A Jolly Holiday with Masseys: THE TRIP REPORT - WDW Dec2019

Can you guess who Gia is?
I knew who she was immediatly! That was one of my favorite movies back in the day!

I don't think this is something I would do every trip but it's a nice break on a unhurried trip
I totally agree. We have only done it once, but would def do it again if it was really busy or just wanted to get away from the crowds.

Any guesses where we are?
That is our "secret spot"!!!!! Those spots are the best.

I have a habit of trying to tell all the CMs that Danielle was there to start her DCP. I know I embarrassed her many times on this trip and on our December trip.
Ha! As every mom should!

I knew who she was immediatly! That was one of my favorite movies back in the day!

So happy you got it! She was so thrilled when someone got her costume.

I totally agree. We have only done it once, but would def do it again if it was really busy or just wanted to get away from the crowds.

:thumbsup2

That is our "secret spot"!!!!! Those spots are the best.

You're the one that inspired me to look for it.

Ha! As every mom should!

Yep! You have many more years to embarrass your girls.

Hello Everybody!

I'm so sorry I haven't been on the boards. I had last week off but was so busy at home I never had a chance to get on. I hope everyone had a safe and Happy Thanksgiving. We had a real small Thanksgiving which was fine with me. I hated not seeing more family but I'm glad we were safer. I cooked so I had plenty to do.

This was the food table.

Adult table.

And the kid table.

The Sunday before Thanksgiving was my birthday. Dennis, Danielle, her boyfriend and I spent the day at the Renaissance Festival.

I also did something I've never done before, put up Christmas before Thanksgiving. I had the tree decorated and the Livingroom by November 15th. I think we all need a little Christmas Cheer.

Michelle started back at an office job this week. I'm hoping she does and update soon but if now I have something I'm work on.

Please don't go away. We have lots more to share.

I hope everyone had a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
Neither. That was two months ago.

:rolleyes:
This was the food table.
Looks both very pretty and very yummy!
If it's not too much of an imposition, could you say what the non-dessert items are? I pretty much don't recognize anything.
The Sunday before Thanksgiving was my birthday.
What?!?!? Well happy belated birthday! :cake:
I also did something I've never done before, put up Christmas before Thanksgiving.
I'm okay with this. Normally I'm a staunch "No Christmas decorations until Dec 1st!"...
But two things have changed my mind.
1. (Obviously) Covid. We just can use a little extra cheer this year.
2. Last year. Due to my schedule, getting the decorations (especially the tree) up in a timely manner after November had a lot of challenges. So even without Covid, I'd already decided that "close enough" was gonna be fine.
Please don't go away. We have lots more to share.
Not going anywhere! :)

Neither. That was two months ago.

:rolleyes:

Sorry I missed it. Hope is was good!

Looks both very pretty and very yummy!

Thank you, it was!

If it's not too much of an imposition, could you say what the non-dessert items are? I pretty much don't recognize anything.

Not at all. This wasn't all the food some was on the counters and the turkey, ham and gravy were on the adult table.

Inside the turkey is our standard appetizer "krab log" krab since it's made with the fake crab. This comes from the grocery store Albertson's and is soooo good. Green Bean Casserole is to the left of the turkey. This is a southern staple. Next to the green beans are just plan sweet peas and corn. We always have these for the picky eater that won't eat the casseroles. Cornbread dressing is next to the corn. This is also a southern tradition. I make it and it's the BOMB! It's my Grandmother's recipe. I made 3 pans of this, one was eaten that day, the second pan was gone by Saturday morning and the 3rd pan went to my sister's family since we did not all get together. Homemade Mac n' Cheese after the dressing. Danielle actually made this from a recipe I have. It's really good and was the first dish emptied. Going back to the right of the turkey is Jimmy's Mom's sweet potato casserole. It's is also really good an more like a dessert. The cranberry sauce, potatoes and cauliflower casserole were on the counters. This was downsized from last year.

What?!?!? Well happy belated birthday! :cake:

Thank you!

I'm okay with this. Normally I'm a staunch "No Christmas decorations until Dec 1st!"...
But two things have changed my mind.
1. (Obviously) Covid. We just can use a little extra cheer this year.
2. Last year. Due to my schedule, getting the decorations (especially the tree) up in a timely manner after November had a lot of challenges. So even without Covid, I'd already decided that "close enough" was gonna be fine.

So does this mean your decoration were up early too?

Not going anywhere! :)

I'm so glad to hear this!

Sorry I missed it. Hope is was good!
It was very low key. I may even have been working that day (don't recall now).
Not at all. This wasn't all the food some was on the counters and the turkey, ham and gravy were on the adult table.
Ah! I was wondering about that. I mean... Turkey seems like an absolute must, but I thought maybe in NOLA, it wasn't a thing.
Inside the turkey is our standard appetizer "krab log" krab since it's made with the fake crab. This comes from the grocery store Albertson's and is soooo good.
So the Krab log comes pre-made? Or did you just get the fake crab from there?
Green Bean Casserole is to the left of the turkey. This is a southern staple.
I wonder how it compares to some I've had up here.
Next to the green beans are just plan sweet peas and corn. We always have these for the picky eater that won't eat the casseroles. Cornbread dressing is next to the corn. This is also a southern tradition. I make it and it's the BOMB! It's my Grandmother's recipe. I made 3 pans of this, one was eaten that day, the second pan was gone by Saturday morning and the 3rd pan went to my sister's family since we did not all get together.
cornbread dressing. I would definitely like to try that. I love dressing (who doesn't???).
I really love how you make your grandmother's recipe. I make my mom's which comes from her aunt, I believe.
Homemade Mac n' Cheese after the dressing.
Yum!
Danielle actually made this from a recipe I have. It's really good and was the first dish emptied.
I'm actually a little surprised by that. I would've put my money on that being the 2nd after the dressing. Unless there was significantly more dressing in that dish. It looks like that's the case, but it's a bit hard to tell.
Going back to the right of the turkey is Jimmy's Mom's sweet potato casserole. It's is also really good an more like a dessert.
I'll pass on that one. I've never liked sweet potato. Well... I'm not positive I've had it in a casserole, so I'd take a bit and try it... and go from there.
The cranberry sauce, potatoes and cauliflower casserole were on the counters. This was downsized from last year.
"downsized".... :faint:

So... do you ever invite non-family members sometimes? Asking for a friend. From Canada.
So does this mean your decoration were up early too?
Yes and no.
The exterior lights usually go up well ahead of time, but aren't normally turned on until Dec 1. Usually it's just too cold in November to try to put them up. This year we had a (relatively) mild fall and I put them up late, but before Dec 1. I put the tree up a few days before Dec 1 and the exterior lights were turned on late November. The rest of the decorations went up on the 1st.
I'm so glad to hear this!
:hug:

It was very low key. I may even have been working that day (don't recall now).

I'm very sorry. :hug: This whole year has been so strange and different.

Ah! I was wondering about that. I mean... Turkey seems like an absolute must, but I thought maybe in NOLA, it wasn't a thing.

We had a fried turkey from the restaurant that Danielle works at and Michelle worked her way through high school and college. It even came already carved. The ham was from Honey Baked Hams. Both were really good.

So the Krab log comes pre-made? Or did you just get the fake crab from there?

Krab log comes already made.

I wonder how it compares to some I've had up here.

It's made from the recipe on the side of the fried onions it should be about the same. I only add some lemon pepper.

cornbread dressing. I would definitely like to try that. I love dressing (who doesn't???).
I really love how you make your grandmother's recipe. I make my mom's which comes from her aunt, I believe.

Love this tradition. I did not know that cornbread dressing was eaten in Canada. I'm curious to know what is in your dressing?

I'm actually a little surprised by that. I would've put my money on that being the 2nd after the dressing. Unless there was significantly more dressing in that dish. It looks like that's the case, but it's a bit hard to tell.

The dressing had 2 pans so the first pan was gone before the mac n cheese but we ran totally out of mac n cheese before we ran out of dressing.

I'll pass on that one. I've never liked sweet potato. Well... I'm not positive I've had it in a casserole, so I'd take a bit and try it... and go from there.

Imagine sweet potatoes with lots of butter, brown sugar, cream and topped with chopped pecans and more brown sugar. It's more like a dessert.

"downsized".... :faint:

Compared to last year it was.

So... do you ever invite non-family members sometimes? Asking for a friend. From Canada.

You're in luck because we do invite friends too. If you're down here for Thanksgiving than consider yourself invited.

Yes and no.
The exterior lights usually go up well ahead of time, but aren't normally turned on until Dec 1. Usually it's just too cold in November to try to put them up. This year we had a (relatively) mild fall and I put them up late, but before Dec 1. I put the tree up a few days before Dec 1 and the exterior lights were turned on late November. The rest of the decorations went up on the 1st.

You did really good this year! Better than us, DH still needs to put the rest of the lights up.

I'm very sorry. :hug: This whole year has been so strange and different.
Oh, not to worry. Our Thanksgiving (at least for my family) has never been that big a deal. We have had turkey and family and/or friends... but we've also just done nothing.

Christmas on the other hand.... that will certainly be different as I'm not allowed to visit my folks this year.
We had a fried turkey from the restaurant that Danielle works at and Michelle worked her way through high school and college. It even came already carved.
Convenient!
Which also means you did your dressing as a casserole and not as a stuffing.
The ham was from Honey Baked Hams. Both were really good.
I had to look that up. Presume there's a store nearby? Or did you order online?
Love this tradition. I did not know that cornbread dressing was eaten in Canada. I'm curious to know what is in your dressing?
You misunderstood. I've never had cornbread dressing. Only dressing made with bread cubes/dried bread. Similar to Best Homemade Turkey Stuffing Recipe - How to Make Classic Thanksgiving Stuffing (delish.com) ']this one[/URL].
My dressing is like that one, but I also throw in some cooked ground beef and the turkey liver & heart (also cooked) and carrots.
I have a grinder attachment on my mixer and it gets a workout every time I make my stuffing.
The dressing had 2 pans so the first pan was gone before the mac n cheese but we ran totally out of mac n cheese before we ran out of dressing.
Okay... now that makes more sense to me! :laughing:
Imagine sweet potatoes with lots of butter, brown sugar, cream and topped with chopped pecans and more brown sugar. It's more like a dessert.
hmmm... I'd try it of course, but... I still think that I probably wouldn't like it. Really not a fan of sweet potato.
You're in luck because we do invite friends too. If you're down here for Thanksgiving than consider yourself invited.
You realize that in my head, I'm now planning on a NOLA trip that takes me over Thanksgiving, right?

:laughing:
Just kidding. I would never impose like that!
(But I am thinking of a NOLA trip at some point... some day.)
You did really good this year! Better than us, DH still needs to put the rest of the lights up.
Two reasons.
1. I succumbed to pressure.
DD: "Dad? Are you not putting the outside lights up this year?"
Me: "Don't think so."
DD: "You have to!"

2. Since I work shifts and (up to this year) generally work on my days off too, I have to put them up whenever I get the chance. So I try to get them up when I can.

Last edited:
Oh, not to worry. Our Thanksgiving (at least for my family) has never been that big a deal. We have had turkey and family and/or friends... but we've also just done nothing.
Christmas on the other hand.... that will certainly be different as I'm not allowed to visit my folks this year.
Which also means you did your dressing as a casserole and not as a stuffing.

Correct.

I had to look that up. Presume there's a store nearby? Or did you order online?

Store nearby. We did have to call in beforehand to reserve a Ham.

You misunderstood. I've never had cornbread dressing. Only dressing made with bread cubes/dried bread. Similar to Best Homemade Turkey Stuffing Recipe - How to Make Classic Thanksgiving Stuffing (delish.com) ']this one[/URL].
My dressing is like that one, but I also throw in some cooked ground beef and the turkey liver & heart (also cooked) and carrots.
I have a grinder attachment on my mixer and it gets a workout every time I make my stuffing.

Sorry, I was thinking that Stuffing was more of a Northern dish. I tried to look at the link but it's blocked here (I'm at work but don't tell anyone).

You realize that in my head, I'm now planning on a NOLA trip that takes me over Thanksgiving, right?

Just kidding. I would never impose like that!
(But I am thinking of a NOLA trip at some point... some day.)

I have said many time that if you ever make it to NOLA we have to meet up. Keep in mind we are in Baton Rouge but we're not that far and you would not be imposing. Let me know when you have your trip set.

Two reasons.
1. I succumbed to pressure.
DD: "Dad? Are you not putting the outside lights up this year?"
Me: "Don't think so."
DD: "You have to!"

This happens to DH too.

2. Since I work shifts and (up to this year) generally work on my days off too, I have to put them up whenever I get the chance. So I try to get them up when I can.

Such a totally different year. I hope it has helped you get caught up on sleep. I do remember that it has helped you become a runner.

Store nearby. We did have to call in beforehand to reserve a Ham.
Ah. I do that (when I do... not this year) with turkeys at my local butcher.
Sorry, I was thinking that Stuffing was more of a Northern dish.
I use the term stuffing and dressing interchangeably.
I tried to look at the link but it's blocked here (I'm at work but don't tell anyone).
Mum's the word!
I have said many time that if you ever make it to NOLA we have to meet up. Keep in mind we are in Baton Rouge but we're not that far and you would not be imposing. Let me know when you have your trip set.
Definitely we'll have to meet up! And I did remember you were in Baton Rouge. :)
This happens to DH too.
Such a totally different year. I hope it has helped you get caught up on sleep. I do remember that it has helped you become a runner.
Sleep is hit and miss unfortunately. Always something keeping me up. Ah well.

Ah. I do that (when I do... not this year) with turkeys at my local butcher.

But is it cooked and ready to serve?

I use the term stuffing and dressing interchangeably.

Got it.

Definitely we'll have to meet up! And I did remember you were in Baton Rouge. :)

:thumbsup2 Looking forward to it.

Sleep is hit and miss unfortunately. Always something keeping me up. Ah well.

I'm sorry. This has been a bad year for stress.

Nope. But the feathers are off. So there’s that.

True that!

I’m usually pretty easygoing. Just being a shift worker does it. For me anyways.

We have lots of people who are shift workers here for the many chemical plants. They call working nights "dogs". No one in my direct family is a plant worker but I use to have a BIL that is one. I have lots of customers who are plant workers. Always worry when I call them that I might be waking them up.

We have lots of people who are shift workers here for the many chemical plants. They call working nights "dogs".
Good word for it.
No one in my direct family is a plant worker but I use to have a BIL that is one. I have lots of customers who are plant workers. Always worry when I call them that I might be waking them up.
Thoughtful of you. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter