Advice for Universal

TerriBelle

DIS Veteran
We are DVC members that have never tried Universal. We are thinking about trying to stay at a universal resort before or after a trip in Feb. We would like to do a weekend at Universal (save our points). We are a family of 5 and I was wondering which resorts, if any, sleep 5. I am looking for any tips or suggestions since we have never done this -

Which resort? Price? etc?

Thanks!

Price varies, the Royal pacific you can find as inexpensive as $139 for a standard, Hard Rock Hotel $179 standard room, and the Portifino Bay $199. These are discounted prices currently being offered to Ga residents. As I mentioned they are also standard rooms. All of the resorts have options that can sleep a family of five.

If it were a hubby wife trip Portifino bay would be my pick, if your kids are in the preteen/teen range Hard Rock, and if you have younger kids I would go with the Royal Pacific.

We have done all three and like them all for different reasons.

Its been a great trip for us and saves points. I think they all sleep 5. Front of the line keys all day long-its great but has been going up in price on site.

There are several ways to get the discounted rates. The most common are Annual Passholder (APH), Entertainment Card (ENT), AAA, and Fan Club (FAN). The best way to check rates is to go to Loew's web site (www.loewshotels.com), go to "reservations" at the top of the page, and choose the hotel. On the next page, after entering your dates, etc., be sure to enter the three character code (above) under "promotional code".

APH discount requires an Annual Pass, but often the savings justifies the cost. ENT requires an entertainment card (entertainment.com - about $30). AAA requires membership of course. Fan Club is usually distributed by HR dept. of larger businesses to it's employees, but you may be able to obtain one from a member of these boards (just do a search for "fan club card" on the universal boards). Usually the best discounts are with APH and ENT, but ENT have been scarce the last few years, as has FAN. AAA varies greatly.

As far as rooms, there is a kid's suite at Portofino and Hard Rock (not sure about Royal Pacific) that has a master bedroom and a kids bedroom with two double beds. I believe the couch is also a fold out. Price wise, you may be better off with two adjoining standard rooms (two queens each).

We have always done Universal AFTER Disney, because Front-Of-The-Line (FOTL) will spoil you, and the lines at Disney, even with Fastpass, will be that much more annoying.

Have fun! We love doing both Disney and Univeral - it really feels like two vacations in one. :)

Just to add on to Rash's comprehensive answer - you must have a Preferred Annual Pass (not the discounted version with the black out dates) in order to obtain the APH rates @ Loews. We were upgraded to a pool view room @ the HRH. You can wait to purchase your AP until you arrive @ Universal, you need to go to the gate & pick it up before checking into Loews. Additionally, if you've already purchased a multi-day tix and it's unused, you can upgrade it to an AP @ the park box office.

It's been reported that the Entertainment rates are no longer being offered/honored this year. Depending on capacity, time of year, etc. either the APH or the AAA rate could offer the best rate; you need to compare them.

You only need 1 AP to obtain the room discount. Then, you can purchase discounted tix for additional party members @ the gate. There is a long list of dining & merchandise discounts (listed on the Universal site) that saved us quite a bit of money over 4 days.

There is a great Universal thread on the boards - good luck.

BTW, if you haven't already, you should post your question on the Universal Resorts board. I'm sure you'll get many more responses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter