Becky & Jason's Fairy Tale wedding 9/3/11 on Long Island - *complete*

Honeymoon - Final Day

Our last day we slept in a bit, got up, and packed up all of our stuff. I made sure to take some pictures of the towel animals before we left!

P1000703.jpg

P1000704.jpg

P1000705.jpg

We said goodbye to Port Orleans Riverside.

P1000103.jpg

P1000105-1.jpg

P1000107.jpg

We had breakfast at the food court. It was fine, though I've certainly had better breakfasts. But it filled our bellies and got us ready for the next leg of our journey.
P1000706-1.jpg

We waited for the Magical Express and then headed to the airport. The flight home felt really long because we stopped in Newport News on the way back. But it wasn't a transfer, it was to pick up and drop off passengers, but we stayed on the same plane. They requested that we not leave the plane, so we were stuck sitting there for an extra hour. It was annoying and I was tired, but eventually we arrived in New York. We then had to drive 3 hours to our new place in PA - I think we left POR at 11 am and didn't get home til almost midnight! But it was an excellent honeymoon, we had the most amazing time.

And that's it! I've done my wedding report and my TR - I'm going to do one more post with glad I did's, wish I did's, etc. I think for any weddings they could still be useful, even though I didn't have a Disney wedding. I won't post my vendor reviews here because they are probably not applicable to most of you since majority is Disney Brides and I was on Long Island, but if you're getting married on Long Island or this area and want reviews send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction!

Awww, I am SO sad your honeymoon is over. Now you won't have an excuse to post here all the time anymore. But you'll stick around, right?! :goodvibes

The towel animals are super cute. :D

And that breakfast looks like... standard fare. But I really want some bacon.

That's really annoying about the one hour layover! Bah. Sounds like a PIA. But I am glad you had a wonderful time, and I am glad you are home safe and are enjoying life with your new husband. <3

Awww, I am SO sad your honeymoon is over. Now you won't have an excuse to post here all the time anymore. But you'll stick around, right?! :goodvibes

The towel animals are super cute. :D

And that breakfast looks like... standard fare. But I really want some bacon.

That's really annoying about the one hour layover! Bah. Sounds like a PIA. But I am glad you had a wonderful time, and I am glad you are home safe and are enjoying life with your new husband. <3

I will definitely stick around, reading the other PJs! It makes me a little sad knowing that I won't have my own to update anymore though. :sad2:

Glad I Did
* Have an at home wedding. There are two major reasons why I am thankful for this. For $10,000, we had a wedding with 85 people in attendance (that's including everything we paid for for the wedding, like my dress, jewelry, tux, etc.). Those numbers would have been impossible with Disney, and I know certain friends and family members wouldn't have made the trip anyway. It was amazing to be able to have so much support from those 85 people so I wouldn't have wanted any less. Even though Disney is so magical and the pics are stunning on here, I also don't know if I could deal with some of the bad customer service some brides are given with Disney. Even waiting to hear back about questions for several weeks would have been driving me crazy (I really need to be in control of stuff like this). So perhaps a vow renewal someday at Disney, with less pressure, but I'm actually really glad I didn't choose it for my wedding.
* Use a florist. I was originally thinking about ordering flowers wholesale and putting the bouquets together myself. Seeing now how stressful and crazy everything was the day before, I cannot even imagine doing that. So while it cost me an extra $300 for flowers then I originally intended to pay, I think it was money well spent (and the flowers were beautiful, much better than I could have done on my own!).
* Have a super short, generic ceremony. I love it when people write their own vows, but I never would have been able to do it. I didn't think I would be as nervous as I was for the ceremony, but I was more nervous than I'd ever been in my life. If the ceremony had been really long or I had to actually say things instead of just repeat them, I might have passed out!
* Invite my Norwegian pen pal ;) I obviously never expected him to come all the way from Norway, but thought he might like to see the Save the Dates and invitations anyway. And then he planned a trip so he could be there! That really meant a lot to me and I know I have a friend for life, even if he's halfway around the world.
* Hire the DJ that I did. He was amazing! I gave him maybe 5 or 6 songs I definitely wanted him to play and told him my general tastes, and left the rest up to him. I like country music but am aware that a lot of people don't, and I wanted all my guests to be happy and dancing. The DJ played a perfect mix of country for me and other stuff - and still played tons of songs that I know and love. It was like he had raided my Ipod or something for every song that I like.
* A Disney honeymoon! Enough said.
* Dance and have a good time. We managed to make the rounds and greet everyone, but I'm really glad that I also spent time just having a few drinks and dancing with my guests. It was absolutely the most fun night of my life.
* Wear a veil! I was on the fence about it originally but I love how it looks in the pictures.
* Ask Jason's cousin to fill in as a bridesmaid. She was 14 at the time and super excited to be in it. We've grown really close in the past year and now we're pretty tight, so I'm really, really happy she could be a part of my special day.
* Ask my best friend to be my Maid of Honor. I knew that she was definitely the person closest to me, and if I needed someone to talk to it would be her. I'm most open and comfortable with her. But first of all I was worried my sister might be offended if I didn't ask her (she wasn't, she was actually flattered to even be asked to be a bridesmaid!), and worried that my best friend wouldn't be able to help much from Pittsburgh (she was amazing, was able to organize everything she had to do and we had weekly phone chats that really helped lift my spirits when things were stressful).
* I had an amazing wedding so I'm sure there are a million more things that I am glad I did, but those are the highlights for me. If anyone has any questions about anything specifically that I did and what I thought about it, feel free to ask!

Wish I Did
* Use a limo or car service. I'm actually not 100% sure if I would do this again, given the cost, but I would have at least looked into it and tried to find a deal. It ended up working out fine - my sister and brother had no problems driving - but it took forever to organize ahead of time (who's going to drive? Who will be in what car? Once everyone's drunk, how will we get them back to the hotel?). Plus, one of my BM's insisted on driving herself, even though I had arranged everything so only two people would have to drive. So she took her own car with her date and got lost on the way to the picture taking spot, and lost on the way to the reception (everyone else from the bridal party got there around 5:30, she didn't show up til 6:10 and it was supposed to start at 6). I think if we had a limo she would have felt obligated to come with us, which I would have appreciated.
* Told the DJ that I wanted the father/daughter and mother/son dances in the beginning. I guess I just assumed that's when they would be, but he did them right before dessert. I would have preferred to do it earlier, plus my dad had had a few drinks by then so it wasn't quite as sentimental as it could have been! :rotfl:
* Wait to ask my bridal party. We did it about a year out and while that doesn't seem excessive, I think if I had waited a few more months I would have seen more clearly who really belonged there.

Glad I Didn't
* Use a videographer. Obviously if I could get one for free I would want one, but given the costs it doesn't seem worth it to me and I don't miss it. We have video of the ceremony from the church (not great, but it's still there!), and I treasure still pictures more anyway.
* Have a Disney wedding (see above)
* Wear pierced earrings. I get a pretty bad infection from wearing pierced earrings now, but I really love earrings and wanted to wear them for pictures and the wedding. I hate the look of clip ons, so we experimented with magnets on the back of a pair. That ended up working exactly for its purpose. I lost one once dancing began and ended up taking the other one off, but as they were pretty cheap it doesn't bother me.
* Stress about the guests that didn't come. I had a lot of people absolutely promise they would come, only to back out at the last minute. It was extremely hurtful to me, and I unfortunately think differently about some people given the way they handled the situation. But I refused to worry about it on the day and that was a big relief.

Wish I Didn't
* Use the church's wedding coordinator. She was free, and I didn't want to burden a friend or family member with that responsibility, but she was awful. She was rude and screwed things up in the beginning of the ceremony. She didn't allow time for the aisle runners to do down so the bridesmaids and groomsmen came out at different times, and only one aisle runner was placed (we had two aisles). She also sent the ring bearers down way too early. And then she was lecturing the girls as they were walking down the aisle to keep their shoulders up, walk slowly, etc. It was just a nightmare and my least favorite thing about my wedding.
* This is really sad, but... ask one of my friends to be a bridesmaid. She wasn't necessarily bad, she just didn't add anything or do anything. She barely came to the wedding and missed most or all of the events leading up to it. I barely saw her at all that weekend. She also didn't try to reach out to me at any point during the planning - didn't call to see how things were going, would take weeks to respond to emails, etc. And she hasn't really contacted me since the wedding, except to write on my facebook wall one time. So it makes me a little sad occasionally to look at the pictures that she's in because they remind me of a lost friend.

-$10,000 for everything is AMAZING! (You had an open bar too, right?!) Seriously, that is so impressive, and I know weddings in your area can be rather pricey. You did fabulously.
-I’m glad you used a florist too! It sounds like you would have been stressed without one. And your flowers were beauty-ful.
-I am glad you invited Martin too… :rolleyes1
-I’m also glad about the Disneymoon! ☺ Are you glad you chose POR?
-See, I would have thought they did those dances at the beginning too. Oh well; what do we know?!
-I wish I had waited to ask my bridal party too. You live and learn.
-I’m so glad you didn’t stress about the guests too. I have given WAY too much stress to my guests already. You’re so mature, and handle things so well. ☺
-I STILL want to beat up that coordinator. Ugh. Srsly?!?!
-I’m also still sad for you about your friend. That’s still so crappy. I would have been a much better bridesmaid. ☺ <3

Aww, I've caught up just as you're wrapping up your PJ/TR. What a fantastic honeymoon! I really enjoyed reading about all the things you did and all the extra pixie dust you got along the way! I need to go catch up on your dining reviews now too, I was really enjoying reading those too!

Also congrats on the new kitty additions to your family! I'm also a cat-mommy to three cats (two named Remus and Lily from HP), hehe!

I cannot believe your PJ and TR are over. It's crazy! But thank goodness for them because it's what brought the FAB 5 together. <3

I cannot believe you had your wedding for that price, I'm so jealous! haha. It would save David and I so much money if we could get ours down. But the only way is to cut my guest list in half, which I don't see happening anytime soon. lol. ;D

So happy and excited for you and Jason to start your new life together!! Hopefully after the holidays we can get together!!

-$10,000 for everything is AMAZING! (You had an open bar too, right?!) Seriously, that is so impressive, and I know weddings in your area can be rather pricey. You did fabulously.
-I’m glad you used a florist too! It sounds like you would have been stressed without one. And your flowers were beauty-ful.
-I am glad you invited Martin too… :rolleyes1
-I’m also glad about the Disneymoon! ☺ Are you glad you chose POR?
-See, I would have thought they did those dances at the beginning too. Oh well; what do we know?!
-I wish I had waited to ask my bridal party too. You live and learn.
-I’m so glad you didn’t stress about the guests too. I have given WAY too much stress to my guests already. You’re so mature, and handle things so well. ☺
-I STILL want to beat up that coordinator. Ugh. Srsly?!?!
-I’m also still sad for you about your friend. That’s still so crappy. I would have been a much better bridesmaid. ☺ <3

Yup, we had an open bar - all of the searching for the best deal really paid off! I also used a lot of vendors that weren't strictly weddings - the caterer does a lot of non-wedding events so his prices were much cheaper, and my photographer shoots other events as well so she was also super cheap. They were both really difficult to find through the traditional wedding sites so I'm very lucky I found them!

Also, I loved POR. I had stayed there in high school when I took a trip with my dad and thought it was just beautiful. The place looks stunning to me, with the mansions and the river. I personally like it better than some of the deluxe resorts.

Oh, and the wedding coordinator goes to my parents' church, and she has been driving my mom crazy lately. They're on some committee and disagree about a lot of stuff, so my mom was complaining to me about how controlling she is. I'm like, believe me, I know! :rotfl:

Aww, I've caught up just as you're wrapping up your PJ/TR. What a fantastic honeymoon! I really enjoyed reading about all the things you did and all the extra pixie dust you got along the way! I need to go catch up on your dining reviews now too, I was really enjoying reading those too!

Also congrats on the new kitty additions to your family! I'm also a cat-mommy to three cats (two named Remus and Lily from HP), hehe!

Thank you! The extra pixie dust really made the trip fun - and definitely convinced DH to wear his groom ears! He didn't want to wear them at first so we compromised to wearing them for half the trip, but by the end he was telling me not to forget them!

And I love your cat names!! Remus is a great name for a cat, and Lily is such a pretty name.

I cannot believe your PJ and TR are over. It's crazy! But thank goodness for them because it's what brought the FAB 5 together. <3

I cannot believe you had your wedding for that price, I'm so jealous! haha. It would save David and I so much money if we could get ours down. But the only way is to cut my guest list in half, which I don't see happening anytime soon. lol. ;D

So happy and excited for you and Jason to start your new life together!! Hopefully after the holidays we can get together!!

Thanks! I know, I got super lucky with the budget. I definitely didn't want to cut guests if at all possible, so I know the pain. Hope you had a great holiday! We'll definitely have to meet up in 2012!! :dancer:

Becky,

That's awesome that you were able to have such a great wedding for under $10K. We managed the first time around to keep it under $12K and were really happy.

I can't believe the church coordinator! Wow!! I am so sorry that happened to you on your wedding day.

I stayed at POR for a girls trip and loved it! Glad you have had such great memories there.

Waiting on the bridal party seems to be a common thread. That is one of my biggest regrets. Sorry it happened to you too.

How are Merlin and Luna?

Over the past few days I've caught up on everything and I love it! You guys have some wonderful pictures at the park (I wish I had though to do some of them), Martin was great and you look so happy! Congratulations to you both!

Becky,

That's awesome that you were able to have such a great wedding for under $10K. We managed the first time around to keep it under $12K and were really happy.

I can't believe the church coordinator! Wow!! I am so sorry that happened to you on your wedding day.

I stayed at POR for a girls trip and loved it! Glad you have had such great memories there.

Waiting on the bridal party seems to be a common thread. That is one of my biggest regrets. Sorry it happened to you too.

How are Merlin and Luna?

Merlin and Luna are doing great! They seem very happy here now. Luna curls up in our bed with us at night, even going under the covers and sticking her head out on the pillow!

Over the past few days I've caught up on everything and I love it! You guys have some wonderful pictures at the park (I wish I had though to do some of them), Martin was great and you look so happy! Congratulations to you both!

Thank you! It seems everyone likes Martin ;)

So I am now officially marking this PJ as complete. It seems fitting to do it today, as I joined the DIS on January 1st 2011. It has been an amazing year. I'm so thankful to everyone who has followed along, commented, and offered support. Meeting all of you wonderful girls (and guys) has meant the world to me, and I truly believe I will have some friends for life from this group!

Looking forward to following along with the rest of your PJs! :grouphug:

So I am now officially marking this PJ as complete. It seems fitting to do it today, as I joined the DIS on January 1st 2011. It has been an amazing year. I'm so thankful to everyone who has followed along, commented, and offered support. Meeting all of you wonderful girls (and guys) has meant the world to me, and I truly believe I will have some friends for life from this group!

Looking forward to following along with the rest of your PJs! :grouphug:

I refuse to believe that your PJ is complete. ummm so you should start a PJ for your trip in 2013!!! :) :) :lmao:

:grouphug:

Becky,

I am so sad that it is all over. I got on to it too late to fully enjoy the ride, but not too late to become friends. That's a good thing.

I hope you and Jason (and the kids) have a fabulous 2012!

I did go back and start reading some of the older posts and can't believe I didn't realize that you were eastern Long Island. I grew up in Hampton Bays till I was 8 and even though I have lived all over the country since, I still consider it home. It is a small world, Walt was right.

:hug: I am so sad your PJ is over, but I'm so glad I'm friends with you. <3 Love you!

Me too! Now I'm looking forward to hearing all about your big day! :goodvibes

I refuse to believe that your PJ is complete. ummm so you should start a PJ for your trip in 2013!!! :) :) :lmao:

:grouphug:

Hmm, maybe I should start a pre-trip report for 2013... I'm going to be bored without a PJ to update! :rotfl:

Becky,

I am so sad that it is all over. I got on to it too late to fully enjoy the ride, but not too late to become friends. That's a good thing.

I hope you and Jason (and the kids) have a fabulous 2012!

I did go back and start reading some of the older posts and can't believe I didn't realize that you were eastern Long Island. I grew up in Hampton Bays till I was 8 and even though I have lived all over the country since, I still consider it home. It is a small world, Walt was right.

I'm so glad that you jumped on board even at the end. And that's so funny that you're a Long Islander too! Very cool :goodvibes

Hi Becky!

Looks like I'm a few years too late :rotfl2:

But I definitely just binge-read this whole PJ, and i just wanted to let you know that I think your wedding was absolutely beautiful :lovestruc And all for under $10,000- I'm impressed! And your honeymoon looked like so much fun! Disney World is definitely one of my dream honeymoon spots. But I kind of agree with you about getting married in Disney. I think I'd prefer to get married in my hometown, then head to Disney for the honeymoon.

Hi Becky!

Looks like I'm a few years too late :rotfl2:

But I definitely just binge-read this whole PJ, and i just wanted to let you know that I think your wedding was absolutely beautiful :lovestruc And all for under $10,000- I'm impressed! And your honeymoon looked like so much fun! Disney World is definitely one of my dream honeymoon spots. But I kind of agree with you about getting married in Disney. I think I'd prefer to get married in my hometown, then head to Disney for the honeymoon.

Thanks for reading, even if it is three years later! :rotfl:

I'm still really glad that we did the home wedding, because for our budget in Disney we probably would have only been able to have about 15-20 people there, and being with friends and family was the most important part of our day. However, we are hoping to do a vow renewal in Disney someday - maybe for 10 years!

Hey Becky,

Well since this got bumped up on the wedding boards I've spent the past 2 days reading through your whole story and I just wanted to thank you for sharing! Your wedding looks like it was amazing and I'm so glad you were so happy with so much of your wedding & honeymoon.

It's been such a pleasure! I hope you do get to do a VR in Disney because I want to read another PJ of yours in real time! <3

hi i was just wondering if you would be interested in selling any of the items you used for your centerpieces?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter