• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calena's quest for healthy living - advice welcome!

DOWN one lb this morning! Feels good. Went for a wog before breakfast/work. The weather is cooler now in the morning again, so it is "enjoyable" to be out there. I only went for 25 minutes and this seems to work that I can do that and get home to get ready for work, eat breakfast etc.
Yesterday afternoon we went for a swim and I was playing some games with the kids and my endurance in swimming is much better. Can't wait to tell my swim teacher. Only two more weeks of lessons, but I can incorporate what she has taught me in my swimming now!
Need to work on my water! Goal 10 glasses a day. I'm at 3 now!
Dnephew's wedding has been postponed so we are at a loss as to what to do on our vacation week the last week in August. Still looking for ideas. I thought we would just go to Tenn and visit my folks, but DH says that is not a vacation. I know what he means. I still want to hit the beach, so we may drive somewhere beachy (North Carolina probably - Outer Banks). Other options include Quebec City (I've never been or the kids and I know the boys would LOVE it) and then PEI. Last summer we did Maine and Cape Cod and that was fun.
It looks like I may be going to Colombia in November with my parents. I grew up there (in Cali - that is why I use Calena as my name here) since Mom and Dad were seminary professors there. Now they are invited back to do some graduate seminars and I am thinking of going with them. Have not been back in about 13 years! It has become so dangerous and stuff, but now things are suppossed to be better. Anyway, DH says I can go with his reluctant blessing! I would not take the kids, but I am really looking forward to going and just "being there" again. At the same time it is not a real safe destination and I know I would not have the freedom I used to have to go places etc. Anyway, still in the planning stages. IF I do go I would love to be at my goal! :rolleyes: Which is actually quite doable, she keeps telling herself as she eats her tuna salad and jogs down the road! :blush:

It is as hot here today as in Orlando 32C. Can't imagine walking around the parks in this, but I can imagine floating in the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon.... it's probably crowded though!
Was looking at weather different places as we decide where to go in late August. It has been so hot here this summer at least I am not desperate for heat/sun, but I would like to see the ocean. Cape Cod was too cold to swim in (although I did) last summer, so I was thinking further south still. Must talk to DH tonight.

Sounds like you are doing AWESOME!!! Now go drink some water to celebrate and we'll toast!!

Columbia sounds great. No, it isn't as safe as it once was, but would be a great trip nonetheless.

My DH also does not consider any trip that involves relatives a vacation. Guess it's a guy thing.

Have a great MOnday!!

Goodness Calena, your exercise program is great!! It makes me feel more energetic just reading it.

Good luck deciding on a vacation spot.

When I was growing up, we always went to east coast beaches in late August, just before school started again. It's a great plan. And the Outer Banks will be nice and laid back.

Congrats on another pound down! :)

Well, I sent in a booking request for a cottage on the Outer Banks (Cape Hatteras area) We will visit with my relatives in the Virginia area either on the way up or down. I am looking forward to the break. I know DH is really looking forward to it too. He works hard and he needs a change of scene! The thing that will be nice about the cottage is we have room to spread out and can just have light breakfast/lunch and eat out one meal a day which will be good. Now the fun part of researching for the trip begins!
Went for a wog this morning and it feels so good to know I "already" have done exercise. Anything I do after that is BONUS! Only one more week of swimming lessons which is sort of sad because I have learned a lot. Yesterday we had two new students and one is a former lifeguard. She was just passing me like crazzy! BUT I kept reminding myself I am only competing against myself!
Yesterday I had a great South Beach day! The day before, when DD,10, had a friend over was not so South Beach - I ordered pizza for the kids! :rolleyes: The good thing is I am eating tons of veggies now with so much fresh stuff!

Calena your trip is sounding more wonderful every time I read about it. Lounging on the beach would be SO nice!!

Have a great day! You're doing awesome!

You are going to have so much fun!!! There is a great seafood place...in Kitty Hawk, I think...called Awful Arthurs. Oh, and if you are passing through Norfolk, VA on your way, there is a great maritime musuem there (Nautilus, maybe?) that the kids would love. (I used to live in that area when I worked 2 seasons at the VA Stage Company).

I'm always having lifeguards pass me in the next lane at our pool as well. Sometimes, it gets me to push a little harder. Not that I try to keep up with them, but I think "OK, I'll finish this lap before you finish 2," then I pretend it's a victory ;)

Have a great day! :)

Have fun on your trip. I've never been to the Outer Banks but it always looks so beautiful on TV. Have a good time!

We are booked!!!!! I rented one of the cottages on stilts. It is grey/weatherbeaten looking on the outside and simple on the inside (but does have a dishwasher and AC if needed) and I think it will be great! It reminds me of a place we would go in Myrtle Beach when I was a kid sometimes. That house was since torn down and I guess high rises are there now. Anyway, we are going to Cape Hatteras which is further down the banks, but is suppossed to be less developed so I think/know DH would like that better! It is also close to Ocracoke (sp?) island where the wild ponies are and Ocracoke is suppossed to have one of the best beaches in the US. I'll report back!
I was OP yesterday and the scale is showing it but will wait (again) until Sunday for my official weigh in! I find I fluctuate a bit during the week and I can really link it to water consumption right now. The lesson is to keep drinking my water so I am less hungry and my body is working more efficiently to help me clean stuff out and lose weight.
I feel so good about my exercise this week! EVERY DAY! :banana: :banana: Off to swimming lessons. Will check up on journals later.

Hi Calena!

Sounds like everything is coming together for your trip! :goodvibes That's great!! :cool1:

Keep up the good work with your diet and exercise! :cheer2:

Have a great weekend! :flower:

I called this morning, right after my first post and a mistake had been made and our cottage was requested by the owners! So, I had to find another one. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper and my temples started throbbing! STRESS!
The good news - I found a cottage. It is about 350 cheaper
The bad news - It is a five minute walk to the beach (four lots off the beach) and not on the beach as DH wanted.
The good news - We have a cottage! :sunny: It actually looks nice. It is also in a bigger center so that will be better for grocery shopping... the only Food Lion on the island is there!
I'm glad we are going to Cape Hatteras because it seems the less developed area still. We will actually be near the Canadian Hole, which is funny. It is a great spot for swimming, kids and watching windsurfing.
Enough on that. Bad news - missed my first swimming class because I was trying to sort this out! I feel bad about that, but needed to make sure we got "something" for our vacation. Will have to jog later or swim. It actually started pouring here too so...
Christin - Thanks for the recommendations! I also want to do the Wright Bros stuff and go to the Lost Colony things. Looking forward to this trip.
:flower:

It is official. Another weigh in and I am down another lb so I will count it for this week. 18 lbs down! Can I make 20 by my vacation? I hope so! Off to a day of back-to-school and shopping in our nearby large urban centre - Ottawa. Always fun. DH is actually taking us so that will be nice.

I am wearing a pair of skinnier :) :) :) jeans! Not the skinniest end of goal 40 lbs off pair ( I don't own that pair anymore since I have not worn that pair for about 15 years!) but a pre-babies pair I have kept around as incentive. The fit and without making all oxygen be cut off from my lower body! They also fit without my having to lie on the bed to zip them up and contort my body in funny ways. I just pulled them on from a standing position and zipped. No flab was caught in the zipper either! So --- feels pretty good. It isn't jean weather right now, more shorts weather, but as I was changing after swimming I thought I would try them on and now they are staying on for the evening as a reminder not to cheat!!!! :cool1: So, I just drank my water and had a fudgesicle!
This morning went for a 25 minute wog. One of my neighbours came by last night and commented (positively) on my running. She asked if I was in training.

Congrats on your weight loss of recent and glad to hear you got your vacation booked and then got things worked out. Look at the beach being that far away - if the family wants to drive the car down there they can and then you can join them by walking or jogging!!!!! See, there are always positives to vacation :) :) :)

Keep on :banana: :banana:
Chris

Went for my wog this morning and one of my neighbours was running with her dog. We stopped to chat and she told me I had lost weight and I "looked really good" Needless to say - I FEEL GREAT!!!!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:
This just motivates me to keep going! The only problem is sometimes I get to feel cocky - hey, I look great. I fit in the skinnier jeans. I am doing good. The problem is while I am 18 lbs down I REALLY need to lose at least another 10-12 to be at a good place BMI wise and preferably another 22 to be at my goal!!!!!
I can do this. I can stick with it. I am sticking with it.
I actually feel so good that I went wogging again this morning. It was a much easier go. Looking forward to wogging on the beach in two weeks.

Hi Calena,

Congrats on the complement :cheer2: They can really set the day off right!!!!

I know what you mean about getting cocky. My WW leader talked about how the thing that got you started on your plan isn't the thing that keeps you going. Somehow we have to continually refocus or we get complacent.

You're doing great :flower:

Sunny

congrats on the jeans and compliment! must feel great! I can't wait to get into some skinnier jeans, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter