Brother SE-270D Sewing/Embroidery Machine

apparently my tension issue was indeed a user error

when you remove the thread cartridge and open the little henge door it has a click to close it firmly... opening it always feels like I am breaking it so I had not been crushing it into a closed position...

so closing it firmly and doing my best not to break it open my tension is fine

now embroidery... apparently if I use the thread I bought (seen in link above) in the thread cartridge rather than in the extender thing it works fine even though the spool is technically a tad over the Fill line. also it works best with the littlest spool topper thing rather than the one that is as wide as the thread... its a cone shaped spool and the top is narrower than the thread... but I need the spool topper thats larger than the actual spool top and not the thread

learning curve on this thing!

Now I will try T shirts
julie

Wash cloths are a good starting point too. With the t shirts be sure to hoop tight (tighten that screw really tight) and use a water soluble topper for the best results. when you're finished just tear it away and then mist with a spray bottle.

Hello
I've been following your discussion about the SE270D. I just received one as a gift and I've been playing with the embroidery designs. I would really like to do fancy monograms, but from what I've been able to learn I would need to buy the PED Basic and maybe the Monogram Wizard software. Are these compatible with a Mac? I don't have a PC with Windows. By the way you have all been very helpful with thread, bobbin, and stabilizer questions.
Thanks
Liz

Wash cloths are a good starting point too. With the t shirts be sure to hoop tight (tighten that screw really tight) and use a water soluble topper for the best results. when you're finished just tear it away and then mist with a spray bottle.

I used an iron on stableizer and it did great

I just didnt hoop it in the center because I was too lazy to measure and mark LOL

hooped it just fine though... I guess all those years of crossstitch help

Hello
I've been following your discussion about the SE270D. I just received one as a gift and I've been playing with the embroidery designs. I would really like to do fancy monograms, but from what I've been able to learn I would need to buy the PED Basic and maybe the Monogram Wizard software. Are these compatible with a Mac? I don't have a PC with Windows. By the way you have all been very helpful with thread, bobbin, and stabilizer questions.
Thanks
Liz

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the PED Basic, I have an Amazing Box II, I paid under $200 for it from an internet sewing store that I found through eBay. It works great with Windows, not sure about Mac. I just walked back to the sewing/computer room and found this on the Amazing Box: Amazing Designs Technical Support: 800-563-1691. Maybe they can help with your dilemma. They may actually sell a different box for Mac. Same thing with Needleheads, the maker of the Monogram Wizard software. They are super nice there, if you look on the website www.needleheads.com there is probably a contact email or phone number. HTH!

I used an iron on stableizer and it did great

I just didnt hoop it in the center because I was too lazy to measure and mark LOL

hooped it just fine though... I guess all those years of crossstitch help

You are too funny! I have used the iron on before, but the plain kind is cheaper. Back before Walmart "modernized", as in year before last for us, they had fabric and sewing notions. They would always have the Tear away on the bolt for like $1 a yard. I always stocked up so I am still in good shape. There is also a tear away that is water soluble, it's a little more per yard. The Solvy water soluble is about $2.5 a yard at Hancock, they also have the other types as well (on a good day). When doing purses that I'm making I will often use the sew in interfacing for stabilizer. I had a long conversation with a lady one day in Hancocks that had started out doing this for fun but is now in business in Auburn AL (college town). She was the one that told me about the topper, said when money was tight she would use saran wrap or sandwich bags, then pick it all off. Not me, if money's that tight I just won't embroider!!

I am a bit of a fabric collector so I have oodles of stablizer for other random uses... so far I have only done on scraps

I shop at joanns because its what is big and here and they have coupons weekly so 50% off hwatever cut of fabric is sexxy

I have PED basic but know nothing about it yet... my computer has an odd quirk and untill it gets fixed I dont want to add any software to it... this weekend perhaps and I will read the info to see about mac compatability

julie

I understand about being a fabric collector, when I was heavy into this I'd often just buy a yard or so if something caught my eye. It came in handy this Christmas when we ran out of white "snow" for the Christmas houses, out came the 1.5 yard of white fleece that I was going to use to make the funny pointy toed stockings with red and lime green. Younger DD came out this evening with some scraps from her Jack Sparrow costume from '06 and asked to have them for a "secret project" she has going on in her room. THis was one of my first major sewing projects with the Brother:

September06011.jpg

I just got the Ped Basic yesterday. (Very convenient that I was home sick from work and was able to play!!LOL:rotfl2:

I was able to download quite a few patterns. The only problem is that some websites do not give the hoop size and when you download the pattern it is unable to be used. I have not tried to sew these yet, I hope to this weekend.

I do have a couple of questions for anyone familiar with the PED basic:

First, when I am transferring my pattern to the memory card. A message pops up that states all the patterns already on the card will be removed.
the directions state you have to trload them again with the new one, does anyone know a way around this?

Second, one the pattern list,the designs that are crossed out(too big) cannot be deleted from the list..is there a trick for that?

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend TGIF:cheer2:

Just bought the 270D for my daughter who is expecting her first baby and our second DGD. I own 3 other embroidery machines- a Janome, Singer, and Bernina and am looking forward to learning about this new machine from all of you. I am hoping to get my DD hooked on embroidery.
Have read some of the previous posts and think I can learn a lot from all of you.

I appoligize in advance, I haven't read the entire thread! I was in Walmart today and noticed this machine on sale. I haven't sewn in years, other then cross-stitch and emergency hand sew repairs. Would this machine be totally beyond me? I wouldn't do anything complicated, just simple curtains and quilt top squares mostly. Thanks.

I appoligize in advance, I haven't read the entire thread! I was in Walmart today and noticed this machine on sale. I haven't sewn in years, other then cross-stitch and emergency hand sew repairs. Would this machine be totally beyond me? I wouldn't do anything complicated, just simple curtains and quilt top squares mostly. Thanks.

This is a super easy machine! I had NEVER sewn before and made that above costume by following the pattern instructions. The thread cartridge makes it increadibly easy to thread the machine, both of my girls, ages 10 & 12 now, were able to sew on it, thread the machine and run the embroidery part. IMO, the only drawback isthe 4X4 hoop size. That's why I purchased a Babylock Ellure, but I still kept the Brother as it's the only brand machine that will read the Disney embroidery cards, even though the Babylock is also .pes format.

Oh good golly more help needed

so I tame it... then I get all brave and decide to make my kid a Tshirt... ha

I start the Mickey and Minnie in the pink gown

I get to the dark pink and the bobbin thread ends up showing up on the top!

what can I do to save this!

How on earth once I get the stitching out can I start over at the hot pink thread and not at the beginning?

my tester worked perfect!

what did I do wrong
eeeek:mad:

Oceana, do you have the instructions? The reason I ask is I know how to do this but can't remember the exact event sequence, but, as long as you don't take it off the hoop, just start the design, then when it goes to the first color, you can advance to the next color until you find your spot. You can also go back either one stitch, or in increments of like 10 or more by holding down the back button on the screen. HTH!

Oceana, do you have the instructions? The reason I ask is I know how to do this but can't remember the exact event sequence, but, as long as you don't take it off the hoop, just start the design, then when it goes to the first color, you can advance to the next color until you find your spot. You can also go back either one stitch, or in increments of like 10 or more by holding down the back button on the screen. HTH!

Oh thankgoodness

now how without unhooping can I get more stableizer under there? and how can I cleanly get the threads out

any suggestions or hints for doing t shirts?

julie

This is a super easy machine! I had NEVER sewn before and made that above costume by following the pattern instructions. The thread cartridge makes it increadibly easy to thread the machine, both of my girls, ages 10 & 12 now, were able to sew on it, thread the machine and run the embroidery part. IMO, the only drawback isthe 4X4 hoop size. That's why I purchased a Babylock Ellure, but I still kept the Brother as it's the only brand machine that will read the Disney embroidery cards, even though the Babylock is also .pes format.

Thank you! I'm so glad to hear that since I'm basically starting from scratch. The last machine I used was the manual thread type, I was so afraid I'd be totally lost.

Ok I love my new machine. I'm learning to sew so I havent attempted the embroidery part of it yet but I have been told that this thread is the best for the brother machines. Has anyone used it.

Polystar embroidery thread

http://www.mrvacandmrssew.com/go/product/id/362

So far this machine sews very easily. I've been able to learn and have had no problems but I'm ready to move on to more complicated stuff like the embroidery now.

Ok I love my new machine. I'm learning to sew so I havent attempted the embroidery part of it yet but I have been told that this thread is the best for the brother machines. Has anyone used it.

So far this machine sews very easily. I've been able to learn and have had no problems but I'm ready to move on to more complicated stuff like the embroidery now.

Thatlooks good. I prefer the mettler/Robison-Anton, but that will give you the official Brother colors, so cool!

thats the kind I have

it works great IN the thread canister not in the adjust addition thingy

juli

thats the kind I have

it works great IN the thread canister not in the adjust addition thingy

juli

Thanks! I am pretty sure i'm going to get it. I've read some reviews of other threads being hard to match color even using the tables that are supposed to tell you which one to get. I would rather go with something that is numbered the way Brother does it as I am primarily going to embroider Disney.

Thanks so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter