Buy Riv direct now, or wait for VGF2? Help please !

I personally think Grand Floridan will always be WDW's flagship resort. RIV is nice in a JW Marriot kinda way (very nice resort, but not flagship). I would expect VGF to maybe cost a tad but more than RIV, but I don't think the cost delta at first will be very large at all.
So it really comes down to which resort you like more. VGF has the advantage to being about to walk to MK and take the monorail to Epcot (although you do have to transfer monorails), RIV has the skyiner to Epcot and Hollywood. 1/2BR may get harder to book at VGF after they add the studios, you would just have to be good planning out at 11 months. RIV should have more aviablaltity for 1/2BR closer to 7 months.

Cannot answer the question any better than it was answered above, but One fun upside to Resale (to ALMOST balance the stress of ROFR and longer timeframes) is you might find a sale with a lot of points banked - that allows you to add an earlier trip with the family for your "first" hooray, we own this. But if sales are slow, maybe you can negotiate some upfront points from Disney direct? I've never heard of that, but it is a "sales" situation - cannot hurt to ask if you are buying a fair number of points. Also, to add to your decision variables - if you are planning on leaving points as a legacy be sure to consider how you might want to own so there is a clear cut who-gets-what. IE: three kids = three memberships or point allocations, although you might want the same Use Year if you do different resorts, to make it easier to understand (sometimes only one family member actually "understands" how the timeframes work ;) and can help other family members better if all the same UY.

if you are planning on leaving points as a legacy be sure to consider how you might want to own so there is a clear cut who-gets-what. IE: three kids = three memberships or point allocations,
The easiest would be three contracts of equal sizes at the same resort, so that no disputes arise as to relative value of points at one resort vs. another. The trouble comes with buying direct instead of resale at first, because at least one contract has to be 150 points, so three kids would mean 3 contracts of 150 points each = 450 points $$$!

I agree resale BLT should be in this discussion. Best point chart that will ever be on the monorail, much better than RIV, for what I would argue is a superior property. Good diversity of floor plans for a larger family, and the extra bathroom in the 1BR/2BR.

The cool thing about resale is that you can always just sell if you change your mind. There are very few points in DVC history where you wouldn't at least break even after a year or two after a resale purchase. I plan to sell, so this matters to me.

Last edited:
Cannot answer the question any better than it was answered above, but One fun upside to Resale (to ALMOST balance the stress of ROFR and longer timeframes) is you might find a sale with a lot of points banked - that allows you to add an earlier trip with the family for your "first" hooray, we own this. But if sales are slow, maybe you can negotiate some upfront points from Disney direct? I've never heard of that, but it is a "sales" situation - cannot hurt to ask if you are buying a fair number of points. Also, to add to your decision variables - if you are planning on leaving points as a legacy be sure to consider how you might want to own so there is a clear cut who-gets-what. IE: three kids = three memberships or point allocations, although you might want the same Use Year if you do different resorts, to make it easier to understand (sometimes only one family member actually "understands" how the timeframes work ;) and can help other family members better if all the same UY.

When we purchased direct, because the use year hadn’t started, we received the prior years points. We purchased in February 2012 and 2020 with an April use year. We received points for 2011 and 2019 which they banked for us, essentially giving us “double” points for our first year.

family of 6, one is a new baby
You'll have a window (and myabe a sizeable one) where a 2BR will be the smallest unit you will be able to fit into---once you have six people aged 3+. So, I agree with you that the Poly doesn't make much sense as a home resort.

are scared about the resale restrictions ( no one anticipates need to sell, but it's smart to know the risk of a purchase
If you are paying cash (and you aren't dipping into your 3-6 month emergency fund to do so): don't worry about it too much. Yes, a RIV ownership might fetch less than a GFV[,2] on the secondary market, but it's not the difference between paying your mortgage and not paying it, even if things get bleak for a while. So, just buy the one that seems like the one you want.

On the other hand, if you are financing it: There are plenty of less expensive ways to make annual family vacations a priority than buying one of the two DVC resorts with the highest point charts directly from Disney.

I'm a big believer in the value of timeshare, and for exactly the reason you are considering one: The use-it-or-lose it nature of ownership makes vacations a priority rather than something you fit in around other things. But, there are lots of different DVC options at all sorts of different price points, even for a family that's going to need a 2BR for a while. For that matter, there are lots of non-Disney timeshares that can also serve as the "commitment to vacation" that you are talking about.

When we purchased direct, because the use year hadn’t started, we received the prior years points. We purchased in February 2012 and 2020 with an April use year. We received points for 2011 and 2019 which they banked for us, essentially giving us “double” points for our first year.

Just to clarify - when you purchase direct you receive current points and all points going forward. That is exactly what you describe "because the use year hadn't started". It's always in a UY so you received the current points. The distinction for direct is that they allow you to bank those points even though it's past the banking deadline. Some resale buyers have gotten that same exception over the years too. However with resale you can purchase a contract that has actual past years points already banked into the current year and current and all future points going forward. Other than when DVC used to offer Developers points as an incentive it's the only way to get what is actually an extra year of points.

Wouldn't the OP have the option do two studios at Poly since Poly has connecting studios?

Yes although that remains just a request and there have been a few reports, though it's been awhile, of people not having the request filled. If that were to happen then the parents would have to split up between rooms.

You'll have a window (and myabe a sizeable one) where a 2BR will be the smallest unit you will be able to fit into---once you have six people aged 3+. So, I agree with you that the Poly doesn't make much sense as a home resort.

If you are paying cash (and you aren't dipping into your 3-6 month emergency fund to do so): don't worry about it too much. Yes, a RIV ownership might fetch less than a GFV[,2] on the secondary market, but it's not the difference between paying your mortgage and not paying it, even if things get bleak for a while. So, just buy the one that seems like the one you want.

On the other hand, if you are financing it: There are plenty of less expensive ways to make annual family vacations a priority than buying one of the two DVC resorts with the highest point charts directly from Disney.

I'm a big believer in the value of timeshare, and for exactly the reason you are considering one: The use-it-or-lose it nature of ownership makes vacations a priority rather than something you fit in around other things. But, there are lots of different DVC options at all sorts of different price points, even for a family that's going to need a 2BR for a while. For that matter, there are lots of non-Disney timeshares that can also serve as the "commitment to vacation" that you are talking about.
Thank you so much for such a thoughtful response.

Yes although that remains just a request and there have been a few reports, though it's been awhile, of people not having the request filled. If that were to happen then the parents would have to split up between rooms.
We were hoping to do 2 studios if we buy at poly as that is usually less points than a 2 bedroom. We have a soft spot for poly as it was our first on property stay.

We were hoping to do 2 studios if we buy at poly as that is usually less points than a 2 bedroom. We have a soft spot for poly as it was our first on property stay.

That would be very likely to work. I'd be prepared though for the possibility that the connecting room request might not happen. I think it's unlikely just always good to be prepped for the possibility. There are several 2BR's though that are less than or just a few points more than 2 studios at the Poly plus you get the kitchen with larger fridge for drinks etc and even more important - laundry!

I agree with previous posters on blt resale. For a family of 6 the extra bathroom is key. Points go much further there too and you must own there to get the standard view rooms.

I bought Copper Creek as one of my home contracts. It has all sizes of villas. I cant imagine comfortably staying at a 1 bedroom as the kids grow. look at what you want to spend for a contract and how often you will go and then buy where you want to stay within your budget.
I would choose Grand Floridian over Riviera. no advantage to wait, nothing is getting cheaper.......

I bought Copper Creek as one of my home contracts. It has all sizes of villas. I cant imagine comfortably staying at a 1 bedroom as the kids grow. look at what you want to spend for a contract and how often you will go and then buy where you want to stay within your budget.
I would choose Grand Floridian over Riviera. no advantage to wait, nothing is getting cheaper.......
1- gfv is not for sale direct so resale only
2- resale contracts are WAY overpriced and will correct dramatically when gfv2 goes on sale
3- gfv2 will likely sell in the $207 range

WAIT, gfv will be cheaper to buy direct in the coming months vs resale today

1- gfv is not for sale direct so resale only
2- resale contracts are WAY overpriced and will correct dramatically when gfv2 goes on sale
3- gfv2 will likely sell in the $207 range

WAIT, gfv will be cheaper to buy direct in the coming months vs resale today

I can't agree with these points more. There is no reason to be buying VGF either via resale or direct (I don't think they will even sell it) right now. Once VGF goes on sale, the resale market will drop. I am seeing small VGF sales selling higher than I expect direct prices to be.

If you love Riviera, buy now before the price increases but if your heart is set on VGF then wait only a couple more months.

I own at both and want to add more points to VGF. I am waiting 1. To see how much they are selling direct and 2. How much resale will drop in response as it inevitably has to.

Resale restrictions were considered but Riviera was too much to my taste that I wanted to own there as I knew I wouldn't be happy with cheaper resale or non-restricted alternatives. In your case Riviera also has a vast array of room types and will be easier to secure 1-2 bedrooms for larger families compared with VGF adding a ton of studio rooms which may increase the scarcity of larger room categories. The initial 'sky is falling' response to Riviera's restrictions doesn't look like it's panning out either. A few posters that swore they would never buy there on these forums have now bought Riviera and seem converted to the property (including the owner of this forum).

Last edited:
I can't agree with these points more. There is no reason to be buying VGF either via resale or direct (I don't think they will even sell it) right now. Once VGF goes on sale, the resale market will drop. I am seeing small VGF sales selling higher than I expect direct prices to be.

If you love Riviera, buy now before the price increases but if your heart is set on VGF then wait only a couple more months.

I own at both and want to add more points to VGF. I am waiting 1. To see how much they are selling direct and 2. How much resale will drop in response as it inevitably has to.

Resale restrictions were considered but Riviera was too much to my taste that I wanted to own there as I knew I wouldn't be happy with cheaper resale or non-restricted alternatives. In your case Riviera also has a vast array of room types and will be easier to secure 1-2 bedrooms for larger families compared with VGF adding a ton of studio rooms which may increase the scarcity of larger room categories. The 'sky is falling' response to Riviera's restrictions doesn't look like it's panning out either. A few posters that swore they would never buy there on these forums have now bought Riviera and seem converted to the property.

That is me!!!! I am one of those who never thought I would love it like I do...and not only did I buy direct, bought a restricted resale too! I agree that if you like or love the resort, its a great place to own. I still believe DVC is too expensive to not choose a resort you know you would enjoy and want to be at a lot of the time. And, having bought restricted BLT in 2020 its was not a good choice when RIV is part of every trip. Fortunately, sold it in 2021 at a profit that allowed me to buy the resale at RIV.

Having restricted points works for anyone who really doesn't ever want to stay at RIV or the future resorts. Many owners are fine not staying there. But, for someone who wants to, then resale really may not be the correct product, no matter the price savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter