Carsland here we come - Update 23/10

Yikes, my spidey senses went on alert just reading your story :rotfl:. That sounds quite scary and I think you handled the situation so amazingly well in terms of getting the kids out of there but without them knowing anything was up.

Your wife and the 1 hour walk and the petrol station and the dodgy cabbie had me in a slight sweat. Thank goodness it all worked out, whew.

Other than the "danger danger will robinson" stuff, sounds like another awesome day.

Ms. Shuttergirl said:
Yikes, my spidey senses went on alert just reading your story :rotfl:. That sounds quite scary and I think you handled the situation so amazingly well in terms of getting the kids out of there but without them knowing anything was up.

Your wife and the 1 hour walk and the petrol station and the dodgy cabbie had me in a slight sweat. Thank goodness it all worked out, whew.

Other than the "danger danger will robinson" stuff, sounds like another awesome day.

I am glad we has all our scary moments on the one night hours apart and thankfully nothing more than some stories to tell! It may have been a dose of paranoia but i was not hanging around to test the theory! My wife was most serious though about sending me the cab number though to track her down if needed!

Mum from oz said:
Sounds like a great day, apart from that woah scary moment! :scared:

It was great and one of the reasons we chose to stay in the north this time was to take it a bit easier on the day trips and not do the commute up from Anaheim and run the risk of big traffic jams.

Great entertaining reading, thanks for the update. Re the walk from the Hilton to Universal Studios. Would you have any concerns with doing it during daylight hours? ( our kids will be aged 9&7)

Caroline NZ said:
Great entertaining reading, thanks for the update. Re the walk from the Hilton to Universal Studios. Would you have any concerns with doing it during daylight hours? ( our kids will be aged 9&7)

I wouldnt have any problems doing the walk in daylight. We did do it the next day. Not sure about night time though. I guess we were expecting something similar to the city walk to hotel walk ways at orlando where there seemed to be plenty of lighting and security around.

Loving reading along. I know what you mean-sometimes spidey senses start to tickle-always wise then to take note just in case and yes, not to scare the kids. I would have been a bit freaked out if I was your wife on the long walk, let alone the cab ride but nice you were both able to see the concert (how you managed it after the long haul I don't know though). Memorable nights all round! Glad your son didn't get too crook and hoping your hints of others likewise were mild doses. We haven't made it to Universal on either side of the country yet so enjoying hearing all about it-I wanna' meet donkey!! Looking forward to more.

Aussie Wendy said:
Loving reading along. I know what you mean-sometimes spidey senses start to tickle-always wise then to take note just in case and yes, not to scare the kids. I would have been a bit freaked out if I was your wife on the long walk, let alone the cab ride but nice you were both able to see the concert (how you managed it after the long haul I don't know though). Memorable nights all round! Glad your son didn't get too crook and hoping your hints of others likewise were mild doses. We haven't made it to Universal on either side of the country yet so enjoying hearing all about it-I wanna' meet donkey!! Looking forward to more.

We certainly forgot about our jetlag in a hurry in those first few days but I normally plan it that way to acclimatize quickly ( minus the scary bits of course....that just drives the adrenalin). Both concerts were the best we had seen . We have seen him 4 times before. He just seemed so much more at home / relaxed in his home country/adopted town......I am hearing there is a DVD coming as they filmed the night I was there. Might be part of history!

August 26

So a nice sleep in today was followed by a big Buffet breakfast for the last time. I will miss having pork buns for breakfast ! Back up to the room for a clean up, pack up, shower and then finally a convoy of kids and bags to check out about 1130am.

I had booked our transfer down to Anaheim for 230pm to ensure we could check straight into our next hotel so we used the spare time to pop back up to city walk and grab a few tshirts and souvenirs ( we found some shops up there that were really well priced for that kind of stuff...3 tshirts $20 etc..) and we made a point of going back to a place the kids had found the previous night called IFLY which is an amazing indoor skydiving centre. It's run by these jet engines and you hop into a clear chamber ( in front of everyone in the city walk and projected on their big screen too) and with the help of a guide get to experience skydiving. Well our kids thought it looked great , and for $40 each with a 25 briefing session and 2 minutes of flying said it was the highlight of their trip. Www.iflyhollywood.com

After being on cloud 9 ( literally) it was time to pop down the hill, say goodbye Hilton universal city and grab our shuttle to Anaheim. Our van was waiting as we arrived back and with a quick toilet, cafe ( coffee, water and chips purchase for the ride) the luggage was in and we were off!

The transfer was quicker than I thought. Took approx 55 minutes ( but I guess it was a Sunday) and before long we pulled up at the mega sized Hilton anaheim with the marriot hotel opposite and the huge convention centre next door. Boy was this place big. It's around 1400 rooms and reminded me a lot of the Vegas hotels ( minus the slots).

Checkin was a simple task and before long arrived up on the 7th floor to move into our family room for a week. The room was huge ( we paid $150pn) and had 2 queens, sofa , study desk, kitchenette and separate bath. Best of all a reasonable view of DLR. slight glitch in the fact that the sofa wasn't a sofa bed as had been promised but rectified shortly after when 2 foldouts arrived. Much more comfortable for the kids as they got there own bed but did use up a bit of the room. Anyhow it was still massive for our needs.

Quick trip down to the pool deck to try out the kids area and pool. Not much of a pool for all those guests but the addition of the kids water area ( a miniature version of the hojo one) was enough to keep them occupied for a while and cool down.

As time was getting on we decided to make a trip up the road to the garden walk centre , a soulless place if ever I have seen one, and noted the only change since our last visit was even more shops had closed....best part though is they do have some great restaraunts and our choice for the night was bubba Gumps for a bucket of trash and a few beers ( for mum and dad) and blue slushee for the kids. One of whom dropped theirs around 1 minute after getting it and ensuring most of it landed on a businessman seated close by. Unsurprisingly he was not all that happy. Our server replaced it on the spit no questions asked and we enjoyed a great evening. I was glad too see that except a few runny noses everyone had got over their flu and there were a lot less cold and flu tabs being consumed....

We rested up for our big day in the parks ....it was to be a Disney day!

Sounds like another busy day, despite having to transfer across 'town'. Looking forward to the start of your Disney adventures.

Another great instalment. It's funny, people who haven't done these kind of trips before don't realise how much time is involved transfering from one place to the other, even when you are in the same city. With flu flowing through your family, this was a great day for a more relaxed style and lord knows I love me some Bubba Gumps, although you didn't get the Bourbon St Mahi Mahi which was a little disappointing but otherwise it sounded like a relaxing day.

There is an I-Fly in Orlando as well - Our family wanted to do it last year -but just couldnt fit it in!

Looks like heaps of fun!! Disney should invest in one!

battymum said:
There is an I-Fly in Orlando as well - Our family wanted to do it last year -but just couldnt fit it in!

Looks like heaps of fun!! Disney should invest in one!

My 21 kg 6yo nearly hit the roof when he took off with his helper. My 55kg 12yo took a bit longer. He looked so cute amongst the big grownups and he didn't flinch once...I was very envious....but $40ea for 90seconds was an expensive ride.

Ms. Shuttergirl said:
Another great instalment. It's funny, people who haven't done these kind of trips before don't realise how much time is involved transfering from one place to the other, even when you are in the same city. With flu flowing through your family, this was a great day for a more relaxed style and lord knows I love me some Bubba Gumps, although you didn't get the Bourbon St Mahi Mahi which was a little disappointing but otherwise it sounded like a relaxing day.

It was my second choice but I just couldn't pass up one of those massive crab claws...in the trash.

Sounds like a good relaxing day. Thats a pretty good deal on a big room like that. I'm stilling tossing up where to stay in Anaheim.

Mum from oz said:
Sounds like a good relaxing day. Thats a pretty good deal on a big room like that. I'm stilling tossing up where to stay in Anaheim.

It was the saving grace. We booked as I am Hilton honors member ( so included in tariff is free wifi and continental breakfast). To be honest the hotel was way too big ( aimed at conventioneers) and had a variable service level ( not like the Hilton at universal city/studios). I wouldn't recommend it. We had to wait at the Sheraton park hotel ( about 5m walk and closer to DLR) for a pickup one day and the service, amenities and size were more to our families liking. Would seriously consider this one if we went back that way and were off site. Will cover it more in the next few updates.

Great info on the hilton as we were considering that one. We stayed at the Sheraton Park and really liked it last year. We found the walk to the parks from there to be fine. Our only issue is we need are extra bed and they cant fit more than two queens in a room for our next trip.

marvel said:
Great info on the hilton as we were considering that one. We stayed at the Sheraton Park and really liked it last year. We found the walk to the parks from there to be fine. Our only issue is we need are extra bed and they cant fit more than two queens in a room for our next trip.

If you do book the Hilton look for queen studio rooms. These are the family rooms with 2q's and a sofa bed.

August 27

A great sunny California day greeted us for our first day in the Disney parks. Breakfast was a bit of hotch potch of things. We had vouchers for the Hilton restaurant or starbucks. We choose starbucks as the line was incredibly long to get in for breakfast at the restaurant and they had only given us 2 vouchers ( unlike the 5 up the road for all of us L) . So it was coffee, juice, pastries all around and we found a subway like place called submarina who did a fantastic footlong ham and cheese toastie which was consumed by the 3 lads.

We made our way down to the massive lobby and purchased our week long ART transport ticket. I think it’s a good deal for around $50 for 5 of us for 5 days. Our hotel had its own route ( shared with marriot) and was about 10m non stop trip to the parks entrance.

We had arrived!

Straight through the gates to California Adventure and its new look entrance ( think Hollywood studios) and a look around Beuana Vista Street. Its quite a buzz with lots of activity , singers, characters and the trams going up and down. We wanted to go head first so we went straight off to Carsland USA.

WOW – it’s a sensory overload!

We made our way to get our fastpass for RSR first and were lucky enough to get one for lunchtime. The fast passes are near the bugs life area so make sure you go there first before going to carsland ( lesson learned).

Back we went to carlsand and a stop at the crazy cone motel for some churros and a drink. The churros had some chocolate dipping sauce and were very very nice…..

The main street area is a great replica of radiator springs and has lots of shops and a few eating places. There was plenty of activity going on. We saw lightning and mater go up and down the main street ( I even spotted the guy in black who was steering the remote control for the cars over the raod…cool job).

Our first ride was Luigi’s tires. I had read a lot of negative comments about the ride and to be honest I agree! It was kind of like being in a human sized air hockey machine. It was slow, hard to move and steer . The kids enjoyed it though and the theming was excellent.

We then headed to Maters Junk Yard Jamboree. This is a fast moving ride a bit like the crazy cups over in Disneyland but with a mater tractor instead. Great theming, cool ride and the kids really enjoyed the music and fast moves of the ride.

We took a look through the shops and they are all really unique in their offerings. Ramones is good for adult stuff like tshirts, hats etc. I got a lightning mcqueen / rsr watch for fathers day . I was very impressed!

Both times we visited carsland it was busier than any other part of the parks ( both DCA/DLR) . It was hot,noisy and very crowded. It was hard to really enjoy as the crowds were huge but in most other parts of the park quite small.

Anyhow we went for a walk around to ride soarin before we haeded back to RSR. We grabeed lunch over at the test pilots café while we were there. Soarin is such a lot of fun and no matter how many times we ride it it’s a very enjoyable experience.

Well it was time to head back to RSR and we were pretty excited to be going. We were not let down. The theming and staging areas were really impressive and the when we got to our turn to get in our car it had taken no longer than 25m with the fast pass.

The ride is similar in design to test track. You got through an outdoor section then go indoors for some dark riding and scary moments with all those cars before winding up at luigis and guidos for a race off with another car. Some serious fun as the racers reach about 100km p/h before finsishing up. A sensational ride and nothing left to spare in terms of the way Disney have laid it out.

We spent the rest of the day over taking in grizzly river rapids, TSM & California Screamin before we headed over to DLR for dinner at the Blue Bayou. We were a bit early so with only a 5m wait time we hopped on the POTC ride and enjoyed some much needed air con and jack sparrows company of course. Dinner was a big let down. Our server was just not interested and franky hopeless. Took ages to be served, fed and no followups left us a little surprised how low the standards were from our previous visit to BB a few years back. Food was good though. We headed over to splash after this for a quick dip before heading back to the hotel for a much needed rest.

That's a shame about BB....but it sounds like you had a great time at CarsLand.

Did you buy any food in CL? If so, how was it?

Thanks for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter