are close to Skyliner stations. I'm also hoping to walk over to the Riveria to look around and maybe grab some food.

So... one of you was planning ahead.

Actually I went back and looked at pictures, I had on my "get wet" sandals too. Grumpy and Michelle were the ones with wet socks and shoes. Grumpy does not like wet feet.

Not surprised.

Me either.

I felt the same way. I wasn't rushed until I was trying to get Christmas Dinner done.
Ditto.
But also baking. Had to still fit that in between work.
It does look huge. I remember passing over it when stayed at POP. We really like PORS so I think it's bigger. We're booked standard 5th sleeper and the only building for that is Aruba and Jamaica, both are close to Skyliner stations. I'm also hoping to walk over to the Riveria to look around and maybe grab some food.
I think if you stayed in a building that was close to skyliner/food/busses... if such a place exists, you'd have a pretty good stay.
Grumpy does not like wet feet.
Gotta go with other Disney characters for that. Like... ducks.

Ditto.
But also baking. Had to still fit that in between work.

What did you bake?

I think if you stayed in a building that was close to skyliner/food/busses... if such a place exists, you'd have a pretty good stay.

I've been reading the thread for CBR. The suggestion is for Aruba 51 or Jamaica 45.

Gotta go with other Disney characters for that. Like... ducks.

Donald Duck would be perfect for him.

What did you bake?
I don't have time to do a lot. I think I did... 5 batches of shortbread. Kay decorated one batch (photo to follow) the rest were chocolate dipped.
And one batch of soft gingerbread.
I've been reading the thread for CBR. The suggestion is for Aruba 51 or Jamaica 45.
Love those threads. Always good info there.
Donald Duck would be perfect for him.
::yes::
But he then has to talk like him.

I don't have time to do a lot. I think I did... 5 batches of shortbread. Kay decorated one batch (photo to follow) the rest were chocolate dipped.
And one batch of soft gingerbread.

These all sound so good! Did you share some with your parents?

::yes::
But he then has to talk like him.

He's not good at that, but Michelle does a good Donald imperssonation.

My chocolate dipped shortbread:
1E0D1F68-40CA-4C58-99F2-67A725106E32.jpeg

I want one now.

Kay's decorated shortbread:
C92C1B3F-80C3-48A9-8A8D-A3D33325EF76.jpeg

This is really good! I'm very impressed. We decorate cookies every year and Kay would fit it really well.

Also made my first Yule Log.
39EFA857-DEE8-41DB-8E98-E0A419463B55.jpeg

Looks good.

Here is Dennis's Yule Log cookie.

These all sound so good! Did you share some with your parents?
Of course! That's a Christmas gift to them. And my sister, too.
But this year I delivered them early, so more of a pre-Christmas gift.
He's not good at that, but Michelle does a good Donald imperssonation.
Really! I'll have to remember that and ask her to demonstrate if we should ever meet.
I want one now.
Yes you do. ;)
This is really good! I'm very impressed. We decorate cookies every year and Kay would fit it really well.
She's much better with artistic talent than her father.
Here is Dennis's Yule Log cookie.
What is on top? It looks so different!

Finally caught up this morning!! I've been away from the Dis for too long - I think since before our trip in November. The holidays were busy (though a lot quieter this year) and work has been overwhelming. But so glad to be back and hearing more about your Christmas trip!

I haven't been to Columbia Harbor House for a while - miss the Lighthouse sandwich - have to check if that's still on the menu. And oh, the blue sky in your pictures :lovestruc - it's been very gray here for the last few weeks and I'm longing for some Florida sunshine!

Your Thanksgiving table looks amazing - this was my first year ever making Thanksgiving dinner, and it was just for the five of us, but it turned out pretty well. My stuffing needs work though.

So exciting that you're planning another trip in May :cool1: there's nothing like springtime at Disney. I currently have a trip planned for early February, but am not sure if I'll keep it - the room rates were unbelievable at that time, so I booked just three nights at the Yacht Club - never stayed there and think we'd love the ease of walking to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Also, just saw the menus for the Festival of the Arts, and they look amazing!

I'm so sorry you got rained out on your Christmas party night!! Looks like you had a great time for the first part at least. John Paul is so cute in his Christmas jammies. Looks like they really stepped up the snacks - my oldest and I went several years ago (I think 12 years ago?!?!? he was 11 at the time, and he's now 23 so I guess so - oh my gosh where has the time gone :faint:) Anyway, at that time you got sugar cookies and hot cocoa at every stop!

Can't wait to hear more - and Happy New Year!

Pretty and so festive!
Awww, love this shot! And his jammies!
How cute is that thing?!
we heard some of the frustrations others were feeling when a lady proclaimed very loudly "Now I Won't Get All My Da** Treats!"
LOL!! Ok, yeah that's funny!
The party had been cancelled. We were handed a card as we left advising that we were given a 1 day park admission due to the cancellation.
Awww, shoot. But at least they compensated nicely!
We were all given a one day pass but we did not get it prioritized so the next day that free day was used when we entered Animal Kingdom.

This is starting to sound complicated and messy. :(
It ended up being a mess but in the end we did get it cleared up.

YAY!!! But kinda a hassle for sure.

Vanessa, I've been off the Boards for the most part for ever so long. I miss everyone and the fun interactions here. I'll try to stay caught up a bit better, but it's good to be back reading again and seeing everyone's sweet faces. Hope you are well, and Happy New Year!

Of course! That's a Christmas gift to them. And my sister, too.
But this year I delivered them early, so more of a pre-Christmas gift.

Great gift and pre-Christmas is even better, more time to eat them.

Really! I'll have to remember that and ask her to demonstrate if we should ever meet.

Yes you do.

She's much better with artistic talent than her father.

She is very talented!

What is on top? It looks so different!

Basically Dennis cut off part of a cookie, added brown icing and brown sprinkles. The very top is a tiny bit of green icing and red candy balls, it is a holly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter