Brother SE-270D Sewing/Embroidery Machine

Now there is a small hoop available that allows you to embroider cuffs. I've never done anything that small though. The preloaded designs and fonts are size set too, you can't reduce them, a real bummer. Another thing to remember is that these are not industrial machines, so a lot of times you wind up having to open seams in order to hoop, which can be a pain. I found that the straight legged sweat pants from places like WalMart are easy to open the leg seam, allowing you to embroider down by the cuff. I have also done designs on polos, but you have to be careful hooping stretch fabric, well, be careful hooping in general. It also will kill your hands if you have even a touch of arthritis, you have to tighten the screw down and tug and stretch.

Too bad you don't live near me, you could have bailed me out! LOL..... both my niece and nephew are expecting their first babies .. within a week of each other... my sister's first and second grandchild. I was going to keep them but have come to my senses and changed my mind... much to the disappointment of both ladies and to my sadness. I just can't do it... not only that, but my son and his wife are expecting their second child in May.. 3 babies only a few months apart? Oh man.. it was a hard decision, but I'm at peace.. finally...

Since you mentioned tTink, there is a whole card of just her available. Check ebay before you purchase the cards from your local sewing store, the cards run ~ $75-$100 on ebay, usually a lot higher at your local stores. Nothing is cheap. Also, stay away from the cheap embroidery thread, you'll see quickly that these machines don't like it. I use Mettler poly thread, Sulky works okay but it tends to break on my Brother machine. Robison Anton and Madeira are good too. I think that Robison Anton is the parent company of Mettler, but with the cassette system that the Brother uses, you are limited as to the size spool you can accomodate. I found that I had to use the spool adaptor to use the little mini cans, and if you sew metallic, you have to use a net and a metallic needle. I'm rambling now. :)

OMG! That's exactly why I probably don't live near you!!! I'd take those babies in a heartbeat! Creating them myself was not an easy and feel so blessed to have my two... but boy I'd have a football team (even at my age) if I could! Oh!!! I am SOOOO jealous!

Oh the things that could be Brother SE-270D embroidered with Disney characters (there -- still on topic) while they napped! :banana:

Since you mentioned tTink, there is a whole card of just her available. Check ebay before you purchase the cards from your local sewing store, the cards run ~ $75-$100 on ebay, usually a lot higher at your local stores. Nothing is cheap. Also, stay away from the cheap embroidery thread, you'll see quickly that these machines don't like it. I use Mettler poly thread, Sulky works okay but it tends to break on my Brother machine. Robison Anton and Madeira are good too. I think that Robison Anton is the parent company of Mettler, but with the cassette system that the Brother uses, you are limited as to the size spool you can accomodate. I found that I had to use the spool adaptor to use the little mini cans, and if you sew metallic, you have to use a net and a metallic needle. I'm rambling now. :)

Boy you have the goodies -- don't you!!! I am eager to get shopping for mine!!! Didn't realize the huge embroidery world!!!

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I didn't see even a tiny Tink preloaded.... but you are right, there are cards with her on them.

I SAW the prices on eBay and almost choked! And knoing that eBay is the price-competitive place, I figured I'd pay more in a store.

Saw something on TV, the other morning, about haggling. Might give that a try -- especially in this economy. And eBay gives me the power to walk away and still have a chance at a better price!

Hello all:
I found this group through google and was thrilled. I just purchased my brother 270D and a ped-basic card reader with card along with a small and large hoop. I'm very excited about embroidering. I have figured out how to write out full names using the alphabet built in the machine, but do not know how to make a full name using letters on the card which I have downloaded. As far as I can tell it can only be set one letter at a time which is a disaster for me as I'm not very skilled at this as it is. What am I doing wrong? Help.

That's the "Rub Stanely"... you can do basic things but if you want to combine images (ie letters) then you have to get a application that can do such things... I am still learning about all the options myself.

Thats' correct. You have to have software that will either digitize your own designs (very pricey software, think over $600) or a monogramming program like Monogram Wizard Plus (think $300) and a card reader/writer. I bought a few design CDs from someone on ebay that was digitizing three letter monograms, I would just line them up in the hoop, far left, far right and center, but they were not connected and you could tell. I can really tell now that I use MW+ all the time. Sorry. :(

Just purchased this machine, christmas present from my husband, im
so excited to use it, have to wait for christmas, have been buying thread
and accessories, etc on ebay too so ill be ready when i pull it out. anybody wants the seller information please email me. he said he has more.
they are refurbished,but, looks brand new! he does give refunds if not happy.
oinly 10.00 shipping. i cant wait!!! my girlfriend got one and she did throws for
my boys, they were beautiful!!!! any tips and hints are appreciated!!
thurstonandembrey@hotmail.com

mimms002:dance3:

Just got mine for xmas also! I actually set it up last night! Got the bobbin wound on the 3rd try! (I have NO Sewing experience other than stitching up a hole, fixing a button or putting scout patches on a scout shirt...but absolutely NO machine experience at all) And I was able to get the needle threaded without any difficulty at all! YAY.....I played around with a few different stitches on a scrap piece of fabric. So much fun!! Now...to tackle getting the embroidery part set up. Maybe later this week.

Any suggestions on thread would be great. What and where to buy. TIA!

-Cybermom

I have also just purchased this machine. When I found this board I was ecstatic!
I absolutely love this machine. So far (knock on wood) I have had no problems with threading,bobbins etc. Once my when winding the bobbin the thread did wind below the bobbin,that was a mess.

My question, has anyone used the cap hoop? If so can it be used to embroider pockets?

I love Disney and this site is now my new favorite site!

Hi, I'm trying to embroider my name on a jacket for work. Including spaces it is 19 characters. In the manual it says that you can use up to 25 characters. I've tried resizing using the size menu on the screen and I've also tried 3 of the 4 fonts that come on the machine....I can't get my 19 characters to fit. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also does anyone have PED Basic? I just installed last night... Any helpful tips. Does the resizing work well? Is that basically all the editing I can do with it?

Thanks in Advance!

Hi, I'm trying to embroider my name on a jacket for work. Including spaces it is 19 characters. In the manual it says that you can use up to 25 characters. I've tried resizing using the size menu on the screen and I've also tried 3 of the 4 fonts that come on the machine....I can't get my 19 characters to fit. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also does anyone have PED Basic? I just installed last night... Any helpful tips. Does the resizing work well? Is that basically all the editing I can do with it?

Thanks in Advance!

I take it you're using the preloaded fonts, right? Maybe of you rotate the design 90 degrees? I use Monogram Wizard plus software by Needleheads with a card writer (Amazing Box II). I can adjust size although the 4X4 hoop size limits waht you can do. I actually purchased a Babylock Ellure last year to get the 5X7 hoop area and still use all my brother stuff except the hoops and Disney licensed cards.

Right, I'm using the preloaded fonts. I have tried rotating it also. I'll have to look into the software that you are using. (I'm not sure how much more $$ DH is going to let me spend this soon after xmas though!!!)

I was looking at buying different fonts on ebay. I was hoping that they would work better. I thought maybe I could even resize them with the PED Basic software that I have. I may just purchase one to play around with. One seller is selling fonts for $6.50 and buy 2 get one free right now.

Thanks!

I admit I bought a few monogram fonts off eBay. Usually they are not manipulatable at all, or the three initial ones that I bought weren't. I paid ~$200 for the Amazing Box II, and about $300 at my local store for the Monogram Wizard Plus. Additional font packages run around ~$100 per pack. Here's a link to the Needleheads site: http://needleheads.com/

Robin,

Thanks for all the info!!! Yeah....$500 right now isn't in my budget...but hopefully in the future!

I went ahead and monogrammed my jacket. It turned out alright. I should have picked the bold font. Oh well....

Novice quesiton...can I cut the little threads in between the letters? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Thanks again!

Yes, by all means. What I'll do is use embroidery scissors and a pair of tweezers, hold the thread with the tweezers and snip reappy closely with the scissors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter