Best Sit Down Restaurants

I Avoid Bubba Gump's. I know where I can get better seafood in Florida. I don't trust chains for good seafood
Well, for us, Bubba Gump never equaled great sea food. It's an I want fried fish and french tries type place, a table service version of Captain D's with more options. We definitely never go there expecting a high end seafood restaurant. We simply enjoy it for what it is, and when the kids were little, it was a great option for our big family (relatively inexpensive for table service compared to other Citywalk options, wide variety of picky eater friendly options for kids and adults, and a loud fun themed atmoshere perfect for that amusement park feel).

Well, for us, Bubba Gump never equaled great sea food. It's an I want fried fish and french tries type place, a table service version of Captain D's with more options. We definitely never go there expecting a high end seafood restaurant. We simply enjoy it for what it is, and when the kids were little, it was a great option for our big family (relatively inexpensive for table service compared to other Citywalk options, wide variety of picky eater friendly options for kids and adults, and a loud fun themed atmoshere perfect for that amusement park feel).

That's okay. Look I'm from down here. I lived in a small beach town where it was readily available so yes I am very picky when it comes to seafood. But if you are just going for a quick bite with some shrimp and you don't have the time. LOOK I get it. It's not my cup of tea. If you are happy and satisfied that's all that matters.

It got location and for most it is fine and offers exactly what they need

That's okay. Look I'm from down here. I lived in a small beach town where it was readily available so yes I am very picky when it comes to seafood. But if you are just going for a quick bite with some shrimp and you don't have the time. LOOK I get it. It's not my cup of tea. If you are happy and satisfied that's all that matters.

It got location and for most it is fine and offers exactly what they need

I would love to hear what you do recommend for good seafood in Orlando or even Tampa. Bubba Gump has it's place, but that doesn't mean I don't still appreciate actual real seafood when it's just us adults out for a nice meal. I really love a nice fresh fish grilled or sauteed in a good wine sauce. I'm not a fan of salmon or grouper, but pretty much any other fresh caught fish I enjoy.

I think with a lot of these restaurants the experience can be inconsistent. Depends what staff/Chef are working that night and personal taste/expectations.

I'll add some of our experiences to consider from the last 13 years of going here.

In no particular order:

Mama Della's is a good example of this. We ate there twice last trip.

First time was an outstanding experience. My wife is minorly allergic to onions and doesn't like the taste of them. First time the chef was extremely accomodating and made a sauce for her pasta with out any onions and it was really good.
We went back a second time a few days later based on that experience. Different hostess and different chef. They weren't nearly as eager to accomodate and the result wasn't worth the high cost of a meal there. Based on that experience we won't be going back this up coming trip.

Bigfire - We enjoyed this meal. Food was good. Our server was a little weird and they are probably a little over priced, but what isn't over priced in the Orlando theme parks. We would eat here again.

Cowfish - Tried once a few years back. Food was decent. Not as good as some of the reviews, but decent burger. We didn't care for our server or the table they sat us at. That is probably the biggest reason we haven't been back. We would eat here again, but I do feel this place is over rated by some.

Margaritaville - We finally ate here last December after years of wanting to, but never going. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Not fine dining by any stretch, but we enjoyed our food and the young man serving us was outstanding. He really added to our enjoyment here and we will be going back this December.

Hard Rock Cafe - We have eaten here close to 10 times. IMO they have the best burger on Universal property. Full disclosure I've only had the burger here because they are that good I don't want to have anything else. My wife has had a few different things and she describes it as good food. Service has always been good. It's one of our go too places because the experience has always been good and it's so big you can almost always get a table with little or no wait. It doesn't get talked about much on Dis, but we enjoy it.

NBC Sports - Decent food. Decent service. Good place to watch sports. We've eaten here multiple times. It isn't fine dining. Don't order a steak here. Stick to the comfort food. Huge beer selection if that's your thing.

Toothsome - I'll echo most of the opinions on this place. The food is "ok". Service is decent. Atmosphere is great and deserts/shakes are really good. The big strike against this place now is it has become so popular you need advance reservations to eat here at the busy times of the year. We would eat here again, but it isn't good enough to make a reservation 30-60 days out for us.

Jake's at RPR - We have eaten here numerous times over the years. Food has always been pretty good. Atmosphere is good. Service has been hit and miss for us. Sometimes really good and a couple times really slow for no apparent reason I could see. If you are staying here it is a good place to eat if you don't feel like leaving the resort.

Mythos - My wife loves this place. I think it's just ok. LOL. We ate here again last trip. Our server was excellent. Food was decent IMO. My wife likes to eat here every trip. I would be ok with every 2nd or 3rd trip. Nothing wrong here just a little over rated.

Lombard's at US - Ate here for the first time last trip and it was really good. I had the fish and chips and enjoyed them. Service was also really good. I would eat here again. We are going to try the fish and chips at Finnegans this trip and see which it better.

Strongwater Tavern - We went here for the first time last trip. We only had drinks and dessert, but I will echo those who are raving about the service. They have a really good crew of people here. You can tell they all enjoy working at this place. That is a testimony to the management. We had 4 different people check on us to make sure everything was good. We didn't try the food yet, but considering how good the service is I would be extremely surprised if the food wasn't excellent.

I'm sure I'm missing a few. But these are the highlights off the top of my head.

I think with a lot of these restaurants the experience can be inconsistent. Depends what staff/Chef are working that night and personal taste/expectations.

I'll add some of our experiences to consider from the last 13 years of going here.

In no particular order:

First time was an outstanding experience. My wife is minorly allergic to onions and doesn't like the taste of them. First time the chef was extremely accomodating and made a sauce for her pasta with out any onions and it was really good.
We went back a second time a few days later based on that experience. Different hostess and different chef. They weren't nearly as eager to accomodate and the result wasn't worth the high cost of a meal there. Based on that experience we won't be going back this up coming trip.

Bigfire - We enjoyed this meal. Food was good. Our server was a little weird and they are probably a little over priced, but what isn't over priced in the Orlando theme parks. We would eat here again.

Cowfish - Tried once a few years back. Food was decent. Not as good as some of the reviews, but decent burger. We didn't care for our server or the table they sat us at. That is probably the biggest reason we haven't been back. We would eat here again, but I do feel this place is over rated by some.

Margaritaville - We finally ate here last December after years of wanting to, but never going. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Not fine dining by any stretch, but we enjoyed our food and the young man serving us was outstanding. He really added to our enjoyment here and we will be going back this December.

Hard Rock Cafe - We have eaten here close to 10 times. IMO they have the best burger on Universal property. Full disclosure I've only had the burger here because they are that good I don't want to have anything else. My wife has had a few different things and she describes it as good food. Service has always been good. It's one of our go too places because the experience has always been good and it's so big you can almost always get a table with little or no wait. It doesn't get talked about much on Dis, but we enjoy it.

NBC Sports - Decent food. Decent service. Good place to watch sports. We've eaten here multiple times. It isn't fine dining. Don't order a steak here. Stick to the comfort food. Huge beer selection if that's your thing.

Toothsome - I'll echo most of the opinions on this place. The food is "ok". Service is decent. Atmosphere is great and deserts/shakes are really good. The big strike against this place now is it has become so popular you need advance reservations to eat here at the busy times of the year. We would eat here again, but it isn't good enough to make a reservation 30-60 days out for us.

Jake's at RPR - We have eaten here numerous times over the years. Food has always been pretty good. Atmosphere is good. Service has been hit and miss for us. Sometimes really good and a couple times really slow for no apparent reason I could see. If you are staying here it is a good place to eat if you don't feel like leaving the resort.

Mythos - My wife loves this place. I think it's just ok. LOL. We ate here again last trip. Our server was excellent. Food was decent IMO. My wife likes to eat here every trip. I would be ok with every 2nd or 3rd trip. Nothing wrong here just a little over rated.

Lombard's at US - Ate here for the first time last trip and it was really good. I had the fish and chips and enjoyed them. Service was also really good. I would eat here again. We are going to try the fish and chips at Finnegans this trip and see which it better.

Strongwater Tavern - We went here for the first time last trip. We only had drinks and dessert, but I will echo those who are raving about the service. They have a really good crew of people here. You can tell they all enjoy working at this place. That is a testimony to the management. We had 4 different people check on us to make sure everything was good. We didn't try the food yet, but considering how good the service is I would be extremely surprised if the food wasn't excellent.

I'm sure I'm missing a few. But these are the highlights off the top of my head.

So true about being lucky on the night.

I had the worst burger ever at HRC, tried twice and it was still not correct, first was overdone and cold, second was raw with hardly any shrimp on top! Tom`s however was amazing, said it was one of the best onsite burgers he had eaten. So we`ll give it another try as his looked lovely.

And Margaritaville gets slated at times, but we`ve had excellent meals with lovely service, can`t go wrong with that, yes, not fine dining but for the price it has never disappointed.

And absolutely agree with never order a steak from NBC!!! Tom tried twice it went back both times and we have seen others send them back too...not sure whether it`s cheap meat but it was awful!!!

Strong Water however 😍......Best place in the whole of UOR!!!

I have to say that at Disney we go to the Boathouse for a seafood restaurants. It is very pricey very. But the seafood there is of good quality. They used to have wonderful baskets but they took them off the menu. Except last time the crab was just not good. It had hardly any meat Also Seasons 52 has some good seafood options. They have scallops and they taste so wonderful. I have friends in both Tampa and Orlando, I will ask for options. I do some great ones in Pensacola. Friends in Pensacola too.

I would love to hear what you do recommend for good seafood in Orlando or even Tampa. Bubba Gump has it's place, but that doesn't mean I don't still appreciate actual real seafood when it's just us adults out for a nice meal. I really love a nice fresh fish grilled or sauteed in a good wine sauce. I'm not a fan of salmon or grouper, but pretty much any other fresh caught fish I enjoy.

Oceannaire on I Drive close to the Convention Centre is excellent, some of the best seafood we have ever seen. Eddie V`s is very good too.

It`s a while since we`ve eaten here but Big Fin Seafood is also excellent for fresh seafood.

I have to say that at Disney we go to the Boathouse for a seafood restaurants. It is very pricey very. But the seafood there is of good quality. They used to have wonderful baskets but they took them off the menu. Except last time the crab was just not good. It had hardly any meat Also Seasons 52 has some good seafood options. They have scallops and they taste so wonderful. I have friends in both Tampa and Orlando, I will ask for options. I do some great ones in Pensacola. Friends in Pensacola too.

We`re going back to Boathouse this trip, it`s always been wonderful, but shame your crab wasn`t as good last time.

We`re going back to Boathouse this trip, it`s always been wonderful, but shame your crab wasn`t as good last time.
We love Boathouse! We've never been disappointed with their food and service. However, with this short trip, we will probably skip it:)

I'd be interested in the Pensacola recommendations as well. We go down to Destin every year, and sometimes stop in Pensacola or drive over for the day.

I'd be interested in the Pensacola recommendations as well. We go down to Destin every year, and sometimes stop in Pensacola or drive over for the day.

Recommended Highly: The Oar House. It is so good. Go to the marina. Our friends recommended this one and it was really good and very popular. It's fantastic if you want to have seafood and look at the boats

In no particular order:

GREAT review!!!! I will echo you on Cowfish......we ate there a couple years ago because of all the hype I've read about it--and service was bad, and the food was 'okay'. I just asked my wife if she wanted to try it again this trip, and that was a hard no, lol.

GREAT review!!!! I will echo you on Cowfish......we ate there a couple years ago because of all the hype I've read about it--and service was bad, and the food was 'okay'. I just asked my wife if she wanted to try it again this trip, and that was a hard no, lol.

Such a pity. I used to like Cowfish but the quality has gone down. For Sushi we go Orchid Court over at Royal Pacific.

The sushi is really good and the last couple time we have been it's been a quiet experience. Such a great reset after running around the park

Oh and a great breakfast place in Pensacola is The Ruby Slipper. Fantastic Ice Coffee and their French toast bites are so so good.

Last edited:
Bice is great since you are staying there. Otherwise, it is a little out of the way. Vivo is at the City Walk and is really good too.

I'm also a big fan of Big Fire (overpriced but the food is really good) and Pat O'Briens (hurricane's, crawfish etouffee and dueling pianos). Antojito's is solid. Cow Fish if you like sushi (I'm more of a sushi as an appetizer guy). The theming at Toothsome is spectacular. The food is meh. The shakes are awesome though, but extremely rich. You might want to split one with whomever you go to the parks with. And don't even think about having one if you are the slightest bit intolerant of lactose or you and everyone around you will pay a horrible price.

The rest of the places are chains that you can find in other tourist areas (Bubba Gump, Hard Rock, Margaritaville). Nothing special there.

I'd steer clear of NBC Sports. Service and food quality is subpar. Not even as good as your local Applebee's.

The offerings inside the parks are a little slim. I love Mythos for the ambiance, especially after dark. But the food is just ok there. Finegan's is your run of the mill Irish bar & grill. But the food is good and I think the service there is the best on property. One thing about the in park sit downs - outside of having to tip, it really isn't much more expensive to eat there vs counter service. And it is more relaxing and you get to drink as much water or soft drinks as you'd like.

Top 4 for food quality: Big Fire, Finegans, Vivo & Pat O'Briens.

Top 4 for ambiance: Mythos (by a landslide), Pat O'Briens, Big Fire, Toothsome
What menu items you recommend @ Pat O'Brian's? Mythos?

What menu items you recommend @ Pat O'Brian's? Mythos?
Pat O"Briens crawfish etouffee, Jambalaya, shrimp & grits and a hurricane is all I've ever had there. All are good, but I highly recommend the crawfish.

Mythos: not a huge fan of their food as noted in my post. But I love the atmosphere. Especially after dark. Spectacular views both inside and outside. I usually get the meatball appetizer and pad thai. Have gotten the beef tenderloin, but they undercooked it the last time. Some folks speak highly of the fork and knife grilled cheese and tomato soup. I hate tomato soup though, so I've never tried it. And I always get a Potion of the Gods to wash everything down. Tasty drink. One of my favorites at Universal.

We like snacking and drinking at Strong Water Tavern.
What is the best way to get there if you drive to Universal and have an Annual Pass? My husband uses a scooter and it is large so taking a bus doesn't work. Would we have to pay for parking even though we have a handicapped sticker? We don't have to pay at Disney if you have a reservation.

What is the best way to get there if you drive to Universal and have an Annual Pass? My husband uses a scooter and it is large so taking a bus doesn't work. Would we have to pay for parking even though we have a handicapped sticker? We don't have to pay at Disney if you have a reservation.
Actually, I just called. We can park, get a parking receipt, and if we spend $25 at the restaurant the front desk will validate the parking! Yeah! I've wanted to try the onsite hotel restaurants but haven't because of this potential obstacle. (We spend enough money!)

OK, one more question, if we wanted to spend an evening at Portofino, what would you recommend? What time are the opera singers? I can't find any mention of them on the hotel website. And if you wanted to catch them, which restaurant would you recommend?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter