Brother SE-270D Sewing/Embroidery Machine

I just bought mine yesterday
sharing it with my mom...
we are so excited
I spend $100. on coats and clark from joann fabric
then I found this board, and I took it all back, and purchased some on ebay
waiting patiently till it comes...
so is it good to start out with dish towels or what do you suggest I start with?
I am hoping to make fleece blankes for gifts this year and
maybe towel sets and hats and scarfs
all input is appreciated thanks
alot
:surfweb:

Towels are fine, I jsut suggest hooping tightly and using a topper, preferably a water soluble one. Check with your local Jo Ann or Hancocks Fabrics for some good books that give you ideas and advice. I suggest also going to this website : annthegran.com , there are lots of free designs out there if you have a card reader/writer. Also, Nancy Zieman has some good books.

I love all your tips. I just bought a brother embroidery card for my machine.
I noticed that some of the design numbers do not come up on my display. Is this because they are to big for this machine? If so can I buy the large hoop?

I am to a novice on this machine ,but I am trying to learn. I love it

I love all your tips. I just bought a brother embroidery card for my machine.
I noticed that some of the design numbers do not come up on my display. Is this because they are to big for this machine? If so can I buy the large hoop?

I am to a novice on this machine ,but I am trying to learn. I love it

Sadly this machine has a maximum hoop size of 4X4. If your card has some designs for 5X7 they will not sew out. Unfortunately a larger hoop will not solve the problem. For this reason I purchased the Babylock Ellure which uses the same .pes format but also has 5X7 capability. I still use my Brother for quick mending, although the Babylock is a dream.

Sadly this machine has a maximum hoop size of 4X4. If your card has some designs for 5X7 they will not sew out. Unfortunately a larger hoop will not solve the problem. For this reason I purchased the Babylock Ellure which uses the same .pes format but also has 5X7 capability. I still use my Brother for quick mending, although the Babylock is a dream.

Thanks so much. I quess I need to check out these things before I purchase the cards. I will look for cards that are specifically made for this machine.

Thanks again

Anyone have suggestions on where online to buy thread? I'm using Sulky right now and have had no problems with it!

TIA!

Anyone have suggestions on where online to buy thread? I'm using Sulky right now and have had no problems with it!

TIA!

I am looking for a good bargain on thread too. How does everyone feel about using the polyester thread to embroidery? The embroidery thread is nice but pricey. I would really like to find a good bargain on embroidery thread. I have checked ebay and I haven't seen a real good deal.

By all means use embroidery thread for embroidering. Regular sewing thread looks awful. I use the Mettler or the Robison Anton. Brother also has their own threads. You can get deals on eBay and from some of the online sewing centers. Stay away from the Coats and Clarks that Wal Mart and some Hancock Fabric stores sell. It's terrible and breaks constantly. Also, steer clear of the Mylar threads that Sulks sells. IF you must use a metallic get one from a sewing center and use a metallic thread needle.

Thanks again
I have tried both and they do look different. i just did not want to waste embroidery thread when i was learning. I have heard that Coats and Clark is not good for your machine. However I am really finding it difficult to find stores that sell thread. Locally besides the ever famous Wally mart ,Joanns Etc is the only other place to go. I wait for sales at Joann's but they are not always having sales when I need the thread.

Online is probably my best bet.however shipping does add to the price. Do you have a favorite site?

When you began machine embroidery did you buy the thread color as you neeed it or did you buy a certain collection?

Sorry for all the ????? but you have been very helpful :-)

Here's a site that has decent prices, I've used both Madeira and Robison Anton Poly thread, I like the spool type, but I think they may give you fits with the thread cartridge. A way around that would be to use the spool extender (did you get one with your machine?). If you have one, it's real easy to use, snaps on the cartridge. I also use the net to keep the thread from unravelling too quickly. Also, I usually buy as I need, but I am blessed with a decent mom & pop sewing shop here that has the little spools of Mettler. I have ordered the Robison Anton set from someone and am pleased with that thread, I actually think (but don't quote me because I may be wrong) that it's the same as Mettler, it's just they brand the small ones Mettler and give the larger spools the parent company logo.

http://www.threadandmore.com/default.asp

I've also ordered some things from Ann the Gran, http://www.annthegran.com/ register for her free site and you have access to tons of designs that you can download and load to a memory card if you have a card writer.

Hey guys new to this thread too

Got this machine for Christmas and have a few questions

I bought a case of the polystar embroidery thread because it was "made" for the Brother machines

http://www.mrvacandmrssew.com/go/product/id/362

it seems to work OK

If I squish the thread into the thread cassett it seems to be under the max height line... I assume it is too large

so when I use it on the extended thread thing the thread ends up getting itself out of the track and mucks up my embroidery... which frankly makes me feel grumpy

is it my thread???? do I need to use the netting over the thread? whats my issue

also I seem to have poor bobbin tension when I sew a basic straight stitch but the book clearly states that Brother sets that before it leaves the manufactuer facility... so other than change my upper thread tension what else would make the threads loop on the top of the fabric? is there something I am not getting?

I am going from using my kenmore for like the last 15 years all machine to this computerized thing and it has me quite overwhelmed

thanks
julie

Are you using "bobbin thread" or are you spinning a bobbin of embroidery thread? The reason I ask is that is one problem I HAVEN'T had. For the other problem with it running loose, try the netting, or , if it's just a little snug, just try (on a sample) it in the cassette maybe even without the top piece.

for regular sewing like straight stitch I am spinning a bobbin with the same thread in the upper spool and lower bobbin

I will try different stuff with the embroidery

thanks

julie

Are you using "bobbin thread" or are you spinning a bobbin of embroidery thread? The reason I ask is that is one problem I HAVEN'T had. For the other problem with it running loose, try the netting, or , if it's just a little snug, just try (on a sample) it in the cassette maybe even without the top piece.

DO you have any lingeree thread? It's finer than regular thread and works great for embroidery bobbins. ANother option is Brother or Finishing touch or Sulky cotton bobbin thread. All are a little heavier than the lingeree thread but work good too.

I think we have too many topics LOL

ok I have tension issues when I am doing regular sewing... straight stitches like for taking in my kids pants

The lower thread comes up looping the upper thread. In this case I am widing my own bobbins as I want red thread on BOTH sides of the fabric

when I am embroidering I dont seem to haev tension issues at all BUT my upper thread unthreads itself from the track... you know where the numbers are 2-6 then cut the thread then it threads the needle automatically... I will start an embroidery project and a few min in... the thread is no longer on track and I end up with a mess

julie

DO you have any lingeree thread? It's finer than regular thread and works great for embroidery bobbins. ANother option is Brother or Finishing touch or Sulky cotton bobbin thread. All are a little heavier than the lingeree thread but work good too.

I think we have too many topics LOL

ok I have tension issues when I am doing regular sewing... straight stitches like for taking in my kids pants

The lower thread comes up looping the upper thread. In this case I am widing my own bobbins as I want red thread on BOTH sides of the fabric

when I am embroidering I dont seem to haev tension issues at all BUT my upper thread unthreads itself from the track... you know where the numbers are 2-6 then cut the thread then it threads the needle automatically... I will start an embroidery project and a few min in... the thread is no longer on track and I end up with a mess

julie

That is too weird. Not being critical, but you're threading the way the diagrams go, right? I found that if I load the bobbin backwards it causes all kinds of problems, both on this machine and also on my Babylock. I agree about the same color bobbin for sewing though, ;). Also, are you loading the thread the way the cartridge says to? I think the thread has to feed a certain way. Just brainstorming here, I have no real input.

That is too weird. Not being critical, but you're threading the way the diagrams go, right? I found that if I load the bobbin backwards it causes all kinds of problems, both on this machine and also on my Babylock. I agree about the same color bobbin for sewing though, ;). Also, are you loading the thread the way the cartridge says to? I think the thread has to feed a certain way. Just brainstorming here, I have no real input.

yes I am certain I am following the threading directions for both the thread and bobbin... I am certain the bobbin is correct.

I watch the DVD that came with my machine and read the directions and follow the diagrams on the machine

I was thinking it was not really the bobbin tension but the upper thread tension and tried changing that but it didnt make a difference

I also tried using the spool of wound bobbin thread that came with my machine... certainly it isnt that I wound the bobbin wrong? but nope

I will call Brother today I think

thanks
julie

Boy I wish you luck. Did you get the machine new? The reason I ask is mine is now three years old and I didn't get a DVD or a prewound bobbin, boo hoo! Please let me know what Brother says, I'm interested since I ahve both that machine and a Babylock Ellure (same .pes format, larger embroidery area, more bells and whistles)

I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING DIFFERENT SITES FOR EMBROIDERY DESIGNS.
I KNOW NOW WITH THIS MACHINE, I HAVE A LIMIT OF 4 X 4.
URL W
I FOUND A WEBSITE needlework.ru
THIS HAS A LOT OF DESIGNS HOWEVER I WOULD IMAGINE THERE ARE SOME SCAM WEBSITES ETC. HAS ANYONE EVER USED THIS SITE FOR DOWNLOADS?

THANKS AGAIN

Boy I wish you luck. Did you get the machine new? The reason I ask is mine is now three years old and I didn't get a DVD or a prewound bobbin, boo hoo! Please let me know what Brother says, I'm interested since I ahve both that machine and a Babylock Ellure (same .pes format, larger embroidery area, more bells and whistles)

I bought mine factory referb... I am guessing the prewound bobbin was for testing it

I think I have the issue fixed

now to solve my embroidery issue

thanks
julie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter