• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Book on own or with TA?

DebHorner04

Earning My Ears
We're planning to go to WDW in June 2019. Already have the air purchased. The best price I can find online for staying at a Disney Resort is also the price quoted to me by a TA. Any value to using the TA instead of booking on my own?

It depends. Some of them will book your fastpasses and dining reservations for you, if you trust them to do that. I have a TA but I like to do my own reservations because I'm a type A control freak and if the TA can't get the things I want, I don't want to blame her. I'd rather see myself if things are available or not. But a lot of people are more relaxed than me and have no problem giving up that role. Allegedly the TA will be on the look out for lower prices along the way but I haven't seen too much of that myself. Personally, in the future I would use the TA if they can get me something extra or a deal but otherwise I haven't seen any real benefit. I've booked 2 trips with a TA, I think future ones I will just do myself.

I would never use a TA - u don’t know this person and you are trusting that they are making the pay,ents they should be and on time.

It’s much safer to book yourself

Depends on how hands-on you are. If you are using a Disney authorized TA they will monitor the discounts as they are released to try to get you a lower price, or you can do that on your own if you want to. I would ask your TA if they provide that service, and any other services as well; FP, dining, etc...

Depends on how hands-on you are. If you are using a Disney authorized TA they will monitor the discounts as they are released to try to get you a lower price, or you can do that on your own if you want to. I would ask your TA if they provide that service, and any other services as well; FP, dining, etc...

This!

I'm sure as many changes as I've made to my room my TA wishes I'd done it on my own. But I love that she will check any new discounts against what I have and make the change to the new rate if it is better.

My next trip I probably will use one. I want to control all my planning, but a travel agent to book the resort and keep on top of discounts etc is something valuable I think. They have faster/better tools than I do.

I would never use a TA - u don’t know this person and you are trusting that they are making the pay,ents they should be and on time.

It’s much safer to book yourself

Meh... I think this is subjective. If the TA messes up your travel plans and doesn't make your payments on time, they risk losing their commission. They are sales people at the end of the day, so they have incentive to get everything right.

By the same token, some people are inexperienced travelers. If I were an inexperienced traveler and added to that being overwhelmed by all the facets of a Disney vacation, I may not trust myself to book and do everything correctly and would prefer leaning on an experienced person to handle it for me and have someone to ask questions to.

So for the OP, if you are an inexperienced traveler, unfamiliar with Disney, coordinating a group of people, or just don't have the time/energy to do the planning, then I would recommend using a TA. Specifically an authorized Disney planner which usually will facilitate dining and fast pass reservations for you. For me, I am very familiar with Disney and find the planning to be half the fun, so I always opt to do it myself.

I usually do the booking myself, though I have used a TA and did for my trip that begins tomorrow! What ultimately decides it for me are the deals I can get with a TA -less than $300/night at the Poly? Sign me up! She would have made fp reservations and ADRs, but I like to do that, so the only thing she did other than booking was make the payments. And if it is a reputable TA, they’re gonna make the payment. My TA forwarded me all email confirmations, my trip is in my MDE, and other than the booking and payment, it’s no different than booking myself.

I've done it if it's a rate I can't get myself, like a travel agency has a block of rooms with a really good discount. Both times I used a TA, when my passholder discount finally came out it ended up being better, so I just contacted them and they rebooked it. It's definitely is a loss of control which I don't like but if it's a good enough discount, I'll do it.

I did it one time, to help a friend who had just started with one of the Disney-approved travel agencies. And it drove me crazy NOT to be in complete control of everything. I didn't like having to ask her to switch our resorts and make payments. And I ended up managing our dining and FPs because I'm a control freak.

If you want full control of your reservation then book yourself.
Once you go with a TA you can't contact Disney directly for anything to do with that reservation.
You have to go through your TA and depending on how many clients they have and what services they provide their clients they may not get back to you as quickly as you'd like if you want to change something, as a question, or especially if a discount drops at 5am and you want to take advantage of it.

Thanks everyone! I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to planning my vacations. I am also very familiar with travelling to Disney. If the rate is the same,I thought I'd book it on my own-----just wondered if there was any additional benefit. I prefer to book my own dining and fp. I appreciate all of your input!

I would use a certified Disney TA for room and maybe tix if a package was needed to get the discount. I would do everything else on my own. I usually book and do not change dates/hotels. I do change ADRs and FP a lot.

This summer I have changed dates, hotels, car rental companies, ticket options, ADRs, and FP several times. It's a good thing I did not use a TA for our upcoming trip, being so wishy washy.

I used to book myself but my last three trips I did room(s) and tickets thru TA. ADR and FP were on me. The quotes from my TA were far cheaper than anything I could find myself.

It is a personal decision. I refer people to my friend, a certified Disney TA. She is amazing, and will book FP, dining, and create inineraries for her clients. She was up all night just like the rest of us booking FD for her clients as soon as it dropped. With that said, I like to take care of my own reservations. I make changes I want, and am too much a control person to give it up.

I always use a TA. I like the fact that I have someone watching out for discounts for me and modify my reservation without having me spending time contacting Disney.

We're planning to go to WDW in June 2019. Already have the air purchased. The best price I can find online for staying at a Disney Resort is also the price quoted to me by a TA. Any value to using the TA instead of booking on my own?
I use a TA that offers agency-exclusive discounts for Disney resorts that are steeper than the WDW discounts. I think they book rooms at convention rates & pass on the savings to their clients.

Have used travel agents in the past for other vacations, but found unless they are actually familiar with the particular place you are going, they most likely are just looking at the same public information anyone else can find. Generally, they have no specific knowledge of your vacation destination. Most everything is now online and available for public viewing. I don't find they add any value and creates another step in the planning process you can just as easily do yourself at home from your PC. Airline tickets are typically bought online without ever having to speak with a live person.

If they offer exclusive disney discounts and/or have specific/recent knowledge of disney locations AND this is your first time going to disney, would be the only reason I would consider using them. If you go to disney frequently, you probably know more about your preferences for parks/hotels/meals then any travel agent.

Last edited:
For the last several years we have booked our room only, annual fall trip with a TA. They had great rates, plus I didn’t have to wait for the discounts to be released. I was able to make our reservations in February for November. They were even able to get us a favorite room, two yers in a row.

I do fastpasses & ADR’s myself. We are Anuual Pass Holders, so tickets are already purchased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter