Can we talk WDW price inflation???

If you read the article it's more then just the price hikes. It's cutbacks, the smaller portion sizes and the continued nickel and diming that a lot of people are upset about.
All tying back to either having to raise prices, or cut back, which is what it says in the article, and which is all standard in this economy for almost all companies. At the end of the day, people don’t like paying more and getting less, which I understand, what I’m saying, is this isn’t just a Disney problem, and people hold them to a much higher bar, which to me just isn’t fair, and it comes off as whiny.

People seem to have a strong emotional tie to Disney, so they expect a lot more. Disney is muddling through all of this like everyone else, and they’re subject to the same issues, and price hikes. Holding them captive to something they cannot be right now is looney toons. Get with where the world is right now, and you may start to understand the choices Disney has made

Last edited:
All tiring back to either having to raise prices, or cut back, which is what it says in the article, and which is all standard in this economy for almost all companies. At the end of the day, people don’t like paying more and getting less, which I understand, what I’m saying, is this isn’t just a Disney problem, and people hold them to a much higher bar, which to me just isn’t fair, and it comes off as whiny.

People seem to have a strong emotional toe to Disney, so they expect a lot more. Disney is muddling through all of this like everyone else, and they’re subject to the same issues, and price hikes. Holding them captive to something they cannot be right now is looney toons. Get withwhere the world is right now, and you may start to understand the choices Disney has made
Holding Disney to a higher bar has nothing to do with emotional attachment, and everything to do with charging a premium for their product. They have been on this trend of price hikes and cost cutting long before Covid hit and now they are doubling down on it. Sorry if that sounds whinny but if I’m shelling out the cash to purchase a Ferrari, I don’t expect to get a Volkswagen in return…regardless of what the current state of the economy is.

Holding Disney to a higher bar has nothing to do with emotional attachment, and everything to do with charging a premium for their product. They have been on this trend of price hikes and cost cutting long before Covid hit and now they are doubling down on it. Sorry if that sounds whinny but if I’m shelling out the cash to purchase a Ferrari, I don’t expect to get a Volkswagen in return…regardless of what the current state of the economy is.
It's also the fact that while everything else is indeed raising prices, Disney is a "Luxury" item, not a necessity. Because of that the perceived value might feel decreased when you are getting squeezed every else. *shrug*. Just guessing here.

More like that Ferrari costs more, and some of the bells and whistles have been cut out on this model year

More like that Ferrari costs more, and some of the bells and whistles have been cut out on this model year

Fair enough…and with this Ferrari (at a higher cost) with the cloth interior and a center console that you can’t have access to it comes with a few caveats. You can only drive it on pre-planned routes that guarantee traffic jams unless you pay a $15 fee (per passenger) to avoid, which can only be done once per day at the next available time until they are sold out. Note however, that you can drive alternate routes after 2:00 PM but ONLY if you drive the previously reserved route prior in the day, and that is only an option based on availability and requires additional cost. An additional $15 (again per passenger) to access the ride share lane but that can only be utilized twice per week but the nice thing is about these premium routes is that you can pick from available times to best suit your schedule.

You will also need to make reservations to re-fuel this vehicle up to 60-days in advance and this is highly recommended as re-fueling stations book up quickly. Please note that there will be a $10 per passenger fee charged to your credit card if you choose cancel these re-fueling reservations less than 1-day prior or are a no-show. Please be aware that despite the charge for premium fuel (previously discounted with your driving club membership) only regular low-octane gas is currently available and is unknown when it will return. Ferrari highly recommends making re-fueling reservations on your original reserved driving route as availability after 2:00 PM on alternate routes that you paid a premium for cannot be guaranteed. Note that our pre-purchased discount gas card will no longer be available and uncertain if/when it will return.

Ferrari does appreciate your membership in our driving club and prompt payment of your annual dues that you have been religiously paying on time for the last 19-years, but due to unforeseen circumstances those will have to increase those as well.

Thanks again for your business as you are a valued customer, and we are confident all of our recent adaptations to these demanding times will bring you a more enjoyable driving experience. Please stay tuned for more exciting changes heading your way…

Fair enough…and with this Ferrari (at a higher cost) with the cloth interior and a center console that you can’t have access to it comes with a few caveats. You can only drive it on pre-planned routes that guarantee traffic jams unless you pay a $15 fee (per passenger) to avoid, which can only be done once per day at the next available time until they are sold out. Note however, that you can drive alternate routes after 2:00 PM but ONLY if you drive the previously reserved route prior in the day, and that is only an option based on availability and requires additional cost. An additional $15 (again per passenger) to access the ride share lane but that can only be utilized twice per week but the nice thing is about these premium routes is that you can pick from available times to best suit your schedule.

You will also need to make reservations to re-fuel this vehicle up to 60-days in advance and this is highly recommended as re-fueling stations book up quickly. Please note that there will be a $10 per passenger fee charged to your credit card if you choose cancel these re-fueling reservations less than 1-day prior or are a no-show. Please be aware that despite the charge for premium fuel (previously discounted with your driving club membership) only regular low-octane gas is currently available and is unknown when it will return. Ferrari highly recommends making re-fueling reservations on your original reserved driving route as availability after 2:00 PM on alternate routes that you paid a premium for cannot be guaranteed. Note that our pre-purchased discount gas card will no longer be available and uncertain if/when it will return.

Ferrari does appreciate your membership in our driving club and prompt payment of your annual dues that you have been religiously paying on time for the last 19-years, but due to unforeseen circumstances those will have to increase those as well.

Thanks again for your business as you are a valued customer, and we are confident all of our recent adaptations to these demanding times will bring you a more enjoyable driving experience. Please stay tuned for more exciting changes heading your way…
i get it, all i'm saying is that you can pretty much [INSERT NAME HERE] on any company right now, their changes may be different, but they all boil down to charging more, and getting less, or the same in return. This all comes down to value, if you don't see the value at WDW anymore, you may want to buy that Volkswagen haha

i get it, all i'm saying is that you can pretty much [INSERT NAME HERE] on any company right now, their changes may be different, but they all boil down to charging more, and getting less, or the same in return. This all comes down to value, if you don't see the value at WDW anymore, you may want to buy that Volkswagen haha
Yeah we get it too, and I doubt many on these boards has the expectation of Disney NOT increasing costs due do to current situations, as they have clearly demonstrated that trend prior to how things are now. Holding them to a higher standard when they charge a higher fee, most often way higher, cost for their experience and calling them out when it‘s become exorbitant is neither “whinny“ or “loony toons“ in my opinion, especially by those who have made a long term investment there.

Yeah we get it too, and I doubt many on these boards has the expectation of Disney NOT increasing costs due do to current situations, as they have clearly demonstrated that trend prior to how things are now. Holding them to a higher standard when they charge a higher fee, most often way higher, cost for their experience and calling them out when it‘s become exorbitant is neither “whinny“ or “loony toons“ in my opinion, especially by those who have made a long term investment there.
Again this all comes down to where you value Disneys offerings, exorbitant is subjective in this case. Clearly you don't see the value there, which is perfectly fine. I am targeting you in this case, but these boards constantly, and consistently complain about changes at the parks, no matter what they are, so taking that all into account, it does start to come off as a bit whiny.

Maybe it's just me, but more power to Disney if they can charge more and get it, that's good business. On a personal level, i would love to see prices come down, but i can't bring myself to complain about how the price increases aren't benefitting me, they never will. You should have more of a problem with the people who are willing to shell out all that money to go to WDW, rather than the company itself

Again this all comes down to where you value Disneys offerings, exorbitant is subjective in this case. Clearly you don't see the value there, which is perfectly fine. I am targeting you in this case, but these boards constantly, and consistently complain about changes at the parks, no matter what they are, so taking that all into account, it does start to come off as a bit whiny.

Maybe it's just me, but more power to Disney if they can charge more and get it, that's good business. On a personal level, i would love to see prices come down, but i can't bring myself to complain about how the price increases aren't benefitting me, they never will. You should have more of a problem with the people who are willing to shell out all that money to go to WDW, rather than the company itself
IMO I don't find it whiny at all. I have noticed more negativity from the hardcores then ever before. People would be ok with the price increases if all the perks hadn't been cut. Charging for FP when it once was free and stopping AP sales has made a lot upset. As far APs goes, my Cedar Fair pass gives me more perks then what Disney does.

IMO I don't find it whiny at all. I have noticed more negativity from the hardcores then ever before. People would be ok with the price increases if all the perks hadn't been cut. Charging for FP when it once was free and stopping AP sales has made a lot upset. As far APs goes, my Cedar Fair pass gives me more perks then what Disney does.
I disagree, maybe to a lesser degree because for some reason blanket upcharges seem to go over better, rather than changing anything at all, but people would still complain. I do think that Disney has underlying reasons for making some of the changes you've mentioned above, outside of profits, but i don't want to rehash all of that right now haha

You should have more of a problem with the people who are willing to shell out all that money to go to WDW, rather than the company itself

I’m Not going to complain about others willingness to spend their money on anything…now that would be whining. Besides I didn’t purchase my DVC contracts and paid associated dues to them, let alone annual passes that terms changed post purchase, those funds went to Disney.

Rather than continue the verbal jousting despite how the conversation has been derailed to the track of complaining about complainers and if warranted or not, moving forward I’ll do what has been mentioned countless times already and talk with my future spending. It’s very unlikely until the masses follow suit will changes be made to benefit the Disney customer. Peace out and have a Magical Day all.

If WDW sees prices reaching a level where attendance drops, they'll offer discounts and increase marketing until they get attendance where they need it to be. Their pricing is more a factor of monopolistic demand -- they are the only DISNEY -- than price gouging or the like. If that demand drops for reasons of price or disinterest, WDW will react accordingly. Until that happens, then WDW is doing what they are fiducially obligated to do -- increase revenue and profitability for their shareholders.

They aren't doing generational damage. I think the positive memories of WDW come for single visit visitors more than repeat visitors -- repeat visits anywhere tend to generate more dissatisfaction. So if someone comes ones as a child, they re more likely to want to share that experience with their child than someone who has been to WDW so many times that they are very aware of all the flaws.

One things also to remember about WDW that I think is important. For parents, I think Disney is more about the photos than the actual day-to-day experience of the parks. Not photos in a bragging way, but the crystallized memories they create. I don't remember much about my DD's first few visits to WDW, but I do marvel at watching her hug Piglet from being to his knees to being taller than him. Those are the pictures that will make her want to bring her own kids (or my grandkids one day) to the parks, and even with COVID and limitations, WDW is very good at making those kids of memories.

They aren't doing generational damage. I think the positive memories of WDW come for single visit visitors more than repeat visitors -- repeat visits anywhere tend to generate more dissatisfaction. So if someone comes ones as a child, they re more likely to want to share that experience with their child than someone who has been to WDW so many times that they are very aware of all the flaws.
I think that's a good point, i can't tell you how many times we've gone out to restaurants, (pre-covid) fell in love with them, only to be let down the next time we went. I begs the question of, is the restaurant not performing, or are out expectations too high, i could definitely see it being the latter

If WDW sees prices reaching a level where attendance drops, they'll offer discounts and increase marketing until they get attendance where they need it to be. Their pricing is more a factor of monopolistic demand -- they are the only DISNEY -- than price gouging or the like. If that demand drops for reasons of price or disinterest, WDW will react accordingly. Until that happens, then WDW is doing what they are fiducially obligated to do -- increase revenue and profitability for their shareholders.

Do you have any evidence to support that (bolded text)? Because it belies why people become repeat visitors in the first place.

No body except to pay the same prices as they did last year. But we want fair price increases. Not them charging what ever they want as Christmas party at $229.

No body except to pay the same prices as they did last year. But we want fair price increases. Not them charging what ever they want as Christmas party at $229.
If people are willing to pay for it, and see value in it, then that by definition is a fair price 😂

Exactly- we used to get the Ferrari - still do but the tires are flat and the car has dings.
Unfortunately for us, we remember Disney World from the very first year when the resort did provide magic. Actually, is was great through the Eisner years. Things began going downhill with Iger. It became less about the experience and more about build, build, build.
We used to fly to Disney World at least a couple of times/year. Now, we have 1 grandchild who has not been. After my husband and I take him, we're done. The food is like Golden Corral at Ruth's Chris prices. The lobbies of the deluxe resorts are gorgeous but the rooms are no better than a Hilton. Animal Kingdom stands out more with a savanna view but the location is not convenient and the rooms are small.

Really makes me sad because we did have so many good vacations at WDW over the years.

Being a WDW fan is like owning a boat. You know the value isn't there in any way except the quality of life and moments you love. When you start thinking about the $$ more than you get to actually enjoy the boat, it's time to sell the boat.

Normally this is true. The crazy thing is right now I can sell my boat that I bought new a couple of years ago and get more money than I paid for it. If I didn't love it so much and being out on the water I certainly would have sold it and made a nice profit. Crazy world we live in right now. :goodvibes

I understand the parks lost a lot of money being closed. But Disney is such a huge corporation that they can absorb the hit. Regular people may not be able to.

But even if Disney COULD absorb the cost, WHY should they? Out of the goodness of their heart? Lets just say - for the sake of amusing ourselves that upper management agreed. How long do you think that would last before the Board of Director's fired them all? Lets say for the sake of argument that the BoD didn't fire them all - how long do you think that would last before the shareholders fired the board?

I don't love the steep price increases. I love seeing the top dog get beaten.

Except judging merely on numbers, the top dog is actually doing pretty darn well. You must not be watching the fight too closely.

I think you're missing my point.

When little Johnny or Susie is introduced to Disney parks as a young tyke through repeated visits, my premise is that he or she can be imprinted with overwhelmingly positive feelings that extend into adulthood and adult buying decisions.

If those visits aren't happening as often, then 20-30 years down the road those warm feelings from childhood won't exist and those decisions to buy Disney products or services won't be made to the same degree.

1. If we were talking about DLC, you would be correct. For WDW, as has been stated time and time again, Disney does not plan on high repeat visitors for WDW. Approx 70-80% are generational visitors.
2. Again, the numbers do not agree with you. Disney is full. BOOKED UP SOLID. SOMEONE IS TAKING THEIR KIDS TO DISNEY. END OF STORY. Any argument that Disney is sacrificing and driving people away is null and void as long as the parks are driving at high throttle. If the parks were ghost towns, you would have a very valid argument.
3. This is the tricky part.... Which would be more likely to drive people away? An expensive visit, or a visit where the parks were so full you couldn't do anything? Right now they have the problem that the parks are so full the trip is not enjoyable. One could argue they are addressing your exact concern - by raising the price to lower the crowd so that the trip is more enjoyable to those who go. If we are talking about a kids memory; a single visit to WDW that is full of fun moments is going to be overwhelmingly better for the brand than many visits of overcrowded, misery. Kids do not know anything about money. They don't care or understand how much mom and dad put on a credit card to go. If they go once and have a great time, that's more powerful that going many times and having just okay or worse - really bad moments.

If anything the rarity of a special trip is probably going to be more imprinting on a child's memory than many just ok repeat visits.

Do you have any evidence to support that (bolded text)? Because it belies why people become repeat visitors in the first place.

Been said many times by many upper management over the past 50 years. DLC depends on a lot of local traffic. WDW is the same coin on the other side - driven more by generational visitors. The numbers vary largely, but generally float around 70-80% local for DLC and the reverse for WDW.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter