Boosting your immune system

I've had 2 colds this winter so far so last week I've started added supplements.
Elderberry extract, I don't use the syrup as that contains more sweetener than elderberry.
I have also added a Vitamin C (contains zinc and echinacea too) powder to one of my water bottles each day.
We will see if it works.

Washing your hands will do more than any supplement and many of the supplements are nothing more than snake oil. Beyond a good multi-vitamin that has vitamin D3 and eating a diet full of vegetables most of these pills are a waste of money as is taking more than 100% of any water soluble vitamin. You are literally peeing your money away.

Also Tide will not boost your immune system so avoid those pods.

I agree however I don't always eat like I should so I have no problem supplementing with supplements ;)

Gargling with green tea---this subject matter was on the morning news.

There were some studies done back in 2010 with nursing home residents, and then later, a population of teenagers. The "garglers" had a significant reduction in cold and flu than non-garglers. Just do a search if you want to read up on it. Lots of links. It also appears that regularly gargling with salt water may benefit also.

Not really an immunity thing but it somehow has antiviral properties in the throat where the viruses tend to land and multiply.

My oldest started 4K this fall and we've all had 2-3 colds this fall and winter. (She hadn't been in a daycare or preschool prior--so this is our family's first exposure to classrooms.)

I made Elderberry syrup a few days ago with dried elderberries, local raw honey and water. I figure it won't do any harm and might help.

The really odd thing about boosting your immune system is that it can possibly make your symptoms worse if you've infected with a common cold virus. The common cold is extremely mild as far as virus infection goes. Studies show that there's minimal cellular damage from most cold viruses. What makes it bad is your body's immune response, which (outside of antibodies) generally does nothing to fight the virus. It's almost like having allergies.

About a quarter of common cold infections result in no symptoms. There's no evidence that it takes longer to get over the cold without symptoms.

The flu is another matter. A flu shot is probably the best way to fight it, although the shot might not cover all strains circulating.

The really odd thing about boosting your immune system is that it can possibly make your symptoms worse if you've infected with a common cold virus. The common cold is extremely mild as far as virus infection goes. Studies show that there's minimal cellular damage from most cold viruses. What makes it bad is your body's immune response, which (outside of antibodies) generally does nothing to fight the virus. It's almost like having allergies.

About a quarter of common cold infections result in no symptoms. There's no evidence that it takes longer to get over the cold without symptoms.

The flu is another matter. A flu shot is probably the best way to fight it, although the shot might not cover all strains circulating.

I have read this too. In some of the cases of the flu where there has been rapid death (most noted in the 1918 Spanish flu) it was due to an overzealous, supercharged immune system. Your symptoms are caused by your immune system response. If it responds to vigorously, it could actually kill you.

But for the purposes of this thread, I think people are saying with the words "boost your immunity" is really how can I correct deficiencies internally that might make me more susceptible to coming down with something. I think if the a few cells of the flu virus get into your body, you will get the flu... period...unless you have prior immunity either through a previous exposure or vaccine. Your body will fight it because it sees a stranger; hence giving you awful symptoms.

I don't know if you can truly boost your immunity. I think the marketers would like us to think their products will. But, of course, there are things to do if you are not in ultimate health.

1. Get the required amount of sleep.
2. Get a good amount of all food groups. If you can't, take a supplement, especially Vitamin D and zinc in the winter months, which people are notoriously deficient in.
3. Get moderate exercise. It's shown that people who exercise moderately a few times a week don't seem to catch as many things.
This along with a good probiotic and daily supplements. Those who are active that get plenty of sleep with healthy diets get sick less often.

There were some studies done back in 2010 with nursing home residents, and then later, a population of teenagers. The "garglers" had a significant reduction in cold and flu than non-garglers. Just do a search if you want to read up on it. Lots of links. It also appears that regularly gargling with salt water may benefit also.

Not really an immunity thing but it somehow has antiviral properties in the throat where the viruses tend to land and multiply.

Thanks for the reminder! I saw that too, and happen to have just made tea a little while ago. - Are you supposed to just sort of swish it around as you're drinking it, or spit it out after?

The news also mentioned using paper towels after hand-washing at home instead of shared towels. We've done this when stuff was going around before. The report makes me feel less guilty about not being environmental, though!

I have read this too. In some of the cases of the flu where there has been rapid death (most noted in the 1918 Spanish flu) it was due to an overzealous, supercharged immune system. Your symptoms are caused by your immune system response. If it responds to vigorously, it could actually kill you.

Yes, a cytokine storm, I think it's called?

But for the purposes of this thread, I think people are saying with the words "boost your immunity" is really how can I correct deficiencies internally that might make me more susceptible to coming down with something.

That, and good habits to limit exposure in the first place.

I worked in a preschool several years-lots of exposure.

Things I should do, but don't always: eat right (especially cutting down on sugar if you are sick, sugar lowers immune response), get enough sleep, exercise. Gargle (salt water or green tea is supposed to work)

Things I do:
Flu shot (and other vaccinations)
Nasal spray (just the saline kind, I used to do a neti pot sometimes but the whole brain amoeba thing scared me)
Multi vitamin (to include D, zinc)
Fish oil
Probiotic daily
Drink green tea (antioxidants)
Regular hand washing and disinfecting when I know there is an issue, but not being a germaphobe when it is not necessary

My DH also loves those zinc lozenges

Thanks for the reminder! I saw that too, and happen to have just made tea a little while ago. - Are you supposed to just sort of swish it around as you're drinking it, or spit it out after?

I suppose you could drink it but everything I read said to gargle. Not even just swish. Gargle so it hits the back of the throat. I plan on gargling and spitting.

The news also mentioned using paper towels after hand-washing at home instead of shared towels. We've done this when stuff was going around before. The report makes me feel less guilty about not being environmental, though!

Ohhh, I never use shared towels. I have been buying those Kleenex hand towels. But you're right, definitely not environmentally friendly. I think a shared bath towel, though, is a recipe for illness.

Yes, a cytokine storm, I think it's called?

Yes!

Gravol, for the stomach, that's the stuff. Never seen it in the US.

From my Googling it appears that Gravol is the same thing as Dramamine which is available over the counter here in the US.
Yes, they are both dimenhydrinate apparently. I'll trade you straight across for Bonamine (meclazine) which is not available here.

But for the purposes of this thread, I think people are saying with the words "boost your immunity" is really how can I correct deficiencies internally that might make me more susceptible to coming down with something. I think if the a few cells of the flu virus get into your body, you will get the flu... period...unless you have prior immunity either through a previous exposure or vaccine. Your body will fight it because it sees a stranger; hence giving you awful symptoms.

I don't know if there's really that much that can be done other than a flu shot. However, I've been hearing that's there's also been a run on antivirals like Tamiflu.

There's certainly an evolutionary advantage to a virus triggering cough or sneezing with lots of mucous. It helps it spread. But it doesn't really help the host overcome the virus. This is kind of technical, but the abstract is easy enough to understand:

http://bmjopenrespres.bmj.com/conte...cpc&utm_campaign=_BMJ_Open_Resp_Res_TrendMD-0
Abstract
Cough is a protective reflex to prevent aspiration and can be triggered by a multitude of stimuli. The commonest form of cough is caused by upper respiratory tract infection and has no benefit to the host. The virus hijacks this natural defence mechanism in order to propagate itself through the population. Despite the resolution of the majority of cold symptoms within 2 weeks, cough can persist for some time thereafter. Unfortunately, the mechanism of infectious cough brought on by pathogenic viruses, such as human rhinovirus, during colds, remains elusive despite the extensive work that has been undertaken.​

I never heard of gargling with green tea, that's interesting. I always heard gargling with Listerine will help prevent a virus/cold.

Yes, they are both dimenhydrinate apparently. I'll trade you straight across for Bonamine (meclazine) which is not available here.

Dimenhydrinate is just diphenhydramine with a stimulant to counter the drowsiness. Still makes some people drowsy though. I've heard some recommendations for just taking diphenhydramine as an anti-naseau medication if the drowsiness isn't an issue.

I wash my hands frequently.
I drink loads of water.
And I grow basil in the winter and use it for pesto, salads, soups, etc. Basil has antiviral properties.
So does garlic. ;-) (Garlic also has antibacterial properties.)

Note on the last two items: You'd probably have to eat a TON of either to have any impact, and neither would work as well as a prescription if you had an actual illness. But both basil and garlic have their good points!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter