• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Advice For Someone who Hates Shorts...

I know someone that went to WDW in June and wore jeans every day. He ended up missing two days of work when he returned, miserable from the scorching heat rash under his jeans. He will never do that again!

Sundresses. Athleta has a ton of options and they offer petite sizes. I've found them stylish and comfortable in the parks, esp on humid days.

I have some super lightweight pants from Lucy. Have them in capri and skort too. Not sure if they still do but they were worth the expensive price -- I swear they will outlast me! I'd focus on the type of material. Some outdoor gear places and exercise stores might have some for you. Also consider Bermuda shorts -- bit longer so they won't look quite like short pants but more like pedal pushers from what you are telling me. FYI, yeah, I have terrible varicose veins too. I wear shorts as I didn't like how I looked in capris in pictures too! Maybe do some test shots. I found I didn't look nearly as bad as I thought in shorts.

Shorts are anathema to me! I am just so self-conscious in them. Even if they look "ok", I am just so uncomfortable in them!

I used to wear capri pants, but I was so tired of putting outfits together, that I just wear sundresses at this point. So easy! Dress, shoes, done!!!

That being said, I just bought some really lightweight insect repellant pants for an upcoming trip to Costa Rica from a company called ExOfficio. They make regular travel clothing and sun-protection clothing as well. They are SO lightweight! I found them on sale at the Ex Officio website and just found some on sale for my DS on the REI website. Looks Sierra Trading Post has some of their clothing on sale as well - might be worth a look!

You could try Bermuda shorts - they are longer in length - usually about 13" inseam. Another suggestion is pedal pushers. They are longer than Bermuda shorts but shorter than capris - usually about 19" inseam

Maybe bermuda shorts? Check online at Kohl's and Old Navy but under Petites.

I am 'vertically challenged ' too.
I am also not happy wearing shorts, nor do not like looking frumpy or dumpy. I love fashion, and designer clothes, but every summer I buy 7 pairs of cheapo super lightweight cotton capris that come just below my knee. They are not baggy, but slightly stretchy, and the material is so thin you can easily fold them up to make them a little shorter, and they still look cute. I pair them with a classy tank, or t shirt. This is my Disney summer uniform, and I have always been very comfortable in the 90+ degree heat.
I hear you OP. It is no easy task to find summer pants that fit well. Happy shopping!

When I'm at WDW during the hot summer months, I put comfort ahead of my body image. I wear whatever keeps me cool, leave my makeup at home, put my hat on and resign myself to having a bad hair day, every day. I mean, I'm not going to see anyone I know anyhow.

Bingo!

What's that saying? Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Feels very apropos here.

I don't wear shorts or capris ever. I've worn jeans in Disney World in August on several trips, and I didn't find it bad. It's probably because I'm used to them. I think that I had a few pairs of lighter weight woven pants as well as the jeans. So, you may be fine with what you are used to wearing.

I really don't find shorts to be any cooler than lightweight pants. It just means more skin to get sunburned, and when your legs get sweaty they stick together - yuck! Oh and then there's the whole getting-bunched-up-in-your-crotch issue, definitely not a battle you want in the heat!

I always wear yoga pants or fitted (athletic) capri's. DH wears lightweight hiking pants. We are both much more comfortable this way. Do what works for you.

I really like workout capris/pants like the ones from Reebok, Nike, or Target. Bonus is they're super comfortable.

We live in Orlando. My daughter wears jeans year round. She wears them to the parks when it is in the 90s. She also hates shorts. Not sure why, but it doesn't seem to bother her that much.

Can you deal with sandals (without socks of course, LOL)? Allowing your feet to breath will keep you cool even in longer pants.

Laura

I was a jeans-year-round person before moving to Florida. I just can't do it here. I hate shorts, but capris are the compromise I suffer with, since I hate dresses even more. If they seem to be a weird length, depending on the fit, I roll them up a bit.

I do like loose-fitting linen pants, but they wrinkle so easily that it drives me nuts.

Can you deal with sandals (without socks of course, LOL)? Allowing your feet to breath will keep you cool even in longer pants.

Laura

Lol nope. I walk with an altered gait, so I really do need supportive shoes if I'm going to be walking all day. So, you know. I'll be the one out there in jeans with non-breathable tennis shoes and socks. ;) Okay. Not quite that bad. I'm leaning towards actually wearing shorts, just because I think that's probably what I'll actually be able to find in my size. But yeah, I need my supportive shoes. New Balance works best for me.

I'm shorter, 5'2, and have the exact opposite problem of twig legs and pedal pushers actually look good. They hit right below my knee. I had to try on a ton of different lengths and sizes of shorts, capris, etc. to find one style I liked. My suggestion is to grab a ton of things, even stuff you think would be horrible, and try them on with an open mind. Give yourself plenty of time and permission to laugh. Also, talc lotion or spray powder on your legs should help you feel fresher.

Cargo type capris that allow you to adjust the length. The ones that have a button or snap on the side by the knee or above -- then you can roll them up to your desired length and the button will hold it in place.

I am the same way - jeans every day regardless of the season, and I live in Texas, so I am used to HOT! However, went to WDW in May and the first day of the trip wearing jeans did me in. I switched to capris and never looked back. I also have height issues with them, but the opposite of yours. I'm 6'1ish so they just look like long shorts on me. However, I found that every ounce of caring about how I looked in them melted away with the humidity.

I second the idea of wearing maxi dresses. If the material is lightweight, then they could be really comfortable in the parks and the heat. If they're informal, then you could work in sneakers or tennis shoes with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter