August 2016 Car Rental Rate watch

So, if worried about the codes being accepted, is it best to check in online? I've never done it before. I had printed out the confirmation, and I saved an email from a customer service rep who assured me that the price of the reservation shouldn't change, in case of trouble. Does checking in online allow me to "skip the counter" and the "kiosk" and go straight to garage?

we booked a reservation a few weeks ago using the Coupon Code AD3868JST and today when we tried to view our reservation the Alamo website will not let me view it unless we agree to cancel the coupon. Has anyone else had an issue?
I have a car reserved for TPA this week and one for LAX in October. I just checked and my TPA reservation is fine, but not my LAX one. I believe I used AS1 for my October/LAX rental and now it's not letting me view it.

I agree, I'm still using the AS1 code because without it, my rates for a standard SUV or minivan are DOUBLE, which is nuts. Last year I spent around $440 for a standard SUV for 2 weeks. This year it is around $800-900 for a standard SUV or minivan, using all the best codes and such I can find. Then use AS1 and bam, $445. The code no longer works BUT my reservation still loads and displays properly so I too am going to have to roll the dice and show up using the pre printed paperwork I have from completing the online bypass stuff.

I have in the past had luck with the gate agent addressing small issues like things coming up higher priced than on the paperwork I showed them due to taxes or a coupon changing so hopefully they can work it out right at the gate this time as well.

I'm really miffed about prices this year... But I guess this is what you get when more and more companies continue to get bought up by the same parent company and there is less competition.

Please post how the rental goes using the as1 code. We just got back a few days ago, but used national. I do have a minivan booked for October using the as1 code so will be watching if anyone has the code declined. I'll esp be watching if the price changes after drop off. Good luck, hope it goes smoothly.

What "difficulties" have been reported? At what point? Thought I'd saw some posts regarding booking, but have there been problems when picking up? My reservation starts next Friday, so a little nervous (as1 makes a HUGE difference).

Please post back your experience. Good luck.

Just asking to be sure, but has anyone is this thread used Alamo at MCO booking with the AS1 code yet? We are far enough into August I'd imagine someone must have, lol. But I also understand once many get down there and into their car, this thread goes to the wasteside until it all begins again in next years rental thread.

Please post how the rental goes using the as1 code. We just got back a few days ago, but used national. I do have a minivan booked for October using the as1 code so will be watching if anyone has the code declined. I'll esp be watching if the price changes after drop off. Good luck, hope it goes smoothly.
Have you checked your October reservation? I checked mine this morning and I get an error code when I try to view it.

Have you checked your October reservation? I checked mine this morning and I get an error code when I try to view it.
Here's a funny one. My august into September rental with AS1 shows up fine. Yet an end of September into October reservation made on costco's website for Alamo (no AS1 or any 'funky' codes, purely a Costco website made reservation) almost 8 months ago doesn't load up properly anymore on alamos website due to a coupon 'error'. Needless to say Alamo is a decent agency, I've been using them twice a year for many years now mostly trouble free, but their reservation system concerning already existing reservations (especially ones that the person has already pre registered for counter by pass) is a mess.

Last edited:

Yes I checked it after reading this news. I pulled it up via the insider account with no problem. I also printed it.

Do they ask to see a BJ's card when you check out?

Hi, This is the first time I am using my BJ's card to rent with Alamo (we only joined about 6 months ago). I will make sure I have it on me in case they ask. Since the trip is my DD and me, I like having the second driver for free. Joan

Just a heads up, I emailed Alamo about my October reservation and this is the response I received.

"Certain reservations booked with coupons may not have the ability to access our Online Checkin platform, as the counter would have to qualify the rental. I do see there is a coupon on this reservation that is restricting the Online Checkin."

Just a heads up, I emailed Alamo about my October reservation and this is the response I received.

"Certain reservations booked with coupons may not have the ability to access our Online Checkin platform, as the counter would have to qualify the rental. I do see there is a coupon on this reservation that is restricting the Online Checkin."
Hmm. So does that mean they are honoring the coupon? I was able to do online check in for our Sept-Oct reservation with the AS1 code. Didn't try to do Skip the Counter. Almost afraid to do anything with it. The rate with the code is almost half without it and frankly it was a driving force in our decision to drive down this year instead of fly. I did print it out. Hopefully not wont be an issue because I'm prepared to stand my ground on this.

I did online check in and printed off the confirmation to "skip the counter". This is for this Friday, using the as1 code. Hope all goes well, because rental cost without it will be double! I don't know when to expect the problem, when leaving garage or returning?

I used Costco 7014627 and the entertainment book $25 off $175 or over, AD2433jat. I checked in online, and skipped the counter and kiosk. I booked a luxury because it was only $233. I emailed them requesting an XTS to surprise my daughter, she thought we were taking the $133 midsize... The day before my trip Denise from Alamo called to let me know she didn't have one, but she had all her managers looking and she'd call me if she found one... 5 minutes later she called back.. Found one!
Outstanding service, with smiles from all. They held the keys and parked in the specialty section. It was very cool.
I returned it today. It was really a very nice car.... Heck, I drive a midsize at home!!

Nobody ever asked for my coupon or my Costco card. I did have both with me.
It was a fabulous experience

Last edited:
I did online check in and printed off the confirmation to "skip the counter". This is for this Friday, using the as1 code. Hope all goes well, because rental cost without it will be double! I don't know when to expect the problem, when leaving garage or returning?
If you can please hop back on here and let us know how it went once you're settled in on Friday it'd be appreciated. :-)

Good luck and most of all, enjoy the vacation!

I used Costco 7014627 and the entertainment book $25 off $175 or over, AD2433jat. I checked in online, and skipped the counter and kiosk. I booked a luxury because it was only $233. I emailed them requesting an XTS to surprise my daughter, she thought we were taking the $133 midsize... The day before my trip Denise from Alamo called to let me know she didn't have one, but she had all her managers looking and she'd call me if she found one... 5 minutes later she called back.. Found one!
Outstanding service, with smiles from all. They held the keys and parked in the specialty section. It was very cool.
I returned it today. It was really a very nice car.... Heck, I drive a midsize at home!!

Nobody ever asked for my coupon or my Costco card. I did have both with me.
It was a fabulous experience
That's awesome, thanks for sharing your experience. Out of curiosity, did you email a general Alamo email customer service email address or Alamo at the airport directly? Would you mind sharing the email because when my wife and I go back end of September into October I have a luxury booked as well and was hoping to get a Cadillac. We did a BMW they had last year, I think an X5, but I was really hoping to try a Cadillac this year. Thanks again!

Just arrived at MCO tonight around 930 and went to the full size aisle (we did online checkin) Only 4 minivans (We took a town and country) and 4 pickup trucks (big ones and smaller ones) Not a car to be found on the aisle! Worked out great for us - almost makes me ok with my rate of $313 (usually manage to get it about $100 less than that)

We arrive Saturday night at 930 stay till 9/1 rate $248 full size threw alamo.Last time we flew in late we got a minivan up grade ,hope it happens again.

Do you have to take a van if that is all they have in the aisle? I would not be happy accepting a Van when I booked a nice full size car. There is only 2 of us and a van would just be over kill.

Do you have to take a van if that is all they have in the aisle? I would not be happy accepting a Van when I booked a nice full size car. There is only 2 of us and a van would just be over kill.

I'm pretty sure Alamo and Enterprise (maybe National as well) are owned by the same parent company so if Alamo doesn't have what you want, when you inquire at the window they may be able to check with the other companies at the airport and get it for you. At least I'm fairly certain I remember reading a post last year from someone describing your scenario and Alamo got them their reserved class of vehicle from a different company in the same parking garage at MCO.

In my experience with Alamo at MCO for many many years now, they are VERY easy to work with and try and assist you the best they can.

I'm pretty sure Alamo and Enterprise (maybe National as well) are owned by the same parent company so if Alamo doesn't have what you want, when you inquire at the window they may be able to check with the other companies at the airport and get it for you. At least I'm fairly certain I remember reading a post last year from someone describing your scenario and Alamo got them their reserved class of vehicle from a different company in the same parking garage at MCO.

In my experience with Alamo at MCO for many many years now, they are VERY easy to work with and try and assist you the best they can.

You can also always "downgrade". Not ideal when you paid the higher rate but we have taken a midsized car even when we reserved a full sized car with no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter