Canon SD400

michboro

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have the Canon Elph SD400? I was thinking of buying this camera, and wanted to know how you liked it.

I own the Canon SD 200 and want to caution you about an issue with this series of cameras. I bought my camera this past summer specifically for a cruise. Half way throught the week, the LCD screen just broke for no reason that I can discern. Within a day, the whole camera completely died. Canon insisted that I must have damaged it somehow, but I can't for the life of me figure out anything that would have caused the screen to break. I was not happy about this especially when it caused me to miss out on half a week's worth of family vacation photos! :(

After doing some online research I found that this is a common problem with the Canon SD series of Elph Powershots. After talking to two different Canon customer services reps (who both insinuated that I dropped the camera or something) I sent the camera in to their repair facility. I was surprised when I received an email back saying that they would fix the camera for free. From what I had read online they usually charge about $150 for this type of repair that is NOT covered under the warranty.

When I got the camera back it "seemed" to work but then I had memory card issues...many different types of error messages coming up. I re-formatted the card as I was told after calling technical support and even tried using a different card. Sometimes I could actually take a photo but then when I would try and download it to the computer all I would get was a thumbnail.

After several calls, Canon agreed to pay the shipping costs for me to send it back to get repaired AGAIN. So far the only cost that I have incurred is the shipping fee to send it in the first time. However I am irritated that I have had the frustration of trying to deal with this. I just sent the camera back yesterday so I'm waiting to see what happens now.

I love the camera when it works...it takes great photos and is so small that it is easy to carry. However I must caution you that the Canon reps told me that it wasn't intended to be carried in a pocket...you "MUST" carry it in a case they said! Now doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a "pocket sized camera"??? :confused3

Yikes! Sounds like Mathgal is having a tough time with her camera. Bummer.

I've owned the S30 in the past, I currently own the S1 IS and the 300D. My uncle owns the SD200 and a friend and my dad both have the A75. Every one of these cameras have been working great. It sounds like Mathgal got a lemon. If you're concerned buy from a place with a good return policy.

I like the Canon point and shoots. I've always thought the colors look better than the competition. But that's just me.

Try it out in a store and see if it feels right to you. Bring in a memory card and take some test shots. Also, check out DPReview.com for an in depth review of this camera (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd400/ )

Hope that helps with your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter