Backstage Magic - June 2010

Hi, I am going on the July 18-24 trip too, and along with the actual trip, I am hoping to see Club 33 too! That has been my dream forever. I hope we all have fun!

How many people were on the June 20th trip? I believe that the last time I spoke to ABD that my group (Aug. 8th) had already booked 35 people (11 kids ranging from 6 - 14 yrs. old) so we'll definitely have a full group.

Can you tell me which color group ABD's fastpasses were for the WOC show? I actually booked a dinner package for this show on our free night in case ABD didn't get us passes but I can cancel it if they do.

I can't remember who but believe a few people from the June group were going to see Toy Story 3 at the El Capitan. How was it? My mom and I have tickets for this our first night out in LA (we arrive 1 day early).

Thanks,

meg

There were 38 of us in the tour. Overall I was really happy with the pace of everything, especially with that large of a group. We were usually within 15 minutes of leaving from whatever time we were told to meet, but I'm sure it could be much worse. There were a lot of us shoppers in the group, so we took much longer to get through the stops at Mickey's of Glendale and the Studios store.

Our fastpasses were in the blue section. As I posted earlier, you'll defiinitely want to get there by 7:30 if this will be your one and only shot at seeing WOC. While I'm starting to like the show more and more each time I see it (think I'm up to 5 or 6 times, all but one of them from the comfort of my DVC balcony), I just can't believe Disney didn't do more to ensure the maximum number of people could actually see the show. DH talked to someone in our ABD group who said they got there very early and thought they had a good area to stand only to have a person plop a kid on their shoulders when the show started).

Toy Story 3 was really fun at the El Capitan. When you tour the theatre in the morning they do the little curtain show they do prior to each movie, but it was really cool to be there in a full theatre and hear the appreciation everyone in the theatre had for that little extra touch. Everyone who has a ticket to the movie automatically gets admission to the little carnival-type experience they have set up across the street in the Hollywood High School parking lot--it was lots of fun with plenty of carnival games to play, Legos that DS was happy to spend lots of time building with, and characters to see.

Which Ambassador assisted Michael and Jaime? Or, was it one of the Plaids? Yay for the Michael praises!!! I was amazed they can remember everyones names as well. Michael is one of the best!!! :goodvibes

If I remember correctly it was Julie who assisted Michael and Jamie with the April group. I think she is a plaid.

There were 38 of us in the tour. Overall I was really happy with the pace of everything, especially with that large of a group. We were usually within 15 minutes of leaving from whatever time we were told to meet, but I'm sure it could be much worse. There were a lot of us shoppers in the group, so we took much longer to get through the stops at Mickey's of Glendale and the Studios store.

Our fastpasses were in the blue section. As I posted earlier, you'll defiinitely want to get there by 7:30 if this will be your one and only shot at seeing WOC. While I'm starting to like the show more and more each time I see it (think I'm up to 5 or 6 times, all but one of them from the comfort of my DVC balcony), I just can't believe Disney didn't do more to ensure the maximum number of people could actually see the show. DH talked to someone in our ABD group who said they got there very early and thought they had a good area to stand only to have a person plop a kid on their shoulders when the show started).

Toy Story 3 was really fun at the El Capitan. When you tour the theatre in the morning they do the little curtain show they do prior to each movie, but it was really cool to be there in a full theatre and hear the appreciation everyone in the theatre had for that little extra touch. Everyone who has a ticket to the movie automatically gets admission to the little carnival-type experience they have set up across the street in the Hollywood High School parking lot--it was lots of fun with plenty of carnival games to play, Legos that DS was happy to spend lots of time building with, and characters to see.

Thanks for all the information regarding the trip! :thumbsup2

So at Mickey's of Glendale, did they really only give you 30 minutes? Did you get any great buys? I'm a shopper like yourself so looking forward to visiting this store. :Pinkbounc

I'm really glad to hear that you liked Toy Story 3! :3dglasses I'm really looking forward to the whole experience of El Capitan!

Any tips you'd give to those of us going on this tour in the future? :)

Thanks,

meg

So at Mickey's of Glendale, did they really only give you 30 minutes? Did you get any great buys? I'm a shopper like yourself so looking forward to visiting this store. :Pinkbounc

I'm really glad to hear that you liked Toy Story 3! :3dglasses I'm really looking forward to the whole experience of El Capitan!

Thanks,

meg

My advice is rest up before you go and wear extremely comfortable shoes:rotfl:

My advice is rest up before you go and wear extremely comfortable shoes:rotfl:

Yeah, I know that would be great to be able to go well rested but somehow with working right up until I leave and getting ready for this trip don't think that's really going to be an option. It's a goal I'll try to work on though. :)

Thanks,

meg
I think they said 45 minutes for us, but it was much closer to 75 minutes until we all got out of there and were on our way.

My biggest tip for anyone going on the tour in the future is to tack on at least an extra day or two if you can swing it. We didn't have the opportunity to get on many attractions the two full days we had here and I felt bad for the 1st timers who weren't able to see and do it all.

Comfortable shoes are definitely a must. I wouldn't worry too much about what to wear--there was a great variety in everyone's clothing, but no one looked too overdressed or too underdressed. I'd say most of us had a little bit dressier shirt on for the farewell dinner, which was nice.

I think they said 45 minutes for us, but it was much closer to 75 minutes until we all got out of there and were on our way.

Any specific merchandise we should look for? I would love to get some Disney items that aren't available any other place!

Glad you all had a great trip!

Any specific merchandise we should look for? I would love to get some Disney items that aren't available any other place!

Glad you all had a great trip!
There were a ton of polo and varsity-style shirts at Mickey's of Glendale. Overall I was pretty disappointed with the selection of t-shirts--most were fitted--not flattering on a woman with any kind of a stomach! I bought a bunch of pins there, however...I think we got 11 Haunted Mansion ones and a Haunted Mansion mini-size pin bag. You should be getting one coupon for 40% off one item--we used our three (three of us in my family) to buy two polos and a Disney Imagineering pin bag.

The Studios store is odd--one side of it looks more like a traditional World of Disney store/Disney Store while the other side (very small) has Studios-specific merchandise. Again, there was a lot of varsity-style clothing there, something I have no interest in as a woman in my mid-30s!

My DL time is finally coming to a close--we're heading back to the parks shortly (just got done at an Aulani DVC presentation--and my DH actually resisted the "addonitis" urge he was feeling, so yay...I'm not broke) to see the special 4th of July holiday fireworks. Not sure why they have them starting July 1st, but works for me! Tomorrow morning we're leaving for Vegas for a few days and then it's finally back to PA.

AStamm - thanks for all the details and tips. I'm really glad that you all had such a great time and of course now I can't wait until my turn gets here to go. :cool1:

Have a fun in Vegas! My mom and I are actually heading to Vegas for a few days after our trip as well. I'm not a big gambler but like Vegas - I plan to take full advantage of laying out by the pool and the spa (need to rest up after my disney adventure). ;)

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

meg

There were a ton of polo and varsity-style shirts at Mickey's of Glendale. Overall I was pretty disappointed with the selection of t-shirts--most were fitted--not flattering on a woman with any kind of a stomach! I bought a bunch of pins there, however...I think we got 11 Haunted Mansion ones and a Haunted Mansion mini-size pin bag. You should be getting one coupon for 40% off one item--we used our three (three of us in my family) to buy two polos and a Disney Imagineering pin bag.

The Studios store is odd--one side of it looks more like a traditional World of Disney store/Disney Store while the other side (very small) has Studios-specific merchandise. Again, there was a lot of varsity-style clothing there, something I have no interest in as a woman in my mid-30s!

Thanks for the info! I can't wait to go shopping!!!

Thanks for the info! I can't wait to go shopping!!!

AStamm - thanks for all the details and tips. I'm really glad that you all had such a great time and of course now I can't wait until my turn gets here to go. :cool1:

Have a fun in Vegas! My mom and I are actually heading to Vegas for a few days after our trip as well. I'm not a big gambler but like Vegas - I plan to take full advantage of laying out by the pool and the spa (need to rest up after my disney adventure). ;)

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

meg

As I'm packing up this morning (a huge undertaking thanks to the MANY items purchased during the ABD!), I keep thinking, "I can't believe we're voluntarily going to a place where the forecast is 106 for today!". We're not huge gamblers either--on Sunday we're going on one of those Grand Canyon day tours and DS and DH are so excited to spend lots of time at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas.

I'm more like you, Meg...the plan for me is to lay out by the pool and read a good book as I attempt to recuperate from the almost two weeks of Disney-touring!

As I'm packing up this morning (a huge undertaking thanks to the MANY items purchased during the ABD!), I keep thinking, "I can't believe we're voluntarily going to a place where the forecast is 106 for today!". We're not huge gamblers either--on Sunday we're going on one of those Grand Canyon day tours and DS and DH are so excited to spend lots of time at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas.

I'm more like you, Meg...the plan for me is to lay out by the pool and read a good book as I attempt to recuperate from the almost two weeks of Disney-touring!

Yes, re-packing is not a lot of fun especially if you've done a lot of shopping while on vacation. Worth it but not a lot of fun. :headache: I've already discussed this with my mom and I think if we do any real amounts of shopping during the ABD portion of our trip that I may just have to ship some of it home so I don't have to lug it to Vegas.

We went to the Grand Canyon last year (stayed overnight at one of the lodges) and loved it! What an amazing view! Enjoy.

LOL - yeah, I'm going to Vegas in mid-August - can't wait to see what the temps will be then. Yikes! :scared1: Just remember that if laying out by the pool to do it either early morning or late afternoon. I'm not going to get into the whole dry heat thing (106 will still feel HOT) but you will not want to be out there at noon unless in the shade. ;)

Enjoy Vegas!

meg

Here's an odd one though--there's a group on the ABD this week with only 6 people. Michael is the only guide going and we were all shocked when he told us they were still having it with that small number of people.

Yup! I was one of those 6 and we had a great time! Michael did a great job, and I think we got a little more time on our own at the parks as a result of having such a small group. The one downside was that 4 of the 6 were not crazy Disney fans like me, and I was looking forward to meeting some other Disney geeks. :smickey:

Yup! I was one of those 6 and we had a great time! Michael did a great job, and I think we got a little more time on our own at the parks as a result of having such a small group. The one downside was that 4 of the 6 were not crazy Disney fans like me, and I was looking forward to meeting some other Disney geeks. :smickey:

Nice to read that you had a great time. Michael is the best! What was your favorite part of the tour? Did you get to see the Dream Suite or experience Club 33? How did you feel when you saw Walts Apartment? Pretty overwhelming for the fan, right? I had alot of Disney fans on both my tours, so I really do understand what you are saying. My first tour was full of web site writers, travel advisors, podcasters, and major fans. Wonderful people on both tours. I hope you post a trip report?

Nice to read that you had a great time. Michael is the best! What was your favorite part of the tour? Did you get to see the Dream Suite or experience Club 33? How did you feel when you saw Walts Apartment? Pretty overwhelming for the fan, right? I had alot of Disney fans on both my tours, so I really do understand what you are saying. My first tour was full of web site writers, travel advisors, podcasters, and major fans. Wonderful people on both tours. I hope you post a trip report?

We were asked on the last night what our favorite part of the tour was, and I still can't pinpoint one specific thing that was my favorite. All of the things that the normal tourist doesn't get to experience were so special! Visiting Imagineering was a great experience, and of course getting to go inside Walt's apartment was overwhelming. I also enjoyed getting to see Jim Henson Studios since I'm a big Kermit the Frog fan too. But just getting to go backstage at the parks and having such a knowledgeable guide was wonderful too. And with so few people on the tour we were each able to get a lot of one-on-one informal discussion time with Michael, so that kind of made up for the lack of other Disney geeks on the tour for me.

We did get some special treats - we got to eat at Steakhouse 55 the first night, we did get to see the Dream Suite, and Michael was able to get us World of Color fastpasses, of course getting 6 fastpasses was probably easier than getting 38 or 44 like some of the other groups. No Club 33 though - that would have been nice, but I knew it wasn't happening with all of the tours.

All in all it was a wonderful week! I'm really glad I was able to have had such a great experience.

, I keep thinking, "I can't believe we're voluntarily going to a place where the forecast is 106 for today!".

Not sure where in PA you are from, but the current temperature here in Allentown is 94. We hit a record of 101 yesterday.......

Not sure where in PA you are from, but the current temperature here in Allentown is 94. We hit a record of 101 yesterday.......

Not realizing I was logged in as my DH...

Central PA. We're finally home and I've started to work on the mounds of laundry. At some point today I hope to start reliving the trip by watching the first hour or so of video while burning a copy and downloading my pictures to start editing them.

Being out in the sun in Vegas was almost painful--there wasn't a cloud in the sky! I haven't braved the heat here yet other than a few minutes last night waiting for a shuttle pickup and unloading the car once we got home.

AStamm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter