airmiles junkies unite!

Stan Solo,

Were you able to get your cancelled flight/AM issue worked out?
That is ridiculous and a lot of AM to lose out on.
Please keep us updated.

After calling AM and United Airlines on several occasions I kept getting the same answer that only the same people that are canceling the flight can rebook. In other words my wife and DD14 are canceling so only my wife and DD14 can rebook. My DD16 and I can not use the tickets for a future flight.

It made no sense to me that I can fly to Orlando in 2011 but in 2012 if they change Stan Solos wife and my DD14 names on the tickets to Stan Solo and my DD16 it's a security risk.

I never did cancel the tickets because they were not willing to give me anything for them. Not the Airmiles, not the insurance fee I paid, not the taxes, not the fuel charge, NOTHING! When my wife and DD14 never showed up for the four flights UA sold three of them to people flying stand by. In the end I lost 8800 Airmiles plus all the crazy fees and taxes they throw on top of the "free" tickets.

My DD16 and I went without them and had the time of our lives! The trip could not have been any better! Everyone on the entire trip was so friendly except for the UA employee that we had to deal with in Winnipeg I think she hated her job and her life. In Orlando on the way home the UA employee asked if my wife and DD were going to make the flight. When I told her what happened she upgraded us to business class. Finely someone who showed some hart.

My DD and I already booked our second trip for next year! If I can raise the Airmiles...

Now that I wasted a bunch of Airmiles on a flight that didn't happen I'm saving for our next trip.

Anybody know can I use Airmiles to go from Winnipeg to Chicago and then buy tickets from somewhere else i.e. Hot tickets.com to get from Chicago to Orlando?

Will I have issues with my luggage? Can I have my check in luggage go to Orlando without me having to claim them in Chicago then bring it to the Chicago checkin counter.

I did do this years ago. I only had enough airmiles for two family members (wpg-Orland0) and not for the other two. I booked airmiles flight from Wpg to Minneapolis with NorthWest and then bought flights from Minneapolis to Wpg. We never had to go get luggage but we had to get the second boarding pass printed out in Minneapolis, never left the secured area. But this was a few years back.

BTW, the Ness avenue Safeway is still having the extreme airmiles special if you're looking to build up your airmiles. We've being getting about 500 a week with the groceries.

Thanks cab0899 I'll have to give AM a call to find out if that is still possible with all the new FAA rules. Also, Thanks for the tip about the Ness Safeway. We do all of our shopping at Safeway mostly at the Portage Ave one but it would be worth the short trip to head out to Ness.

sucks bout the certificates. We use them all the time. Gonna use ours for a DL trip for the first time. Should be fun!

It's not just the gift certificates that have disappeared. There are a lot less rewards in every category and the ones that remain are at higher miles than before. Even the Disney park passes are only valid until Dec 2011.
Should we be concerned about the future of Airmiles or do you think they are going to roll out a bunch of new rewards soon?

It's not just the gift certificates that have disappeared. There are a lot less rewards in every category and the ones that remain are at higher miles than before. Even the Disney park passes are only valid until Dec 2011.
Should we be concerned about the future of Airmiles or do you think they are going to roll out a bunch of new rewards soon?

There is a lot of talk on the Airmiles FB page about the giftcards. They have stated that they are only putting rewards of gift cards of sponsers of Airmiles. Makes sense to me.

As for the Disney passes - where do you see them being valid only until December? :confused3 I checked the AM website and they do not have any limitations on them. I have ordered the passes from AM several times and they don't expire until you use them.

By the way they are having a special on both WDW and DL passes at AM - get 7 days for the cost of 5.

There is a lot of talk on the Airmiles FB page about the giftcards. They have stated that they are only putting rewards of gift cards of sponsers of Airmiles. Makes sense to me.

As for the Disney passes - where do you see them being valid only until December? :confused3 I checked the AM website and they do not have any limitations on them. I have ordered the passes from AM several times and they don't expire until you use them.

By the way they are having a special on both WDW and DL passes at AM - get 7 days for the cost of 5.

Makes sense about only carrying cards from sponsors but they have taken a bunch away that weren't sponsors but haven't added any new "sponsor" cards.

The DL passes say Oct 1-Dec31/11.

Oh right. Yes I have seem expiry dates on DL passes in the past. They are always available at Airmiles. Doens\t mean AM is going under. ;) I had forgotten about that.

I only use my AMs for travel - attraction passes, flights, Marlin travel, vacation packages - so I haven't paid much attention to the disappearing gift cards. Just seen all the comments on the FB page.

DH and I just cashed in most of our airmiles. We used them to get Via Rail gift cards. We redeemed most of the gift cards for 2 round trip Via 1 tickets to Toronto and 2 round trip Via 1 tickets to Montreal. The 'free' trip to Toronto was a huge bonus--we saw Paul Gross and Kim Cattrall in Private Lives at the Royal Alex.

Madison Square Safeway in Winnipeg has the bonus airmiles until Thursday of this week.
Spend $100 get 150.

Did any other gold collectors get an invite to a free wine tasting event? I tried to RSVP but apparently they reached capacity.

I got that invite but didn't bother trying.

In the past whenever I recived an invite for something they already reached capacity. Except for once about 18 years ago Molson had a great offer for an arcade sized table hockey game and I was able to get one. I still have it and use it today.

On a side note I only need 500 more miles before I can book my flight to DW! Maybe I should convert my HBC rewards.

After calling AM and United Airlines on several occasions I kept getting the same answer that only the same people that are canceling the flight can rebook. In other words my wife and DD14 are canceling so only my wife and DD14 can rebook. My DD16 and I can not use the tickets for a future flight.

It made no sense to me that I can fly to Orlando in 2011 but in 2012 if they change Stan Solos wife and my DD14 names on the tickets to Stan Solo and my DD16 it's a security risk.

I never did cancel the tickets because they were not willing to give me anything for them. Not the Airmiles, not the insurance fee I paid, not the taxes, not the fuel charge, NOTHING! When my wife and DD14 never showed up for the four flights UA sold three of them to people flying stand by. In the end I lost 8800 Airmiles plus all the crazy fees and taxes they throw on top of the "free" tickets.

My DD16 and I went without them and had the time of our lives! The trip could not have been any better! Everyone on the entire trip was so friendly except for the UA employee that we had to deal with in Winnipeg I think she hated her job and her life. In Orlando on the way home the UA employee asked if my wife and DD were going to make the flight. When I told her what happened she upgraded us to business class. Finely someone who showed some hart.

My DD and I already booked our second trip for next year! If I can raise the Airmiles...

oh no :O( Dince you are planning another trip for next year, you should have cancelled properly so that at least DW and DD can use the tickets then! What rotten luck otherwise. :O( I would be frustrated for sure!

oh no :O( Dince you are planning another trip for next year, you should have cancelled properly so that at least DW and DD can use the tickets then! What rotten luck otherwise. :O( I would be frustrated for sure!

There was no ponit in canceling the tickets becuse both AM and United was not about to give me back anything. My DW and DD had to use their credits within six months and had to go to the US. My DW was thinking about going to Calgary to visit her brother but no she had to go with UA and they don't fly from Winnipeg to Calgary.

I was hoping for hope that once I canceled at the airport I would get something back. Instead I got the rudest person I had my entire trip (if not my entire summer) at the United Airways desk right here in Winnipeg.

In Orlando I was talking to the lady at the ticket counter and explained what happened. A little later she called me to the desk and told me she bumped us up to business class for our trip from Orlando to Chicago. I got a whole 2 inches of leg room. It was however the first time during this whole mess that I felt like someone cared for their customer.

I now see that when you book with Airmiles the cancelation insurance is called any reason insurance. When I book later this year I will have a question or two about this.

I now see that when you book with Airmiles the cancelation insurance is called any reason insurance. When I book later this year I will have a question or two about this.

Their insurance policies changed about maybe June or July (not sure the exact date) as they switched providers. The new policy states that you can cancel for any reason but you only get a full refund if it's one of their 29 covered reasons for cancelation, otherwise the max you'll get is about 50%.

Hope this helps.

Their insurance policies changed about maybe June or July (not sure the exact date) as they switched providers. The new policy states that you can cancel for any reason but you only get a full refund if it's one of their 29 covered reasons for cancelation, otherwise the max you'll get is about 50%.

Hope this helps.

This is interesting. We booked in Febuary so I guess we were still on the old insurance plan even though we flew in Auguest. This is good to know for next year not that I can see us canceling this trip...unless DD(16 that will be 17) gets a good job and can't get the time off. Even then Stan Solo would realy be going solo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter