Brother SE-270D Sewing/Embroidery Machine

I am soooo glad to see this thread! I was just asking about this machine on the budget boards! ;)

For those of you who have it, do you think it is a good machine to learn on? I do lots of crafts, including all of my daughters hairbows and jewlery, and now I am learning to sew. I found a really good deal on this machine but wanted to make sure I wasn't biting off more than I can chew! :scared:

I have the ULT2003 machine and LOVE it.

Does this machine take a floppy to download designs and use? That is what would deter me as a PE Design is another $700 to use downloadable designs. I also prefer to use larger hoops and I think this one only takes a 4x4.

Dawn

The 270D has a card slot, you have to either purchase prewritten cards or puchase a card writer. Mine cost $199 new off eBay. With the card writer you van download designs and then load the card. My car will hold like 6 designs at a time. The PE270D has a 4x4 maximum hoop size too.

Yes, the 270 is a good learning machine. I taught myself to sew on it, and if I can do that anyone can ;) I paid a little over $400 new for mine from WalMart when they were the hot item. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's simple enough that my 10 & 12 year olds have been using it for two years now. :)

this machine also has an optional large hoop which is a 4x6 as well as a smaller hoop, not sure of the size. I ordered the large one from a site online and received it with days. I haven't used it yet. I have seen the card reader at Walmart for 129.00. One of these days I'm going to get one of those... but first I really need to sit down and master this machine. I have all of the componets, just have not taken the time to actually get it going.

this machine also has an optional large hoop which is a 4x6 as well as a smaller hoop, not sure of the size. I ordered the large one from a site online and received it with days. I haven't used it yet. I have seen the card reader at Walmart for 129.00. One of these days I'm going to get one of those... but first I really need to sit down and master this machine. I have all of the componets, just have not taken the time to actually get it going.

Be aware that even though they sell a larger hoop it will not increase your sewing area. 100x100 (4x4) is the maximum that this machine will allow. That was one of my biggest gripes and is why I purchased my Babylock last year. I'm not familiar with the card reader from Walmart, is is also a writer that hooks to the computer? If it will do all that it's a pretty good deal. My writer will work with most any machine which was a big selling point for me. I concider it my best purchase. With a card writer you can purchase designs off the internet or purchase design disks (cheaper than cards in most cases) and load them onto the card. There is also software available, albeit very pricey, that allows you to manipulate designs and move them around. I also have a program called click and design 3D that allows movement of designs that I use occasionally. It was close to $200 alone. Feel free to email me and I can give you some links to design sites that I use. There are also free designs out there, I have a site for those as well.

Didn't realize the larger hoop would only allow the same amount of design.. how weird! LOL... Should have read up on it more...

Good info about the card writer.. will investigate that as soon as I get more in to the machine itself.. one of these days, I really am going to sit down and work with it.. honest! LOL

email me once you get into it and I'll be glad to share what I've found. I don't know where you're located but if you're in a city that has a Brother dealer you may have access to the Brother threads. As I mentioned the Robison Anton/Metther ones work good. I also have advice on using metallic thread as well. About that hoop, I thought the same thing, larger hoop, more embroidery room. Then, before I ordered it I talked to a man at one of the sewing shops online and he told me the hard facts, it just allows you to hoop more fabric, boo hoo. It made me regret buying the machine, but it is still a good little machine and will use all the Disney cards, which are trademark restricted to the Brother units, therefore if I want to do anything Disney I have to use the Brother, not the Babylock.

Thanks! You'd think I would have already figured this machine out.. I've had it almost 2 years.. haha..

I live in a small town in NC.. no brother dealer within 25 miles.. but I can manage to go to one.. when he's open.. haha..

I will be in touch with you when I get started.. I have so many questions... I've gotten frustrated because I'm sure I'm too impatient.. not the machine fault.. mine...

Thanks again!

Our Walmart has the card reader (PED basic) on clearance last week. It is worth the money for all the other projects that you want to do.

With the larger hoop you can add more designs at once on an item. I did my sweatshirt with many different Disney characters and at least I did not have to re-hoop every time.

Enjoy yourself, it is a lot of fun

Kathy

Thanks for that info! I'm going to get busy with this machine soon.. and really get things going .. I may be asking a lot of questions when I do!!

Where can I go online to get thread for this machine? I was doing fine with the machine just doing regular mending projects, then I tried the embroidery with regular thread just to see if it worked; no problem! There are no fabric stores near here, so I drove Joanne's Fabric's and guess what they had - Coats and Clarks! I bought some anyway since I had gone so far, along with tear away stabilizer and spay adhesive. I set it up, and it was a nightmare! Once I was able to get the thread to load (which I had no problem with before) the shirts seemed to be eaten into the machine! The bobbin went crazy and I had to cut it away and vacuum up the threads! So I went to the only other fabric store, which is actually a home designer shop. She had Gutermann, which she assured me would work. I had trouble loading the thread; it took at least 10 tries each spool. The first three colors worked fine, but then I got an error message warning me about possible damage. Tried to clear it and start again, and it happened again. Seemed all the top thread was jammed under the bobbin area! Had to cut it away and use a tweezer to remove the threads. So now I want to be VERY CAREFUL about the thread I use! I've seen some that were labeled for the Brother machine, but I don't think they were made by Brother. And there are too many choices for the others! I don't know what the get!

Thanks for the advice!

Where can I go online to get thread for this machine? I was doing fine with the machine just doing regular mending projects, then I tried the embroidery with regular thread just to see if it worked; no problem! There are no fabric stores near here, so I drove Joanne's Fabric's and guess what they had - Coats and Clarks! I bought some anyway since I had gone so far, along with tear away stabilizer and spay adhesive. I set it up, and it was a nightmare! Once I was able to get the thread to load (which I had no problem with before) the shirts seemed to be eaten into the machine! The bobbin went crazy and I had to cut it away and vacuum up the threads! So I went to the only other fabric store, which is actually a home designer shop. She had Gutermann, which she assured me would work. I had trouble loading the thread; it took at least 10 tries each spool. The first three colors worked fine, but then I got an error message warning me about possible damage. Tried to clear it and start again, and it happened again. Seemed all the top thread was jammed under the bobbin area! Had to cut it away and use a tweezer to remove the threads. So now I want to be VERY CAREFUL about the thread I use! I've seen some that were labeled for the Brother machine, but I don't think they were made by Brother. And there are too many choices for the others! I don't know what the get!

Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately that seems to be a problem with that machine and certain threads. I ruined several things that way. I think it also has something to do with your bobbin thread. Are you using "bobbin thread" or just any old thread? It really does make a difference with the embroidery. I use Sulky brand or one called Finishing Touch that say specifically "bobbin thread" on them. As I mentioned above I have also had good luck with Mettler brand small spools and Robison-Anton larger ones, but with the Brother machine you have to use the thread adaptor which is a pain. For this reason I now use my Babylock exclusively when I embroider, except for the Disney cards. I have also had the Brother do the same thing during regular sewing as well, in fact it happened just the otehr day when I attempted to take up the straps on my daughter's camisole.

I use www.icanhelpsew.com
They have Brother Pacesetter thread which I find is the best to use with the Brother machines. I have gotten hoops and stabilizers from them.
Good luck
Kathy

Thank you for th thread info. I'm going to check out the one place in our area that might have the threads I need before ordering. I had no clue about bobbin thread. I assumed you could fill a blank bobbin with the thread and be fine! wow.. the things you learn!!! :cool1:
Thanks again and have a wonderful Sunday!

Hi all!
Newbie to the forum and newbie to embroidery machines (finally stopped pining and did something aobut it!)

Just won a Brother SE-270D machine. Immediately after winning which I did a search for info and found this thread!!! So glad I did too... All the wonderful reviews about the machine has made me feel so reassured!

Wonderful forum and I so so eager to break open the box and start up my embroidery machine! (Wish me luck!!!)
-Leslie

congrats! I love my machine - I just run into problems when I try to embroider knit material like t-shirts.
I think I need a stronger stabilizer, but I haven't had time lately to experiment with it.

Wow.. congrats on the win!!!

So, have you played yet? I am still waiting for the machine to just get busy on it's own! LOL..

I've finally found some free time to play and hope to get a few things done this weekend... hope being the key word here!

Wow, glad this thread found me again!

I finally found thread that worked at a fabric store (not so close to home!). I ended up using Sulky. It has a nice sheen to it. It was a little more expensive, but it did not break or jam. Sometimes it takes me a few tries t thread, but not like the other ones! Once I get comfortable with the colors, I will try ordering online.

Thanks for all the help, gang!

Oh, and I've really enjoyed the machine for regular sewing, too. I made myself a dress for my Halloween costume. It was the first time in about a jillion years that I attempted a zipper, and it came out perfect!

Thank you for the warm welcoming!!!

I haven't taken delivery of my machine but hope the shipping is as quick for me as it has been for other winners of the Brother embroidery machine!!!

I love doing zippers!!! In fact I avoid botton holes and fudge with zippers all the time (can't find my button attachments for my singer machine). Now that I am a proud owner of the Brother SE-270D -- button holes are also going to be in my future!!!

I was wondering if a Brother Babylock large hoop will fit the machine?!!!?
-Leslie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter