AKL / SSR / OKW - Direct Price Increase to $200pp

So no new incentives for these 3 resorts?
Interesting new approach for DVC.

Maybe we will see them on 31st March with RIV/AUL incentives going down then
Guess we will see what Disney has planned next.
Sounds like they are really pushing the current for sale resorts instead of the sold out resorts.

So so so mad we did not pull the trigger on a direct AKL contract back in January. Have zero desire for the VGF, RIV, and AUL. Back to the drawing board. I know resale is a better money value but we still have at least 35 years of solid vacations left and we don't want to be blocked out of new resorts that may come down the line.

What is about the average price that Disney is taking back OKW and SSR? I love our SSR contract.
We purchased in 2009 resale and grandfathered and sleep all over!
Do you think Disney will start buying back these resorts at higher prices and have less of a gap between resale and
direct?

I have an offer for 130pp for 160 point contract at AKL that is waiting ROFR and has been for about 2.5 weeks now. Reading this I doubt I will be able to purchase it...

@Ruttangel I'll also add that I think there's unique value in OKW as SAP from a convenience/logistical perspective.

For owners who use the strategy of "book home resort at 11 months and then change at 7 months," the whole transaction works a lot more seamlessly if you're switching from a cheaper resort to a more expensive one, rather than the other way around.

Pretend you have a 100 point contract and you want to stay for one week in a studio over the summer. You book at your home resort, VGF, which costs 132 points. To do this, you need to borrow 32 points from your next Use Year. When you hit your 7 month window, you decide you want to switch to Old Key West. But those dates are only 87 points. You can bank the 13 from the current Use Year, but those 32 points you borrowed for VGF can't be un-borrowed and now they're stranded, leaving you short for next year and scrambling to find a renter.

Why would you only bank 13? The 32 borrowed would be used first + 55 from current use year and then bank the 45

Why would you only bank 13? The 32 borrowed would be used first + 55 from current use year and then bank the 45
Sure, but that just kicks the can down the road. Now you're ending up with 45 points in the next year that are un-bankable.

Sure, but that just kicks the can down the road. Now you're ending up with 45 points in the next year that are un-bankable.
But unless you have the exact amount you use every year isn't that always the case? (you have to borrow/bank/rent)

If you are buying where you are staying then Point charts matter, but buying a SAP contract can be better value.
I know this is direct pricing but here is a comparison when buying to stay at that resort only. If you used VGF to stay a week in OKW it would only be $1.1k.
View attachment 657046

Wait… can you add HHI in there? I’m really struggling with a decision that some are saying is a no brainer.

Wait… can you add HHI in there? I’m really struggling with a decision that some are saying is a no brainer.
114 pts, HHI, 155 , 7.75, 10 , 17.75 , $2,2023 , 1/31/2042
(Hope the math is right. I am a Geography teacher, not a math teacher!)

Last edited:
By using straight-line "Direct Price Per Year," you're assigning equal weight to a week in a Studio when I'm 75 as a week in a Studio when I'm 35.

I couldn't care less what my points are worth beyond 2054 or so, so this model gives way to much preference to contract length. I care about contract length as it related to 2042 properties, but I'm not interested in subsidizing a higher direct price per year by spreading it over my geriatric decades.
That is exactly why there is no exact "fit" for DVC! Everyone has to weigh the benefits to them personally before choosing a contract. We have a mix of 2057, 2054 and 2042 and know that even 2042 is a stretch for us LOL! 2042 was a joke when we bought in 1996...where did the years go?
:hourglass

By using straight-line "Direct Price Per Year," you're assigning equal weight to a week in a Studio when I'm 75 as a week in a Studio when I'm 35.

I couldn't care less what my points are worth beyond 2054 or so, so this model gives way to much preference to contract length. I care about contract length as it related to 2042 properties, but I'm not interested in subsidizing a higher direct price per year by spreading it over my geriatric decades.
But they have to have a measure by which value is calculated. All things being equal, length of time has value.

With these new direct prices I'm considering pulling the OKW contract that I have listed and may just keep it for now. The pitfalls of flipping contracts is wanting to keep them! lol
LOL. I agree! Thought about selling one of our BWV contracts to offset our VGF purchase --- for maybe 1 whole nanosecond. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter