• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else started Christmas shopping ?

OP here... Hi Everyone...

I did go out on Tuesday Dec the 1st with my good friend and neighbor, we were out shopping at 9:00 am... I really had to finish the big stuff, and find a couple of items that I was having a hard time locating...

Hobby Lobby was the first stop... my friend had to return a few things... everything I picked up was 50% off... I picked up paper plates, and napkins for Christmas Eve, and some decor items, I wanted to freshen up a couple of things that I have and give them a new look... A battery operated candled for my new lantern... I also picked up a My first bible for my grandson. I wanted a calendar for my mom, but they did not have the funny cat one that I give her each year, so I will have to look around for that...

Target - was crazy busy, my friend had a couple of items to return and exchange, I just picked up some shaving cream, and batteries for my new Mickey Christmas train... Wow the price of the batteries floored me, my DH normally gets this kinda stuff... Shocking...

Kohls - I had 45 in Kohls cash, and 20 dollars in my email.. plus a 20% off total coupon... I picked up a couple of casual T-shirts for my son in law, a wallet for DH this was the only item that was not on sale, a couple ( 2 of each) of telescoping back scratcher's, eye glass repair kits,nail kits, 2 Christmas hand towels for the guest bathroom that matches the rugs that I bought. I browsed around in kids toys, looking for something for our Toys for Tots drop off, and nothing really hit me. All in all, after my Kohls cash, email cash, and 20% off, I forked out 28 dollars so not to shabby...

Lunch Time - Health choice, and yummy broccoli soup...

We headed over to Home Goods and Marshall's... It was super busy, Which I picked up quite a bit here, a really nice food basket for DH's assistant, I loved the fact it had a nice decorative bowl, that wasn't Christmas themed, that can actual be used later on, and a little something extra for DH's office manager, the cutest snowmen stacked boxes with different cookies, and hot cocoa, and candy... so cute... I had already pick up some bath and body for her.. I was looking for a couple of baking pans, and they did not have any, well in the size that I was looking for... So then we headed over to the Marshall side, the 2 stores are join together... I hit the jack pot, on nicer pull up medium weight cotton shorts for my Dad, and some T-shirts... I ended up with Under Armour, Nike and Adidas, and Nautica all name brand and all on clearance... so a bit of the happy dance for sure... LOL.. I head over to look for some house pants for my mom, and nothing...

Next up we decided to walk over to Ross, and my friend was on a mission to find a army style jacket that wasn't green - lol ... I was looking for some stocking stuffers, and I noticed that they had created a couple of aisle of tools, work gloves, car accessories, really great stocking stuffers... I picked up some armour-all car vent clip, some straps, and a few other items, for the guys stockings, all practical and that can actually be used. I got a bunch of items, and all in all only like 30 bucks...

Just a few more things and I'm done...

Happy Shopping everyone... We all most done...

Last edited:
I'm so late to the party this year! I tend to shop all year and with the way things went this year I'm SO happy I did. I don't know how I'd afford it otherwise with all this...

For my mom, I got a statuette made of DS for his soccer pictures this year.I can't remember what else though!

in laws will get a digital picture frame to match the one we got my mom a few years back. we'll be moving far from them next spring so that'll help them keep up with pics of DS all the time.

Got my Godson a board game he wanted (battleship) and a Pokemon shirt. He'll be 10 soon and he's just getting tougher each year. Sticking to his wishlist has been my strategy with him the last few years. His sister is getting Dreamtopia doll she asked for, an outfit, and a water bottle.

My goddaughter is so easy to shop for. She's going to be 8 and is just so happy with anything. i got her a backpack and matching lunchbox from Justice (if she's ever able to go back to school again!). Her sister will get a purse and journal also from justice (she's 10).

Last year at walmart right after Christmas i got two little purses shaped like peppermints for $5 each. Giving one of those and a $2 bill inside to each of my cousin's daughters, who are 6 and 4.

our 1 year old niece is getting a bit more spoiled from us. Got her a few pj sets and outfits from Carter's, a melissa and doug wooden puzzle, and a stack of miniature Disney board books. i think we also got her a toy, too, but I already wrapped it and can't remember what it was!! 😂

Finally, for DS (3) it's been pretty easy. A lot of it's already wrapped but I know we got him some puzzles with characters he likes, a few beginners board games, and some bath items, hot wheels, and books. We're big on the whole experiences versus stuff thing, but with covid that's been hard. So this year we're trying to do some socially distanced safe xmas activities (drive thru lights, gingerbread house building at home, etc) to take the place of the experiences for the coming year we'd normally gift him, since we don't know what the next year will bring.

Anyone else who tries to give their kids experiences have any creative ideas for how to still do that with covid? Thanks!

I finished my shopping much earlier this year than usual, but the problem has been that now I keep adding things. I was in Hallmark the other day to get a card and saw a cute printed dish towel that I got for my cousin (she and I don't usually even exchange gifts) and then tonight I saw something online I thought my DH would like and ordered it even thought I was finished with his shopping.

Not sure where you are located, but if he’s into dinosaurs and you are in a one of the states having this event it’s a drive thru experience.

THANK YOU!!!!! I never would have known this existed!!!! We are located in the northeast but are relocating to Florida DH's job and might need to dip down there soon to do some paperwork so maybe we can do Fort luaderdale when we go! You're seriously my hero!

Edit: Oh wow I'm looking at this more and they go on tour all over! Definitely bookmarking!

I'm so late to the party this year! I tend to shop all year and with the way things went this year I'm SO happy I did. I don't know how I'd afford it otherwise with all this...

For my mom, I got a statuette made of DS for his soccer pictures this year.I can't remember what else though!

in laws will get a digital picture frame to match the one we got my mom a few years back. we'll be moving far from them next spring so that'll help them keep up with pics of DS all the time.

Got my Godson a board game he wanted (battleship) and a Pokemon shirt. He'll be 10 soon and he's just getting tougher each year. Sticking to his wishlist has been my strategy with him the last few years. His sister is getting Dreamtopia doll she asked for, an outfit, and a water bottle.

My goddaughter is so easy to shop for. She's going to be 8 and is just so happy with anything. i got her a backpack and matching lunchbox from Justice (if she's ever able to go back to school again!). Her sister will get a purse and journal also from justice (she's 10).

Last year at walmart right after Christmas i got two little purses shaped like peppermints for $5 each. Giving one of those and a $2 bill inside to each of my cousin's daughters, who are 6 and 4.

our 1 year old niece is getting a bit more spoiled from us. Got her a few pj sets and outfits from Carter's, a melissa and doug wooden puzzle, and a stack of miniature Disney board books. i think we also got her a toy, too, but I already wrapped it and can't remember what it was!! 😂

Finally, for DS (3) it's been pretty easy. A lot of it's already wrapped but I know we got him some puzzles with characters he likes, a few beginners board games, and some bath items, hot wheels, and books. We're big on the whole experiences versus stuff thing, but with covid that's been hard. So this year we're trying to do some socially distanced safe xmas activities (drive thru lights, gingerbread house building at home, etc) to take the place of the experiences for the coming year we'd normally gift him, since we don't know what the next year will bring.

Anyone else who tries to give their kids experiences have any creative ideas for how to still do that with covid? Thanks!
Great list. Have you ever checked in on Santa with NORAD? Here is the link https://www.noradsanta.org/
The site follows Santa's flight on Christmas Eve. It also used to have fun little games and what nots to do before the holiday. It's really pretty cute.

THANK YOU!!!!! I never would have known this existed!!!! We are located in the northeast but are relocating to Florida DH's job and might need to dip down there soon to do some paperwork so maybe we can do Fort luaderdale when we go! You're seriously my hero!

Edit: Oh wow I'm looking at this more and they go on tour all over! Definitely bookmarking!

You may also want to check into Dinosaur World in Plant City, Florida

Well back in the 2008 fiscal crisis the adults in our extended family decided to not exchange christmas gifts and only give gifts to the children in our family (and contribute to things like santa fund). It was hard to justify buying 'stuff' for ourselves when others could not afford to give their kids anything.

That said giving and receiving thoughtful christmas gifts had always been one of my great joys but in these times especially its time to think of others rather than oneself.

But before that we used to start shopping in may/june and would buy one gift per week which was great on the budget and cut way back on stress so by time the holidays rolled around we were done. It also allowed us to really concentrate on what that family member really wanted.

We did 'Black Friday' ONCE just to see what it was like and said NEVER AGAIN.

Last edited:
Well back in the 2008 fiscal crisis the adults in our extended family decided to not exchange christmas gifts and only give gifts to the children in our family (and contribute to things like santa fund). It was hard to justify buying 'stuff' for ourselves when others could not afford to give their kids anything.

But before that we used to start shopping in may/june and would buy one gift per week which was great on the budget and cut way back on stress so by time the holidays rolled around we were done. It also allowed us to really concentrate on what that family member really wanted.

We did 'Black Friday' ONCE just to see what it was like and said NEVER AGAIN.

Great list. Have you ever checked in on Santa with NORAD? Here is the link https://www.noradsanta.org/
The site follows Santa's flight on Christmas Eve. It also used to have fun little games and what nots to do before the holiday. It's really pretty cute.

Thank you guys so much! I'll look into both of those!!

Today my friend was able to get a great sleeping bag for DD’s boyfriend. It was sold out online. Thanks friend.

So.....we were planning to travel to my brother's for Christmas, like we do every year. But that involves a day of flying.....and at this point, it looks less and less likely that we are going to go. The latest California lock down (our area's starts tomorrow) will mean DD20 and her boyfriend would not be able to work for 2 weeks after getting back. And, it's probably just not smart to mix the 5 different households that would be getting together.

While that's a bummer in sooo many ways, there is a tiny bit of good in it: I had to ship down gifts, and that's been done, so no more shopping for those folks LOL There's also no need to buy the 4 hostess-type gifts I would need for brother's in laws (long story) - so much for that See's candy!

So my shopping is even more done than it was before :)

Am I the only one who hasn’t even started yet? LOL? We usually spend every Christmas at WDW so I buy the gifts and wrap them the night before to put under our tree at BLT. This year will be no Christmas at the world. I haven’t even put a tree up since we only did one for the resort. I know magic is what you make it, and it’s not making much over here in this house!! This is the first time in 9 years my DD will not celebrate her BD at the world either. It’s a lot of first for us for sure!

I'm done and wrapped, except for a few stragglers arriving on my doorstep. Now, I have to separate out all of DD25's gifts, put them in a huge box, and ship them to her by UPS. I should have thought ahead and just planned on giving her cash, but we were going to drive up north and meet her--not happening now. I will have to make her a "faux stocking"--her real one isn't leaving the house.

My younger kids have exams this week, and a strings concert and camping trip this weekend, then it's clear sailing!

Hi Everyone... OP here :surfweb:

I am heading out shopping today... I am hoping that today I will finish up... Next week, I know I will have to head to the grocery store, and maybe Wal-mart for my families fav's for their candy and snacks for the stocking... I want to be done with the gifts today... so wish me luck...

I will post the outcome of this trip... Hopefully later on today...

Dinosaur World is a fun day... We are locals and having been there a couple of times... Our grandson loves Dino's.. I will say that as of our last trip, they do not offer any food items other than some ice cream bars, or drinks out of a machine... They do however have a ton of picnic tables, and you could bring a picnic with you... We did subs from Publix, and with chips, and cupcakes for dessert... some people had full on basket with tons of food... it is all outdoor for the most part... It's a fun day, you can spend a couple of hours or all day... If he love Dino's this is the place for him...

So....since our travel is off for Christmas, I have been forced to figure out Christmas Eve and Christmas meals. Which I want to be "special" but not a whole lot of work for me LOL And this has turned out to be shopping of its own sort.

So far I've ordered Peking Duck from a local restaurant, real NY bagels from Goldbelly (you just can't get NY bagels in California, I don't care what anyone says about any given shop/chain) and Maine Lobster Tails from MaineLobsterNow. Not cheap, although I got a first time user coupon for Goldbelly which makes the cost of the bagels only double what I would probably pay in person :rolleyes: But with all the money I'm saving on car rental, hotel, meals, parking pet boarding, etc. I'm still way ahead of the game.

I still have to figure out one dessert to cover both days - this is the hardest for DD20 and I to agree on. Everything I like, she doesn't and vice versa. The front runner so far is a buche de noel from a local bakery, but neither one of us is **really** excited about it so we are still on the hunt.

Last edited:
Hi everyone... OP here

We are in the home stretch for sure...

I did have a pretty good day out shopping yesterday...

I did find a few more items for stockings and a couple of extra little things to add into the bags. I have to go to either Lowe's or Home Depot, and look for DH a new flashlight. I need a couple of gift cards, and candy and snacks... and I am all done... so over the next two day I will be good to go...

Then next week all that is left is grocery shopping, I am however picking up this and that for a few things I know I am going to make, when I have seen them on sale or BOGO...

No luck on the house pants for my mom... I guess those are going to have to wait till next year and her birthday.

I was surprised that the stores where very busy everywhere we went... on a Monday even... busy busy...

I will say if you are looking for some good items, for your guys... or girls... Ross has a ton on good stuff with really good price's... lots of work gloves, stuff for the car or truck, flash lights, bungee cords, wraps, and multi use electric plugin's, mechanic wrap lights, I was shocked at all the stuff that they had... most things were around 2.99 to 8.99... so very affordable...

As well at Marshall's I did notice lots of work out accessories, water bottles, towels, sneaker balls, and some items for the home gym... lots of items if your a runner or jogger and into biking.. florescent tape and vests, for safety... belts, and bags pretty nice selection, and really nice prices... I really did not need anything, I did check it out though... I was looking for therapy bands, but they did not have them...

I went back and took a look at what I have spent, and my budget, and I am way under budget this year... Woo Hoo... I even added in what I plan on spending in Gift Cards, and candy and snacks... and I am still under... so double Yay!!!

So overall how is everyone doing?

Staying in budget or not... ?

Happy Shopping everyone... pixie dust away...

I mailed out the humongous box to my DD25. We went UP$, because I wanted to be sure it got there (arriving Thursday, they say). It's still cheaper than a plane ticket, I suppose. I put her stocking stuffers in a reusable Walmart bag because I didn't want to ship her "real" stocking (that matches everyone else's). I told her she couldn't have the real one because I threw it in the fire--this is a reference to the SNL "Christmas Conversation" sketch--must-viewing for every parent missing their child this year. (
)

I don't budget for Christmas--bad, I know, but I just buy what I think people will like.

• Haha
Reactions: cm8
I
Me! Me! I'm almost finished. YAY! I never finish this early. I started purchasing online when everyone ran their early Black Friday sales. I have become BFFs with QVC. I definitely need to get back to the office and stop working from home. LOL! I have my lil brother left to shop for and I'm FINISHED! I have no idea what to get him. I'm waiting to see if Garrett's popcorn runs a special over the Thanksgiving weekend so I can send a huge bucket of Chicago mix to my SIL and her family in FL.

I've taken out my Christmas trees and I'll start getting them ready to put up this week. Thanksgiving weekend I plan to start wrapping gifts, excuse me putting gifts in sacks that I purchased from QVC. I'm usually up all night wrapping gifts Christmas Eve. But not this year. Thanks Covid!

4 Sisters - Vera Bradley large duffle bags (Signature cotton on sale during outlet early Black Friday sale, $33/ea.)
Mom - VB compact overnight bag and toiletry bag, same sale $30
MIL - President Obama's new book
4 Sisters, mom and MIL - Cuddl Dud cozy socks, $6/ea
3 BFFs - Cuddle Dud Cozy socks
Dad - GAP athletic suit
Niece(13) - Nike Air Force One
Niece(6) - Children's place jeans, graphic tees and a sherpa hoodie. They were having a half price sale.
Nephew(14) - Nike Air Force One
Niece(17) - if she shows up $$$ and Cuddl dud cozy socks
BIL - President Obama's new book
We don't purchase for nieces and nephews after they graduate from college, that's 12 additional gifts. You're on your own!! If they come by the house on Christmas I always have some gadget or something I can quickly give them i.e. cozy socks, ear buds, Nike socks, VB crossbody, etc.
DH - new 55" TV for his man cave, he already purchased it and set it up. Merry Christmas to him!
Me - new 70" TV for living room but it is residing in the master bdrm at the moment. It fit on our dresser. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Merry Christmas to me!

I'm finished! I purchased my lil bro Dallas Cowboy socks, B&BW and house shoes. I did purchase my DH a Air Jordan athletic suit. It was on sale and we saw one last weekend that he really liked it. I thought I would surprise him. We were at the mall Saturday and Bath & Body works were having their $5.99 sale so I stocked up on the Gingham fragrance. My mom and sisters will also be blessed from this sale because the sale was so good. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 20 items later. As we were standing in line to check out, I told my husband he might have to purchase some of these because it is a 20 item limit. My DH said how do you know it was a 20 item limit. He just shook his head. LOL!

I told myself I am not going back to the mall for anything until after Christmas. We initially went to the mall because DH wanted me to go so I could show him what kind of tennis bracelet I liked. Yes, I know after we both said nothing else for Christmas since we both got new TVs. SMH! So now I'm thinking should I go ahead and get him the sound bar to go with his TV. I don't think I'm going to get. We always go after Christmas shopping so if he wants it then we can get it.

I've decided I'm not cooking for Christmas. I put some ham and dressing in the freezer from Thanksgiving. We'll just heat that up and make some broccoli or green beans. My DH purchased some brownies the other day so I'll whip them up for him for dessert. I really want some king crab legs. DH is allergic so I still would need to prepare him something to eat.

I've been toying around and pricing trips to Disney and Las Vegas for the holiday. We're not going anywhere but it was fun pricing it. Some great deals out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter